California - Senate
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:58:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  California - Senate
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: California - Senate  (Read 19913 times)
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: March 25, 2004, 01:26:52 AM »

The issue has kinda been desided, but it is true that California COULD be split-up wit congressional approval.  However, Texas can split any time it damn well pleases, because that was part of the aggreement it made when it joined the union.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #26 on: March 25, 2004, 01:28:52 AM »

Dispite what the Constitution might say, states can split up.

Maine from Mass.
Vermont from New York
Kentucky and West Virginia from Virginia
Tennessee from North Carolina
Alabama from Georgia
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2004, 02:45:03 AM »

It's funny...I always remembered Texas could split into four states, not five...
Is there an established procedure how Texas would go about splitting itself up? Seeing Texas go would sure be nice Smiley
CTguy

« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2004, 02:48:57 AM »

By the way, this is allowed...  California is a unique case... it can split up into several states if it desires to unlike other states.  

CTGuy,

Come on, find "a pair" and admit you were wrong...

NO, never.  I was not wrong, it can split up with congressional approval, I admitted I was wrong about it being limited to California already.  If you weren't too busy gloating you would have noticed that.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2004, 02:59:04 AM »

The point is, it can't just "split up if it so desires" (look at your own quote). It's no big deal, you probably confused Texas with California. I mean, the West Texas desert and the Sonora desert in California probably look pretty much alike, and they are both big states, so there's nothing to be ashamed of, right?
CTguy

« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2004, 03:00:21 AM »

I already admitted that...  This coming from MarkDel who is pretending to be a Princeton grad and cant admit when he's wrong even when it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is...
MarkDel

« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2004, 12:24:38 PM »

It's funny...I always remembered Texas could split into four states, not five...
Is there an established procedure how Texas would go about splitting itself up? Seeing Texas go would sure be nice Smiley

Lewis,

If Texas split into five states, you would end up with at least 3 Republican states and perhaps as many as 4 Republican states. This would increase the Republican advantage in the Senate, so I agree with you, let's split up Texas...LOL
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2004, 04:03:34 PM »

The point is, it can't just "split up if it so desires" (look at your own quote). It's no big deal, you probably confused Texas with California. I mean, the West Texas desert and the Sonora desert in California probably look pretty much alike, and they are both big states, so there's nothing to be ashamed of, right?

Not ashamed, you IDIOT, it's shamed. Cheesy
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2004, 04:13:59 PM »

Not ashamed, you IDIOT, it's shamed. Cheesy

LOL
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: March 25, 2004, 04:14:22 PM »

I already admitted that...  This coming from MarkDel who is pretending to be a Princeton grad and cant admit when he's wrong even when it is proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that he is...

the thing is though, you are the only one who doubts MarkDel, many people doubt YOU!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2004, 09:02:24 PM »

I've been advocating something like this for a long time - CA is about 40% very conservative GOP, but they basically have no voice as a permanent minority.  
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2004, 01:41:41 PM »

I've been advocating something like this for a long time - CA is about 40% very conservative GOP, but they basically have no voice as a permanent minority.  

Don't try and sound like this has anything to do with pronciples. Smiley What if it was the other way around? Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2004, 07:54:01 PM »

Well then the GOP would resist it Smiley

Don't try and sound like this has anything to do with pronciples. Smiley What if it was the other way around? Wink
Emsworth
Lord Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2004, 08:14:38 PM »

Texas Annexation Resolution, 1845:

"New states, of convenient size, not exceeding four in number, in addition to said state of Texas, and having sufficient population, may hereafter, by the consent of said state, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the federal constitution. And such states as may be formed out of that portion of said territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri compromise line, shall be admitted into the Union with or without slavery, as the people of each state asking admission may desire. And in such state or states as shall be formed out of said territory north of said Missouri compromise line, slavery, or involuntary servitude, (except for crime,) shall be prohibited."
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies