How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history] (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:35:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history] (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How much do you know about United Kingdom politics [and history]  (Read 11330 times)
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« on: August 15, 2011, 07:45:27 AM »

It's only a quiz, you know. No need to get outraged about everything.

I'm not outraged.

People do need to know a lot more about other systems than their own, but some of the questions were a little to specific and low yield.

That is the purpose of that quiz. It includes much more knowledge than needed. You know, knowledge for knowledge. Like the quiz leagues in UK or the "Génies en Herbe" for adults in Quebec. Well, true than there is nothing of that kind in US (except Jeopardy, which isn't even hosted by an American) and than knowledge is seen as bad in the US.

That is a cultural difference.

Sorry.  I looked at it from the point of view as an outsider.  I thought it was educating outsiders about UK political history.  I did not realize that it was for domestic UK consumption.  Criticism withdrawn.

Well, it is for foreign consumption, too. Some of us (us being the "nerds" haunting this particular sub-forum) have an excessive and borderline excessive interest in foreign elections. Often, we know more about politics of a country than many residents of the said country. Look, I'm Canadian and I'm very interested in local by-election in UK.

Is that sane and normal? Probably not, I'll admit, but that shouldn't be depreciated. And I think I know the answer to the question 7, afleitch loves to talk about the past of the Glorious Scotland.

And Xahar means than the answer ISN'T Prime Minister! That office doesn't even legally exist. The office giving access to 10 Downing St isn't well-known and is mostly honorific, if I remember well (and is always given to the Prime Minister since centuries).

Reminds me of some of the meta-discussions I get in my quiz leagues (usually the boring bloke loudly bemoaning that there are too many questions on a subject he isn't interested in).

I feel that knowledge for knowledge's sake is a good thing.  Most questions in UK quiz leagues on foreign politics are of the level of 'who is the Prime Minister of Canada?'  That's nothing more than a name - what about all the other useful facts?  What's his party?  What does he stand for?  What should he be famous/notorious for?  Is he the spawn of the devil or the best thing since sliced bread?  But still, that's the level and anything more in-depth than that is impossibly hard for the average UK pub quiz audience.  That doesn't mean it's too hard for the Mastermind-contender, quizbowl or other general nerd audience - and if we don't fall into one of these categories what are we doing on this forum?

Oh, and BBC Mastermind isn't even hosted by an Englishman.
Chancellor of the Duchy of Little Lever and Darcy Lever
andrewteale
Romania

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 01:36:20 PM »

You've reminded me, I had these questions asked to me a few weeks back in the final of a local quiz league competition.  The subject was 'The British General Election of 2010'.

I got 18.

1. Caroline Lucas won the seat of Brighton Pavilion for which party in the 2010 General Election?
2. How many Sinn Fein MPs were elected in the 2010 General Election, although they have yet to take their seats?
3. Who did Gordon Brown refer to as a 'sort of bigoted woman' when caught unawares on air during the 2010 Election campaign?
4. In which city was the second televised debate between the Party leaders in April 2010?
5. Who was the only Independent candidate elected in 2010, winning Down North by more than 14,000 votes?
6. How many MPs formed the new Parliament?
7. In which constituency was Speaker John Bercow elected unopposed by any of the major Parties, as tradition dictates?
8. What was the title of the Conservative Party's 2010 election Manifesto?
9. Which Party Leader escaped serious injury in a 'plane crash on the day of the Election?
10. To within +/-15[%] what was the UK turnout in the 2010 General Election?
11. Which Labour Cabinet Minister held onto his Morley and Outwood Constituency with a much reduced majority?
12. Why was the election in the Thirsk and Malton Constituency postponed until May 27th?
13. Who was the outgoing Labour Chief Secretary to the Treasury who left a note for his successor saying "I am afraid there is no money.  Kind regards and good luck"?
14. Which Major Party's Election Manifesto was entitled "Change that works for you (Building a Fairer Britain)"?
15. How many seats did Labour lose in the 2010 Election?
16. Which multi-millionaire Tory candidate took the Richmond Park seat from the Liberal Democrats?
17. Nick Clegg, Chris Huhne, Danny Alexander, David Laws and which other Liberal Democrat were in the first Coalition Government?
18. Which North East Constituency won the race to make the first declaration in the 2010 General Election?
19. Which 80 year old Labour Conservative MP became the 'Father' of the new House?
20. Which seat did former Labour Home Secretary Jacqui Smith lose in the election?

Answers:

1. Green Party
2. Five
3. Gillian Duffy
4. Bristol
5. Lady Sylvia Hermon
6. 650
7. Buckingham
8. An Invitation to Join the Government of Britain
9. Nigel Farage
10. 65%
11. Ed Balls