MA: An Amendment to reduce the size of the Mideast Assembly (Tabled)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:46:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: An Amendment to reduce the size of the Mideast Assembly (Tabled)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: An Amendment to reduce the size of the Mideast Assembly (Tabled)  (Read 2283 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2011, 04:16:32 AM »
« edited: July 23, 2011, 12:21:31 AM by The Pauper of the Surf and the Jester of Tortuga »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: ZuWo
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 04:31:57 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2011, 04:45:23 AM by Assemblyman of the Mideast ZuWo »

Fellow Assemblymen, there can be no doubt that it appears to have become increasingly difficult to find candidates for 5 Assembly seats. At this very moment, only 3 people have officially declared to run for an Assembly seat in the upcoming Mideast elections. Clearly, this is a situation which is truly unfortunate and damaging to our Assembly.

Reducing the number of Assemblymen to 3 is a drastic step. I have been sceptical of this measure at the beginning since an Assembly consisting of 3 members may encounter serious difficulties as soon as 1 or even 2 Assemblymen are absent for a certain period of time. Yet, I believe there is no other viable solution to the problem we're currently facing. If we were to create an Assembly with 4 Assemblymen there would always be the risk of a 2-2 tie when it comes to voting on proposed pieces of legislation, which would lead to unsatisfactory outcomes because many bills could simply not be passed.

Furthermore, a 3-seat Assembly would finally lead to competitive elections in our region. I am aware that this Amendment might cost any of the sitting Assemblymen their seat in the next elections, but I know that we have to change the current state of affairs for the sake of our Assembly.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 01:49:25 PM »

I am for this bill
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 11:53:09 AM »

Assemblyman ZuWo is right; the current size of the Assembly is impractical and must be reduced. I support this bill as a means to do that.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 02:44:28 PM »
« Edited: July 17, 2011, 02:47:31 PM by Assemblyman of the Mideast ZuWo »

The entire procedure which is necessary for this amendment to be ratified is going to take a while. While we are still going to elect 5 Assemblymen in the upcoming elections, I am confident that we can reduce the seats of the Assembly to 3 for the elections in September if the amendment is going to be approved both by the Assembly and the Mideast people. Considering our struggle to even find enough candidates for 5 seats it would appear illogical to be against a reduction of the seats. However, I think we shouldn't rule out the possibility that, if people in our region become much more active in the future, we could return to an Assembly with 5 Assemblymen one day.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 03:21:33 PM »

If after this bill becomes an amendment we have a trend of competitive and crowded elections, then I will support 5 seats again. When I was a newbie running we had on average of 7 active candidates running from across the board. Once that happens again, I will absolutely support adding seats to add debate, and activity to the Assembly.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 07:01:08 PM »
« Edited: July 18, 2011, 07:07:42 PM by Cathcon »

Hmmmm.... There appear to be four active and enthusiastic members of the assembly, so in having three seats, we'd be forced to sacrifice one of them. Still, given the current state of things, I'd be willing to support this.

EDIT: Is afleitch not running for re-election? If that is true, then we'd have the right number of active and enthusiastic members.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 10:09:21 PM »

Hmmmm.... There appear to be four active and enthusiastic members of the assembly, so in having three seats, we'd be forced to sacrifice one of them. Still, given the current state of things, I'd be willing to support this.

EDIT: Is afleitch not running for re-election? If that is true, then we'd have the right number of active and enthusiastic members.

Remind me the last time you introduced a bill Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 01:58:41 AM »

afleitch is running for Governor. He's the only official candidate at the moment.

The next Assembly will still consist of 5 Assemblymen. The amendment which is currently being discussed is only going to take effect after the September elections if it gets passed.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 10:59:08 AM »

We currently have 6 people running for the Assembly. Maybe now isn't the time.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 11:12:29 AM »

Tmth, you've got a point here. The recent candidate declarations came unexpectedly, but I am glad! Smiley I'm actually considering withdrawing this amendment. If this trend towards more activity continues in the next weeks, a reduction is unnecessary. Of course, if we experience similar recruitment problems before the next elections in September, we've got to have a look at this amendment again. It is not my wish to have an Assembly with 3 Assemblymen, but that seemed to be a necessity a few days ago. Now with 6 candidates, however, there might not be a need for such a change anymore.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 01:14:38 PM »

I say we pass it, it won't effect this race at all. If the next Assembly proves extremely active and we have more than 6 candidates next election we can do a quickie repeal near the end of the session
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2011, 11:29:54 PM »

ZuWo, do you want to keep debate going, or are you withdrawing this?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 02:39:04 AM »

ZuWo, do you want to keep debate going, or are you withdrawing this?

Let's keep debate going. We can get this passed and see how the situation looks before the September elections.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 04:45:41 AM »

I say we pass it, it won't effect this race at all. If the next Assembly proves extremely active and we have more than 6 candidates next election we can do a quickie repeal near the end of the session

I agree. It should be easy to get it tabled and repealed in time for any future elections. I don't think we should be shy about varying the size of the Assembly from time to time to reflect activity.

I think that any Amendment made should reflect that; it should be to allow flexibility.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 04:01:21 PM »

We could always base the Assembly off of the number of declared candidates.  If the number of declared candidates is X or lower, it's 3.  If it's greater than X, it's 5.  Any thoughts on that?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 04:09:33 PM »

We could always base the Assembly off of the number of declared candidates.  If the number of declared candidates is X or lower, it's 3.  If it's greater than X, it's 5.  Any thoughts on that?

That may be an essay way to allow for flowing seats without needing a vote on a regional amendment.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 04:13:10 PM »

I like that idea. A first suggestion could be that if the number of declared candidates is greater than 5, it's 5 seats. If only 5 or fewer people declare that they will run, the Assembly has 3 seats.

Could we simply amend the Constitution by adding such a clause to the section which currently says that the Assembly has 5 seats?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »

I like that idea. A first suggestion could be that if the number of declared candidates is greater than 5, it's 5 seats. If only 5 or fewer people declare that they will run, the Assembly has 3 seats.

Could we simply amend the Constitution by adding such a clause to the section which currently says that the Assembly has 5 seats?

Yeah, we can have quite an easy fix, I think.  I just don't want to introduce an amended amendment until we have a consensus of 1) if this is a good idea and 2) what the threshhold should be.
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 05:53:06 PM »

Yeah, we can have quite an easy fix, I think.  I just don't want to introduce an amended amendment until we have a consensus of 1) if this is a good idea and 2) what the threshhold should be.
1. I think it's a good idea; 2. I think if five or more candidates declare, there should be five seats in the next Assembly. If there are four or less candidates, there should be three seats in the next Assembly.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2011, 03:03:38 PM »

So, MOPolitico says the threshold to bump up to 5 seats should be 5 candidates.
ZuWo says the threshold should be 6.

Personally, I'm leaning toward ZuWo's opinion (that was the number I had in my head).  Does anybody else have an opinion?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2011, 03:10:51 PM »

I vote 6, including write-ins, that makes a competitive election.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 04:00:41 PM »

I disagree with write-ins.  I think the number should be set in stone before voting starts.  Otherwise, if people only vote for 3 people, and more people get written in, voters who vote at the beginning get burned.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 04:04:54 PM »

I disagree with write-ins.  I think the number should be set in stone before voting starts.  Otherwise, if people only vote for 3 people, and more people get written in, voters who vote at the beginning get burned.

That's what I think as well. If 6 candidates (or more) officially declare that they will run, the Assembly shall consist of 5 members. If fewer than 6 people declare, the Assembly gets 3 seats. Don't count the write-ins for the seat calculation.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 04:48:43 PM »

Alright, I concede the write-ins
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies