Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:42:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87200 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: October 13, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »

I went to both Princeton and Yale things these past few weeks. Yale's college life seems amazing, despite it being in New Haven. Princeton literally mimics what Yale has going (with their mini residential colleges and stuff) only it seems less unifying and a less active school (not that it isn't).
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #151 on: October 13, 2011, 05:32:42 PM »

College life is amazing, and you truly don't appreciate it until you are out. I remember thinking about how I was ready to be done and graduate, but law school sucks and living closer to home does too. I feel like I've gone backwards socially.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #152 on: October 13, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2011, 07:31:18 PM by NiK »

So, I got some things in the mail from Princeton last weekend, and WOW. I had no idea about how generous they are in giving out financial aid. My family's income bracket would qualify me for free tuition, as well as 12% off Room and Board expenses. Amazing. Definitely near the top of the list. Well, that is, if I can get in...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #153 on: October 13, 2011, 07:41:09 PM »

So, I got some things in the mail from Princeton last weekend, and WOW. I had no idea about how generous they are in giving out financial aid. My family's income bracket would qualify me for free tuition, as well as 12% off Room and Board expenses. Amazing. Definitely near the top of the list. Well, that is, if I can get in...

Damn dude, nice.  I don't think I can get any financial aid; I have to actually earn it Tongue

But I've also never been interested in Princeton.  The eating clubs are unnerving.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #154 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »

Damn dude, nice.  I don't think I can get any financial aid; I have to actually earn it Tongue

But I've also never been interested in Princeton.  The eating clubs are unnerving.

Yeah, I asked my teacher (an alumni) about them. He says that some people make a big deal about them, while others don't. And since he attended the school in the 1970s, I think that it is safe to say that their influence has diminished.

Anyways, don't Harvard and Yale have similar things? Harvard has the "final" clubs, and Yale has its secret societies...
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #155 on: October 13, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »

That's around the bracket I'm in and my family has been in for some years, but my sister got zero from Cornell her first year and small increases they next few years and they advocate the same sort of policy of such large average grants so...-_-
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #156 on: October 13, 2011, 08:54:57 PM »

I can't go to UW because of my lack of an performing arts credit which I didn't factor into my schedule this semester. According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted". I'd expect that from a LAC but really from a public state univerisity? What is this nonsense, I get punished for not caring about something that's useless?

I already applied to University of Idaho as a massive safety but because of free apps I'll be applying to:
Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

I'm not going to spend money applying to schools I don't necessarily want to go just in case.

Carleton as in Carleton U, where the K stands for quality or...?

perhaps Carleton College of MN, a personal favorite.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #157 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:36 PM »

I feel stupid around some of you, talking about places I have 0% at getting into...Tongue

I'm hours away from enrolling at Indiana. Getting some final questions answered now online with a representative.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #158 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »

Damn dude, nice.  I don't think I can get any financial aid; I have to actually earn it Tongue

Why on earth are you applying to the schools you are, then?!

I can't go to UW because of my lack of an performing arts credit which I didn't factor into my schedule this semester. According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted". I'd expect that from a LAC but really from a public state univerisity? What is this nonsense, I get punished for not caring about something that's useless?

I already applied to University of Idaho as a massive safety but because of free apps I'll be applying to:
Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

I'm not going to spend money applying to schools I don't necessarily want to go just in case.

Carleton as in Carleton U, where the K stands for quality or...?

perhaps Carleton College of MN, a personal favorite.

I hope so Smiley

I feel stupid around some of you, talking about places I have 0% at getting into...Tongue

I'm hours away from enrolling at Indiana. Getting some final questions answered now online with a representative.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO APPLY TO MICHIGAN STATE

INDIANA AND MSU ARE FUNCTIONALLY EQUIVALENT BUT MSU HAS MORE MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS

(but good choice)
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #159 on: October 13, 2011, 09:00:09 PM »

Anyways, don't Harvard and Yale have similar things? Harvard has the "final" clubs, and Yale has its secret societies...

My impression is that Princeton is worse.  That may be wrong, but it is what I've heard.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #160 on: October 13, 2011, 09:06:03 PM »

(but good choice)
Out-of-state tuition. Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »

(but good choice)
Out-of-state tuition. Wink

Hey, look, it's a page specifically dedicated to scholarships for out-of-state students!  And a page for merit-based scholarships which are awarded without regard to residency status!
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »

My impression is that Princeton is worse.  That may be wrong, but it is what I've heard.

Yeah... perhaps. I'll check it out and ask next summer when I'm visiting. I'm generally not someone who worries about that sort of thing, though. I'll be enrolling in summer college, I think, at one of the Ivies, and will get to check them all out in excursions afterward. Cool

That's around the bracket I'm in and my family has been in for some years, but my sister got zero from Cornell her first year and small increases they next few years and they advocate the same sort of policy of such large average grants so...-_-

Wow, that's absolutely brutal... But I've heard Cornell is kind of skimpy when it comes to financial aid when it comes to the Ivies.

Nonsense. School =/ intellect. Besides, there's no guarantee we'll be going to any of the schools we have mentioned... since really, most of the acceptance rates are sub-25%.

Luckily for me, though, I have a few aces in the hole...

ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #163 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »

Yeah... perhaps. I'll check it out and ask next summer when I'm visiting. I'm generally not someone who worries about that sort of thing, though. I'll be enrolling in summer college, I think, at one of the Ivies, and will get to check them all out in excursions afterward. Cool

I did Summer@Brown.  It was fun, and Providence was lovely Smiley
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #164 on: October 14, 2011, 05:19:33 PM »

To early apply or not early apply...
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #165 on: October 14, 2011, 08:26:23 PM »

If it's Early Action, hell yes.  I'm doing three schools EA.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #166 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »

Only do early decision if you are absolutely in love with the school and know that that is where you want to spend four years. You have the disadvantage of not being able to compare financial aid packages if you do early decision.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #167 on: October 14, 2011, 08:58:30 PM »

Only do early decision if you are absolutely in love with the school and know that that is where you want to spend four years. You have the disadvantage of not being able to compare financial aid packages if you do early decision.

I meant EA, whoops. As far as I know there aren't many advantages to EA if your school doesn't do rolling admissions.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #168 on: October 14, 2011, 09:19:39 PM »

I mean you find out earlier.  I'll hear from Michigan and Georgetown by Christmas, and UVA by the end of January.  It gives me peace of mind if I get in anywhere.
Rochambeau jk I'm Hamilton
Conservatarian1989
Rookie
United States
« Reply #169 on: October 15, 2011, 09:33:58 PM »

I graduated from UCLA this year.

I applied to these:

1. UCLA (Got in, and graduated)
2. Stanford (rejected)
3. USC (Got in)
4. Washington (Got in)
5. Montana (Got in)
6. University of British Columbia- Vancouver (Got in, i think, dont remember)
7. San Diego State (Got in)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #170 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »

Did anyone else take the PSAT today? If so, how do you think you did? I think I got a few wrong on the math section (I skipped one due to time constraints), but I think I nailed the verbal and writing sections. I'm hoping I qualify for the National Merit Scholarship, but I had no time to study and my surgery over the summer prevented me from doing anything for two months, so...
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #171 on: October 15, 2011, 11:00:59 PM »

Did anyone else take the PSAT today? If so, how do you think you did? I think I got a few wrong on the math section (I skipped one due to time constraints), but I think I nailed the verbal and writing sections. I'm hoping I qualify for the National Merit Scholarship, but I had no time to study and my surgery over the summer prevented me from doing anything for two months, so...

My son did. Does that count as vicarious testing?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #172 on: October 16, 2011, 02:11:24 PM »

The PSAT on a Saturday?  My school had us take it in the morning on a school day.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #173 on: October 16, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

My son did. Does that count as vicarious testing?

Cool. Are there any schools in particular that he is interested in?

The PSAT on a Saturday?  My school had us take it in the morning on a school day.

Yep. I was sick, too. I ended up lying down on the floor and taking it, since I can't fit in desks or sit up for long periods of time. I still think I did well, though.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #174 on: October 16, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »

Yeah. I thought I nailed the reading and there were 3 I was sorta unsure what the question was actually asking for math. Writing I didn't feel too good about, but that's always been my lowest score for practicing.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies