How long until riots begin in the U.S.?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:13:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  How long until riots begin in the U.S.?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: Huh
Imminently

Only if things get really bad.

Lulz

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 45

Author Topic: How long until riots begin in the U.S.?  (Read 6955 times)
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2011, 11:23:38 PM »

Neither riots, nor revolution.  It's a realignment.   Welcome to 1979!
lol...

More like 1929.

And considering who the GOP has up for offer... well, Reagan would be a marked improvement.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 11:28:09 PM »

There may be riots amongst minority youth at some point in the next few years. White people, even the kids, won't riot though. They're still too well off.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 11:32:37 PM »

Tea Party Movement started a couple of years ago.  I imagine if Obama gets re-elected, shocked idiots will react like shocked idiots.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 11:35:38 PM »

If America is anywhere close to being what I hope it is, sooner rather than later. But more needs to be done than that. Our government has been sticking both middle fingers at us and laughing for far too long. Our country is an embarrassment. I also hope you guys are right in that it's apolitical. The very last thing anyone in Washington needs is a side to unequivocally take at the expense of reason. What I'm most sick of is a President that I have a feeling agrees with most of us and yet bites his tongue and plays the game anyway. I can't decide whether he'd actually grow some balls if he's reelected or if he really is just a career campaigner. Something's gotta give, regardless. Anyway, now I'm just rambling. Essentially, it needs to happen and it needs to be big.
I also get this feeling that Obama does agree with "us" and he's probably frustrated with himself for f**king up so grandly.  But I don't foresee a change.  He's not playing the game.  The game is playing him.

Honestly, I hope that Obama snaps. I hope that he has a mental breakdown where he loses his faith in his ability to compromise with the Republicans, with his ability to win reelection, and what he was taught growing up, and realizes that Summers, Bernanke, Geithner, etc etc f--ked him over and set up him up to be the fall guy for their theft. But it's probably too much to hope for.

This.

This, this, this, this, this.

A completely and utterly mad President is one of the only things that I can conceive of that could even begin to break free of this grey area, one way or another.

Another is large-scale rioting coupled with occupation of major urban areas. I'm talking occupation, People Power Revolution-style jamming the Washington Beltway/Fifth Avenue/Boston Common/New Jersey Turnpike/I-90 in Chicago/you get the idea with human bodies until something gives.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 11:37:02 PM »

Haha. This is a civilized continent, you see. It isn't like Europe. Of course there won't be rioting.

Tea Party Movement started a couple of years ago.  I imagine if Obama gets re-elected, shocked idiots will react like shocked idiots.

Ah, right. Those violent Tea Partiers...that have yet to engage in rioting.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2011, 11:39:24 PM »

Maybe I am just naive to the attraction of rioting, but what would we actually be rioting for?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2011, 11:41:18 PM »

Quit looking into possible political motivations so much. If we do have lots of riots, it will be angry young people who like smashing and burning things.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2011, 11:46:42 PM »

I've been to one riot in my life, and it was because a bunch of drunk college students thought it'd be fun to start bonfires in the street and rip up fences. That was the entire motivation.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2011, 11:47:08 PM »

Quit looking into possible political motivations so much. If we do have lots of riots, it will be angry young people who like smashing and burning things.

This just goes to show me why I will probably never riot. Destroying things for no reason at all.

In a sense it's a shame for lack of a better word because I have a nasty temper if rubbed the wrong way, but I'd have to actually be angry about something in particular.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2011, 12:10:50 AM »

Neither riots, nor revolution.  It's a realignment.   Welcome to 1979!
lol...

More like 1929.

And considering who the GOP has up for offer... well, Reagan would be a marked improvement.

What could be happening might make RWR look like FDR.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: August 09, 2011, 12:12:29 AM »

Maybe I am just naive to the attraction of rioting, but what would we actually be rioting for?

To make people pay attention.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2011, 12:15:07 AM »

Haha. This is a civilized continent, you see. It isn't like Europe. Of course there won't be rioting.

Tea Party Movement started a couple of years ago.  I imagine if Obama gets re-elected, shocked idiots will react like shocked idiots.

Ah, right. Those violent Tea Partiers...that have yet to engage in rioting.

You're right.  There haven't been riots in years here.  No American has the energy to get off the couch and riot anyway.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2011, 12:25:36 AM »

Well, riots are the only result possible as long governments refuse to face truth and accept to reform capitalism to restore tips to an equilibrum. Now, they are heavily tilted on the corporations' side.

The further it is unbalanced, the hardest the recoil will be.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #38 on: August 09, 2011, 12:33:16 AM »

We'll have to wait until 2013 to see massive protests. What happened in Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan was a nice prelude, imagine that on a larger scale against the federal government except instead of angry public workers leading the way, it will probably be younger university students and somewhat less partisan. Riots will probably happen along the way at some point but will seem on the outside to be non-political when in reality they will be directly linked to the economic implosion we will be experiencing.

If Obama is re-elected, I don't see much protesting action occurring. The potential for race riots will still be there though.

Yes, I am beginning to agree with Lief, Beet and SamSpade on this.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #39 on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:47 AM »

We'll have to wait until 2013 to see massive protests. What happened in Wisconsin, Ohio and Michigan was a nice prelude, imagine that on a larger scale against the federal government except instead of angry public workers leading the way, it will probably be younger university students and somewhat less partisan. Riots will probably happen along the way at some point but will seem on the outside to be non-political when in reality they will be directly linked to the economic implosion we will be experiencing.

If it was tried by public workers, the rest of the public would rise up and lynch all of them.  Okay. that is hyperbole, but they'd support firing them all.

Public workers are not popular.  (I say this as a former public worker.)

I really cannot believe how totally out of touch the people on this board are with the American people.

Yes, I am beginning to agree with Lief, Beet and SamSpade on this.
[/quote]
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2011, 01:03:23 AM »

If it was tried by public workers, the rest of the public would rise up and lynch all of them.  Okay. that is hyperbole, but they'd support firing them all.

I really cannot believe how totally out of touch the people on this board are with the American people.

I'm talking about peaceful protests, not riots...
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2011, 01:22:45 AM »

That wouldn't make any difference.  I know people that now work for the City of Philadelphia who won't admit to it, simply because they don't want the comments.  I was a state worker in the 1990's, and as soon as I said, "I'm a welfare caseworker," all I'd get was comments about why I didn't through more people off the lists.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2011, 01:38:37 AM »

That wouldn't make any difference.  I know people that now work for the City of Philadelphia who won't admit to it, simply because they don't want the comments.  I was a state worker in the 1990's, and as soon as I said, "I'm a welfare caseworker," all I'd get was comments about why I didn't through more people off the lists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XlUsoM4ruQ
Were you in a coma when this was happening?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2011, 01:45:13 AM »

Arguing with J. J. is like deciding you don't like the color of your house so you scream at your house to change its color instead of getting it painted. It also has about an equal chance of resulting in anything productive.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2011, 07:41:57 AM »

J.J. is wrong again! Are public employees incredibly unpopular? The answer, as polling shows us, is a clear no!

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's just one poll though, he surely says. Let's check another. This poll is just a poll of California, but that's a pretty big state!

Here's a Pew poll that asked specifically about public employee unions. Let's see what they have to say!

This CBS News poll doesn't specifically ask the question, but it does ask a bunch of questions about public employees, and in all of them the respondents seem favorable, even going so far as to support raising taxes instead of cutting benefits/salary for public employees! If that's not proof that the public absolutely hates government workers, I don't know what is!

Even this conservative think tank, WPRI, found in its poll that teachers and public employees are very popular:

Well, that's enough yelling at my house for it to change color for today!
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2011, 08:14:10 AM »

Well, that's enough yelling at my house for it to change color for today!

Have you tried calm dialogue instead of yelling?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2011, 09:26:16 AM »

And, even the recalls don't seem to be working too well.  We government workers are not popular.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:24 AM »

J.J. is wrong again! Are public employees incredibly unpopular? The answer, as polling shows us, is a clear no!

Lief, there is a world of difference between worker having a right to unionize and being popular.

You get some segments being popular, police, fire, the military, and to some extent teachers.  The guys at the Social Security Office, DMV, Welfare Office are not.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2011, 10:20:48 AM »

specific_name
generic_name
United States

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2011, 11:17:58 AM »

Jumping in at the fourth page without reading the entire thread....

Whenever austerity to comes to America and a large segment of the population moves from being disenchanted to openly hostile because they aren't getting a job, a place to live or a steady supply of essentials (food, water, basic consumables).

If an army marches on its stomach, that's doubly true for a population. People won't riot over their 401Ks, they'll riot went the rule law is widely disrespected from the top to the bottom of a society (it already is in many ways), add to this the magic ingredient of hunger and then we get civil unrest.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies