Liberal Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 09:42:34 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Liberal Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Liberal Republicans  (Read 5868 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »

A better question is why on earth a liberal would belong to a virulently far-right party. Though to be fair, nearly all such liberals have finally figured out they don't belong in the GOP. We're still waiting for the yokels in Oklahoma to get a clue.

I'm still dealing with that myself, as I slowly lose faith with the republican party... lol
I'd prob become dem if it wasn't for Obama.

Ok, so if you leave.. what good does that do?  There will likely always be a two-party system in this country and a need for parties to contrast positions with one another in order to energize an electorate.  The more moderates leave the GOP, the harder the task is for the remaining moderates and responsible conservatives to provide a reasonable and rational alternative for voters.

DINO hunters can be just as viscous as RINO hunters.  Its always gonna be hard out there for those of us who judge issues individually based on logic and reason rather than always following the dogma of a particular ideology.

I'd be happy if the repubs became more socially moderate. They need to embrace more reasonable and equal stances. The younger generations aren't going to put up with their bigotry anymore, and the push to purify the party is pushing out moderates like myself.

Can someone please explain me why the first step in recreating a big tent party, is to give someone else the boot from it? That doesn't work you know. No party is going to abandon a reliable base for one that will take 30 years to come to fruition. Unless both conservatives and moderates can drop the self-righteousness and accept each other, there will never be a big tent GOP.  For instance there will always be a strong pro-life segment of the GOP and if moderates want a big tent party, they will have to accept them being contented as long as they get contented somewhere's else. That is what big tent party means. That is not what I hear from moderates. What I hear is, "drive those ignorant hill billy's out and don't dare try to appeal to them at all, or I'll vote Democrat". It it is inconsistent and even hypocritcal to decry the push for purity on the right when in the same sentence you deny them a place at the table.  
Hanzo
Rookie
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2011, 11:02:18 AM »

A better question is why on earth a liberal would belong to a virulently far-right party. Though to be fair, nearly all such liberals have finally figured out they don't belong in the GOP. We're still waiting for the yokels in Oklahoma to get a clue.

I'm still dealing with that myself, as I slowly lose faith with the republican party... lol

Ok, so if you leave.. what good does that do?  There will likely always be a two-party system in this country and a need for parties to contrast positions with one another in order to energize an electorate.  The more moderates leave the GOP, the harder the task is for the remaining moderates and responsible conservatives to provide a reasonable and rational alternative for voters.

DINO hunters can be just as viscous as RINO hunters.  Its always gonna be hard out there for those of us who judge issues individually based on logic and reason rather than always following the dogma of a particular ideology.

I'd be happy if the repubs became more socially moderate. They need to embrace more reasonable and equal stances. The younger generations aren't going to put up with their bigotry anymore, and the push to purify the party is pushing out moderates like myself.

Can someone please explain me why the first step in recreating a big tent party, is to give someone else the boot from it? That doesn't work you know. No party is going to abandon a reliable base for one that will take 30 years to come to fruition. Unless both conservatives and moderates can drop the self-righteousness and accept each other, there will never be a big tent GOP.  For instance there will always be a strong pro-life segment of the GOP and if moderates want a big tent party, they will have to accept them being contented as long as they get contented somewhere's else. That is what big tent party means. That is not what I hear from moderates. What I hear is, "drive those ignorant hill billy's out and don't dare try to appeal to them at all, or I'll vote Democrat". It it is inconsistent and even hypocritcal to decry the push for purity on the right when in the same sentence you deny them a place at the table.  

So moderates should go somewhere else in a nutshell? Yeah, that's real big tent try that. Oh wait, you already did that with Arlen Specter and Lincoln Chaffee. Do you just want a pro-life party? What about all those other ones like pro-choicers, pro-gay marriage, and those that don't demonize other demographics? DeLay and Gingrich did a lot of purging of moderates and liberals after 1994, you conservatives seem to forget that.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2011, 02:27:19 PM »

Because having convictions is "demonizing"...
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 01:24:46 PM »

As a self-described "liberal Republican" myself, I feel as if my input is needed.

Truth be told, if it wasn't for 9/11 and the war on terrorism I probably would have counted myself a Democrat a long time ago.

The GOP's neoconservative foreign policy (and their low-tax policies) are the only things keeping me in the party.  I am an unapologetic supporter of Israel and the wars in the Middle East.  I believe that the United States should not be involved in the United Nations and should pursue a more unilateral diplomatic and military approach.  I favor increasing our nuclear arsenal, while at the same time financing the creation of new, nuclear defenses.  I support taking preemptive action against the nations of North Korea and Iran.  I support the deployment of U.S. ground forces to Libya in order to "finish the job".  In short, I favor increasing American influence around the world by military and economic means.

The Republicans' increasingly reactionary, and quite frankly bigoted, social policies are causing me to resent the party I once much loved.  I support women's right to choose, stem cell research, and euthanasia; I also think that the states should be given more leeway in marriage equality and drug legalization laws. I favor immigration reform that includes Amnesty for some illegals.  I support more comprehensive environmental regulations in the name of conservation, not global "warming".  I am a limited proponent of consumer protection and worker's right to unionize.  In all of these things, I consider myself very liberal.

To complicate matters, Obama and congressional Democrats seem to be continuing the neoconservative policies of the Bush years--evident by the Libya operation and continued presence in Iraq and Afghanistan.  However, Obama's obvious support of Palestein statehood and his weak stances against Pakistan are no-starters for me.  Obama's foreign policy is just Bush's foreign policy "lite".

In light of all of this, some ask why I haven't joined the Democratic Party.  This is a fair question, and here is my answer:

To me, politics is much more personal than it is for most people.  I cannot bring myself to identify with the party of latte liberals, animal-rights activists, hipsters, and welfare moms.  For now, I am content being an outlier in the GOP (which suits my "demographic") rather than being a more mainstream Democrat because I feel as if the Democrats, despite their "big-tent" efforts of the past 6 or 7 years, do not represent the America in which I, and other upper-middle class white people, live. 
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »

So moderates should go somewhere else in a nutshell? Yeah, that's real big tent try that. Oh wait, you already did that with Arlen Specter and Lincoln Chaffee. Do you just want a pro-life party? What about all those other ones like pro-choicers, pro-gay marriage, and those that don't demonize other demographics? DeLay and Gingrich did a lot of purging of moderates and liberals after 1994, you conservatives seem to forget that.

You do realize that I supported Chafee in 2006, Castle, Kirk, and Campbell in 2010  and have said that conservatives should stay the hell out of the Kerry by 8 or more states like CA, ILL, DE, NJ, and NE (save for maybe NH if it's a Sununu or an Ayotte style conservative).

If you are done imagining me saying things so you could respond with this worthless pre-formed text, perhaps you can reread my post and actually understand what I am talking about, because obviously you didn't and decided to assume I had said something else.

I support and welcome a big tent party. I ddn't say anything about an all pro-life party either. I said there will always be a pro-life segment in the party. My point was is that you guys don't want a big tent party. You are saying the same thing as the Conservatives. "It's them or us". Well that doesn't make a big tent party. You have to be able to accept conservatives as a part of a political coalition just as they have to accept you. If that isn't possible then there is no basis to form a big tent and someone will have to leave.

And here's a little information, most conservatives despise Delay also. He wasn't exactly a purist himself. Hardly with unfunded entitlements and wars, nationalizing local education authority, etc etc.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2011, 05:12:50 PM »

As a self-described "liberal Republican" myself, I feel as if my input is needed.

Truth be told, if it wasn't for 9/11 and the war on terrorism I probably would have counted myself a Democrat a long time ago.

The GOP's neoconservative foreign policy (and their low-tax policies) are the only things keeping me in the party.  I am an unapologetic supporter of Israel and the wars in the Middle East.  I believe that the United States should not be involved in the United Nations and should pursue a more unilateral diplomatic and military approach.  I favor increasing our nuclear arsenal, while at the same time financing the creation of new, nuclear defenses.  I support taking preemptive action against the nations of North Korea and Iran.  I support the deployment of U.S. ground forces to Libya in order to "finish the job".  In short, I favor increasing American influence around the world by military and economic means.

The Republicans' increasingly reactionary, and quite frankly bigoted, social policies are causing me to resent the party I once much loved.  I support women's right to choose, stem cell research, and euthanasia; I also think that the states should be given more leeway in marriage equality and drug legalization laws. I favor immigration reform that includes Amnesty for some illegals.  I support more comprehensive environmental regulations in the name of conservation, not global "warming".  I am a limited proponent of consumer protection and worker's right to unionize.  In all of these things, I consider myself very liberal.

To complicate matters, Obama and congressional Democrats seem to be continuing the neoconservative policies of the Bush years--evident by the Libya operation and continued presence in Iraq and Afghanistan.  However, Obama's obvious support of Palestein statehood and his weak stances against Pakistan are no-starters for me.  Obama's foreign policy is just Bush's foreign policy "lite".

In light of all of this, some ask why I haven't joined the Democratic Party.  This is a fair question, and here is my answer:

To me, politics is much more personal than it is for most people.  I cannot bring myself to identify with the party of latte liberals, animal-rights activists, hipsters, and welfare moms.  For now, I am content being an outlier in the GOP (which suits my "demographic") rather than being a more mainstream Democrat because I feel as if the Democrats, despite their "big-tent" efforts of the past 6 or 7 years, do not represent the America in which I, and other upper-middle class white people, live. 

No political party will every represent everyone 100%. It is impossible. You can strive to try and make your party more like yourself but in the end politics is about allying with your 70% friend to beat a 90% foe.

I support a workers right to unionize too, but at the same time I support Walker's law in WI because like FDR I don't think it should extend to public sector employees. Once you start getting into every little nuance of every issue, the differences will only diverse more. For instance in a poll we both would check yes to a question about unions in general but maybe we diverge on WI. I support "enviromental regulations" but oppose both a carbon tax and a cap and trade system for various reasons, mainly because China wouldn't go along and they have enough of our jobs as it is. Perhaps you support one or both.

At this point you feel the Republican party represents you more then the Democrats do demographic wise. Maybe that opinion will change maybe it won't, but regardless of which party you choose to go with, there will always be crazies whether it be animal rights activists or fundamentalist christian groups fearmongering about gays in the military. Right now the GOP base is "pissed of an not gonna take it anymore". They were promised things would be a certain way by people like Bush and Delay and now they have realized it isn't and they want blood, moderate blood. If you look at polls the thing that most sets the GOP base off from the Dem base is that they don't have a lick of trust in its leadership at all. They are blaming the wrong people of course in some places, but the first step to overcoming that anger is to understand the very legitimate reasons for it to have come into place. This anger is causing a lot of politicans to cater to it and still others "from the movement" to come into positions of power when they really should have remained activists in whatever town they are from instead of becoming Senators and Congressmen.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies