Minnesota hits government shutdown
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:55:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Minnesota hits government shutdown
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Minnesota hits government shutdown  (Read 1060 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:11 AM »

http://www.kare11.com/news/article/928837/391/What-will-be-open-or-closed

Of course to the Republicans gay marriage was more important than a budget.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:25:13 AM »

In contrast to the PA pubs and Corbett
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:30:46 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if PAers are happy with the level of spending commensurate with the amount of revenue collected.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 11:49:55 AM »

It'll be interesting to see if PAers are happy with the level of spending commensurate with the amount of revenue collected.

Yeah, it's a phenomenon we haven't experienced since Bugsy took over 8 years ago.
t_host1

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 11:48:41 PM »

anybody there - whats going on? for there being no government for nearly 2 weeks - seems like life continues on...

WillK

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 11:53:57 PM »

A resolution will probably be reached once the beer runs out...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/13/us-millercoors-idUSTRE76C5UY20110713

anybody there - whats going on? for there being no government for nearly 2 weeks - seems like life continues on...

t_host1

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:09:35 AM »

A resolution will probably be reached once the beer runs out...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/07/13/us-millercoors-idUSTRE76C5UY20110713

ha!..  need more beer  w e l l - opportunity knocks, smoky and the bandit 3?
BigSkyBob

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 01:13:58 AM »

Reality check: the GOP passed a budget.

Dayton vetoed that budget after the legislature adjurned. Dayton has refused to call the legislature into special session to debate another budget bill.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:20:23 AM »

Dayton vetoed that budget after the legislature adjurned. Dayton has refused to call the legislature into special session to debate another budget bill.

Sounds familiar.  Oh yeah, like two years ago when Pawlenty vetoed the revenue bill that created a balanced budget after the DFL legislature adjourned and refused to call a special session, instead unconstitutionally single-handedly making the cuts he wanted.

The difference between Pawlenty and Dayton, is that Dayton has been meeting with the GOP leaders to come up with a deal.  The GOP has said they won't raise taxes, and Dayton has said he won't accept a budget that doesn't include tax increases on the richest Minnesotans.

Dayton already slashed his proposed tax increase by more than half.  The GOP hasn't budged. 

And there you have it.  Polls indicate wide support for the governor's plan.  And next year, when the GOP is voted right back out of their feeble majorities... I hope they brought a warm sleeping bag; it's going to be a long trek in the wilderness for them.
t_host1

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 08:06:39 AM »

So, there is no government commerce - the Governor, its staff, the legislature & there staff and all bureaucrats are receiving no compensation and, the generators of capital - the equity producers - are voluntarily sending cash to a closed government to which, the cash, the equity, is laying in a mail pouch somewhere? Is that about right?

BigSkyBob

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »

Sounds familiar.  Oh yeah, like two years ago when Pawlenty vetoed the revenue bill that created a balanced budget after the DFL legislature adjourned and refused to call a special session, instead unconstitutionally single-handedly making the cuts he wanted.

1) Yours is a giant aside. The claim you made was that the attention paid  to man-woman marriage by the legislature prevented the legislature from addressing the budget was simply false.

2) You are offering the child's playground excuses that "Tommy did it first!, and, "Timmy did it worse!"

3) Taking you account at face value, I, suppose, that this creates the precident that Dayton could make the cuts he prefers over the cuts the legislature passed. Opps! Wait! Dayton wanted to raise taxes that requires a vote of the legislature. Never mind.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, Dayton has been 50% right and the GOP legislature has been 100% right.

[quote]

And there you have it.  Polls indicate wide support for the governor's plan.  And next year, whenw Dayton's advocacy of doing what is best for Texas, against the Republicans plan to do what is best for Minnesota.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »

So, there is no government commerce - the Governor, its staff, the legislature & there staff and all bureaucrats are receiving no compensation and, the generators of capital - the equity producers - are voluntarily sending cash to a closed government to which, the cash, the equity, is laying in a mail pouch somewhere? Is that about right?

Sounds like a very good reason to call the legislature into special session.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 03:52:59 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2011, 03:58:25 PM by Landslide Lyndon »

1) Yours is a giant aside. The claim you made was that the attention paid  to man-woman marriage by the legislature prevented the legislature from addressing the budget was simply false.

2) You are offering the child's playground excuses that "Tommy did it first!, and, "Timmy did it worse!"

3) Taking you account at face value, I, suppose, that this creates the precident that Dayton could make the cuts he prefers over the cuts the legislature passed. Opps! Wait! Dayton wanted to raise taxes that requires a vote of the legislature. Never mind.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Well, Dayton has been 50% right and the GOP legislature has been 100% right.

Can someone please call the dogcatcher?
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 03:54:50 PM »

And the Democrat caves. I'm ever so surprised.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/minnesota-shutdown-ending-mark-dayton-offers-deal/2011/07/14/gIQAOdxJEI_blog.html
BigSkyBob

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2011, 04:27:37 PM »
« Edited: July 14, 2011, 04:29:22 PM by BigSkyBob »

I love the smell of Democrats capitulating in the morning. It smells like...

Unfortunately, no Democratic capitulation yet. Dayton has dropped the tax increase, but, not his insistence on funding abortion, increasing spending by $500,000,000, and protecting the jobs of bureaucrats. The half-billion dollar personal slush fund is a particularly egregious demand.

The shutdown will continue until the bureaucrats realize that 15% reductions are preferable to losing every nonessential position.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 04:31:02 PM »

Unfortunately, no Democratic capitulation yet. Dayton has dropped the tax increase, but, not his insistence on funding abortion, increasing spending by $500,000,000, and protecting the jobs of bureaucrats. The half-billion dollar personal slush fund is a particularly egregious demand.

The shutdown will continue until the bureaucrats realize that 15% reductions are preferable to losing every nonessential position.

BigSkyBob

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2011, 06:18:19 PM »

I see you wish to pursue childish Alinskite tactics of substituting sarcasm for reasoned debate.

I will let the childishness of your actions speak for themselves.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2011, 09:39:42 PM »

At least he saved the state employees jobs, and it's mostly just delays in funding. Which of course doesn't fix the core issue, but as people on the Minnesota Progressive Project have pointed out, this will help bring down the GOP legislature in 2012 and if we retake the legislature we can fix this crap by forcing the rich to pay for it.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2011, 12:14:45 AM »

I see you wish to pursue childish Alinskite tactics of substituting sarcasm for reasoned debate.

I will let the childishness of your actions speak for themselves.

Frankly, I don't like Alinski. I prefer Chuck Jones.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies