Tim Pawlenty goes after the gay vote
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:22:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Tim Pawlenty goes after the gay vote
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Tim Pawlenty goes after the gay vote  (Read 2161 times)
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 07, 2011, 03:52:40 PM »

LOL!

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/bad-romance-tim-pawlenty-talks-about-his-favorite-lady-gaga-songs-video.php

Tim Pawlenty is reaching out to the youth vote -- and showing how much he knows about Lady Gaga.
During an interview in Iowa, with the Washington-based pop culture blog Glittarazzi, Pawlenty was asked about his favorite musicians, which include the likes of Bruce Springsteen and various country singers. Pawlenty then actually brought up the subject of Lady Gaga. "But I've got a question for you guys?" said Pawlenty. "Are you ready: What's your favorite Lady Gaga song?"

After they listed their favorites, Pawlenty discussed his own, showing off his Gaga knowledge. "Well you know, in terms of the beat, I like 'Bad Romance,'" Pawlenty said. "I gotta say, even though she's a little unusual, 'Born this Way' has got some appeal. Now, she's actually very talented. If you go to the end of the HBO special, the Lady Gaga HBO special, and you watch her sing a cappella, 'Born This Way,' she can sing. She can definitely sing -- she's talented -- and she does it a cappella. So, you know, interesting, talented -- a little weird. But you know, if you had to limit your artistic choices to just conservatives, we wouldn't have a lot of choices. You've gotta be willing to tolerate different politics."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WKRPhgnVxFQ

It does seem a bit odd that Pawlenty, who favors amending the U.S. Constitution to outlaw gay marriage, would also like the song "Born This Way," which focuses heavily on gay rights.

Pawlenty previously brought on the Lady Gaga references back in early April. Speaking to a College Republican event in Iowa, he declared: "If this was a Lady Gaga song, the relationship between the youth vote and Barack Obama would be 'Bad Romance.'"
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:24 PM »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TotallyRadical
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:09:30 PM »

This generated douche chills of near-lethal levels.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 09:04:46 PM »

LOL I was going to post just that!

What's next, Michele Bachmann talking about her favorite grindcore bands?
specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 01:16:31 AM »

Pawlenty has the most hilarious way of awkwardly incorporating pop culture into his campaign. That's actually the only remarkable thing about him.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 07:09:24 AM »

I love when candidates try to fit into popular culture...makes me laugh.

Nixon going on Laugh-In and saying "Sock it to me?"
Reagan and Mondale trading words about Bruce Springsteen.
Bush and Gore making fun of themselves the weekend before the election of 2000 on SNL.

Just a few that come to mind.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 05:10:13 PM »

She strikes me as more the emoviolence type.

Cheesy
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 06:16:30 PM »

I wonder what Romney comes up with to counter this. Tongue
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 02:14:40 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmuOkqWgR3g&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 12:56:47 AM »

Well, that didn't take long.

http://tpmdc.talkingpointsmemo.com/2011/07/video-pawlenty-not-sure-if-gays-were-born-this-way.php?ref=fpb

Pawlenty told Gregory on Meet The Press that when it came to whether homosexuality was a choice or an innate part of a person's character, "the science in that regard is in dispute" and that it was unclear whether it was "behavioral or partly genetic."

"There's no scientific conclusion that it's genetic," he said. "We don't know that. So we don't know to what extent, you know, it's behavioral and-- that's something that's been debated by scientists for a long time. But as I understand the science, there's no current conclusion that it's genetic."

As if he hadn't distanced himself from gay rights activist Lady Gaga enough already, he added that he was only "subjected to" her music by his teenage daughters, although it has some "good qualities."
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »

Well, that didn't take long.
Pawlenty told Gregory on Meet The Press that when it came to whether homosexuality was a choice or an innate part of a person's character, "the science in that regard is in dispute" and that it was unclear whether it was "behavioral or partly genetic."

"There's no scientific conclusion that it's genetic," he said. "We don't know that. So we don't know to what extent, you know, it's behavioral and-- that's something that's been debated by scientists for a long time. But as I understand the science, there's no current conclusion that it's genetic."

As if he hadn't distanced himself from gay rights activist Lady Gaga enough already, he added that he was only "subjected to" her music by his teenage daughters, although it has some "good qualities."

What a spineless f***.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2011, 05:44:24 PM »

Bah-ah-rah-rah-rah/T-La-la-la-T-Paw...
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 12:25:06 AM »

Admitting his favorite singer is Ke$ha? I think he's topped Pawlenty already in pop culture references since he has admitted to being a fan of South Park and Twilight but hearing Pawlenty talk about pop culture just comes off as, well a little awkward.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 12:26:14 AM »

Bah-ah-rah-rah-rah/T-La-la-la-T-Paw...

That would make a pretty good youtube spoof. Smiley
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 12:39:33 AM »

Reminds me of this: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=80666.0

Admitting his favorite singer is Ke$ha? I think he's topped Pawlenty already in pop culture references since he has admitted to being a fan of South Park and Twilight but hearing Pawlenty talk about pop culture just comes off as, well a little awkward.

LOL that's quite funny considering what South Park has said about Mormons (one of the few things they've ever got right.)

And a guy liking Twilight? lolwut?

Anyway Huntsman on this might be interesting since he is actually a metalhead. Which of course is even worse than this type of stuff.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 12:14:35 PM »

LOL that's quite funny considering what South Park has said about Mormons (one of the few things they've ever got right.)

Anyway Huntsman on this might be interesting since he is actually a metalhead. Which of course is even worse than this type of stuff.

Huntsman isn't a metalhead. Jon Huntsman is a prog rock head. 
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »

The Twilight author is a Mormon.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2011, 12:28:47 PM »

And who cares?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 12:36:44 PM »

Well, that explains why the number of people who'd never vote a Mormon rose substantially the last decade.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies