Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:14:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 86515 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »

I got contacted by Brown today to go to a Brown, U Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, and Rice joint info session in Denver. Finally and Ivy league knows me!...even though I don't care to go to Brown haha
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »

UW-Madison
UM-Ann Arbor
UBC
University of Minnesota (maybe)
UDub (maybe)
UC-Boulder (maybe)

I wanted to go to UCLA but I realize how futile that is so I'm not even going to bother applying.

Madison and Michigan are great schools, certainly close to some top tier institutions (which Michigan actually is).  I'm not familiar with some of the others, but those two are excellent.  Michigan really gouges people who are not from Michigan, though.

Yeah, Madison and Minnesota are great.  You should consider MSU, too.  Do it.  But, seriously, if you're Honors College material, there's really few better Honors programs in the country.  All course prerequisites are waived!  Distribution requirements become ridiculously easy to fulfill!  Scholarships aplenty!

Anyway, I'm definitely a proponent of cheap state schools over expensive private schools.  You can get whatever you want to out of your education, no matter where you are; it's just a matter of how much effort you put into it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: September 03, 2011, 02:44:10 AM »

How would the quality of education I receive differ between a more prestigious school that I could get into and a more bland state college? Is the extra cost of attending a more prestigious school worth the education in all honesty?

It depends on the quality of the state college.  In Virginia, only a couple of schools are probably worth not going to UVA or William and Mary, or even JMU.  In other states, like Alabama or Idaho, it probably is.  Especially if you intend to go on to grad school, and can go to a good in-state school.

It really all depends on where you live Tongue

I'm not talking about in-state, I'd rather drown myself than go to U of I. Tongue

I'm talking about a decent Midwestern state school, maybe one of the UCs or a worse ranked Canadian college. I should probably give you a list if I want good advice but I still honestly have no idea which state schools I could get into yet would still like to attend.

UW-Madison
UM-Ann Arbor
UBC
University of Minnesota (maybe)
UDub (maybe)
UC-Boulder (maybe)

I wanted to go to UCLA but I realize how futile that is so I'm not even going to bother applying.

If you were to go to UCLA, you would have to live in Los Angeles.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2011, 12:09:47 PM »

I got contacted by Brown today to go to a Brown, U Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, and Rice joint info session in Denver. Finally and Ivy league knows me!...even though I don't care to go to Brown haha

Those things are the worst.  I went to a UPenn, Duke, Stanford, and Harvard one, and it was a total waste.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2011, 12:15:53 PM »

congrats. looks promising for your future.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2011, 08:50:39 PM »

I hope to keep this active so we can all track each others progress. Smiley

Regarding me, I still haven't heard back from Indiana. Sad I applied to Grace College yesterday, a Christian college in Indiana, just as a way to keep my options open.

I also have a new potential course - a very close member of my family may be relocated to Ogden, Utah. They'd be there well before I start college. The new possibility is going to Weber State for a year or two, qualifying for in-state tuition, then enrolling in Utah. Utah has low in-state tuition at just under $7000 currently, which is about $3000 less than IU. Wink Brigham Young would also obviously be on the table.

Then again, I could just stay at Weber State and get my degree there. This plan could become extremely realistic, it just depends on whether or not he's transferred.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #81 on: September 11, 2011, 10:54:40 PM »

Remember to get to know the admissions officer.  That's always your ticket. Wink

I got the same thing though I don't think I'd want to go to U Chicago -- I visited there during my summer classes at Cornell.  It is undoubtedly a great school, but it just isn't my taste.

My friends who went to Brown say that it is a really great school.  Many of those who went to summer programs at Cornell and Columbia are looking to apply to Brown instead.

As for my list, I think it's currently:

Cornell (Already lived at the campus and took classes there, so I know the lifestyle well and I really like it)
Northwestern (Visitied along with U Chicago -- it's seems like a wonderful school and Evanston isn't too far from the city)
Harvard (It's been my dream school since I was in elementary)
Stanford (My second dream school, and it's pretty close to home)
UC Berkeley (I can walk there on any given day, so room and board isn't a problem)
UCLA (My friend tells me the campus there is amazing -- then again, I'm probably going to do the full UC circuit when I apply)
Columbia (I've always wanted to go to school in NYC)
Brown (Supposedly it has one of the best open curriculums)
Princeton (This one is rather out of left field, but my friend from Cornell lives there and tells me that it's a really good program to get into)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #82 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is not all "supposedly"; there are no specific classes at Brown, or even categories of classes, that Brown requires you to take.  You have to have at least one "concentration" and have a certain minimum of credits, and that's it.  It was wonderful.

Given that you care about that, I have no idea why Columbia, a school that has 6 classes that every single student is required without exception to take, is on your list.

Meanwhile, the Honors College at Michigan State requires 2 Natural Science, 2 Social Science, and 2 Humanities classes, each of which can be fulfilled by multiple departments' classes and AP credit Grin
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #83 on: September 12, 2011, 08:58:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is not all "supposedly"; there are no specific classes at Brown, or even categories of classes, that Brown requires you to take.  You have to have at least one "concentration" and have a certain minimum of credits, and that's it.  It was wonderful.

Given that you care about that, I have no idea why Columbia, a school that has 6 classes that every single student is required without exception to take, is on your list.

Meanwhile, the Honors College at Michigan State requires 2 Natural Science, 2 Social Science, and 2 Humanities classes, each of which can be fulfilled by multiple departments' classes and AP credit Grin

I don't really care too much about the open/closed curriculum thing to be honest.  As for Columbia, it's more of the environment I'm looking for, as opposed to Providence.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #84 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:34 PM »

One of the reason I like Columbia is the core.  It looks fascinating.
Marston
United States

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2011, 02:53:09 PM »

I'm finishing up my double-majors in Public Administration and Health Science next year. I plan on obtaining my Master's in Healthcare Administration. I've been browsing grad schools for the past couple months now (never too early) and here is what I'm looking at:

Grand Valley State University (Just a safety, really)
Northern Michigan University (Another safety)
U of M - Ann Arbor (#1 choice. Great program. Affordable tuition relatively speaking. Close to home but also far enough away Wink )
University of Detroit Mercy
Ohio State University - My #2 choice.
University of Pittsburgh
Penn State
University of Indiana
Northwestern University
University of Minnesota - #3 choice.

I want to stay in the Midwest but I'm not adverse to leaving Michigan.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

Those things are the worst.  I went to a UPenn, Duke, Stanford, and Harvard one, and it was a total waste.

I got invited to the UPenn, Duke, Sanford, Harvard, Georgetown one. I'm going to go to it just in case I do get any useable info, but I'm not going to any other things like that.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #87 on: September 15, 2011, 03:44:37 PM »

Well...

I GOT ACCEPTED INTO INDIANA UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Cheesy

There's not a greater feeling than your first acceptance letter. Smiley Smiley Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #88 on: September 15, 2011, 06:24:00 PM »

Congratulations on IU!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #89 on: September 15, 2011, 08:03:50 PM »

Thanks...again! Smiley
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #90 on: September 15, 2011, 08:05:46 PM »

Well...

There's not a greater feeling than your first acceptance letter. Smiley Smiley Smiley

Listen Boy... do NOT waste the opportunities that will be presented at the nation's #1 party school!!!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #91 on: September 16, 2011, 12:45:03 AM »

Well...

Good job.

I agree.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: September 16, 2011, 01:48:38 AM »

Well...

Listen Boy... do NOT waste the opportunities that will be presented at the nation's #1 party school!!!

I didn't see any mention of Arizona State in his post.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #93 on: September 16, 2011, 08:55:23 AM »

Well...

I didn't see any mention of Arizona State in his post.

University, not whorehouse.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #94 on: September 16, 2011, 10:34:12 AM »

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #95 on: September 16, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »

Congrats Tmth. Where else will you apply now?

One of the reason I like Columbia is the core.  It looks fascinating.

I like Columbia, but no one in my family wants me to live in NYC at age 18 (for whatever reason). UChicago has a similar "core" system, right?  Maybe for graduate school, but hey, I'm still a junior and should just focus on that. Tongue

By the way, I was thinking of attending a "summer college" for high school students next year (probably at Cornell or UChicago). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them at all.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #96 on: September 16, 2011, 08:01:03 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
GPA: 3.4 (weighted)
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.
Major: Economics

My college list should be on the last page. Tongue

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #97 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.

You can easily get into CU with that as long as you get your GPA up to 4.0 once you apply since your freshman year hurt (just so you know we call it CU not UC Boulder Wink )
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #98 on: September 16, 2011, 10:46:31 PM »

My stats are:

You can easily get into CU with that as long as you get your GPA up to 4.0 once you apply since your freshman year hurt (just so you know we call it CU not UC Boulder Wink )

I know, I just refuse to use that backwards acronym, it's stupid. Tongue

Really though, a 4.0 GPA to get into CU-Boulder? I thought it was far easier than that to get in, even if you were out of state.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2011, 03:55:51 PM »

Colleges in Utah generally have pretty low out-of-state tuition. I've been looking at possibly going to Weber State for a year or two then transferring to Utah.

For whoever asked where else I'm applying, I'll apply to Ball State, Purdue, Grace College (already did), maybe Hillsdale, Kansas, and Weber State. I've crossed off most of my "Backup Options" now that I've gotten into the place that is #1 on my list.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies