Reid: "The Only Compromise There Is, Is Mine"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:37:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reid: "The Only Compromise There Is, Is Mine"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Reid: "The Only Compromise There Is, Is Mine"  (Read 1041 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 29, 2011, 12:23:41 PM »

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/07/29/reid_the_only_compromise_there_is_is_mine.html
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:26:15 PM »

lol, tool
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 12:30:55 PM »

God, we need the People's Budget. It'll never pass the corporatist establishment, though.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »

Reid mouths off too much. Why doesn't he take a hint from McConnell that less is more?  I mean the House Pubbies could say that the Reid plan is DOA in the House every day too. What does that accomplish?  One thing that I do hope is that the Reid phony cuts as to the wars are not counted, and if he wants to avoid another vote before the election, he needs to come up with more real cuts. Simple isn't it?  If Harry says no, then I think the Pubs will have the high ground. It is always about framing the terms of battle in a way that gives your team the advantage. That has been what is going on since day one. It is just one great PR battle. The PR battle however is coming to the end. It was fun, but now it is time to choose.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 01:39:39 PM »

If ending W's disasterous wars isn't a "real" cut, then ending the equally disasterous tax cuts isn't a "real" tax hike. Do them both.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 01:55:15 PM »

Well... he is right. Though I agree that we need the people's budget.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 02:05:52 PM »

If ending W's disasterous wars isn't a "real" cut, then ending the equally disasterous tax cuts isn't a "real" tax hike. Do them both.

The issue is what the rating agencies think is real. They are not interested in political rhetoric.
Marston
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 02:16:37 PM »

Reid's plan isn't a compromise. It's a total cave-in that neither completes the underlying objective of averting a budget bust or strengthens the economy in the interim. Same goes for Boehner's loony proposal.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 02:27:24 PM »

Genuine question--I don't know nor am implying any pre-conceived answer, but am merely asking the question.

I realize that the so-called Peace Dividend, which would accompany the winding down of the wars anyway, is not something Republicans are inclined to see as a long-term budget cut.  But why would credit rating agencies not take the cutbacks in spending that result from winding down these wars into account at all?  After all, it's government spending, coming partially through taxes and partly through borrowing, and the funding gets appropriated through DOD as well as granted in lump-sums through so-called "flexible" and "special purpose" accounts.  The less the government spends, the less it has to borrow.  So, why would these wind-downs be utterly irrelevant to the credit agencies?  What is the distinction that they apply to differentiate between a presumably "fake" and "real" budget cut?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 02:48:02 PM »

How about this:

There shouldn't be a debt crisis. For purely political reasons, the GOP has created a massive situation over a routine vote, held the country by the fire, and let the Democrats ignore the real crisis of unemployment, poverty, and inequality.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 02:51:19 PM »

Genuine question--I don't know nor am implying any pre-conceived answer, but am merely asking the question.

I realize that the so-called Peace Dividend, which would accompany the winding down of the wars anyway, is not something Republicans are inclined to see as a long-term budget cut.  But why would credit rating agencies not take the cutbacks in spending that result from winding down these wars into account at all?  After all, it's government spending, coming partially through taxes and partly through borrowing, and the funding gets appropriated through DOD as well as granted in lump-sums through so-called "flexible" and "special purpose" accounts.  The less the government spends, the less it has to borrow.  So, why would these wind-downs be utterly irrelevant to the credit agencies?  What is the distinction that they apply to differentiate between a presumably "fake" and "real" budget cut?

Because they already assumed those "cuts" would be made in the ordinary course, per Obama's policy, and the emerging consensus that we cannot afford to engage in nation building anymore, because we are broke. This is why. And it was something that the ratings guy actually sort of said on the tube to boot. The rating agencies want 4 trillion more on top of that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2011, 03:08:16 PM »
« Edited: July 29, 2011, 03:09:53 PM by Beet »

He's right.

The Boehner plan is a not a compromise. It is an attempt at blackmail.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2011, 03:27:36 PM »

Well... he is right. Though I agree that we need the people's budget.

That is why we are in this mess, too many "People's Budgets."

We really should look at cuts and an income tax increase, possibly with a cap gains/corporate tax cut.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2011, 08:18:46 PM »

The issue is what the rating agencies think is real. They are not interested in political rhetoric.
Your claim that ending two expensive wars isn't a "real" cut in gov't expenditures is beyond political rhetoric. It's willful disregard for the truth. And I'm sure the rating agencies think it's hilarious that the GOP is playing chicken with the debt limit to bend policy their way.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2011, 08:21:36 PM »

Your claim that ending two expensive wars isn't a "real" cut in gov't expenditures is beyond political rhetoric. It's willful disregard for the truth. And I'm sure the rating agencies think it's hilarious that the GOP is playing chicken with the debt limit to bend policy their way.

dude, get a leg, everyone knows the pullout depends on things beyond the control of congress...if obama pulls them out then they are out, if obama leaves them in, congress will fund the troops
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2011, 08:28:14 PM »

dude, get a leg, everyone knows the pullout depends on things beyond the control of congress...if obama pulls them out then they are out, if obama leaves them in, congress will fund the troops
Iraq's done. We spent a trillion dollars there, more or less, over the last 8 years. That's a trillion dollars we could have spent on anything else (paying down the debt if that's your thing) We're no longer going to do that. Money was going out. It no longer will be. That's a cut in expenditures. There's nothing "phony" about it except that it was an expense the GOP wanted.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2011, 08:51:11 PM »

Because they already assumed those "cuts" would be made in the ordinary course, per Obama's policy, and the emerging consensus that we cannot afford to engage in nation building anymore, because we are broke. This is why. And it was something that the ratings guy actually sort of said on the tube to boot. The rating agencies want 4 trillion more on top of that.

There's a similarity between S&P and the GOP here as I see it.  If S&P were to downgrade because the debt wasn't cut enough, our debt would go up.  It's also a paradox to move from "You have a couple years to real a deal to cut 4 trillion" (their recent position) to "You have to do it now" (their more recent position) because watching this particular congress has made you pessimistic a deal can be made.  There is always the chance elections will sort it all out.  Besides which, gridlock on tax reform could actually help cut the debt.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2011, 09:54:26 PM »

Ouch... what a terrible thing to say.  He's somewhat right, the House GOP's plan is too conservative to pass (and the GOP needs to realize that they only control a quarter of the process), but the way he worded that makes him look like the bad guy.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2011, 10:34:12 PM »

Iraq's done. We spent a trillion dollars there, more or less, over the last 8 years. That's a trillion dollars we could have spent on anything else (paying down the debt if that's your thing) We're no longer going to do that. Money was going out. It no longer will be. That's a cut in expenditures. There's nothing "phony" about it except that it was an expense the GOP wanted.
and if there is another war during the next 10 years?...we dont count the expense of wars in long term budget projections because wars are unpredictable
BigSkyBob

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2011, 11:42:11 PM »

Your claim that ending two expensive wars isn't a "real" cut in gov't expenditures is beyond political rhetoric. It's willful disregard for the truth.

What is "willful disregard for the truth" is the notion that if Obama decides we should stay in Iraq, Afghanistan, or Libya longer than anticipated some show vote in the Senate will force him to leave against his better judgment.

Before the vote, our policy has been we will stay as long, and spend as much as Bush/Obama deem approporate. After the vote, our policy will be to stay as long, and spend as much as Bush/Obama deem appropriate. How can no actual change in policy be scored a "cut?Huh"

How about the real spending cut of stop bombing Libya tomorrow?

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies