El Paso vs. Ciudad Juárez
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 04:03:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  El Paso vs. Ciudad Juárez
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: El Paso vs. Ciudad Juárez  (Read 4407 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 14, 2011, 12:55:21 AM »

2 statistics:

2010 population in El Paso, TX: 649.000
2010 homicides in El Paso, TX: 5
2010 homicide rate in El Paso, TX: 0.8 per 100.000 people

2010 population in Ciudad Juárez, MX: 1.321.000
2010 homicides in Ciudad Juárez, MX: 3.100
2010 homicide rate in Ciudad Juárez, MX: 234.7 per 100.000 people

Discuss.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 01:02:12 AM »

Well, Ciudad Juárez is in the middle of a war between druglords and government.
I'm sure than that homicide rate is normal for a place experiencing a civil war.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 01:10:56 AM »

I'm sure than that homicide rate is normal for a place experiencing a civil war.

But isn't it strange that there's no "spillover" from Ciudad Juárez to El Paso ?

El Paso has a homicide rate that is about the European average or even lower and almost 10 times lower than the average rate in a US city with comparable size ...

Does anyone who knows the area can tell us if there are tough border controls between the cities incl. walls and fences with video surveillance ?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 02:12:29 AM »

Note that El Paso's size is mainly a result of its large geographic area. The actual metropolitan area is not that large.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 03:54:11 AM »

NYT Magazine did a story on exactly this subject within the last few weeks. Check it out.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 04:07:49 AM »

Pasoans (or whatever is the English now that Pachucos means something else) do their killing and getting killed south of the border. Though they procure the guns north of it.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 08:55:46 AM »

Pasoans (or whatever is the English now that Pachucos means something else) do their killing and getting killed south of the border. Though they procure the guns north of it.

Makes sense. All I know is that I should never, ever attempt to pronounce 'Ciudad Juárez'.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 09:27:35 AM »

Makes sense. All I know is that I should never, ever attempt to pronounce 'Ciudad Juárez'.

.. Especially if you decided to try in Peninsular Spanish.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2011, 04:58:38 PM »

But isn't it strange that there's no "spillover" from Ciudad Juárez to El Paso ?

Druglords aren't crazy, they know than if things went crazy in El Paso, the Americans would start to care, which would make more difficult to buy weapons.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »

Wow. Didn't know el paso's murder rate was so crazy low. That's amazing. But yeah, like others said, more of a neighborhood thing. You could cut a lot of metros up and get contrasting murder rates. Of course, most metros aren't ground zero for the drug war either.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2011, 07:06:49 PM »

Is there that much of a difference?

If I learned Spanish from a Spaniard would I sound as weird to a Mexican as British people do to me?

Well, the "z" letter is pronounced differently, among other differences.
If I remember well, the Peninsular Spanish pronounces the z "th" and the Latin America Spanish pronounces "s", roughly.
TheDeadFlagBlues
Junior Chimp
Canada
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 07:09:35 PM »

Is there that much of a difference?

If I learned Spanish from a Spaniard would I sound as weird to a Mexican as British people do to me?

Yes, absolutely.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2011, 07:23:59 PM »

Ciudad
See You Dad

Juárez
wha-rez

No good. I'd still sound like a mocking racist.
danny
Israel

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2011, 07:35:02 PM »

Ciudad
See You Dad

Juárez
wha-rez

wouldn't the J' be like the ch in the Scottish word "loch"?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2011, 07:48:50 PM »

Ciudad
See You Dad

Juárez
wha-rez

No, it is like a "W."  Juan sounds close to "one," but more like "wand" without the "d."  There was a joke a former pope being called "Juan, two three," in Spanish.  (John XXIII)
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2011, 08:06:54 PM »
« Edited: August 14, 2011, 08:09:07 PM by Edu »

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding spanish from Spain most of the times, plus it sounds ridiculous to me Tongue
I sometimes don't understand Mexican Spanish either especially if they talk too fast.
Hell, it's even weird for me to hear the Chilean Accent which I also find a bit ridiculous.

Uruguay is obviously closer to Argentina in the way they speak, but even they abuse the "Tu" instead of "Vos".

Oh, who am I kidding? I'm even annoyed by the bunch of different accents we have in my own friggin country. I'm just confortable with "Porteńo" spanish Tongue

No, it is like a "W."  Juan sounds close to "one," but more like "wand" without the "d."  There was a joke a former pope being called "Juan, two three," in Spanish.  (John XXIII)

Don't know about Mexico, but I never heard anyone pronounce Juan as "wand" without the d.
Link
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2011, 01:05:59 AM »

Yeah, I have a hard time understanding spanish from Spain most of the times, plus it sounds ridiculous to me Tongue

That is fascinating.  So if I learned Spain Spanish would I sound like a pompous jerk to people from Latin America?  That might make it worthwhile.

I find a lot of people in my native US hard to understand, but that's mostly because they are not very well educated.
Edu
Ufokart
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2011, 01:26:36 AM »

That is fascinating.  So if I learned Spain Spanish would I sound like a pompous jerk to people from Latin America?  That might make it worthwhile.

I find a lot of people in my native US hard to understand, but that's mostly because they are not very well educated.

Nope, you would just sound like a Spaniard. or in your case an american trying to talk like a spaniard Tongue

There are different accents between spanish speaking countries, nowadays it has little to do with education.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 02:47:52 AM »

A Spaniard would get strange looks if he pronounced it Thiudad Khwareth in Mexico.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 03:08:46 AM »

Ciudad
See You Dad

Juárez
wha-rez

It's exactly like Danny said but Americans have learned a long time ago that you can get in Mexico by pronouncing it exactly like JJ said.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2011, 05:07:35 AM »

A Spaniard would get strange looks if he pronounced it Thiudad Khwareth in Mexico.

Yeah, I know. I just felt like pointing that out. Furthermore in Madrid and Castilla y Leon it is common to lisp the final 'd' in -idad words so that it sounds like 'z' or the 'c' before 'e' and 'i'. So it would be "THEE-ew-dath Khwar-reth".
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies