SENATE BILL: Empowering Regions in Elections Amendment (Failed) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Empowering Regions in Elections Amendment (Failed) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Empowering Regions in Elections Amendment (Failed)  (Read 6884 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« on: August 15, 2011, 11:30:30 PM »

The regions should be responsible for counting the presidential votes there and have them cast in the same booth if we wanted to move ahead with this.
Why must they be linked?
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 01:56:13 AM »

Honestly, I don't see a safeguard - it's all platitudes

If this were to go ahead - a very strict set of standards need to be listed and met.
While I very much support the concept behind this amendment, I agree that this clause is  vague regarding the standard by which an election is considered democratic.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:26 PM »

Are we talking about setting up an electoral college here? Because otherwise I don't see how the regions could administer the Presidential election.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 02:06:24 PM »
« Edited: August 18, 2011, 02:08:27 PM by senator shua »

Then there is no need to separate the Senate elections from the Presidential. Either we operate with one ballot for all races, or a separate one for federal and regional governments. I don't see how my amendment had anything to do with an electoral college, all it does is consolidate ballots, which is a good thing. The election would remain the same other than who opens the booth.
I mentioned an electoral college only because would need to decide how to tally the regional results.  Due to IRV, the results of a vote counted separately in each region would not be the same as the result if it were counted nationally.  So you could have votes counted in each region, and then the total number of each region's winner post-IRV calculation be added, with a national FPTP between up to five candidates. Or you could have an IRV last involves only those candidates that weren't eliminated in each region - which would mean a candidate could be counted at the national tally with votes from one region but not from another, even if the candidate had received votes in both regions before the regional IRV calculations.

Aye on the current amendment.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 05:27:19 PM »

Nay
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:23:29 PM »

Snowguy, I thought clause 3 would have disallowed indirect elections under this amendment.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies