Arkansas 1996
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  Arkansas 1996
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Arkansas 1996  (Read 926 times)
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 27, 2011, 07:26:06 PM »

In 1996, native son Bill Clinton defeated Bob Dole with almost 17% in Arkansas, carrying all but nine counties.

The same year, however, despite Bill's influence, Arkansas not only "reelected" Republican Governor Mike Huckabee, who succeeded Jim Guy Tucker earlier, but also elected the first Republican Senator since reconstruction, Tim Hutchinson.

Does anything, beside possibly Tucker scandal effect, explain this?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:45:49 AM »

Two races can be very different, and many people are willing to vote for, say, a Democrat for President and a Republican for Governor. For instance, look at Vermont in 2008; Jim Douglas carried every county in Vermont, and so did Obama.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:13:25 AM »

Because Arkansas is full of biscuit eaters (both metaphorical and literal), something that Bill Clinton and Mike Huckabee have in common.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:13:51 AM »

Two races can be very different, and many people are willing to vote for, say, a Democrat for President and a Republican for Governor. For instance, look at Vermont in 2008; Jim Douglas carried every county in Vermont, and so did Obama.

You don't need to explain this to me. I've been talking about difference between federal and state elections many times on this forum.

However, back in 1990s, Arkansas was still a strongly Democratic state on federal level and why did a Republican won a Senate race with Bill on the ticket at the same time?

I mean, Clinton was strong and popular in Arkansas as well.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:30:13 AM »

You don't need to explain this to me. I've been talking about difference between federal and state elections many times on this forum.

However, back in 1990s, Arkansas was still a strongly Democratic state on federal level and why did a Republican won a Senate race with Bill on the ticket at the same time?

I mean, Clinton was strong and popular in Arkansas as well.

Dude like I said they are biscuit eaters.
Mike liked to eat lots of biscuits in the morning.  Bill and Tim obviously liked to eat "biscuits" in the afternoon.
It's a proven fact.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 12:30:14 PM »

Are you putting crack in your bisquicks, Mecha?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies