Chapter Three: Buckets of Warm Piss
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:15:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Chapter Three: Buckets of Warm Piss
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Chapter Three: Buckets of Warm Piss  (Read 24151 times)
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: February 04, 2013, 09:04:39 PM »

While this thread is near the top, I'd like to note that I've taken a leave from The People's Paper to run my presidential campaign.

As we all discussed earlier, your leave has been granted. We look forward to having you back whenever the time comes.

I've only heard about this legendary publication, but have never seen it with my own two eyes. Alas, I have been enlightened.

Full of new hope, The People have decided it is time to continue our tradition of endorsing the winning candidate in the presidential race after taking a few cycles off. I am sure it is an honor for you to see finally see this paper Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: February 04, 2013, 09:14:22 PM »

Also, would it be possible for correspondent Mechaman to do another profile of the candidates as he did in the past?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #127 on: February 04, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »

I'm still waiting on my interview Tongue
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #128 on: February 04, 2013, 09:42:00 PM »

We need to find Mechaman. He was not relieved of his duties!
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #129 on: February 06, 2013, 10:17:26 AM »
« Edited: February 06, 2013, 11:41:01 AM by Senator Duke »

Like Old Times, the Disappearance of Barnes leads to a Special Election

Buffalo, NY - Some things never change in Atlaisa. This is a theme The People have acknowledged for months now, as Their presence continues to take hold in the country. This week, Labor Senator Barnes, famous for his solid service when present, and more famous for his disappearing acts, went inactive and then resigned from the senate, handing The People of Atlasia yet another special election to deal with a week before they head to the polls to elect their next president.

The candidates are a group of heavy hitters. Current embattled President Napoleon, out of sheer fear of being unemployed, has made his intentions known he plans to seek the seat even before leaving office, giving a middle finger to the naysayers that claim his unpopularity will make him unelectable outside of his home region of the Northeast. The other candidates are just as high profile. The Labor Party is running their chairman, Griffin, a longtime servant of the IDS, and The Federalists' are sending Goldwater. Last, but not least, The People's Candidate is Fezzyfestoon, a long time governor of the Northeast. Running under The People's Banner, Fezzy brings his rich experience back to Atlasia. Mr. Festoon exudes competent leadership, and embodies everything The People stand for - open mindedness, dedication to the game, activity, love of alcohol, women, and the propensity to not disappear from office when elected.

The People cannot make a prediction on this race, but it is interesting to note two of the biggest Federalist names have endorsed Napoleon over Goldwater, including the chairman of The Federalist Party. That does not bode well for the conservative from the Mideast. At the end of the day, this election will come down to The Power of The People. And either way, The People will always prevail.

Senator Duke is the Chief Senate Analyst for The People's Paper.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #130 on: February 06, 2013, 10:22:51 AM »

[…] but it is interesting to note two of the biggest Federalist names have endorsed Napoleon over Napoleon, including the chairman of The Federalist Party. That does not bode well for the conservative from the Mideast. […]

?
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #131 on: February 06, 2013, 11:41:11 AM »

Thanks. Fixed. Tongue
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: February 06, 2013, 11:47:10 AM »

The People cannot make a prediction on this race, but it is interesting to note two of the biggest Federalist names have endorsed Napoleon over Goldwater, including the chairman of The Federalist Party.

I'm a uniter, not a divider.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2013, 11:48:23 AM »

The People cannot make a prediction on this race, but it is interesting to note two of the biggest Federalist names have endorsed Napoleon over Goldwater, including the chairman of The Federalist Party.

I'm a uniter, not a divider.

The People can't be divided. The forces of evil can do their best to try, but ultimately, they will always fail.
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #134 on: February 06, 2013, 12:00:23 PM »

I thought Goldwater was from the Northeast, that's why I quoted that part as well.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #135 on: February 06, 2013, 10:28:39 PM »

Mechaman reporting for duty!

As of this moment, I will be accepting any and all pm requests for interviews.

Yes, even him.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #136 on: February 06, 2013, 10:31:15 PM »

Thank god. This night just got immensely better.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #137 on: February 07, 2013, 05:16:14 PM »

Unbridled, uncensored, and unmolested
The Cathcon Interview:

Well good day fellow People!  Today I have the immense pleasure of interviewing the renowned Atlasian citizen Cathcon on his way to the Presidency of Nyman!  Surely, I will conduct this interview in the most nonbiased, nonpartisan way imaginable!  So don't worry guard, you can out that gun away now.
So now, let us begin!

So Cathcon, would you tell us the REAL reason why you're running?
Thanks dawg for agreeing to do this interview with me. I'd like to start off by saying I'm in this race for power. Purely that. Let's not pretend politics is anything other than that.

Well okay then.  Cathcon, I'm looking at your platform.  Sounds like a bunch of bullshit.  Care to explain?
Well yeah. It's largely platitudes. Also attempts at creating patronage positions for my supporters (ahem).

If I must really pry Cathcon, what is your relationship with the President?
He is a former employer of mine that I'd like to say I am on good terms with, though I have no idea how he feels about me.

Have you now, or have you ever in the past, partaken in sexual relations with the President?
Nah. I don't go for that shit.

Okay, I'll take these answers back to Kenneth Starr.  Next question, who did you have in mind when you came up with the idea of Presidential Advisory Committee?  You know, when you become President?
Largely my supporters and voters. From my own party would be dudes like HagridoftheDeep, Goldwater, my running mate Spamage, maybe some cronies from the Mideast. However, I'd also consider people who aren't necessarily supporting me, but I nonetheless consider allies in the War on Tyranny, good people such as former president Snowdawg716 and Senator Oakvale. However, while I would like to foster some bi-partisan patronage, the loyalty of folks like that would have to be tested first by some rigorous examination from my cronies.

Your democracy reforms sound quite progressive.  Care to tell us, the People, what brought this on?
It is out of an inherent love for democracy. Primaries have been a staple of democratic systems since Dave-knows-when, and I'd like to think the members of each party would be trustworthy enough to decide their own nominee.

Okay Cathcon, be honest.  What really pisses you off about Atlasia?  You can lie if necessary, after all that's why you people love to do.
The lack of an adequate civil service that would not only fill a gap in this nation's employment and infrastructure, but also provide jobs for hangers-on, cronies, sidekicks, and advisers to hole up in.

How much lying are you prepared to do to become President?
If only you knew...

How much lying are you planning on doing when President?
The office of President is sacred and must be guarded by whatever lies are necessary to tell the public.

How much lying do you plan on doing when writing your future autobiography, you fucking son of a bitch?
My auto-biography will exonerate my previously muddled legacy and show the Atlasian people what really happened. So yes, lots of lying.

What made you decide on Spamage as a runningmate?  Well besides all the hot passionate anal sex you guys are having on the tour bus?
I'm not going to comment on such allegations, especially not to you of all people. However, it was his great amount of accomplishments during his tenure as Governor of the Pacific and his status as an electable Federalist in that area. Such are marks of a fine politician, and most certainly a fine Vice President.

When did you decide you wanted to be President?
Sometime while discussing the state of Atlasia with friends. It was decided that the Right needed someone to step forward and carry their banner into the future. I'm not sure how I was settled on, but I was.

You have recently condemned the practice of "strategic registration" while at the same time refusing to do anything about it.  Does that mean you are not okay with current laws that regulate the amount of time a citizen has to live in a region before moving to another, since it would interfere with your democracy after all?
I favor the "James Buchanan" approach to government. Denouncing bad things while at the same time recognizing government's own limits in confronting such things.

If these people were bringing military style assault rifles would you change your position?
Nah.

Be bloody honest mate, you are not running to have fun, are ya?
The feeling of power is a much greater high than "fun" could ever be.

What is your opinion of Michael Bay?  Also, what would you do if you met him on the street somewhere?

What is your opinion about Jews?  Would you agree with those who say they are plotting world government under the guise of the Bilderberg Group and the United Nations?
Believe me, if any "New World Order" were being constructed, I would be in on the ground floor. Given that I'm not (as far you know), no, I don't think that there's some "New World Order" plot going on.

Lord Vol-He Who Should Not Be Named has returned.  What will you and your government do to effectively prepare for him and his Death Eaters?
Oh of course. Wizards, Death Eaters, Goblins, and the like are a threat to that average ordinary Atlasian. As a representative of The People, it is my job to protect them from these assholes with their "magic", "science", and "ability".

Your opinion of Muggles?
We, like Hobbits, are a surprisingly strong and resilient people, often dismissed by the elves, dwarves, and other "magic" folk.

Thank you for your time Cathcon, any last words?
Yeah dawg. You, and- and- your animosity, you're bringing tons of negative energy to this interview. You've just referred to- to me by all these bad names, and I, well... my self esteem's hurt by it, you'll feel bad about it later, and- and no one wins from this, man.

Wow, I never heard so much bullsh in my life.  You truly are a genuine piece of dog shit Cathcon.  On behalf of the people, fuck you very much for this interview.  Have a nice day.

See what I mean? You- you're just so freakin' mean, man. Well, I can tell you, once I'm in power, you're not gonna get away with shit like this again, you damn so-called "journalist".

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #138 on: February 07, 2013, 06:33:20 PM »

fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #139 on: February 07, 2013, 06:56:39 PM »

I wish that interview hadn't been unmolested...
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #140 on: February 08, 2013, 12:56:46 PM »

High Times
Interview with Northeast candidate FezzyFestoon:

There are very few more memorable people on the forum at large than the amicable FezzyFestoon.  A figure in Northeast politics as both a Governor and a Lieutenant Governor, Festoon is planning his latest return to politics as a Senator in the special election in the Northeast.  He seems to have a very competitive race that includes the incumbent President as well.
And now if you will, FezzyFestoon:

Let me start off by asking the obvious: what is your reason for running?

Sweet, let's get crackin'. I really couldn't tell you why I'm running, Atlasia is such a needy ho. I guess considering the amount of free time I've accumulated between barely working and thus having no money to do anything, now seemed the right time to sacrifice my eyes and mind to computerland. I was pretty good at it before, so with any luck I won't just be some confusing flash in the pan of Atlasian politics.

Outside of the game, you have made your enthusiasm for the stinky weed well known.  With that said, looking at the current game laws (of which I have no idea) on the matter of the stinky weed, what advocacy would you see yourself doing on this front?
Well, the best why I know how is to just do as much smoking as possible. That way a) people can see how functional a stoner can be and b) the industry can expand...at least near me so I can get more. Hopefully I can push some stuff through to get more people smoking and less drinking or popping pills. Maybe that's the problem with Atlasia, who knows...it certainly would explain a lot if some people were just drunk or conked out on pills all the time.

Is Cocaine a Hell of a drug?
Hell of a drug. God damn, that stuff ain't gonna cut it. Pun intended. Wink

But what about alcohol?  Isn't alcohol at least a little bit O'Fun?
Yeah, I mean there's nothing wrong with some beers and a couple of shots, maybe a bag 'o wine every once in a while (you gotta take it out the box) never hurt anybody. Unless you're dating a sorority chick, then a box of Franz could be more than a little damaging to your evening. You could always bank on a brown-out sweeping away your problems, but that never seems to work out for long.

He Who Should Not Be Named has returned.  Muggles everywhere are in danger.  What crime measures would you implement to catch the bastard?
This is where it all comes full circle. His crime ring is financed by the illegal marijuana trade. We need to spur Atlasian development of the weed industry in order to fight off He Who Should Not Be Named. It's likely to be a pillar of my platform. Along with prison reform that may or may not include reverse Dementoring.

So, what exactly motivated you to run for the Special Senate seat?
Well, when I thought it was gonna be an easy win I thought I'd skip over the training period in the Northeast Assembly in favor of jumping right into the Senate. Now it's more of a case of, "I guess this is happening now."

But dude, all the cool kids run for President!
There's no way I'm running for President, man. No way. That's too much responsibility. If an internet nation of the stature of Atlasia failed at my hands, I don't know what I'd do. Phil could probably easily find me, so the threat of bodily harm is a factor in all this, too. I value my knees. How else would I be able to put my feet up on my massive new desk? On the other hand, I guess my desk would be a lot more badass if I was President. Stay tuned.

You say you thrive on transparency eh?  Well, why did you lie and break that little girl's heart you cheap sniveling bastard?
I was afraid. Afraid to love and to be loved. I'm not perfect, I've got my flaws, love creates monsters. But my personal life will always be an open book. I'm in talks to turn that book into a TV series, so if I don't win this, get ready for some PRIMO reality TV. Jersey shore ain't got NUTHIN on Salth Phully, yo. How's that for transparency?

Fine!  Be that way!  Hmph.. .. . . anyway back to business Fezzy.  Why don't you care about John Engle?
Who?

He got banned for your infractions.  In a very real sense he's like Jesus Christ!  And you don't give a shit!?
Things happen to the little people when you're so much bigger than life. Hey, if you want better than Jeses, somebody's gotta take the fall. Why do you think that dude's party isn't around anymore, huh? Sit on that egg for a minute.

So, one of your opponents is the incumbent President.  How do you plan on beating him?  How do you feel racing against Napoleon?
So far it doesn't seem like being President is much of a positive anymore. I'll just keep letting The People voice their obviously robust issues with the President. From what I've gathered it has a lot to do with stuff I have noooo idea about. It's all about delegation and knowing when to defer to the experts. Who knows better than The People?

What is your opinion of Barnes, the man who decided to quit the seat you decided to run for?  For absolutely no reason at all?
If all goes according to plan, he'll be remembered quite fondly for ushering in the second coming of Fezzy

How does getting The People's endorsement make you feel?  Great?  Powerful?  Invincible?
Among other feelings. Like an immense and growing sense that I may or may not be better than many/all other Atlasians. The People have spoken, and I like what I'm hearing.

Your campaign logo is quite revolutionary.  Who and how the hell did they make that?
An artist cannot convey his vision in words. It probably looked a lot like this when I was crafting it though

Your campaign has come out with an ambitious legislative agenda.  Why?
Dude, I've been gone for years, I gotta give people something. I'm not just gonna walk up and be like, "heeeey, soooo, vote for me?" That would just be lazy...actually, do you think that would work better? Actually working for this job seems like, ugh, too much work.

But, no one ever gets elected for having ambitious and detailed legislative platforms.  They get elected for saying big word bullshit and paying off voters.  Surely you would've know that.  How do you compensate for such an oversight?
Yeah, you're telling me. That's why these fools better remember my reign in the Northeast, I'm pretty much coasting on my strong-arming from yesteryear. Hopefully my few remaining mandated allies (pun intended again Wink) will pull out all the stops to force me into office. I don't have the mind for it anymore, I don't care enough to try to screw anyone over or hitch myself to anybody's wagon for my own gain. Too much to keep track of anyway. All that crap I'm developing is enough, I don't need to take on other, lesser projects.

This interview is still too short, so I'm going to ask questions about your headquarter appearance.  Let me see here, it says that you want to develop high speed rail in this country.  Say some big words about that to add fluff to this interview to make this sounds like we give a shit.
Are you for real? This is taking foreeeever. Just like high speed rail is going to. I'm trying to get the ball rolling, not cure the nation's ailments in one fell swoop. I'm not quite that good yet. But if you want big words, here we go:

Inaction on the part of any governments to prevent overdevelopment by enacting practical, hell any, land control measures has led me to look to solutions to symptoms rather than the underlying issues, as is all too common among government officials. Long commute times and high travel costs contribute to an increase in depression among Atlasians, and only promise to get worse as wages stagnate and populations and costs of living increase. Implementing a high speed rail system as part of an overall dedication to the smart development of our future through investments in infrastructure. We could alleviate congestion while expanding citizens' opportunities for employment. That was exhausting.

Man this is some dope!  Anyway (scans uber long post for more stuff), it also says something about agricultural workers.  Oh wow, this is actually fairly interesting.  May I ask why the campaign focus on the agricultural worker?
The food industry is completely out of whack. And our immigration policy compounds that. Minority farmers constitute a massive majority of our agricultural workforce and aren't even being paid minimum wage in many cases. Children are working long hours and adults have no rights because they're employed under the thumb of corporate agri-business. We need to reform the way the government treats the food industry, because we're all getting fat and it's clearly somebody's fault. I can't blame The People, so the big guy takes the fall again. Call me socialist...

It also says that you believe regional goals should be rewarded for going along with federal priorities.  Under such a system, aren't you afraid of an increasing amount of federal hubris in the affairs of regions?
No, I don't support mandates or punishment by withholding resources or whatever, just rewards for progress. As clogged and dysfunctional as the federal government is, there's a much bigger need for some more parity between the activity of regions.

This interview as dope man!  Nice talkin to you!  Any last words?
Damn, not really! Vote for me?

Thanks for your time Fezzy.  I wish you luck on your quest.

Thank you, good sir. It's been great fun as always. But also, you're welcome.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #141 on: February 08, 2013, 12:58:18 PM »

Excellent as always.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #142 on: February 08, 2013, 09:17:55 PM »

The Game Reform Stalwart
The long time coming interview with Marokai Blue:

Part One

On this edition of The People's Interview, I interview an often overlooked legend in the field of game reform.  All too often accused of using the issue of Game Reform as a political football, Marokai has endured the most scathing of critics and bickering to put forward an issue that he believes means more in the long term than petty left-right squabbling.  By far the most descriptive Presidential candidate, Marokai now seeks to go far and beyond his usual reform proposal in the past running as Senator or Vice President.  This time, as a candidate for President, which many citizens would say has been a long time coming, he offers a radical new initiative, the "New Direction", to change the way we will see Atlasia as a game.
It is in the wake of his momentous presidential run and his ambitious campaign program that I accepted his request for an official interview with The People with great zeal.

First off, how you feeling?

Anxious. Tongue Not new, though. A lot depends on the outcome, you know? If I win, I have to write a lot of legislation and work a lot of things out, so it's easy to just sometimes sit back and think "Gosh, I really hope this is over soon!"

You've always been a voice for game reform as long as I can remember.  So often endorsed of the idea were you that you (and others) have oft been accused of using the "game reform" issue as pure electioneering rhetoric.  How would you silence those critics?

Bgwah once said to me "You're still selling it, so I guess people are still buying it." But the truth is, when have the majority of Atlasia ever been "buying" it? If they were buying, I would've ran out of goods by now.

Reformists have been a very visible streak in the game but we've always been a stubborn minority, our ideas keep getting headlines, but rarely ever passage in the Senate. Ideas that do pass are either amended to hell so as to be worthless without future changes (the Initiative system) or repealed soon after passage (caucus system). Game reform will be an issue until it's given a fair chance, and so far, it has only been blocked or watered down at almost every turn.

So I say to these folks: Give it a chance. Would tinkering with election systems and VP responsibilities be the end of the world? Of course not, so let it actually have a chance of going somewhere before we start screaming about fire and brimstone.

I commend you greatly for your repeated insistence in the reminder that, while the issues in Nyman are very similar to real life, that all of this is still just one bloody game.  I myself have repeatedly become frustrated with the seriousness and zeal and bitterness thrust into this game by many (including myself).  The petty feuding between members of the political elite and the pure obstinance of some are a blatant symptom of the problems this nation faces with taking a chill pill.  Mark my words Blue, I was dragged back into this position after some pretty insistent begging by the People for my return.  Although the role of newsperson is a lot less hectic and stressful than that of an active game player, it still bothers me that we see such elementary bickering over what is at it's deepest roots is just a game, damn it!  Yes, I know I just broke the fourth fuckin wall here People, but just indulge me for a minute!
Okay, here's this interviewer's questions: First, what the hell is wrong with us?  Second, where in this process of the game do you believe that most of us struggle with the concept of "having fun"?  Third, what can we do, as advocates of fun, to combat this all too pervasive trend in this game that causes these feelings of great animosity?

I really really f**king hate that about this game too, you're not alone. Maybe I'm just a dork, but I would have a lot more fun in this game if it, well, worked better, and there were more opportunities for activity and interesting positions. Some other people seem to have more fun when the game resembles a reality show simulator.

Nobody here is "cooler" than anyone else. We're all pretty much losers and geeks in our own way. We're on a political forum where much of the discussion is taken up by demographics and statistics, and this is effectively a Model UN style game we've got going on here. No one really has any grounds to go about big-dicking around as if they own the place, that includes me or anyone else. It's a game! And we're a community. And community's should respect each other. Games can work better, and be fun. Competition can be healthy, without devolving into years-old personal issues.

Someone once joked about a group of people in EVE Online's idea of what "metagaming" means. "Their idea of the 'metagame' is punching someone in the face while playing backgammon." I think of that joke a lot, because whatever gaming should be going on around here, it should remain within the context of the game, and not bleed out into hurting feelings and bullying.

Reading your campaign's first release, you've indicated your belief that Atlasians have lost the heart of game progress, that is that this Atlasian game is in need of occasional reform to keep it interesting.  Maybe this is too much like my last question, but when/why do you think this has happened?

I think Atlasia got really big, and a lot of time passed. It's no offense to say that when a lot of new people join something, it's easy to lose the spirit of what something used to be. On top of that, we had bigger parties and institutions than ever before, and it's in a large organization's best interests for things to remain the same as much as possible. I don't think it was the result of any big evil plan, it's just one of those things where I think once you mention "Hey, we've changed a lot before, none of this is unprecedented!" a lot of people really will open up and realize "Hey, you're right!"

A lot of people just feel like they have to keep themselves muzzled in a big, intimidating game. But that's not the case; everyone should be bold about these things.

You have recently called you and Duke's campaign approach towards game reform the "New Direction".  Is this a blatant rip-off of the "New Deal"?

More or less. I wanted something catchy!

Marokai, I'm not going to analyze all of your campaign's pledges and stances on issues in this one interview.  To do so would require a novel.  So, I'll note some of the essentials.  First thing I noticed is the quote in your campaign launch by PurpleState about regions.  I've known you a long time, and frankly I find it interesting that you've chosen the issue of regional elections as a key point issue in this election knowing your history on the issue.  Care to commentate on that focus?

Bottom-up change seems easier than top-down change. Funny for a Socialist to say, right? Tongue As regional governments matter more and more, it seems a sensible avenue to take change instead of a centralist approach.

Much like the joking FDR comparison above, actually, what I want is change to the way Atlasia works, I'm not too fussy about the details of how those change works, so long as it makes the game more fun and more exciting and more fair. A period of "great experimentation" is definitely in order. Anyone who says things are fine and don't need much change are trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

What has caused this great shift in your view of Region Rights?

Back in 2011 I saw the way the winds were moving on the regional level; toward activity and great change and competition. I was never a centralist ideologue, you see; when I joined Atlasia, regions were stale, and participation in even national elections was pitifully low. The insistence on maintaining regional governments and regional senate seats seemed like a boring waste of time.

But people like Purple State, hence the quote in my platform, proved me wrong. Regions proved they deserved the representation and prominence, by reforming themselves from the activity wastelands they were in 2009 and much of 2010 into bustling organizations that they are today. There are still problems (the Midwest is in the middle of attempting to reform itself, but I have hope) but the solution should never be subtraction, it should be addition! Give more things to do, find more responsibilities, make way for new people to rise up from the bottom. That's what regions have proven they can do.

More than that, they've proven they can be more interesting and movable than the federal government. If the Senate can't bring change well enough, why not give that responsibility to the regions?

Admittedly, I might've misinterpreted your earlier views on this matter.  It's just, some of these proposals are some of the most radically pro-region rights positions I've seen spouted by a candidate running for the office of President.  You've even proposed instituting some sort of electoral college program to give weight to populous regions, as a measure of their success.  What exactly is driving this zeal?

Desperation is the greatest motivator, they say. You're right that they're big changes; I'm not in the race to be a figurehead! I'm tired of seeing Atlasia never make changes, but always claim they're tired of things being as they are.

So many people, day in and day out, claim they are getting bored with the game, but they vote for the same people over and over again, instituting the same boring policies over and over again. So, people want change? Let's see them vote for it this time. What's driving my zeal? A desire to change things, because they have to be changed. It's simple!

You've addressed the Fusion Ballot Amendment.  Personally, I find the fourth part of the Amendment, that gives the right of parties to prohibit candidates from appearing on their ballot, to be undemocratic.  Would you agree with my summation?  If so, would you support means that would get rid of such an undemocratic measure?

I want to get rid of the whole thing, so you're in luck. Tongue It's not even being actively enforced by the SoFE anymore, and that's understandable. It's not even an actual fusion voting system. I want to scrap it and replace it with a proper fusion voting system, in addition to lowering the requirement to be considered a "major party" so we can encourage smaller banding together coalitions of modest sized parties.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #143 on: February 08, 2013, 09:26:42 PM »

Part Two
You've mentioned support for introducing measures that would allow the Executive Branch greater latitude in getting involved with the legislative agenda.  This would include allowing the Executive to introduce legislation and giving the Vice President the full powers of a Senator.  While in nature a good reform, how would you respond to critics that such a change would be a violation of the principle of the three branches of government?

I would respond by saying "It's a game!" We aren't modeled after the United States or any other actual country, we're our own thing, and if allowing the executive to have a greater say in legislative affairs makes the game more interesting, and results in more active Presidencies, wouldn't that be worth skipping over a silly and academic worry? The practical positives far outweigh the philosophical negatives, in my view.

I'm open to compromises though. Allowing the VP to have Senatorial powers, but not be able to vote on impeachments or veto overrides, seems like a good way of accomplishing most of the goal while reducing the potential abuses.

Just what is so unattractive about the title "Secretary of Federal Elections, you damn dirty socialist!

It's a wonky technocratic name! But, it's at least one of the least offensive. "Secretary of Internal Affairs" just sounds like a huge bore. making the names more straightforward and less professorial might make new people show interest in the jobs.

I'd also like to create a "SoIA Guide, SoEA Guide, GM Guide, etc" essentially creating handbooks giving a basic outline of the jobs respective powers and responsibilities. Purple State did that by making an "election administrator's handbook" which was great at outlining the responsibilities in a straightforward way. It's all about getting more people in the cabinet.

I must ask about this Regional Equalization Amendment that you have in your campaign booklet.  Strategic Registration, as it has been called, is a contentious issue in Atlasia.  So is, as you mentioned, the tendency for regions to fall into disrepair from inactivity.  You have suggested a so-called "emergency exception" to be activated by the Senate in times of activity lull.  What general guidelines would you like to see in place for such a measure that could be corrupted by Senatorial intrigue?

Only allowing it to be used once a year would be the most straightforward way of preventing the "emergency" from being invoked. But there could be other ways of doing it; making it require a unanimous vote in the Senate (this way all regional Senators would have to give their say-so) or putting it up for a referendum in our National Initative System before it can be invoked.

I think it's a really important thing, though. There's always a weaker link in the regions that needs help getting on it's feet once in awhile. The idea was actually a modified version of Canada's procedure of giving extra money to what is considered to be the poorest Province, and then when that Province is no longer the poorest, it's given to another Province. It's a way of reinforcing our weak spots. Some good people could make the Midwest a bustling zone of activity if they tried; and it could reduce the overpopulation in places like the Mideast or Northeast.

You seem a bit confident about unification with Canada under a Marokai/Duke administration.  How would you see this accomplished?

I think working in conjunction with a GM would make this the easiest way to go about. I'm relatively sure Atlasia has their own "origin story" as it were, somewhere around here. It would be no more unbelievable than the founding of Atlasia itself, and we all have no problem with that, you know?

It's possible we could also treat it more like a dual-citizenship EU type deal, where everyone here can move to different parts of Canada and Mexico, and they remain separate entities, but they can still vote in Atlasian elections and be considered a separate demographic. But I'd prefer outright annexation; it's simpler. GM involvement here is key, regardless of how we go about it, to give it a backstory and proper rationale.

I, being a former Midwestern citizen who was active in the Alping, approve of the Streamlined National Initiative this ticket has voice approval for.  If this is (hopefully) passed, how would this ticket go about implementing such a system?

Well, the Midwest itself and holding the system up, actually. I managed to pass a Constitutional Amendment while I was Senator late last year to reduce the signature requirement for our initiative system, and it passed in three regions, and failed in one. The Midwest, sadly, didn't vote on it (and a whole bunch of other things!), so ratification depends on the Midwest.

If it passes, though, it would reduce signature requirements to make it dramatically easier for things to qualify for the ballot. Votes would be held in the off-months (months where there are no national elections being held. January, March, May, July, September, November) which helps reduce the post-election lulls in activity the game always goes through. It helps keep activity at a more constant, and the best part is that you don't have to be elected to participate; anyone can pitch in. Smiley

Your proposal for "Repair Our Wiki" sounds like fun.  Frankly, I think the absence of a silver star program for those who update it regularly is what is chiefly responsible for the behind the times updating of many pages.  Though, and I must ask this, how do you plan on handling petty squabbling between editors, like the kind we saw between Antonio V and Libertas over the official colour of the "Populares" Party?

Ideally, the President and an appointed Administrator of ROW would be able to effectively prevent controversies like that by just refusing to award points and rewards to those who make edits if they get into a bitch-fit.

I don't want to encourage editorializing in the wiki, though; simply fixing outdated information, inaccuracies, and incorrect formatting. The original Repair Our Wiki functioned as an "on-call" organization, where people who didn't have time to edit things themselves could point out problem-pages for those who did have the time to edit. Hopefully those who volunteer for the organization just have the best interests of the wiki in mind.

What's the big deal with the "State of the Union" address?  Why do you care so much about making us sound like those godless American commies?

It's almost never used! I just hate the idea of a section of the Constitution going completely unused, that's all. Sad

By now, many know of your zeal of increased activity, but fewer seem to know the gusto you show for making the Vice President a relevant position.  What drives your efforts in this area?

Easy! I don't want the Vice President to be a political football. By giving the VP actual responsibilities and a real government impact, it makes the choice of a VP a much more weighty one; a candidate could no longer just pick an ideological opposite for political impact without it having policy impact once they're in government, because that VP would have a say in legislating too.

I don't think we should abolish the position. Like I said before, addition, not subtraction! Give it more responsibilities, give it more powers, make it more interesting and exciting, make it an actually worthwhile position. Getting rid of it is the easy way out, and I hate for us to take that route. By giving it more powers, we improve a present position, and make tickets for President have greater ideological consistency. It's a win-win.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #144 on: February 08, 2013, 09:33:19 PM »

Part Three

I want to take a moment and say that it is about damn time we made "deregistration" a reality.  With that off my chest, I just now got to your economic section.  And really, with much apology to the reader for omitting this, but outside of Atlasia you are well known for being a stalwart of left wing causes.  Your very first item under economics is the "Social/Economic Development Zones".  What exactly does this program do (I think, while it's aims were detailed, the actions of the program seemed a little vague)?

The SEDZI Act highlight specific depressed locations of the country and blankets it in a host of stimulative measures, instead of just letting the poor areas of the country fall behind. It provides infrastructure funds just for those locations, it temporarily abolishes all sales and business taxes for a full year, and creates a program that subsidizes up to 80% of an employee's wage that is hired through that system. (This was modeled after a very similar wage-subsidization program in Germany and Florida that are quite successful at reducing unemployment.)

Unfortunately, it's also basically never been used. The hope was that the SoIA or GM would work with regional governments to highlight areas for implementation of the Zones, and would do so on a cycle of a few months or so. But sadly this hasn't happened yet. I'd like to pressure all involved to do so as much as I can within the federal government's power.

And thanks for the support on deregistration. Wink

Again, I won't cover all of your campaign's initiatives for the sake of time (though, this interview is stretching it), but one of the things that did strike out to me is this campaign's brief statement on an Amendment to Revoke Corporate Personhood.  Do you personally believe that the presence of large corporations, with untold amounts of wealth and ad space, present an everlasting danger to the existence of Atlasian Democracy?  Would it be hyperbole for me to suggest that the recognition of Corporations as "people" is as real of a moral hazard to this country as the issue of slavery?  If Corporations are indeed people, would they not be slaves by nature to the special interests and lobbyists who buy the voting power of said Corporations through stock ownership and therefore illegal?

Yes, I do believe they present a danger to Atlasian democracy, and democracy all over the world, and that is why I'm standing firmly by my proposal to revoke corporate personhood.

Though your argument over their status as slaves is an interesting one I'd like to have the court look into just for funsies. Tongue

You and Duke have obviously put a labor of love into this campaign.  Over the past year, as indicated by Duke, what would you say has been the hardest part of organizing this campaign?  The funnest?

The hardest: Convincing people that our ticket is based on true love and not political opportunism. He's one of the closest people to me in Atlasia and I trust him with my life. But, as always, some people will try to find ways to accuse us of all sorts of things, you know? I wish people would just understand that I don't do that stuff. If I pick someone, all I care about is that we're on the same philosophical page, and that I can trust him. Duke is that guy for me.

The funnest: Proposing things! Brainstorming! I love that s**t! As hard as it can sometimes be to dedicate hours of time to writing my proposals, Duke and I have had an utter blast chatting together about our views for the future of this game and how fun certain systems could be if we gave them a shot. We concocted a veritable manifesto of reform, and every ideas was really cool to imagine and work out. That's the fun I get out of this game. Smiley

My good man, I must stop this interview now out of fear of going over my margins in brevity.  Any last words before I bid you adieu?

Just that I encourage people to see past the hotness of the moment, and think about who you want in office for four months, proposing things, working with others, and crafting a vision for their term. We have Forum Community Matchups and Opinion Of threads for silly Prom King and Queen contests. Tongue

It's been a real pleasure interviewing you Marokai.  I wish you and Duke luck in this upcoming election.

Thanks Mecha. You're pretty awesome too.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #145 on: February 08, 2013, 10:05:28 PM »

Thank you for the interview, Mecha. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #146 on: February 08, 2013, 10:32:06 PM »

How unsurprising that The Paper refers to me as a "piece of shit, yet wishes Mr. Marokai well on his campaign. Very little surprise at all.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #147 on: February 08, 2013, 10:37:43 PM »

How unsurprising that The Paper refers to me as a "piece of shit, yet wishes Mr. Marokai well on his campaign. Very little surprise at all.

You're well aware that The Paper does not endorse any of the statements made by our columnists. It is merely the publisher of such opinions.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #148 on: February 09, 2013, 08:53:03 AM »

A Culture Warrior
The People's Paper Interview with Senate Candidate JCL

As a correspondent/journalist/whatever you call it for the People's Paper I have the privilege of interviewing some pretty unique people.  However, in Atlasian politics there are very few politicians who stand out as much as the outspoken Mideast citizen JCL.  Being an observer of the man for some years, I must say that although at times I have admittedly had some nasty turns of stomachs at watching his advocacy of certain issues, he should be most commended for, in this nation more than others, of standing up for what he believes is right.  Which is why, when he humbly requested an interview with this prestigous paper, I jumped at the opportunity.

My good man, how're ya?

I'm fine. I hope you are as well

I hear you're in mushy sappy love, care to explain?
There's a girl irl that I like. Where that goes only time will tell.

So, one of the first things that comes to my mind when someone mentions "JCL" is "pro-life".  You've seemed to always been a passionate advocate for pro-life issues and causes.  What made you such a devoted crusader for this cause?  When did you hear the calling?
I've always believed that life begins at conception and thus must be protected. The taking of life is not just except under extreme and clear circumstances.

I'm sure you were here around the time when the Atlasian pro-life movement was at it's height with abortion bans in three out of the five regions (Mideast, South, and Northeast), which is quite a remarkable achievement in it's own right in this centre-left country.  Your thoughts on that?  Reminiscences?
I wasn't apart of the game at that time.

In a nation of almost constant movers, who move regions at a whim or the drop of the hat, you've remained true and steady in staying in the Mideast.  I myself have admittedly moved to a different region every six months or so since I first registered as a Midwest citizen in June of 2009.  What motivates you to reside in this region, politics and culture be damned?  Do you consider longevity in a region to be an important character issue when running for office?

Actually I do. Our laws show a balanced compromise between both extremes of limiting and liberalizing such movemen. It should stay as it is.

Which brings me to my next question: throughout history in this country blatant carpetbaggery has been all too common.  Entire waves of political hacks like to storm regions in a bid to, by political force, change regions overnight.  I myself remember when the Northeast was a haven for the libertarian leaning Populares party (of which I was a member of) and the Imperial South was a similarly supremely anti-tax haven (though, the illustrious career of one North Carolina Yankee would disprove whatever trends have occurred down south).  Now, the Northeast is a center of liberal reform and the South has made strong overtures towards Labor.  Current laws dictate that a poster must wait at least six months before moving.  What is your opinion about current movement laws?  Would you do anything different to address this issue?  Does this issue even need to be addressed?

The laws we have are a proper balance. So let stand as it is.

I see that you are running for Senate.  And it seems, if what I read is correct, you've gotten the endorsement of the Liberal Party in your bid.  How does that make you feel?

I've been making inroads with liberals on common intrests. Like the laws cracking down on traffickers. If they have endorsed me I'm greatful. If not I hope they would consider doing so again to contuine that work.

Once more, you've taken a strong stance against what you call "the reliberalization" of abortion laws in your own region and in others.  How do you, in the Senate, plan to combat abortion?

This is a regional matter. I hope the current assembly can bring back the old law. If possible maybe banning abortions after the first trimester with the exceptions of rape and if the mom's life is in danger.

You've also mentioned displeasure with the way your region now elects assembly members.  Where exactly have they gone wrong (I'm incredibly ignorant on Mideast politics) and what is your suggestion for reform?

This issue should've been up to the people. The next time a change in electoral law is debated, the people should be given a direct vote regarding that proposed change.

As I recall, you've been a regular in the Mideast Assembly.  How has your experience in that Assembly affected you?  What do you love best about it?  Your least favorite thing about it?

It was helpful in developing a profile nationally. I wish I could've been more active in the two terms I was part of it.

Gun control is a very contentious issue in this nation.  Candidate Winfield recently came out with a blistering support for stringent control on gun rights.  You yourself have argued for background checks for criminals.  What is your opinion of the gun debate?  Not the issue, but the way this issue is handled in the realm of public policy?

This is indeed a sensative subject. How to properly balance safety and liberty. I'm rather libertarian on the gun issue but have an open mind towards those who think stringent controls should be law. I was shaken like those in the Northeast when Sandy Hook happened. If we had a stronger respect for life things like this would not be as prevalent. Lets have an honest yet civil discussion about this for everyone's sake.

Just what exactly is your approach to environmental issues?

First we need to get away from foreign oil. We have a much better solution under our feet. Natural gas. Its cleaner fuel and the technology for it is here and cheap. We should be good stewards of the land. Yet we can't stifle job growth in the times we are living. Find ways to drill with minimal environmental impact. 

Something that jumped out at me: your campaign recently mentioned something about human trafficking.  What exactly motivated this campaign to make an explicit mention of it?  Do you plan on becoming a leader of this oft ignored crusade for human rights?

Out of my own experience with abuse. Though what I endured is no comparison to the abuse endured by victims of human trafficking. These victims need justice and our government needs to be there for them. Why hasn't the national government taken interest on this issue? This is where both regions and Nyman must work together to help these individuals and bring swift, strong justice to the evil folks trafficking women and kids.

You've mentioned that you want to take a very careful foreign policy that would neither infuriate the pacifists or neoconservatives.  Good man, how in the world do you plan on accomplishing that!?

Have you heard of the Christian Just War Doctrine? A few months ago, my pastor spent a service speaking on this issue. The message is called Reconciling With War. It's on Itunes and my church's website. Also we need to look at the ramifications it places on vets coming home. How can we help them adjust back into civilian life is very important.

What would you say to those who have threatened to leave the Mideast if you're elected?  How does such sentiments make you feel?

Disappointed. One of these individuals is a member of the left that I respect. We all want good governace lets find common ground.

I see you support a "flatter" tax structure.  Might I ask how would you like to see this done?  Aren't you concerned that a flatter tax rate might require raising taxes on the lower classes who can ill afford the taxes they got now?

My structure is a flattened version of the Clinton tax rates. It actually keeps rates rather low for our lower income earners. What is more important is cutting down the debt while letting folks keep as much of their income ws possible. Not stealing from the rich but not disregarding everyone's civil obligations regarding this issue.

You are known as a traditional person.  You have also indicated support for the LGBT Dignity Act.  What portions of it made you favorable towards it?

The fact it honors religious freedom. I believe that each individual should be treated with dignity and respect. I may disagree with the lifestyle, however extremists like Westboro Baptist need to take a few more cues from Jesus. He hung out with those who were looked down upon by the religious and societal elites of his day due to the choices they made. While he did not excuse those choices he loved people in a way that led many to turn from those past sins and to folloe him. Look at John Chapter 8 for further understanding regarding this.

JCL, it was really nice talking to you for this interview.  I wish you the best of luck in this race and in your future endeavors.  Thank you for requesting this interview.

Thank you for taking you time to interview me.

Fellow Atlasians,

Let's have an open, honest and civil discussion on the issues we all face and come together to find solutions that respect both liberty and governance.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #149 on: February 09, 2013, 01:23:11 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2013, 01:36:09 PM by CountryFree »

Scandal, Lies!

This journalist has just gotten word from a source that JCL's statement, both in his campaign thread and in this interview, that he received a Liberal endorsement is inaccurate.  The source was firm in his belief that what JCL has indicated in the campaign thread was a lie and asserts that there are "no" Liberal endorsements whatsoever of JCL.  I have taken the liberty of searching the Atlasian Election thread for Liberal Endorsements and so far my adventure has proven quite unsuccessful at finding endorsement rounds much less Liberal endorsement of candidate JCL.
The People don't like to be made to look like fools, whoever is giving us false information.  We demand an explanation.
Candidate JCL's statement in the interview, however, shall remain uncensored.  As one can quite clearly read, this journalist included "if what I read is correct" right before asking about JCL's Liberal endorsement.  In the event that we have been lied to by JCL I fully intend to keep up evidence of his disgrace for posterity.
Anybody else who wishes to offer a few words or inquiry into this matter may contact the People's Paper with more information.  Thank you for reading dear citizens, and keep an ever more vigilant ear for fabrications wherever they appear.

Mechaman
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies