Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:11:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87227 times)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« on: August 05, 2011, 05:04:11 PM »

I'm looking at graduate programs.  If I stay domestic, I'm definitely going for a PhD.  My top choices are Maryland's Linguistics program, NYU's Psych program, and URochester's Cognitive Science program.  I'm also applying for a Marshall Scholarship, which is two years postgrad in the UK (so, not enough for a PhD); my top choices right now are University College London's Psych program and York's Psych program.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 01:19:11 PM »

Is that for the full... is it three or four in the States? Anyway... years, or...?

Per year.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 10:18:09 PM »

For those who are thinking Ivy, I say never, ever avoid applying to at least one big state school.  Turning down Brown for Michigan State was one of the best decisions of my life.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2011, 10:11:47 PM »

Just wondering, did anyone else take the Explore and Plan tests? The Pre-Pre-Pre and Pre-Pre ACT? Tongue

I take the PSAT in October

The PLAN was somehow required in my school, or something.  I was mostly excited because there was an interest inventory, which promptly told me I had no interests Angry
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 07:43:00 AM »

My parents seem to have gotten it into their head that I will double major in Economics and Statistics, apparently without considering whether I actually have any interest in either.

Economics could be cool.  Majoring in History is the best one, though.

No, he is entirely aware what the best field to major in is Grin
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 02:17:15 PM »

No, he is entirely aware what the best field to major in is Grin

Linguistics?  Very boring (and impossible for someone like me who lacks a facility for language).

Oh, right, I just forgot that linguistics was learning a bunch of different languages.  Silly me.  I'll just drop my major, then Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:26:16 AM »
« Edited: September 02, 2011, 11:28:37 AM by ilikeverin »

Oh, right, I just forgot that linguistics was learning a bunch of different languages.  Silly me.  I'll just drop my major, then Wink

As you should Wink  What is involved in a linguistics major?

Linguistics is, broadly speaking, the study of the underlying structure of languages.  We're particularly interested in finding commonalities between languages, because those commonalities might spring from whatever underlying base all (normally-functioning) humans have that makes us capable of producing and understanding language.  Though language seems utterly chaotic on the surface, linguistics tells that there is underlying order, and, being Lawful Good, that's quite appealing to me.

Of course, within linguistics, there are a variety of different approaches, as well as different topics studied.  The modern field of linguistics (as promulgated by the God of Linguistics, Noam Chomsky) started with syntax, which is, roughly speaking, the study of word order, but you don't need to study syntax to consider yourself a linguist.  I'm hoping to focus on neurolinguistics when I go to graduate school, which is the study of speech/language processing in the brain, primarily using neuroimaging techniques.  Most of my current research is focused on word segmentation, how it is that we're able to hear where one word stops in speech and the next starts even though speech doesn't have spaces (or the acoustic equivalent thereof) like written language does.

Linguistics majors in college are usually required to take a variety of courses where they learn the study of various different levels of analysis of language, from the level of small variation in sounds (phonetics) to how words combine together in sentences to create meaning (semantics).  Beyond that, it's usually good to have experience in areas related to linguistics, depending on what likes best.  For me, having a psych major is a good fit, though other linguists would be better-suited double majoring in computer science, math, or anthropology.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 02:51:46 PM »

Ah, okay.  That sounds interesting, especially the neuro-related parts.

Yes, the neuro parts are the best parts Grin  Unfortunately, a lot of neuro-related people have a fairly naïve idea of what linguistics is and how language works, which helps in picking grad schools, as there's so few options Wink  Making the decision to go towards neurolinguistics is also motivated in part by the desire for future employment.  There's absolutely no job market for linguistics majors, even within academia.  The only exceptions are the more "applied" fields related to linguistics, including neurolinguistics, where you could get faculty appointments in psychology/neuroscience-type departments as well as linguistics.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 10:56:55 PM »

UW-Madison
UM-Ann Arbor
UBC
University of Minnesota (maybe)
UDub (maybe)
UC-Boulder (maybe)

I wanted to go to UCLA but I realize how futile that is so I'm not even going to bother applying.

Madison and Michigan are great schools, certainly close to some top tier institutions (which Michigan actually is).  I'm not familiar with some of the others, but those two are excellent.  Michigan really gouges people who are not from Michigan, though.

Yeah, Madison and Minnesota are great.  You should consider MSU, too.  Do it.  But, seriously, if you're Honors College material, there's really few better Honors programs in the country.  All course prerequisites are waived!  Distribution requirements become ridiculously easy to fulfill!  Scholarships aplenty!

Anyway, I'm definitely a proponent of cheap state schools over expensive private schools.  You can get whatever you want to out of your education, no matter where you are; it's just a matter of how much effort you put into it.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2011, 08:27:13 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This is not all "supposedly"; there are no specific classes at Brown, or even categories of classes, that Brown requires you to take.  You have to have at least one "concentration" and have a certain minimum of credits, and that's it.  It was wonderful.

Given that you care about that, I have no idea why Columbia, a school that has 6 classes that every single student is required without exception to take, is on your list.

Meanwhile, the Honors College at Michigan State requires 2 Natural Science, 2 Social Science, and 2 Humanities classes, each of which can be fulfilled by multiple departments' classes and AP credit Grin
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:15:46 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations?

Michigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan StateMichigan State!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 01:58:38 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 02:00:39 PM by ilikeverin »

What makes State better than Ann Arbor?

We give you money, Michigan doesn't! Grin

Also, our Honors College program is better.  I don't know of many other programs which let you bypass literally every single course prereq if you so desire, enroll in graduate-level classes at will, ignore core curriculum requirements in favor of a general set of class distributions, and substitute classes willy-nilly for degree requirements (my psych degree is being fulfilled with the help of something like 3 non-psych classes).

There's also a different in "feel" on the campus.  MSU is definitely much more campus-like; it's just one big block of land that's Michigan State, with East Lansing kind of chilling there on the north side.  Michigan is more integrated with Ann Arbor, but from what I've heard it's more in a "they stick buildings at random places where they happen to have room" kind of way, not like UW-Madison where I was blown off my feet by the amazing seamlessness of it.

I've been getting stuff recently from both Michigan State and Michigan. Interesting schools, but high tuition costs.

MSU's Honors College is really good about trying to make it affordable for talented out-of-state students to come to MSU.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 09:59:08 PM »

MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them.

wtf is your problem Angry
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 08:49:41 AM »

Thanks A-Bob. I'll keep an eye out. I'm on the mailing list.

MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them.

wtf is your problem Angry

Hey, I really did wantto, but couldn't. Due to my back's recovery, I can't stand for more than ten minutes at a time, and I got really sick while I was there. My friend loved their info, though.

Well, at least you know they're in the area Grin
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2011, 09:07:08 PM »
« Edited: October 06, 2011, 09:08:40 PM by ilikeverin »

What makes State better than Ann Arbor?

We give you money, Michigan doesn't! Grin

Also, our Honors College program is better.  I don't know of many other programs which let you bypass literally every single course prereq if you so desire, enroll in graduate-level classes at will, ignore core curriculum requirements in favor of a general set of class distributions, and substitute classes willy-nilly for degree requirements (my psych degree is being fulfilled with the help of something like 3 non-psych classes).

There's also a different in "feel" on the campus.  MSU is definitely much more campus-like; it's just one big block of land that's Michigan State, with East Lansing kind of chilling there on the north side.  Michigan is more integrated with Ann Arbor, but from what I've heard it's more in a "they stick buildings at random places where they happen to have room" kind of way, not like UW-Madison where I was blown off my feet by the amazing seamlessness of it.

I've been getting stuff recently from both Michigan State and Michigan. Interesting schools, but high tuition costs.

MSU's Honors College is [about trying to make it affordable for talented out-of-state students to come to MSU.
I was living in EL this summer, and I've got to say it's a pretty boring place, and the campus isn't that pedestrian friendly. I think this is the reason for some of the things u listed. I can't speak about UM, but UW campus(where I'm attending right now) blows MSU out of the water.

I don't deny Lansing is a very dull town.  But who cares?  The other benefits of coming to MSU make it worthwhile to live in Michigan for four years.  If you're picking a college based on where it's located (other than wanting to move somewhere away from home or close to home), you're choosing for very petty reasons.

Personally, I really like East Lansing in the summer.  The campus is much nicer without the masses buffeting you when you're on the way to the lab Wink

Come to UW, I think you have a shot at getting in. I think you have a shot at getting in most of the top-tier public schools.

In that case he should go to UVA.  #1 public school in the nation.

Or he should avoid somewhere where he'll get in debt up to his ears Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2011, 10:27:48 PM »

It most certainly is.  Not only is the faculty better than that of UC-Berkeley, UCLA, or Michigan, but it is also a better size, fewer financial issues, etc.  Definitively #1.

lolllllll being partisan.

The obvious answer is that "the best public school in the country" differs depending on the program.  For linguistics, it's Maryland; for nuclear physics and secondary education, it's Michigan State; for cognitive science, it's Indiana; and so on and so forth.  I'm sure it's Virginia for some random things, too.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2011, 06:45:30 AM »

lolllllll being partisan.

The obvious answer is that "the best public school in the country" differs depending on the program.  For linguistics, it's Maryland; for nuclear physics and secondary education, it's Michigan State; for cognitive science, it's Indiana; and so on and so forth.  I'm sure it's Virginia for some random things, too.

Don't ruin my narrative, Verin Wink

Well, no one seems to be paying much attention to mine, so I might as well ruin everyone else's!  Because I'm a Scooby Doo villain or something!  Muahahahaha!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:56:21 PM »

So, I got some things in the mail from Princeton last weekend, and WOW. I had no idea about how generous they are in giving out financial aid. My family's income bracket would qualify me for free tuition, as well as 12% off Room and Board expenses. Amazing. Definitely near the top of the list. Well, that is, if I can get in...

Damn dude, nice.  I don't think I can get any financial aid; I have to actually earn it Tongue

Why on earth are you applying to the schools you are, then?!

I can't go to UW because of my lack of an performing arts credit which I didn't factor into my schedule this semester. According to their website, Speech & Debate "generally is not accepted". I'd expect that from a LAC but really from a public state univerisity? What is this nonsense, I get punished for not caring about something that's useless?

I already applied to University of Idaho as a massive safety but because of free apps I'll be applying to:
Tulane (sup Bacon King)
Case Western (sup TJ)
Carleton

I'm not going to spend money applying to schools I don't necessarily want to go just in case.

Carleton as in Carleton U, where the K stands for quality or...?

perhaps Carleton College of MN, a personal favorite.

I hope so Smiley

I feel stupid around some of you, talking about places I have 0% at getting into...Tongue

I'm hours away from enrolling at Indiana. Getting some final questions answered now online with a representative.

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO APPLY TO MICHIGAN STATE

INDIANA AND MSU ARE FUNCTIONALLY EQUIVALENT BUT MSU HAS MORE MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS

(but good choice)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2011, 09:08:56 PM »

IT'S NOT TOO LATE TO APPLY TO MICHIGAN STATE

INDIANA AND MSU ARE FUNCTIONALLY EQUIVALENT BUT MSU HAS MORE MERIT SCHOLARSHIPS

(but good choice)
Out-of-state tuition. Wink

Hey, look, it's a page specifically dedicated to scholarships for out-of-state students!  And a page for merit-based scholarships which are awarded without regard to residency status!
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 12:54:05 PM »

Anyways, don't Harvard and Yale have similar things? Harvard has the "final" clubs, and Yale has its secret societies...

My impression is that Princeton is worse.  That may be wrong, but it is what I've heard.

Yeah... perhaps. I'll check it out and ask next summer when I'm visiting. I'm generally not someone who worries about that sort of thing, though. I'll be enrolling in summer college, I think, at one of the Ivies, and will get to check them all out in excursions afterward. Cool

I did Summer@Brown.  It was fun, and Providence was lovely Smiley
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2011, 09:44:15 AM »

Can anyone tell me much about UPenn? I've kind of ignored the school until now, but started doing the research, and it seems very interesting. For some reason, I thought it was smack dab in the middle of Philly, but as it turns out, it is in a gentrified area in the western part of the city. How good is the school compared to the other Ivies? What is its main focus (besides Wharton)?

I'm not sure where you were looking; UPenn is smack dab in the middle of an awful part of town, though there's something like a 5 block "exclusion zone" surrounding it.  UPenn has the world's best sociolinguistics program, I can tell you that Wink
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2011, 11:06:05 PM »

Currently in a scholarship frenzy - so many deadlines, so little time! Luckily, I think I made all of my December 1st ones. I have a bunch due on the 15th, though. Sucks Sad

Next week is finals week for me, and I also have 3 apps due, and I'd like to get the other 2 apps I have due out.  Yay.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2011, 10:48:25 AM »

My final list is, incidentally (and approximately in order of preference):

Maryland — College Park (PhD, Neuroscience and Cognitive Science)
McGill (PhD, Interdisciplinary Program in Neuroscience)
NYU (PhD, Psychology, Cognition and Perception)
University of Rochester (PhD, Brain and Cognitive Sciences)
Boston University (PhD, Computational Neuroscience)
Harvard University (PhD, Program in Speech and Hearing Biosciences and Technology)
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2011, 11:52:21 AM »

Harvard University (PhD, Program in Speech and Hearing Biosciences and Technology)

what's your GPA dude?

3.99.  4.0 in majors.  Silly electrical engineering Tongue
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 09:48:17 AM »

what's your GPA dude?

3.99.  4.0 in majors.  Silly electrical engineering Tongue

How do you do it? I'm Poli-Sci (i.e. easy major) and I'm barely mustering a 3.6. Sad

Mostly planning ahead.  I started studying for finals (this week) about two and a half weeks ago, and usually start papers a couple of weeks in advance, too.  And keeping a good sleep cycle.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies