Who will have a better showing?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:57:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Who will have a better showing?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who will have a better showing?
Pawlenty

Huntsman

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 47

Author Topic: Who will have a better showing?  (Read 1612 times)
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 01, 2011, 09:54:54 PM »

We already know that both of these gentlemen are destined to lose and lose badly. However, I would like to know which one you think will have a slightly less embarrassing showing.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 10:19:36 PM »

Pawlenty will get more votes overall. Huntsman will come out looking better though because he's only in to boost name recognition for 2016 whereas Pawlenty will probably leave the primary as a nobody.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 02:03:56 PM »

Huntsman.  Pawlenty has already peaked.  Huntsman is TBD but it'd be hard to perform worse than Pawlenty relative to expectations (or just about any other measure).
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 02:20:54 PM »

Huntsman will survive past Iowa, make a decent showing in NH (5-7%?) and go on to Florida, where he will drop out. He will be viable in 2016 as a result. Pawlenty, like Sam Brownback, needs Iowa to go anywhere.
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 03:11:36 PM »

Pawlenty, he actually has a base, Huntsman just has money backers.

And with more moderates like Giuliani and Pataki entering the race, that hurts Huntsman, especially Giuliani.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2011, 03:16:51 PM »

Pawlenty
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 03:21:20 PM »

Pawlenty. Huntsman is loved by some journalists, but those who praise him are not going to be primary voters.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 03:37:40 PM »

I guess Huntsman but they're both going to be in single digits so it doesn't really matter.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 06:38:25 PM »

Whichever one doesn't drop out before Iowa.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 09:45:15 PM »

Well since I think Huntsman has some chance of becoming POTUS with odds a bit more than fanciful, and T-Paw does not ...
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 01:40:05 PM »

Huntsman appeals to the middle of the road conservatives who don't really have a horse in this race. The crowd that Pawlenty is going for already has a bunch of candidates.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 06:16:14 PM »

Huntsman has a niche with liberal Republicans and independents.  The best response Pawlenty gets is "meh, he's not bad" and "Who?"
"'Oeps!' De blunders van Rick Perry Indicted"
DarthNader

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »

Huntsman has a niche with liberal Republicans and independents.

That's why he's an irrelevancy. There are maybe three liberal Republicans left in the whole country (two are for Obama, the third is leaning Romney). And Torie/anvi fantasizing aside, David Gergenesque indies are never going to be a large factor in a GOP primary.

Say what you will about Pawlenty, he at least has some idea of who comprises his party's base now.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 09:39:58 PM »

Well since I think Huntsman has some chance of becoming POTUS with odds a bit more than fanciful, and T-Paw does not ...

How would he win the nomination, Torie?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 09:50:52 PM »
« Edited: August 03, 2011, 09:52:35 PM by Torie »

Mittens needs to stumble, and Huntsman needs to impress in the debates, and probably show substantially better than Mittens against Obama in the polls. I don't think the rest of the field is in the hunt. They are all losers - all of them. Give it time. T-Paw will be out in the near future. That leaves two candidates with some credibility. Yes, Perry will start out with some, but will fade in a hurry if he is foolish enough to get into this fray. With the klieg lights on him, it won't take long.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2011, 09:28:22 AM »

Pawlenty. I keep forgetting who has the Venn diagram where 99% of Huntsman supporters are journalists, but I wholeheartedly agree with that assessment. Read POLITICO's article on how Huntsman's campaign is like an exploding WWII battlewagon: magazines going up every little while with auxiliary power flickering on and off. Or to put it another way: McCain summer '07 x1000.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 01:57:16 PM »

Mittens needs to stumble, and Huntsman needs to impress in the debates, and probably show substantially better than Mittens against Obama in the polls. I don't think the rest of the field is in the hunt. They are all losers - all of them. Give it time. T-Paw will be out in the near future. That leaves two candidates with some credibility. Yes, Perry will start out with some, but will fade in a hurry if he is foolish enough to get into this fray. With the klieg lights on him, it won't take long.

This is, roughly, my view of Huntsman and my basis for support.  Huntsman does have a path if he can present himself as the authentic statesman the GOP primary currently lacks, but someone is going to have to really stick it to Romney for that to happen.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »

Torie, I've known you for many years now, and have always found your political analysis to be highly insightful, but you're smoking crack if you think Huntsman has more than a snowball's chance in hell of winning the nomination.  His chance at the nomination could basically be killed with one sentence that I think we all know the content of.

Frankly, the only reason why Romney has to be considered the favorite is because of the strength with which he is polling nationally against Obama.  If the other "kookier" candidates with a chance either start polling ahead of Obama or start polling the same as Romney, he will no longer be considered the favorite, and may collapse, because they are where the vast majority of the GOP base (and its corresponding "Independent" cohort) are.  It's that simple, really.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2011, 07:51:27 PM »

Yes, I know Huntsman is a long shot, Sam, but let's see how he does in the debates, OK?  By the way, even Hugh Hewitt admitted that Bachmann is unelectable against Obama, so in the end, it has to be somebody that really seems creditable to put their family pics on the Oval office desk. And it will be. And looking at the list, I don't see anyone creditable but the two Mormons (sorry, T-Paw means well, but he's a nebbish). Don't blame me!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2011, 08:11:56 PM »

Yes, I know Huntsman is a long shot, Sam, but let's see how he does in the debates, OK?  By the way, even Hugh Hewitt admitted that Bachmann is unelectable against Obama, so in the end, it has to be somebody that really seems creditable to put their family pics on the Oval office desk. And it will be. And looking at the list, I don't see anyone creditable but the two Mormons (sorry, T-Paw means well, but he's a nebbish). Don't blame me!

I seem to recall that Huntsman was a willing part of the Obama administration.  If so, why do I need to see any debates?

At this point, anyone who can win the Republican nomination is electable as President because the potential for economic chaos is substantial, where anyone with a pulse can win.  I will certainly concede that if X cannot win the nomination, then they cannot win the Presidency, but you are counting far too many people as being "out" at this point - insurgency is a very powerful force right now.

Just as an FYI, Obama certainly was elected under similar conditions in 2008, but probably would have been elected anyway because of the legacy of Bush.  Without the legacy of Bush and economic chaos, the chances of Obama winning would have dropped dramatically, and honestly, he probably wouldn't have gotten out of the Democratic primary (which he barely did anyway, due to taking complete advantage of the weird system).

As for Hugh Hewitt, I generally find him to be a simple-minded idiot of the Republican/conservative persuasion.  There are a lot of those.
TheGlobalizer
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2011, 10:52:04 AM »

I seem to recall that Huntsman was a willing part of the Obama administration.  If so, why do I need to see any debates?

What a strange thing to say.

All Huntsman needs to say in response to this Obama administration stuff is "I wanted to serve my country".  It's like questioning an Army general for serving under a Democratic president.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies