Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:58:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87243 times)
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: August 06, 2011, 09:22:59 PM »

None of those are schools I could get into, so I don't see any reaches there.

Well, I feel that way about the top six or so (minus Cornell), but I think I could get into at least one or two of them.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 11:24:47 PM »

None of those are schools I could get into, so I don't see any reaches there.

Well, I feel that way about the top six or so (minus Cornell), but I think I could get into at least one or two of them.

Cornell is easy to get in relatively to the other ivy leagues but harder to get out...

That's what I hear... no grade inflation at all. Cornell ED has something like a 35% acceptance rate, but the workload is intense.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 07:51:33 PM »

Congrats Tmth. Where else will you apply now?

One of the reason I like Columbia is the core.  It looks fascinating.

I like Columbia, but no one in my family wants me to live in NYC at age 18 (for whatever reason). UChicago has a similar "core" system, right?  Maybe for graduate school, but hey, I'm still a junior and should just focus on that. Tongue

By the way, I was thinking of attending a "summer college" for high school students next year (probably at Cornell or UChicago). I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with them at all.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2011, 06:20:39 PM »

I've figured out that for Early Action I'll be applying to:
University of Virginia
Georgetown University
University of Michigan

Hmm, I always thought it was your ambition to attend Harvard. Why not apply there early decision? By the way, are you applying to Georgetown College, or the School of Foreign Service?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2011, 10:40:52 PM »

I don't think Harvard has early action anymore, do they? Or did they just do away with early decision? I remember they were changing their admissions procedures while I was applying to colleges in 2006/2007.

Harvard and Princeton just added early action back

Harvard is also Single Choice, meaning I cannot do EA anywhere else.  If it were unrestricted, like UVA, Georgetown, and Michigan, I'd go for it.  But I'm now better off waiting.

Weren't you applying to UChicago as well? They also have unrestricted Early Action.

Hey, I just had a crazy idea. Since many of us are applying to the same colleges, wouldn't it be crazy if some of the posters here chose to attend the same one? Of course, I'm a year behind most here, but still, it would be funny.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:01:32 AM »

Maybe, Tmth. My grandfather absolutely loves Indiana; though he is a graduate of Michigan and Miami.

applying to undergrad is way more fun than applying to law school

Hey, you went to Cornell for undergraduate studies, right? How did you like it? That school is  close to the top on my list.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2011, 04:45:23 PM »

So, I went to a college fair on Thursday at a neighboring high school. Very disappointed. The only two schools I was interested in that were present were UC Berkeley, UCLA, and U$C, and there were practically no privates from out of state. MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them. Not even Stanford was present, which shocked me. Though I bet the Stanford Admissions Office thinks that not a single person who would approach them would get admitted, so maybe they didn't see it as worthwhile to go. It's a shame, because I thought the Ivies and Ivy-caliber institutions would be there, and only a few comparable institutions showed up.

In any case, it was not a fun night. I really strained myself the entire day, and my body literally collapsed from exhaustion afterward.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 01:32:54 AM »

Thanks A-Bob. I'll keep an eye out. I'm on the mailing list.

MSU was there for some strange reason, though, but I didn't get the chance to speak with them.

wtf is your problem Angry

Hey, I really did wantto, but couldn't. Due to my back's recovery, I can't stand for more than ten minutes at a time, and I got really sick while I was there. My friend loved their info, though.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2011, 08:18:09 PM »

Come to UW, I think you have a shot at getting in. I think you have a shot at getting in most of the top-tier public schools.

In that case he should go to UVA.  #1 public school in the nation.

UVA is very hard for an out-of-state applicant. You Virginians have it easy. My friend was accepted at Princeton and MIT, but rejected at UVA.

And besides, Cal Berkeley, despite all of its current problems, is the best public school in the nation. 68 Nobel Prizes do not lie. Tongue
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
« Edited: October 13, 2011, 07:31:18 PM by NiK »

So, I got some things in the mail from Princeton last weekend, and WOW. I had no idea about how generous they are in giving out financial aid. My family's income bracket would qualify me for free tuition, as well as 12% off Room and Board expenses. Amazing. Definitely near the top of the list. Well, that is, if I can get in...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2011, 07:54:48 PM »

So, I got some things in the mail from Princeton last weekend, and WOW. I had no idea about how generous they are in giving out financial aid. My family's income bracket would qualify me for free tuition, as well as 12% off Room and Board expenses. Amazing. Definitely near the top of the list. Well, that is, if I can get in...

Damn dude, nice.  I don't think I can get any financial aid; I have to actually earn it Tongue

But I've also never been interested in Princeton.  The eating clubs are unnerving.

Yeah, I asked my teacher (an alumni) about them. He says that some people make a big deal about them, while others don't. And since he attended the school in the 1970s, I think that it is safe to say that their influence has diminished.

Anyways, don't Harvard and Yale have similar things? Harvard has the "final" clubs, and Yale has its secret societies...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 09:58:47 PM »

Anyways, don't Harvard and Yale have similar things? Harvard has the "final" clubs, and Yale has its secret societies...

My impression is that Princeton is worse.  That may be wrong, but it is what I've heard.

Yeah... perhaps. I'll check it out and ask next summer when I'm visiting. I'm generally not someone who worries about that sort of thing, though. I'll be enrolling in summer college, I think, at one of the Ivies, and will get to check them all out in excursions afterward. Cool

That's around the bracket I'm in and my family has been in for some years, but my sister got zero from Cornell her first year and small increases they next few years and they advocate the same sort of policy of such large average grants so...-_-

Wow, that's absolutely brutal... But I've heard Cornell is kind of skimpy when it comes to financial aid when it comes to the Ivies.

I feel stupid around some of you, talking about places I have 0% at getting into...Tongue

I'm hours away from enrolling at Indiana. Getting some final questions answered now online with a representative.

Nonsense. School =/ intellect. Besides, there's no guarantee we'll be going to any of the schools we have mentioned... since really, most of the acceptance rates are sub-25%.

Luckily for me, though, I have a few aces in the hole...

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 08:36:38 PM »

If it's Early Action, hell yes.  I'm doing three schools EA.

Only do early decision if you are absolutely in love with the school and know that that is where you want to spend four years. You have the disadvantage of not being able to compare financial aid packages if you do early decision.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2011, 10:17:48 PM »

Did anyone else take the PSAT today? If so, how do you think you did? I think I got a few wrong on the math section (I skipped one due to time constraints), but I think I nailed the verbal and writing sections. I'm hoping I qualify for the National Merit Scholarship, but I had no time to study and my surgery over the summer prevented me from doing anything for two months, so...
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

Did anyone else take the PSAT today? If so, how do you think you did? I think I got a few wrong on the math section (I skipped one due to time constraints), but I think I nailed the verbal and writing sections. I'm hoping I qualify for the National Merit Scholarship, but I had no time to study and my surgery over the summer prevented me from doing anything for two months, so...

My son did. Does that count as vicarious testing?

Cool. Are there any schools in particular that he is interested in?

The PSAT on a Saturday?  My school had us take it in the morning on a school day.

Yep. I was sick, too. I ended up lying down on the floor and taking it, since I can't fit in desks or sit up for long periods of time. I still think I did well, though.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2011, 09:53:23 PM »

Yeah. I thought I nailed the reading and there were 3 I was sorta unsure what the question was actually asking for math. Writing I didn't feel too good about, but that's always been my lowest score for practicing.

For math, the time constraints sucked. Math is not my best subject anyway, but I generally try to view each problem for a sufficient time beforehand. I just hope I did well, since a lot of the questions were ridiculously easy. "2000 is 50% of what number?" et ceterea. I skipped over one, and I probably got two of the fill-ins wrong (though that doesn't deduct points). I felt comfortable, though. For writing, there was probably one that tripped me up. The whole "Is the error A, B, C, or D?" thing confused me on a few. But for the reading, I don't think I could have possibly gotten more than one wrong. There were just so many easy questions... though once again, I didn't have any time to look over them.

Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2011, 11:08:02 PM »

Can anyone tell me much about UPenn? I've kind of ignored the school until now, but started doing the research, and it seems very interesting. For some reason, I thought it was smack dab in the middle of Philly, but as it turns out, it is in a gentrified area in the western part of the city. How good is the school compared to the other Ivies? What is its main focus (besides Wharton)?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2011, 11:07:27 PM »

Can anyone tell me much about UPenn? I've kind of ignored the school until now, but started doing the research, and it seems very interesting. For some reason, I thought it was smack dab in the middle of Philly, but as it turns out, it is in a gentrified area in the western part of the city. How good is the school compared to the other Ivies? What is its main focus (besides Wharton)?

It's an excellent school all around.  Wharton is the most famous, but really every program is exceptional.  I'm looking into it; if I weren't so hung up on Harvard, I would've applied ED to Penn.

Yeah, I really like what I have read so far. Have you ever been to the campus? Do you know anything about the Huntsman program?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2011, 11:28:21 PM »

Have you ever been to the campus? Do you know anything about the Huntsman program?

I loved the campus, but no, I know nothing about the Huntsman program.

From what I've read, the Huntsman program is a joint degree that combines undergraduate study at Wharton, a degree in International Studies, and a specialization in a foreign language. It seems really awesome, but I don't think I'd be eligible. For one, I will only have had three years of German (my high school does not offer it as an AP Class, and I didn't get into the class as a Freshman) and need to have about a 700+ on its SAT II to get in. Plus, I have no business extracurriculars, so yeah...

I still like what I've seen though. I think I'll apply to UPenn CAS, and I'll definitely add it to my itinerary next year. Smiley
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2011, 12:45:44 AM »

3 apps nearly done; all that's left is the proofreading.

Make sure to get a teacher (or someone like that) to look over it. Humans are not infallible; make sure to get a second (or third!) opinion before sending it.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »

It's official: I love UPenn. And the Huntsman program is epic. Dual degree from Wharton and the College? Wow. I can't wait to check the Ivies out next summer! Let's just hope my SAT lands where I expect it to. (One practice test was a 2290, the other a 2330, but I know not to go on those results, plus I administered them myself...)

Has anyone applied or thought about applying to the University of Washington? It's still pretty far off for me but I'm contemplating applying there for Grad School after I get back from the Peace Corps (assuming I get into the Peace Corps *knock on wood*). I'm going to go for my Master's in Public Policy.

Where did you go for your undergraduate degree?
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2011, 02:49:52 PM »

University of Phoenix Cheesy

Just kidding!

I go to Saginaw Valley State University. It's a mid-tier public university by Michigan's standards. I got into UofM and MSU but the allure of full tuition remission was just too much to pass up. Barring anything disastrous, I should graduate with about a 3.8-3.85 GPA. My extra-curriculars are good and after I get back from the Peace Corps *again, knock on wood*, I should have a pretty demonstrable record concerning commitment to public service.  

Oh, and I meant Master's of Public Administration. Sorry, MPA and MPP are so easy to confuse sometimes.

With a 3.85 and good extracurricular activities (Peace Corps, yeah, you're solid), you would most likely get into Washington. But hell, if you score high enough on the GRE, you could get into Harvard Kennedy or Princeton WWS too, probably. Applying for an MPA isn't nearly as competitive as say, a JD. Keep that in mind.
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2011, 09:32:04 PM »

And I have no applied to Georgetown, UVA, and Michigan Cheesy

Congratulations! Now you are in for an excruciating November and December. Have fun!

A Senior friend of mine just sent his application into Georgetown EA as well, but he didn't apply to any other schools. I'll pull for you both.

But I know you still have your heart set on Harvard. Wink
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2011, 11:51:52 PM »

Sorry to hear that. At least it wasn't a rejection, though, you still have a chance. Now, how about Michigan and Virginia?

(Btw, a friend of mine just got rejected from Georgetown. He wasn't very surprised, but thought he stood a chance).
Psychic Octopus
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2011, 05:52:14 PM »

I'm interested in Cornell, though it should be noted it is not worst-ranked (It's tied with Brown), and is better ranked worldwide. Not that it matters, though - rankings are silly with institutions like that, and laymen's prestige places Harvard and Yale (and Stanford on the West Coast, but not the east) higher than any school in the country. After that, it doesn't really matter.

I've heard nightmarish stories about Cornell's depression. I don't know how much I'd like to go to a school like that.

Cornell was the safety school for a lot of these people and they are only here because Harvard and Yale rejected them.

That's rather silly of them, then. No one should treat an Ivy League school (or even a top public) as a safety.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies