Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:48:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87201 times)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 05, 2011, 04:54:14 PM »

Due to Tmth's popular and now diverse thread...What colleges and universities are you all planning to apply to? (For including Seniors, though anyone can post what they're looking at as well)
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 03:00:04 PM »

I'm going to apply to Ozarks Technical Community College. It's unique in that every student pays for his education by working in one of the number of on-campus businesses run by the college, so every student graduates totally debt-free.

That's real nice
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »

This is what I'm beginning to look at

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
MIT
University of Virginia
Georgetown
University of Pennsylvania
Washington and Lee
George Washington
William and Mary
University of Chicago

Somewhat in that order ish. And no, there's really nothing that would keep me anywhere but the east coast for schools. And now that I look at it this list creepily closely resembles Ben's... Tongue
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:25:29 PM »

This is what I'm beginning to look at

Harvard
Princeton
Yale
MIT
University of Virginia
Georgetown
University of Pennsylvania
Washington and Lee
George Washington
William and Mary
University of Chicago

Somewhat in that order ish. And no, there's really nothing that would keep me anywhere but the east coast for schools. And now that I look at it this list creepily closely resembles Ben's... Tongue

To the eyes of an uninformed foreigner, this list looks like the crème de la crème (forgive me my use of French Wink) of America's top universities. I'm pretty impressed!

I still need to get accepted first Wink But now that Harvard and Princeton have brought back early admissions...that helps out a lot.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:30:48 PM »

None of those are schools I could get into, so I don't see any reaches there.

Well, I feel that way about the top six or so (minus Cornell), but I think I could get into at least one or two of them.

Cornell is easy to get in relatively to the other ivy leagues but harder to get out...
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2011, 05:59:22 PM »

Why no GWU when you're applying to American?

American is a safety that I may or may not apply to; GW is simply too expensive to justify over a school like AU or JMU.

^ This. Considering it costs just as much as the ivys. I would only consider it if I got a good scholarship.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2011, 09:08:05 PM »

Just wondering, did anyone else take the Explore and Plan tests? The Pre-Pre-Pre and Pre-Pre ACT? Tongue

I take the PSAT in October
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 12:02:31 AM »

Just wondering, did anyone else take the Explore and Plan tests? The Pre-Pre-Pre and Pre-Pre ACT? Tongue

I take the PSAT in October
I took the PSAT - don't remember what I got exactly, but my best section was ironically math.

I took the ASVAB last year - of all tests to do well on, this had to be it! Sad I think I got a 94 on it, only doing poor on the automotive section (lol). Anyways, I've been getting lots of phone calls from the military now. The full-ride scholarship to any public school is tempting...Tongue

If you want to go to the military go through an Academy. This way you're an officer and get paid through college, not owing a dime. Otherwise ROTC. But don't just enlist Tongue
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »

I got contacted by Brown today to go to a Brown, U Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, and Rice joint info session in Denver. Finally and Ivy league knows me!...even though I don't care to go to Brown haha
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2011, 07:56:42 PM »

I got contacted by Brown today to go to a Brown, U Chicago, Columbia, Cornell, and Rice joint info session in Denver. Finally and Ivy league knows me!...even though I don't care to go to Brown haha

Those things are the worst.  I went to a UPenn, Duke, Stanford, and Harvard one, and it was a total waste.

I got invited to the UPenn, Duke, Sanford, Harvard, Georgetown one. I'm going to go to it just in case I do get any useable info, but I'm not going to any other things like that.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 09:44:33 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
GPA: 3.4 (weighted)
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.
Major: Economics

My college list should be on the last page. Tongue

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.

You can easily get into CU with that as long as you get your GPA up to 4.0 once you apply since your freshman year hurt (just so you know we call it CU not UC Boulder Wink )
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 04:27:40 PM »

Does anyone want to give my anymore university recommendations? I'm still searing all over the place, I already know the schools that I ideally want to go to as shown by my college lists. I'm just looking for one or two safeties that I could get into easily with my grades/SAT, a school where I could easily transfer into a "prestigious" school easily from and a school that is in a good location. (hint: think where a stereotypical hipster/latte liberal/creative class person would want to live)

My stats are:
GPA: 3.4 (weighted)
SAT: 2060 (Math: 640, Reading: 740, Writing: 680), I expect to boost this score by at least 50.
Extracurricular: canvassed for Idaho Democrats in 2010, interning with the Idaho Democrats now, possibly participating in OFA Fall Fellows, possibly doing some sort of stint in municipal government.
Other information: I have a upward trend with my GPA from 2.4 to 3.8 to 4.0 from year to year.
Major: Economics

My college list should be on the last page. Tongue

Yeah, my stats blow. Why? I'm lazy, I live in an area with a bad environment for intellectual stimulation and I went through an angsty period in my Freshman year and part of my Sophomore year in high school.

You can easily get into CU with that as long as you get your GPA up to 4.0 once you apply since your freshman year hurt (just so you know we call it CU not UC Boulder Wink )

I know, I just refuse to use that backwards acronym, it's stupid. Tongue

Really though, a 4.0 GPA to get into CU-Boulder? I thought it was far easier than that to get in, even if you were out of state.

If freshman year you got a weighted 2.4 GPA and CU being an out of state school, then yes you should get a 4.0 to make up for it, unless you are planning on going into sports at CU. It's possible to go under and still get in, I mean the school isn't that grand at all except a decent engineering program, but if you want to guarantee 99% you'll get in you need to get up to that 4.0. Your SAT scores are great for CU though so that will help
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 03:25:26 PM »

I've figured out that for Early Action I'll be applying to:
University of Virginia
Georgetown University
University of Michigan

I thought it was only possible to do two early actions?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »

I don't think Harvard has early action anymore, do they? Or did they just do away with early decision? I remember they were changing their admissions procedures while I was applying to colleges in 2006/2007.

Harvard and Princeton just added early action back
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »

I don't think Harvard has early action anymore, do they? Or did they just do away with early decision? I remember they were changing their admissions procedures while I was applying to colleges in 2006/2007.

Harvard and Princeton just added early action back

Harvard is also Single Choice, meaning I cannot do EA anywhere else.  If it were unrestricted, like UVA, Georgetown, and Michigan, I'd go for it.  But I'm now better off waiting.

The acceptance rate will be higher (twice as higher according to the last years they did it) if you apply early for them though. How will waiting increase your chances?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:42:54 PM »

So, I went to a college fair on Thursday at a neighboring high school. Very disappointed. The only two schools I was interested in that were present were UC Berkeley, UCLA, and U$C, and there were practically no privates from out of state. MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them. Not even Stanford was present, which shocked me. Though I bet the Stanford Admissions Office thinks that not a single person who would approach them would get admitted, so maybe they didn't see it as worthwhile to go. It's a shame, because I thought the Ivies and Ivy-caliber institutions would be there, and only a few comparable institutions showed up.

In any case, it was not a fun night. I really strained myself the entire day, and my body literally collapsed from exhaustion afterward.

Stanford, Harvard, and UPenn do pretty much all their "college admissions fairs" together with Georgetown and Duke. So if you want them keep an eye out I'm sure they'll make some stops in Michigan, they were going to Montana after they came to Colorado Springs
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 05:30:08 PM »

I went to both Princeton and Yale things these past few weeks. Yale's college life seems amazing, despite it being in New Haven. Princeton literally mimics what Yale has going (with their mini residential colleges and stuff) only it seems less unifying and a less active school (not that it isn't).
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2011, 08:49:59 PM »

So, I got some things in the mail from Princeton last weekend, and WOW. I had no idea about how generous they are in giving out financial aid. My family's income bracket would qualify me for free tuition, as well as 12% off Room and Board expenses. Amazing. Definitely near the top of the list. Well, that is, if I can get in...

That's around the bracket I'm in and my family has been in for some years, but my sister got zero from Cornell her first year and small increases they next few years and they advocate the same sort of policy of such large average grants so...-_-
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »

Did anyone else take the PSAT today? If so, how do you think you did? I think I got a few wrong on the math section (I skipped one due to time constraints), but I think I nailed the verbal and writing sections. I'm hoping I qualify for the National Merit Scholarship, but I had no time to study and my surgery over the summer prevented me from doing anything for two months, so...

Yeah. I thought I nailed the reading and there were 3 I was sorta unsure what the question was actually asking for math. Writing I didn't feel too good about, but that's always been my lowest score for practicing.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2011, 07:34:02 PM »

Penn is exceptional.  A friend of mine is applying ED, and she just loves it.  I'm in the same boat; absolutely love Penn.

P.S. what can anyone tell me about Georgetown?

Obviously it's great to go to because its in DC, and in my opinion, better than the rest of the DC centered schools like GW. Georgetown used to be at the top of my list, but now its moving down the ladder. They have their own separate app, though with your scores and extracurricular I would put money down that you'd get in. Even some kids from my school have gone there and Colorado public education is equally as impressive as North Dakota.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2011, 10:00:27 PM »

Since everyone else is mentioning it, I'm applying early action to Fordham and DePaul and early decision to George Washington. I have no idea how my chances are for any of them.

Weird list?

My mom went to Fordham...accounting.

What a fun thing to study blah
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2011, 04:52:00 PM »

Last night I paid my enrollment deposit at Indiana.

How much is instate for Indiana?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2011, 02:07:46 AM »

My sister is in her last year at Cornell and has always hated it. It is a pretty solemn place with nothing up there, cold, and dark in winter.

And easiest to get in hardest to get out is pretty true, but probably because the focus isn't on liberal arts there as the other undergraduate ivy leagues are.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2012, 11:24:20 PM »

Ivy-leagues come out April 1st right? I'm trying to remember back to when my sister applied.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »

Awesome!
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies