Is Alaska a solidly Republican state like Idaho?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 07:46:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Is Alaska a solidly Republican state like Idaho?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Could a Democrat win in Alaska?
No way.

Maybe, but it would go about the same time as states like Idaho and Wyoming.

Maybe, but it would go about the same time as states like North Dakota and Kansas.

It would take a good, Libertarian-ish candidate.

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 55

Author Topic: Is Alaska a solidly Republican state like Idaho?  (Read 8218 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2004, 10:23:36 AM »

Lewis, considering that the government has lots of money, the most libertarian position is truly to give it to the people rather than build bridges or whatever.

I've been to Alaska and I vote 4.
The most libertarian position would be to have never given that money to the government in the first place.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2004, 11:51:55 AM »

Lewis, considering that the government has lots of money, the most libertarian position is truly to give it to the people rather than build bridges or whatever.

The most libertarian position would be to have never given that money to the government in the first place.

Oil companies are the reason that Alaska has that money. The people didn't give it to the government thus they are getting paid by the government even though they didn't pay in. Alaska has no income tax, no sales tax, and gives its citizens the excess money from its coffers. That sounds pretty Libertarian to me.

The Libertarian position is also to give back excess money that is not needed by the government. Give the money back to the people and that is what the Alaskan government does.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2004, 12:06:54 PM »

Oil companies are the reason that Alaska has that money. The people didn't give it to the government thus they are getting paid by the government even though they didn't pay in. Alaska has no income tax, no sales tax, and gives its citizens the excess money from its coffers. That sounds pretty Libertarian to me.
That is a pretty shortsighted view though - since the fact remains that the Oil Companies are paying that money.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies