college football chat.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:11:25 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  college football chat.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]
Author Topic: college football chat.  (Read 9929 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: December 09, 2011, 05:59:57 PM »

I'm elated. Kansas hired Charlie Weis.

Press conference is about to start. If anyone wants to watch it, follow this link:

http://www.kuathletics.com/allaccess/?hq_e=el&hq_m=238033&hq_l=13&hq_v=632de96817
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #151 on: December 09, 2011, 07:31:45 PM »

I don't think the Weis hire is as bad as some people are making it out to be...
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #152 on: December 09, 2011, 10:03:23 PM »

I don't think the Weis hire is as bad as some people are making it out to be...
Completely agree. Who'd they expect us to get, Lombardi? Wink

- Weis brings enthusiasm to the KU base - others can hate all they want, but a good majority of KU fans are ecstatic about this hire, myself included.

- Weis looks to also be bringing him a 5-star quarterback in Crist, who is visiting Kansas this weekend. He has one year of eligibility left. I'd say there's about a 90% chance he comes to Kansas. This immediately takes us from winning 3-4 games next year to having a great shot at becoming bowl eligible - we'll have one of the top quarterbacks in the league.

- Weis can recruit - offensive players want to play for his spread offense. Just a flash of those Super Bowl rings would be enough to sign a lot of players. We'll need to pick up a great defensive coordinator, though.

- Weis isn't really looking for a promotion - he's already said Kansas will be his last stop. Even if he's only here for 7 years or so, he'll be leaving Kansas in much better shape than it is today, which means we'll be able to attract a better coach.

- He hopefully will put names on the back of the jerseys. (A key issue to the Jayhawk faithful)

People criticize that Florida's offense wasn't great this year - Weis had to handle a bunch of players that didn't know his spread offense, rather, they were fit more towards Meyer's offense, which is completely different.

People criticize that his stint at Notre Dame wasn't good - then, he had to hire assistants that he didn't know. Now, after spending years in both the NFL and college, he has plenty of connections. Notre Dame also has ridiculously high expectations, and on top of that, their academic standards make it difficult to recruit.

So yeah, for the first time since 2008, I'm actually looking forward to the start of the next football season. Wink

Rock Chalk!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #153 on: December 09, 2011, 11:42:15 PM »

Weis runs a pro-style offense for what it's worth, although those words are often not very well-defined.  I hadn't heard that about Crist, so that would help for sure.

I don't know who Kansas has scheduled in non-conference, but assuming yall scheduled easy, and Mizzou leaves the Big 12 but WVU can't join yet, Kansas would only have to go 2-6 in conference to reach a bowl.  With Crist and Weis, you would certainly have a shot against Iowa State, Texas Tech, or even Baylor (who will probably fall back without RG3)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2011, 02:02:59 AM »

Next year, Kansas will host South Dakota State and Rice and travel to Northern Illinois. Of course they'll have to try and find another team to play if the Big 12 has to wait for West Virginia. That schedule ought to give the Jayhawks a shot at a bowl.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2011, 08:55:59 PM »

ROBERT GRIFFIN, III your 2011 HEISMAN MEMORIAL TROPHY WINNER!!!
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #156 on: December 10, 2011, 11:28:05 PM »

ROBERT GRIFFIN, III your 2011 HEISMAN MEMORIAL TROPHY WINNER!!!

He deserved it.  I'm glad they didn't just give it to a flashy Alabama running back like they did 2 years ago (Gerhardt got robbed).
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #157 on: December 10, 2011, 11:39:02 PM »

Gerhart was very much robbed.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]  
« previous next »
Jump to: