Applying To Colleges (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 10:50:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Applying To Colleges (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Applying To Colleges  (Read 87345 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: January 02, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »

Hail!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 07:24:25 PM »

Washington Univ. in St. L?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 12:00:18 AM »
« Edited: March 30, 2012, 12:05:05 AM by Simfan34 »

I'll take Columbia and Georgetown, yes.  Also rejected by Yale, accepted by Hopkins, and haven't heard from Harvard.

Join the club. Sad

Accepted at NYU Stern and UChicago- and I thought we concluded I wasn't a hipster! Yet to hear from Columbia- password problems. 5 for 6.

Here was my take:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2012, 09:58:26 AM »

Thanks NiK! And the password problems with Columbia were resolved and the verdict is: I'm in! Cheesy
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:37 PM »

Speaking from experience?

Yeah, US university applications seem a nightmare from Hell.

Not entirely sure, but I think they have to sometimes even pay for the privilege of having their application reviewed.

And then when you even do get into a university their degree requirements seem to also be rather absurd, having a round of basic courses in Math, literature, etc. (although some universities might be different) in the first couple of semesters. Either high schools aren't doing what they need to be doing or the universities, as dependent as they are on tuition fees, are just trying to make a buck.

The whole system is very odd.

Well considering the vast amounts of essays required to differentiate the students from one another, the fees are justified. There are a lot of fees in the US system. AP exams can limit core classes. The system focuses on broad liberal arts education. Thus there is a need for advanced degrees.

God I hate it when your post deletes yourself- as you're about to copy it!!!!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 10:04:24 PM »

So, it looks like out of my graduating class I will be the one attending the school most difficult to get into and that is the most prestigious. I really don't understand how this happened...

Nor do I- in my own case, that is, not yours! Committed to Columbia.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 10:27:05 PM »

But the Core Curriculum is awesome! In my field you have to get a graduate degree no matter what, and apparently there's some repetition, so why not broaden your mind if you have to fill credit requirements? Gives us all something in common to talk about, anyway.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 10:44:34 PM »

But the Core Curriculum is awesome! In my field you have to get a graduate degree no matter what, and apparently there's some repetition, so why not broaden your mind if you have to fill credit requirements? Gives us all something in common to talk about, anyway.

Sure, if you'd like to "broaden your mind", and if you think that the best way to do so is read a bunch of old books, your university should let you.  If you don't want to, your university should let you.  If you want to broaden your mind by taking a bunch of random classes from all sorts of different departments, your university should let you.  Besides, how often do you think those mythical "conversations about core curriculum" conversations actually happen? Wink

A great deal, I am assured.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2012, 10:46:10 AM »

Former, half of college is the reputation, unfortunately. However I'd need names, to be honest. Are we talking Michigan or Ohio state, for example?

Also, how have they not chosen by now?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 07:14:18 PM »

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)..and still think to this day. Dartmouth is the perfect compromise between, like, liberal arts college small and massive.

But I'm biased.

Does that mean I scare you?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »

I applied and got into Rice, but didn't go. A few of my friends go there though. The quality of life is probably one of the best of all undergrad schools, from what I've read/been told. Seems like they have a tradition to celebrate nearly every day.

I recently learned that it is ridiculously small -- only about 3500 undergrads. That's even smaller than Dartmouth...

Smaller is better! Or at least that's what I thought when I was visiting schools (Columbia scared the sh*t out of me)..and still think to this day. Dartmouth is the perfect compromise between, like, liberal arts college small and massive.

But I'm biased.

As a Dartmouth student, I have to say yes, if you attend Columbia, you scare me.

Ivy League FTW!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:26:43 PM »

But I'm biased.

As a Dartmouth student, I have to say yes, if you attend Columbia, you scare me.

Ivy League FTW!

But Cornell and Brown are tragic places

The former: See young Tweed.

But I have good friends at both....
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 01:57:11 AM »

This forum is quickly becoming a haven for kids who go to selective colleges. At this rate, in five years all the youngins will exclusively go to Ivy League schools and be Jewish, Asian or WASPs.

Need that be an and or an or? If it's the former I'm a strange paradox. Tmth, I'd like to repeat my commiserations.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2012, 01:52:08 AM »

This forum is quickly becoming a haven for kids who go to selective colleges. At this rate, in five years all the youngins will exclusively go to Ivy League schools and be Jewish, Asian or WASPs.

Oh, god, you should see my school. Twenty people going to Ivy League schools, five more at Stanford, and of course almost 20% are going to Berkeley.

You go to Cal, right? That's where my dad went. Lots of colours in the Bay Area, for sure...

A-Bob, Yale is a wonderful school, definitely. Come swing by Columbia, though...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 11:25:12 PM »

Have they branded you yet? Or do they only do that in black fraternities?

One time over the summer while I was working for school, they gave people working over the summer free on campus housing, so I lived in an apartment with three other guys I had never met. One of them was an African-American. One night, like a Wednesday or something, I was in my room watching TV on my laptop in bed. When I had come home I saw that my black roommate and his friends were hanging out in the living room, as they were wont to do, so I just went to my room. While watching TV I heard some loud noises in the kitchen and it smelled like they were cooking something, but didn't care to investigate. The next morning I wake up to go to work and walk into the kitchen, and it's a mess, with flour everywhere, metal wires bent into shapes, and the stove elements (I think that's what they're called?) were all taken off. Turned out he and his fraternity buddies had branded themselves that night while I was watching TV in my room.

Good lord, how peverse.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 09:35:04 PM »

Hmm, how do I encourage A-Bob to apply to my college without actually revealing where I go...? What a dilemma...

Go Dartmouth, too!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2012, 12:16:10 AM »

The law school application process, on the other hand, is fantastic. Basically all the schools care about is your GPA and your LSAT, the applications are basically all identical, and it's very easy to confidently predict which schools will accept you and which will reject you. Plus studying for the LSAT is fun.

Is this sarcasm?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »

That's nice. Don't think PhD programs are that easy, so... but I don't think going for the five-year program here is that bad. Last year 8 people applied to the BA-MPA/MIA program and all 8 got in, so...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 07:16:49 PM »

I've know we sent out decisions today, so anyone have any good news?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies