Applying To Colleges
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:46:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 31
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 86527 times)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #525 on: May 01, 2012, 11:10:14 PM »

NiK, I've known a couple of people who went to Rice and they loved it. Two girls from my graduating class are going there in the fall.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #526 on: May 02, 2012, 12:25:04 AM »

I spent a considerable amount of time updating my mess of where I want to go to college (for either international relations or political science) and how I'm stacking up thus far. Basically the colleges I want to go to in descending order are almost the exact order of difficulty for me to get in.

Less likely
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Stanford
MIT (tied with Stanford)

Maybe
Georgetown
Tufts
Brown

More likely
UVA
William & Mary
George Washington
University of Richmond

If you need information about W&M, I'm your man! Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #527 on: May 02, 2012, 04:08:03 PM »

A-Bob, you should definitely look at UVA.  If you visit let me know; I'll happily show you around.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #528 on: May 02, 2012, 04:32:19 PM »

A-Bob, you should definitely look at UVA.  If you visit let me know; I'll happily show you around.

I'm probably going to be there in late June, if you'd be there already haha. Though I might just do all the colleges in the Northeast and not the D.C. Virginia colleges I'm looking at.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #529 on: May 02, 2012, 04:35:33 PM »

I spent a considerable amount of time updating my mess of where I want to go to college (for either international relations or political science) and how I'm stacking up thus far. Basically the colleges I want to go to in descending order are almost the exact order of difficulty for me to get in.

Less likely
Yale
Harvard
Princeton
Stanford
MIT (tied with Stanford)

Maybe
Georgetown
Tufts
Brown

More likely
UVA
William & Mary
George Washington
University of Richmond

If you need information about W&M, I'm your man! Smiley

Awesome! How is their international relations program compared to their political science? Since I really don't know which one I want to go into, my lists of top schools are in a varying ordered compared on that decision.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #530 on: May 02, 2012, 08:16:00 PM »

NiK, I've known a couple of people who went to Rice and they loved it. Two girls from my graduating class are going there in the fall.

Well, that's good to know. Unfortunately, I'll probably end up not being able to visit it due to its distance from everywhere else I am applying. Ah well.

I'm actually considering applying to Reed as well; I recently read more about the school, and I liked the "intellectual" culture it seems to have. I'm not sure if it fits me, though. And I'm not sure if I could handle the workload of it. Portland is awesome, though, so that would be nice.

I recently visited the Claremont Colleges and USC. I was sort of neutral on USC; the campus was nice, but didn't like the neighborhood around it. I also don't know how I'd be able to reconcile my dislike of Trojan football. The Claremont Consortium schools were nice, but I think I'd probably get bored in the area eventually. The suburb seemed boring, but I really liked the campus.

Saw Stanford for the first time as well, too. I loved it. I had to leave convincing myself I didn't have a shot in hell of getting in, since I didn't cure cancer or travel to Uganda and capture Kony. There's always grad school, though.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #531 on: May 10, 2012, 05:24:18 PM »

For east coast colleges, including ivy leagues, that require the ACT with writing (or SAT etc etc), will they look at my ACT scoring that I took without writing (all subscores were higher) combined with my writing score from the writing ACT? Or will they only look at any score that was received on a writing test?

Thought I'd just post this again, thank you for your help
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #532 on: June 10, 2012, 04:06:38 PM »

Which is better for political science and also international relations?

UC San Diego or UCLA?
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #533 on: June 10, 2012, 04:08:09 PM »

I've heard UCLA.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #534 on: June 10, 2012, 05:25:23 PM »

No clue, but I do know that UCLA enters you as pre-political science when you arrive, and that after two years, they require you to petition to actually get into the major. I read that a long time ago, though, so I am unsure. I do know that UCSD is ranked higher at the graduate level for IR, but that hardly matters, I'm sure.

If you are highly interested in international affairs and are looking at LA-area colleges, why not Occidental College? It has a pretty cool program in which you get to intern at the UN, and as far as I know, is reputed to be fantastic in the subject.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2012, 03:34:24 PM »

I'm setting up meetings for a few minutes at a time with Professors from the schools I'm looking at this summer. Do you have any suggestions for questions to ask? These are all IR and political science professors.

I'll ask basic things like what undergrads in their program end up doing right after college, where do they  usually go to for graduate studies, what their program is like, for certain schools- how to get into their IR program.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2012, 03:38:02 PM »

Ask what the acceptance rates are for grad school. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #537 on: June 13, 2012, 03:41:46 PM »

Ask what the most frequently attended graduate schools are for your subject. Are they at the top of the food chain? The highest ranked? If a school claims to be effective in placing students, you need to know where they place the students.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #538 on: June 13, 2012, 04:38:31 PM »

Great idea, btw!  It definitely helped to talk to professors; they're usually better at giving you the "non-Admissions-certified" version of the school.

You should also ask what opportunities exist for undergrads to do research (or other academically-relevant work) on campus.  If you're feeling adventurous, you should ask for specific examples of times when they' themselves have worked with undergraduates outside the classroom.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #539 on: June 21, 2012, 02:26:45 PM »

I have a question that hopefully someone can give me some insight on.

My sister and one of her best friends applied to a couple of universities in-state and got into both of them, but they're not sure which one to pick. One university is a more expensive top-tier public university with a degree program that's fairly broad, while the other is a less expensive second-tier public university with a degree program that is very focused on exactly what they want to do. Also, the second-tier school allows them to get a BA and a BS in their field with only one extra quarter if everything goes according to plan. Both universities are not really in parts of the state that they want to live long term.

I'm not sure what to advise them in this situation. Both really like the latter program, but the former is a better school. Which would be the best for their long term career prospects?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #540 on: June 21, 2012, 02:28:57 PM »

My sister and one of her best friends applied to a couple of universities in-state and got into both of them, but they're not sure which one to pick. One university is a more expensive top-tier public university with a degree program that's fairly broad, while the other is a less expensive second-tier public university with a degree program that is very focused on exactly what they want to do. Also, the second-tier school allows them to get a BA and a BS in their field with only one extra quarter if everything goes according to plan. Both universities are not really in parts of the state that they want to live long term.

I'm not sure what to advise them in this situation. Both really like the latter program, but the former is a better school. Which would be the best for their long term career prospects?
Option 2 - it's cheaper and is better for what they want to do.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #541 on: June 21, 2012, 08:18:40 PM »

Former. College is the new high school, everyone gets a degree. It's about doing excellent in whatever college you're in while being able to connect to a large and active alumni society upon graduation and knowing your school sends kids to good graduate programs. Of course if they aren't happy with the 1st one then they shouldn't go there.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #542 on: June 21, 2012, 10:11:56 PM »

How sure is she about what field she would like to get into? A ton of kids go off to college and find out they really don't want to major in what they thought. If your sister goes to the lesser school with the more focused program, she will need either be completely sure about the program she wants or have some other back-up plan there in case she doesn't like it. She's not going to need to worry about that as much at the better school with a less focused program.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #543 on: June 22, 2012, 03:03:06 AM »

I should have mentioned that they are both transferring in with associate's degrees as juniors. They've bounced around a bit major-wise in community college, but I think they pretty much have settled on the major that I've thought should have been their first choice all along as it fits them so well.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #544 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »

Former, half of college is the reputation, unfortunately. However I'd need names, to be honest. Are we talking Michigan or Ohio state, for example?

Also, how have they not chosen by now?
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #545 on: June 22, 2012, 02:59:04 PM »

Yes, give names.  And have them pick the cheaper one.  (However, they should know that having two bachelor's degrees doesn't count for much.)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #546 on: June 24, 2012, 09:30:52 AM »

I'm assuming the first university is Washington State. The second is, what, Eastern Washington?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #547 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)..and still think to this day. Dartmouth is the perfect compromise between, like, liberal arts college small and massive.

But I'm biased.

Does that mean I scare you?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #548 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)..and still think to this day. Dartmouth is the perfect compromise between, like, liberal arts college small and massive.

But I'm biased.

As a Dartmouth student, I have to say yes, if you attend Columbia, you scare me.

Ivy League FTW!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #549 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »

But I'm biased.

As a Dartmouth student, I have to say yes, if you attend Columbia, you scare me.

Ivy League FTW!

But Cornell and Brown are tragic places

The former: See young Tweed.

But I have good friends at both....
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 [22] 23 24 25 26 27 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies