FL-Quinnipiac: Obama in worse shape after budget deal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:26:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  2012 U.S. Presidential General Election Polls
  FL-Quinnipiac: Obama in worse shape after budget deal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: FL-Quinnipiac: Obama in worse shape after budget deal  (Read 3085 times)
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2011, 12:26:31 PM »

The compulsion to prostrate oneself before elites who have the ability to determine who gets a basic need and who doesn't indicates a lack of freedom, at least for those whose needs become objects of exploitation.   

Understand and agree.  How does that alter that people demand fiscal responsibility from their government?  And what circumstances (historical or hypothetical) do people demand the government deficit spend on FOOD?

This almost makes my point for me -- what people really want is both fiscal responsibility and the essentials to be taken care of.

Of course one assumes that the government is responsible to the people, something essential to democracy. A democratic government might not produce the food, fuel, and shelter... not that such is a good thing, as such implies a Marxist economy that stifles initiative except among True Believers.

Private ownership and operation of the means of production works for people other than capitalists only

(1) if the system is competitive in the marketplace for goods and workers, or
(2) the ownership class and executives are decent people.

Both are in question in America these days as they used not to be in question.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2011, 01:01:06 PM »

The compulsion to prostrate oneself before elites who have the ability to determine who gets a basic need and who doesn't indicates a lack of freedom, at least for those whose needs become objects of exploitation.   

Understand and agree.  How does that alter that people demand fiscal responsibility from their government?  And what circumstances (historical or hypothetical) do people demand the government deficit spend on FOOD?

This almost makes my point for me -- what people really want is both fiscal responsibility and the essentials to be taken care of.

Of course one assumes that the government is responsible to the people, something essential to democracy. A democratic government might not produce the food, fuel, and shelter... not that such is a good thing, as such implies a Marxist economy that stifles initiative except among True Believers.

Private ownership and operation of the means of production works for people other than capitalists only

(1) if the system is competitive in the marketplace for goods and workers, or
(2) the ownership class and executives are decent people.

Both are in question in America these days as they used not to be in question.

Few people are being fed by the government and therefore few people are going to vote against fiscal conservatism under the theory that they'll starve.

I'll leave your anti-capitalism polemic unaddressed, because it's beside my point.  I'm not worried about principled Marxists and where their votes may end up.
whaeffner1
Rookie

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2011, 09:57:16 PM »

All but one statewide elected official in Florida now is a Republican.  They have 2-1 majorities in the legislature.  Republicans actually have dominated Florida for quite some time, to we should be ready to see a GOP victory no matter what in 2012.  The GOP convention is going to be in Tampa, too.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies