Are we ever going to have a president born in the 1950's?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:43:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Are we ever going to have a president born in the 1950's?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Are we ever going to have a president born in the 1950's?  (Read 7734 times)
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 31, 2011, 03:03:55 PM »

Most of the 50's kids are getting old, and not many 50's kids are in the running, just more 40's kids, a few 60's kids, and one 30's kid who has no chance of winning.

So will it happen eventually?
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:11:58 PM »

Most contenders for 2016 are 50's kids IIRC.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »

If Romney wins in 2012, he will be reelected in 2016.  All presidents who defeated an incumbent have gone on to serve full terms.  In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president. 
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 09:29:59 PM »

If Romney wins in 2012, he will be reelected in 2016.  All presidents who defeated an incumbent have gone on to serve full terms.  In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president. 

Carter? Benjamin Harrison?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:59:07 PM »

Carter isn't a good example, he was running against Nixon's ghost, not Ford.  As for Benjamin Harrison, I am referring to only post-WWII elections.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 02:04:08 AM »

61 isn't too old, as long as they are healthy it's fine.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »

61 isn't too old, as long as they are healthy it's fine.

By old I mean older than 54.8 years, which is the average age of a US president at the time of his first inauguration.
Nichlemn

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 04:54:26 AM »

If Romney wins in 2012, he will be reelected in 2016. All presidents who defeated an incumbent have gone on to serve full terms.  In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president.  

Carter isn't a good example, he was running against Nixon's ghost, not Ford.  As for Benjamin Harrison, I am referring to only post-WWII elections.

Here's another relationship that will blow your mind - no President with a "J" in his name has ever served two full terms.

Well, I am only referring to the post-Jacksonian era. Jackson and the five preceding Presidents were all Js, and four of them including Jackson himself served two full terms. But ever since, the letter has been cursed.

And in case you cite William Jefferson Clinton - I'm only referring to first and last names.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 10:21:50 AM »

Here's another relationship that will blow your mind - no President with a "J" in his name has ever served two full terms.

Well, I am only referring to the post-Jacksonian era. Jackson and the five preceding Presidents were all Js, and four of them including Jackson himself served two full terms. But ever since, the letter has been cursed.

And in case you cite William Jefferson Clinton - I'm only referring to first and last names.

Ha, good one.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:19:50 PM »

Most of the 50's kids are getting old, and not many 50's kids are in the running, just more 40's kids, a few 60's kids, and one 30's kid who has no chance of winning.

The 30's kid has as good a shot as the others.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 04:11:34 AM »

That's a possibility.

Then question is, however, why should we give a sh*t ?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:42:59 AM »

Probably one of the next two (the Democrat who wins in 2016)
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 10:17:48 AM »

That's a possibility.

He'll be a lot more friendly for civil liberties at home many on the left clamor about. Quit buying what the mainstream media says about him.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 01:09:44 PM »

That's a possibility.

He'll be a lot more friendly for civil liberties at home many on the left clamor about. Quit buying what the mainstream media says about him.

I was responding to the thread title.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2011, 04:09:18 AM »

In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president. 

Ron Paul will be 77 y.o. when he's elected president.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2011, 05:30:19 PM »

If Romney wins in 2012, he will be reelected in 2016. All presidents who defeated an incumbent have gone on to serve full terms.  In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president.  

Carter isn't a good example, he was running against Nixon's ghost, not Ford.  As for Benjamin Harrison, I am referring to only post-WWII elections.

Same with "P", "Q", "X", and "Z", except with no caveats limiting it to the post-Jacksonian era.  Though, I'm not sure if there have been *any* presidents with "Q" or "X" anyway.
Duke David
Atheist2006
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:54 AM »

Only on one condition:
If Ron Paul wins the primaries he'll choose Gary Johnson, who was born in 1953, as his running mate. As 77-year-old President Paul will not survive his first term, Johnson becomes the first and perhaps only president to be born in the 1950s.

Perry and Bachmann were also born in the 1950, of course, but there's no doubt that they will lose the primaries or the general election, respectively.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2011, 12:46:54 PM »

Paul is in good health and could last a full term.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 11:08:44 AM »
« Edited: September 28, 2011, 10:09:53 PM by Genghis Timberlake »

If Romney wins in 2012, he will be reelected in 2016. All presidents who defeated an incumbent have gone on to serve full terms.  In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president. 

Carter isn't a good example, he was running against Nixon's ghost, not Ford.  As for Benjamin Harrison, I am referring to only post-WWII elections.

Same with "P", "Q", "X", and "Z", except with no caveats limiting it to the post-Jacksonian era.  Though, I'm not sure if there have been *any* presidents with "Q" or "X" anyway.

John Quincy Adams and Richard Nixon.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »

If Romney wins in 2012, he will be reelected in 2016. All presidents who defeated an incumbent have gone on to serve full terms.  In 2020, the youngest "50's kids" would be 61--pretty old to be president. 

John Quincy Adams and Richard Nixon.

Somehow I forgot about Nixon, so you're right on that one.  But we're not counting middle names, so "q" with JQ Adams doesn't work.
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2013, 05:56:22 PM »

Bump for new election speculation season.
Mister Mets
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 01:27:46 AM »

Right now, we're in an era in which the last three Presidents have been elected to two full terms, so with a new President every eight years, some decades may be under-represented.

The 50s could be one decade, since two Presidents born in the 40s were followed by one born in the 60s. So, if Chris Christie (born in the 60s) or Marco Rubio/ Paul Ryan/ Jeb Bush (born in the 70s) is elected in '16, it becomes increasingly unlikely there will be a President born in the 50s.

Plus, the most popular Democrat was born in the 40s (Hillary Clinton).

There are a few potential nominees born in the 50s: Andrew Cuomo (b. 1957). Mark Warner (b. 1954). Deval Patrick (b. 1956) Brian Schweitzer (b. 1955). Susan Martinez (b. 1959). Jeb Bush (b. 1953). Mike Huckabee (b.1955)

There are circumstances under which any of them might become President. But it could also be that John Thune (b. 1961) wins, followed in 2024 by a Democrat born in 1981, elected to statewide office in 2018.
Siloch
Rookie
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 05:05:08 AM »

I know you probably mean the 1950s decade (1950-59) but the early 1960s were more like the 1950s than the rest of the 1960s, so you could sort of argue that Obama was born in the 1950s era, but not the 1950s decade.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 08:33:01 AM »

I think it's pretty clear we aren't going to have a president born in the 1930s, which would be the first decade to not be represented there since the 1810s.  It's possible we may still have one born in the 50s, though.
Right now, we're in an era in which the last three Presidents have been elected to two full terms, so with a new President every eight years, some decades may be under-represented.

The 50s could be one decade, since two Presidents born in the 40s were followed by one born in the 60s. So, if Chris Christie (born in the 60s) or Marco Rubio/ Paul Ryan/ Jeb Bush (born in the 70s) is elected in '16, it becomes increasingly unlikely there will be a President born in the 50s.
Jeb Bush was born in the 50s.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2013, 03:18:27 PM »

I find it more interesting that we will likely have no President born during the FDR administration, despite him being our longest serving President.   Biden is the only possibility on either side.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies