Voting Requirements Amendment (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:22:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Voting Requirements Amendment (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Voting Requirements Amendment  (Read 7515 times)
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« on: December 13, 2004, 08:02:04 AM »

Section Two
In order to vote in the Fantasy Elections, a registered voter must have posted at least 25 times in the Fantasy Elections board between elections.[/i]

Is that 25 posts restricted to just the fantasy elections board, or the whole board in general?

Under my proposed amendment it would be restricted to the fantasy boards, but that's certainly negotiable.

Asking Fritz (or any other SoFA) to impose the above is completely ridiculous, as it would require him to count peoples posts on the Fantasy boards, that is too much work.

As for the questions as to the fate of present voters - as it is worded, this amendment means that all those not above 100 votes on the forum who are registered voters would have their registration invalidated
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2004, 07:56:30 AM »

I don't generally comment on issues such as this, especially where propenents of the measure are people I am answerable to. However, the circumstances that lead to this defeat are entirely of the propenents own making.

This Bill was simply steam-trained to a vote. No debate time whatsoever was allocated. The haste of the Vice President in this case to put it to a vote meant that no amendments could be considered.

I don't necessarily disagree with the Amendment, but it has not been well thought out. This Amendment would have disenfranchised everybody with less than 100 posts; No time was given for the Senate to reach a consensus on the matter. I doubt if all the Senators had read this thread before it came to a vote.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2004, 10:06:11 AM »

For the record I average 2.2 posts per day, thats about 15.4 a week. This has risen from about 1.2 posts per day since I became AG. I don't post unless I actually have something substantive to say and therefore I rarely engage in some of the discussion on the fantasy elections board, though I read most of the threads.

I am in favour of a raise in the limit to stop highly inactive posters just registering to take part in elections, though I consider any activity requirement to be too much of a strain on the SoFA to be practicable. I certainly advocate large jumps in the requirements to run for Senate and President. I would advocate a 1000 post criterion to run for President and a 250 post criterion to run for the Senate. I think 50 seems fair as a limit for voter registration, though I am open to persuasion certainly.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2004, 02:10:47 PM »

Unfortunately I had to have a life this morning, and therefore the daily morning (well the morning here anyway) update that I generally give the status thread has to wait till this evening.

It'll get done shortly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies