How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:31:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history]  (Read 11343 times)
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« on: August 14, 2011, 07:04:21 PM »

It's only a quiz, you know. No need to get outraged about everything.

I'm not outraged.

People do need to know a lot more about other systems than their own, but some of the questions were a little to specific and low yield.

That is the purpose of that quiz. It includes much more knowledge than needed. You know, knowledge for knowledge. Like the quiz leagues in UK or the "Génies en Herbe" for adults in Quebec. Well, true than there is nothing of that kind in US (except Jeopardy, which isn't even hosted by an American) and than knowledge is seen as bad in the US.

That is a cultural difference.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:57 AM »

It's only a quiz, you know. No need to get outraged about everything.

I'm not outraged.

People do need to know a lot more about other systems than their own, but some of the questions were a little to specific and low yield.

That is the purpose of that quiz. It includes much more knowledge than needed. You know, knowledge for knowledge. Like the quiz leagues in UK or the "Génies en Herbe" for adults in Quebec. Well, true than there is nothing of that kind in US (except Jeopardy, which isn't even hosted by an American) and than knowledge is seen as bad in the US.

That is a cultural difference.

Sorry.  I looked at it from the point of view as an outsider.  I thought it was educating outsiders about UK political history.  I did not realize that it was for domestic UK consumption.  Criticism withdrawn.

Well, it is for foreign consumption, too. Some of us (us being the "nerds" haunting this particular sub-forum) have an excessive and borderline excessive interest in foreign elections. Often, we know more about politics of a country than many residents of the said country. Look, I'm Canadian and I'm very interested in local by-election in UK.

Is that sane and normal? Probably not, I'll admit, but that shouldn't be depreciated. And I think I know the answer to the question 7, afleitch loves to talk about the past of the Glorious Scotland.

And Xahar means than the answer ISN'T Prime Minister! That office doesn't even legally exist. The office giving access to 10 Downing St isn't well-known and is mostly honorific, if I remember well (and is always given to the Prime Minister since centuries).
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 01:52:45 AM »

1. David Cameron, Conservative.

2. The House of Commons and the House of Lords.

3. Ed Milibrand, Labour.

4. Conservative and Liberal Conservative Democrat

5. Green (Caroline Lucas in Brighton Pavillon), Plaid Cymru, SNP, and four of the five Northern Ireland parties (DUP, SDLP, SF, Alliance). UUP, Respect and Independant Health Concern Party doesn't anymore.

6. Gordon Brown, Labour.

7. The Unionist Party.

8. The First Lord of the Treasury?

9. I don't know. Heath?

10. Labour, Attlee?

11. Something bad, I suppose.

12. Don't know. 1927, under Asquirth?

13. I don't know. I hope they kept their clothes.

14. Churchill! There is only one picture without his pipe and it was took by a Canadian, I think.

15. Donald Dewar? He died in 2001, I think.

16. Alex Salmon.

17. Thomas? (Good guess for a Welshman, anyways, they are all called Thomas or Jones).

18. Martin McGuinness, SF (Peter Robinson, DUP, Belfast East, is the First Minister).

19. September 11st, 2001?

20. Good question.

21. Liberal Party, Liberal Unionist (spin-off), National Liberal (another spin-off), SDP-Liberal Alliance, Social Democratic Party (merged with them), Liberal Democrats, Liberal Party (spin-off). I probably forgot some between the two wars.

22. Ed Milibrand, leader. David Milibrand, backbencher for the moment. Andy Burnham, Diane Abbott and Ed Balls.

23. Introducing Section 21?

24. The seat in front of the Commons. For a name, no idea.

25. The West Wing?

26. Bonar-Law? Wasn't Welsh is first language?

27. Barking (if he won, that would have been Barfing). No idea who won, probably the Labour incumbent.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:11:28 AM »

Haha, yes. Labour joined the government in 1915 and even got its first cabinet minister then (Arthur Henderson).

I don't think this is the best example if you want to mock me. I've checked out, and almost everybody (Xahar comprised) made the same mistake. Most of them didn't even get the year of McDonald's cabinet right.

When they had the good PM. I said HH Asquirth, if I remember well. Well, that part of UK history is very blurry to me.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 02:43:23 AM »

Can I get a point for effort? I'm not British, I don't know so much UK.
1. Conservative?

2. MacDonald?

3. Witney, Sheffield Hallam and Basingstoke? (big doubt on the last one).

4. An old guy whose name is very unknown to me.

5. I know, because of Al in the by-election thread. Huyton. He is the only MP who represented it, as he ran in it when it was created and was abolished in the redistricting just before he retired,

6. Having decided to opt for an elected mayor then abolishing it?

7. Cyril Smith was a Liberal politician in the 70's and 80's. He was obese and died recently (last year?). He had a scandal run by a tabloid involving young guys and a paddle, if I remember well.
Dai Grenfell is Welsh I suppose, with such a first name. Labour, logically, then.
Doesn't Crosland had an important office in some Labour Cabinet?

8. They were born in Northern Ireland, but did their political career in England?

9. Somewhere in Scotland? I don't know. Or even Wales?

10. Why not Manchester?

11. I obviously don't know any television playwright.

12. Labour? I assume than if he was Liberal or Conservative, they would have found him a safe constituency.

13. Sutton Coldfield? It is the right area, at least.

14. Cathedral Cities are cities which don't have the city status but have a Cathedral. I remember only Rochester, I'll try that.

15 to 18.

19. Churchill? I remember he was pretty bad outside wartime.

20-21. I don't know.

22. Knowing Al, it must be about Wales (dubious, it would have a Welsh name) or miners. I'll try miners, so, gay-lay, with a very thick accent?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies