Oslo Bombing and Utøya Shootings
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:50:19 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Oslo Bombing and Utøya Shootings
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15
Author Topic: Oslo Bombing and Utøya Shootings  (Read 23419 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: July 22, 2011, 03:53:29 PM »

It looks like a decapitation attempt.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #51 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56:09 PM »

Just looking the press conference by Stoltenberg.

He looks clearly shocked and broken - understandably.

http://www.tv2.no/nyheter/live

Terrible attack for such a small country that is used to a peaceful climate.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 22, 2011, 04:11:18 PM »

A group called "Global Jihad" has claimed responsibility for the attack:
http://news.google.com/news/url?sa=t&ct2=us%2F0_0_s_0_0_t&usg=AFQjCNG475DPWalSkItLxlwkxlmnqbG8Ww&did=50acb79025e95d97&cid=17593923566514&ei=5-ApTviuDYa9_gbW7fJ1&rt=MORE_COVERAGE&vm=STANDARD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cbsnews.com%2F8301-31727_162-20082156-10391695.html

A young boy who was present at the youth camp said that he greeted the killer and that he looked like a Norwegian with blonde hair, 1.90m tall and well-trained.

Doesn't sound like a Muslim terrorist to me, but more like a Timothy McVeigh version with police/military experience gone mad at the government.
Might be a convert.

Or a guy who dyed his hair.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #53 on: July 22, 2011, 04:19:18 PM »

Given the timing, there is speculation that one person may have acted alone.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #54 on: July 22, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »

There is a police conference now and the police chief said the suspect is a 32-year old Norwegian-born man.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 22, 2011, 04:24:28 PM »

I changed the title.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #56 on: July 22, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »

Even a mass shooting now... What a horrible event... I hope its authors will get caught soon.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #57 on: July 22, 2011, 04:52:08 PM »

Sad  I hope the person (or people) responsible spend a very long time in dark, cold isolation to think about what they did.
olenik2
Norway

« Reply #58 on: July 22, 2011, 05:32:10 PM »

Hi, ive been roaming these forums for some time now, but i feel this is the time to write a post about these horrendous attacks.

Im active on the far left and know people in the youth wing of LO(The largest labour union in norway), one of whom saw and was shot at by the killer, but nobody i know directly have been injured.

This day has been a major shock for all us Norwegians, hitting right at the heart of our Democratic institutions at the governmental headquarters, and the tragedy at the Labour Youth camp where atleast 10 people have been killed.

Ive been on 2 summer camps on utøya and was planning to go this year as well, but now it has been cancelled.

If anyone have questions, just post them here, it's getting late here in Norway, so i'll answer them tomorrow or later depending on the circumstances.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2011, 05:42:33 PM »

Is it likely that this was an assassination attempt on Stoltenburg, especially considering that he was going to visit the summer camp tomorrow?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2011, 06:06:37 PM »

Hi, ive been roaming these forums for some time now, but i feel this is the time to write a post about these horrendous attacks.

Im active on the far left and know people in the youth wing of LO(The largest labour union in norway), one of whom saw and was shot at by the killer, but nobody i know directly have been injured.

This day has been a major shock for all us Norwegians, hitting right at the heart of our Democratic institutions at the governmental headquarters, and the tragedy at the Labour Youth camp where atleast 10 people have been killed.

Ive been on 2 summer camps on utøya and was planning to go this year as well, but now it has been cancelled.

If anyone have questions, just post them here, it's getting late here in Norway, so i'll answer them tomorrow or later depending on the circumstances.

Our sympathies are with the Norwegian nation today.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2011, 06:40:36 PM »

Very sad that this would be the circumstances for your first post. Our thoughts are with you tonight.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #62 on: July 22, 2011, 06:49:36 PM »

The 24 hour news channels aren't even covering this. They didn't cover the recent Mumbai bombings either. What the hell do they do with their 24 hours?
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 22, 2011, 06:53:02 PM »

I'm confused now,

Earlier they were saying that followers of a Kurdish Islamist may have been behind it. Now since there are talks of a "Nordic looking man being seen at both instances" I'm thinking ether a radicalized Muslim convert or equally likely at this point a deranged citizen with anger against the government.

However, despite the sophistication and devastating of the attacks I'm surprised little has been talked about in terms of a state sponsor of today's attacks. For instance, Libya as the Norwegian Air Force has been quite involved in the air campaign against the Qaddafi government leadership and the Mad one himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he is trying to send a message since he is on his way out.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #64 on: July 22, 2011, 07:31:06 PM »

Looks like it was a domestic terrorist. Media is reporting the name of the bomber/attacker is Anders Behring Breivik.

Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002651290254&sk=info
danny
Israel

« Reply #65 on: July 22, 2011, 07:37:46 PM »

And he owned an agricultural company called BREIVIK GEOFARM, so it was easy for him to get a lot of fertilizer for his bomb.

And according to this page the company he owned employed 790 people, so he was probably quite rich.
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2011, 07:55:41 PM »

Welcome to Atlas!  I hope you stick around as it would be nice to have a Norwegian to balance out the Swedes.  It's unfortunate that we can't welcome you under better circumstances.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2011, 08:14:39 PM »

Looks like it was a domestic terrorist. Media is reporting the name of the bomber/attacker is Anders Behring Breivik.

Facebook page here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002651290254&sk=info

If it is the same guy, he looks conservative but not radical.  Seems to be stable, no college, likes Dexter and Caprica.  Half the board likes Caprica.
danny
Israel

« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 09:20:55 PM »

Death toll has been raised to 80, damn.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 09:31:05 PM »

Sad

Those are the sort of figures that looked likely from the eyewitness reports. It's a cliché and all that, but I can never understand how anyone could do that sort of thing. Unconscionable is a word that hits the right sort of tone.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 09:35:55 PM »

Sad

Was that from the shooting or the bombing, or both.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:04 PM »

Sad

At least 80 from the shooting according to the police.  The bombing toll remains at 7 for now.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 09:48:18 PM »

Sad

The shooting

80 dead kids, I might just have to go and throw up somewhere
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 10:08:40 PM »

The 24 hour news channels aren't even covering this. They didn't cover the recent Mumbai bombings either. What the hell do they do with their 24 hours?

23 of those hours are spent covering the fact that its hot during the summer, and the fact that we're under a "heat dome" also known as the atmosphere.  30 minutes are spent on commercials.  The remaining 30 minutes are flashy graphics.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 10:10:43 PM »

My thoughts are with the Norwegian people today.  I hope for justice and I mourn the dead.

It's hard to say something that isn't trite and inane, but I do feel for the people of Norway.  I just wish there was a way to do so that wasn't cliched and trite.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies