Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:21:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 32

Author Topic: Would Jesus Christ have banned Rochambeau?  (Read 12401 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 01, 2011, 12:27:23 AM »

lol...but he does have a laser like focus.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 06:10:47 PM »

This is definitely BRTD's most unsettling obsession so far.

what, you don't find lifting up the sayings of opebo along with the screaming incoherent lyrics of hardcore Christian bands soothing to your soul?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 07:22:11 PM »

So, I go to Quebec for a tad more than 24 hours... and the Roach is banned, his fanclub buys tin foil hats and stage a funeral, BRTD has some creepy new obsession with Jesus or religion or something? Did I miss anything?

yeah, my death point total fell 49 points!

Reported Posts: 124 (+7)
Moderated Posts: 58
Infraction Points: 51 (-49!)

strange days, bro, strange days
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 07:24:05 PM »

You don't like those lyrics? What do you disagree with?

Oh and the song F**KING ROCKS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxkRXEijCxo

no, I'm very happy you are focusing on Christ
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 05:26:02 PM »

So, I go to Quebec for a tad more than 24 hours... and the Roach is banned, his fanclub buys tin foil hats and stage a funeral, BRTD has some creepy new obsession with Jesus or religion or something? Did I miss anything?

The purges have begun. Word of a list leaked out, though the moderators have been keeping their lips tight about it. These are dark times you have returned to. Very dark times.

Yeah, I'd like to be a fly on the wall of the moderators board.  certainly better than being a rat.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 11:27:20 PM »

Is there a way to express my skepticism over the ability of a Galilean carpenter-turned-itinerant-preacher from two millennia ago to comprehend, much less moderate, an Internet forum devoted to political cartography without sounding like a smug asshole?

if I may...

Acts 17:27 "Seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us."
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 11:30:08 AM »
« Edited: August 04, 2011, 11:39:48 AM by jmfcst »

Not an unreasonable position. But there is nothing to suggest what Jesus said wasn't man made either; either by someone else writing on his behalf or even directly from the man himself claiming a divinity to which he wasn't entitled. Men are the makers of gods.

Serious question being asked because I don’t now the subject that well (I didn't receive a classical education...obviously): what is the typical training background profile of the world’s great philosophers (e.g. Aristotle, Plato, etc)?

And does Jesus fit that training profile?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 11:56:17 AM »

No training is required to philosophise (I live in Glasgow; where everyone thinks they are a philosopher Wink ) so yes Jesus can fit that profile. So can you or I.

ok, but applying that to the historical examples:  are there any other historically renowned philosophers (on the level of the following of say Plato, Aristotle, etc) that were untrained and simply crawled out of the woodwork like Jesus did?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 03:15:11 PM »

Firstly, there is no evidence that Jesus said anything that's attributed to him.

then whoever is the source, whether it be Jesus or MysteryPersonX doesnt matter to my question, the point is someone crawled out the woodwork around 30AD without formal training and became the most quoted philosopher in history....my question is: is there any other example of an untrained man becoming a world renowned philosopher?

---
The Golden Rule for example is found in just about every ethical religious and secular tradition.
it is also found in Lev 19:18 "love your neighbor as yourself"

---
Christians allude to the uncomfortable similarities between Socrates and Jesus. Socrates may not have existed; it does not matter on jot to me if he did or didn't as my life doesn't depend on that. The writings attributed to Jesus are simply an extension of an existing philosophic tradition saddled with the figures or Jesus during his later 'Hellenisation' (most notably in John) That is worth an essay in itself.

obviously Jesus was expounding upon a previous foundation (the OT) within a Greek influenced country...he never said he was introducing a totally new set of rules or ideas.

But, the fact remains the tact he took and the illustrations he used transcended cultures....

....but this is completely irrelevant from my question (see above)
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 03:33:01 PM »

in fact, set Jesus aside...I am simply asking about the known historical backgrounds...are there any who crawled out from under a rock or were they all educated?
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2011, 10:13:56 AM »
« Edited: August 05, 2011, 10:17:21 AM by jmfcst »

I believe Jesus one said trolling in one's heart was as bad as committing the crime itself.  Mr. Christ was very much about laying down the banhammer.

actually, Jesus allowed his disciples to troll once in a while

Mat 12
1 At that time Jesus went through the grainfields on the Sabbath. His disciples were hungry and began to pick some heads of grain and eat them. 2 When the Pharisees saw this, they said to him, “Look! Your disciples are doing what is unlawful on the Sabbath.”
 3 He answered, “Haven’t you read what David did when he and his companions were hungry? 4 He entered the house of God, and he and his companions ate the consecrated bread—which was not lawful for them to do, but only for the priests."

which is why Jesus was placed on The List  Wink
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies