SENATE BILL: The Protection of Personal Choice Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:04:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: The Protection of Personal Choice Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: The Protection of Personal Choice Act (Law'd)  (Read 8784 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:04:31 AM »
« edited: August 11, 2011, 02:48:06 PM by Senator North Carolina Yankee »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Napoleon
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:02 AM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Protection_of_Public_Health_Act

And I still hate smokers, so I will vote nay on this. Tongue
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 10:17:38 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2011, 10:19:51 AM by Italy : 2 Berlusconi : 0 »

No way. Smoking in public building endangers the health of many people, not to mention their comfort. If there are some people who want to ruin their health, fine, but let them do that at home or in the street.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 12:08:42 PM »

I'm glad the other Senators are standing firm in their committment against a terrible and unhealthy practice.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 12:11:27 PM »

What you are calling public buildings are actually private establishments who may want to allow smoking inside, such as a bar.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 01:44:36 PM »

What you are calling public buildings are actually private establishments who may want to allow smoking inside, such as a bar.

...a bar which may be frequented by non-smokers, who may not want to be poisoned by their addicted fellows.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 01:52:08 PM »

...a bar which may be frequented by non-smokers, who may not want to be poisoned by their addicted fellows.

So they can go to another bar, problem solved. The same can apply to small venues and undergroung clubs.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 02:01:28 PM »

So they can go to another bar, problem solved. The same can apply to small venues and undergroung clubs.

Yeah, let's make a hell of the non-smokers' lifes because they are smart enough not to consume this sh*t. Roll Eyes
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2011, 02:25:38 PM »

Is smoking marijuana legal outside of private residences in Atlasia?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2011, 02:36:15 PM »

What's the point ?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 02:38:01 PM »

What's the point ?

I would be willing to make a compromise.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2011, 01:40:42 AM »

I'm a nanny statist when it comes to smoking indoors! It endangers too many others to allow it!
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2011, 02:07:28 AM »

It looks like this won't pass - but if it does, it would be my intent to veto it.

It's only fair I tell you now.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »

How is the PPHA being enforced? I hope restaraunt owners are not being compelled to act as cops against people smoking in their establishments.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2011, 02:46:37 PM »

Act as cops meaning? They call the police or they ask the person smoking to leave or stop smoking?
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2011, 07:43:45 PM »

I oppose reversing the ban on smoking in government buildings, so I shall oppose this bill. (I might oppose this bill even then, but as it stands now, I will vote against it no matter what.)
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2011, 10:29:33 AM »

Any business that gets 40% or more of their revenue from the sale of alcohol or smoking related products is exempt from this act. I would think that excludes a fair number of bars. So I fail to see your point.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2011, 03:26:21 PM »

I won't support this bill, instead I'd propose amending the anti-smoking bill to allow business owners to allow smoking in their business if they have a completely separate room with separate ventilation.  Most bars would already be exempt... but sports bars could also offer a separate smoking room so people don't have to go outside.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »

I won't support this bill, instead I'd propose amending the anti-smoking bill to allow business owners to allow smoking in their business if they have a completely separate room with separate ventilation.  Most bars would already be exempt... but sports bars could also offer a separate smoking room so people don't have to go outside.

Bars aren't exempt, they are able to apply for exemption. That is a tall hurdle, and small venues would, along with a few other places, wouldn't meet the 40% threshold ever.

I could probably accept an amendment for a compromise.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2011, 08:01:13 PM »

Snowguy, your idea is fine, but I doubt many restaurants will jump through those hoops to allow smoking, which is fine with me, but I'm just saying.

I remember when I was young and my parents would take me to a restaurant with smoking. The other non-smoking area always had a hint of tobacco smell to it, and that always turned me off. I suppose that explains much of why I oppose allowing smoking in restaurants and other public places. Sure, it's a choice of sorts, but if you choose to smoke, you are bothering more people than just yourself. This is coming from a guy who's usually all about personal freedoms, as long as you are not harming anyone else.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2011, 11:58:27 AM »

Act as cops meaning? They call the police or they ask the person smoking to leave or stop smoking?
well the odd thing about this bill is that it says that certain establishments must not allow smoking, but that the individuals who smoke are the ones punished for a violation. so if someone smokes where they're not supposed to, it is mandatory that they be fined even if they didn't know the establishment wasn't exempt.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2011, 02:06:48 PM »

I have problems with forcing establishments to apply to the government for exempttion no matter what.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2011, 05:45:47 PM »

Snowguy, your idea is fine, but I doubt many restaurants will jump through those hoops to allow smoking, which is fine with me, but I'm just saying.

I remember when I was young and my parents would take me to a restaurant with smoking. The other non-smoking area always had a hint of tobacco smell to it, and that always turned me off. I suppose that explains much of why I oppose allowing smoking in restaurants and other public places. Sure, it's a choice of sorts, but if you choose to smoke, you are bothering more people than just yourself. This is coming from a guy who's usually all about personal freedoms, as long as you are not harming anyone else.
My county passed a no-smoking ordinance in like 2004 and allowed smoking in bars from 8pm-3am until 2007 when they could only allow smoking in separately ventilated smoking rooms.  Almost every bar built one... only for it to be a waste of money when the state banned smoking in bars/restaurants outright in 2008.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2011, 07:29:40 PM »

Unless the ban would only cover federal owned property, I fail to see where the Federal Government gets the authority to tell people in privately owned places how to live their lives. If smoking is a problem in those places I don't see why they cannot ban it themselves.

(Not officially in the Senate yet, but just thought I'd give my  two cents) 
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2011, 07:36:28 PM »

My county passed a no-smoking ordinance in like 2004 and allowed smoking in bars from 8pm-3am until 2007 when they could only allow smoking in separately ventilated smoking rooms.  Almost every bar built one... only for it to be a waste of money when the state banned smoking in bars/restaurants outright in 2008.

This leads me to believe that such a ban could hurt businesses trying to accommodate their customers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies