Puerto Rico
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 06:05:45 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Puerto Rico
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Puerto Rico  (Read 14768 times)
CTguy

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 24, 2004, 11:14:39 PM »

This would benefit democrats, clearly.
dunn

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2004, 12:59:40 AM »

Free Puerto Rico
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2004, 01:11:03 AM »

I think Puerto Rico should become a state, because they're taking our money. Start paying taxes bi*chzes!!
Kghadial
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2004, 01:16:36 AM »

I know what you mean. They better become a state, they've freeloading for two generations too many. Either free them or tax them ....

Puerto Rico wouldn't benefit democrats that much.  Practically every Republican thinks Bush has made serious inroads into the Hispanic population. They should have nothing to fear Wink

And we should combine the Dakotas while we are at it so we can still have 50 states Smiley
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2004, 01:48:00 AM »

At a state level it would probably be very republican, actually, because it is very religious, although federally it probably would be Democrat.

I would like it to become a state, but it is up to the people of PR. They recentlyu had a vote to stay as the status quo, so, thats the way it will be.

Either way, I doubt that any Republican president, house or senate is going to put it forward.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2004, 02:40:26 AM »

In Puerto Rican politics, the Popular Democrats oppose statehood while the New Progressives (formerly Statehood Republicans) want it. Both parties are loosely affiliated with the US Democrats these days...
CTguy

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2004, 02:47:27 AM »

The democrats would clean sweep... even though Bush is making inroads with Mexicans (while losing Cubans)... Puerto Ricans remain the most loyal hispanic constituent to the democratic party...  Gore won over 80% of the Puerto Rican vote in the NY metro area.

I'm too tired to give a real response to this but I will tomorrow.

And yes they should pay their ing taxes.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2004, 12:37:06 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2004, 12:37:54 PM by Brambila »

New York is very liberal, so every ethnicity in NYC is going to vote left. Although I know Puerto Ricans are weird, (very different from any other hispanic culture), they probably will swing both ways.

I seriously like the idea of taking over Mexico. "The United States of America and Mexico". We should wait till they integrate a little more though.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2004, 12:41:17 PM »

Just because Puerto Ricans in New York vote heavily Democratic that doesn't mean Puerto Rico as a state will go democrat. Most of the Puerto Ricans in NYC have lived there a generation and aren't "fresh off the boat". That would be like saying if we made Liberia a state it would go all Democrat because black people in the U.S. go for the Democrats mostly.
dunn

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2004, 12:49:14 PM »

I seriously like the idea of taking over Mexico. "The United States of America and Mexico". We should wait till they integrate a little more though.

Mexico name is Estadas Unidas De Mexido (united states of Mexico) and historiclly maybe they should take the south-west USA
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2004, 01:56:28 PM »

I know. Sure, historically southwest USA is part of Mexico, but we took over that... why not finish it? btw I am mexican and lived in mexico.
dunn

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2004, 02:05:52 PM »

I know. Sure, historically southwest USA is part of Mexico, but we took over that... why not finish it? btw I am mexican and lived in mexico.

A la vivo
A la vavo
A la vi vo va
Mexico Mexico ra ra ra!!
CTguy

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2004, 02:47:46 PM »

BS.  I believe PR has a democratic "governor."  It will go dem because it is poor and the people are extremely liberal on issues like abortion and gun control.  
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2004, 02:49:21 PM »

BS.  I believe PR has a democratic "governor."  It will go dem because it is poor and the people are extremely liberal on issues like abortion and gun control.  

it WILL go democrat? it isn't a state yet ya know Wink
CTguy

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2004, 02:53:41 PM »

We should re-open the Puerto Rico statehood debate that was so big in the 90's.  The economy is even worse in PR now...  it is high time it became a state and they paid their fair share of taxes and got voting rights in Congress.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2004, 03:30:16 PM »

Stop starting polls
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2004, 03:48:13 PM »

I support PR statehood as I believe that it would actually be quite competitive politically, unlike DC.  The PNP would eventually fold into the GOP and the PPD with the Democrats and you'd probably see either a 50-50 split or perhaps a slight Democratic advantage.  I could see the language barrier becoming a huge issue though.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2004, 03:54:39 PM »

I support PR statehood as I believe that it would actually be quite competitive politically, unlike DC.  The PNP would eventually fold into the GOP and the PPD with the Democrats and you'd probably see either a 50-50 split or perhaps a slight Democratic advantage.  I could see the language barrier becoming a huge issue though.

You support it BECAUSE it would be competitive? You Americans really are cynical when it comes to politics...
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2004, 09:03:11 PM »

No way!  Surely the GOP would block such a travesty.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2004, 09:35:37 PM »

We have to be... otherwise we'd end up with the political diversity of Sweden Smiley

You support it BECAUSE it would be competitive? You Americans really are cynical when it comes to politics...
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2004, 09:39:04 PM »

We should re-open the Puerto Rico statehood debate that was so big in the 90's.  The economy is even worse in PR now...  it is high time it became a state and they paid their fair share of taxes and got voting rights in Congress.

I agree with you here.  I have no problem with Puerto Rican statehood politically, because once they start having to pay taxes, chances are they will become more Republican.  Smiley

If they refuse, then let them survive on their own.
zachman

« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2004, 09:48:42 PM »

They aren't going to become a state anytime soon. They are useful to us as a tourist destination without customs. Those are a pain throughout the rest of the Carribean.
ncjake
Rookie

« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2004, 09:55:04 PM »
« Edited: March 25, 2004, 09:55:27 PM by ncjake »

No, it doesn't have a Democratic governor because there aren't Democrats and Republicans there. And the people there are not extremely liberal on issues like gun control and abortion. Have you ever been there? I practically lived there for a time when my uncle was stationed on the island. They are about as socially liberal as Idaho.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2004, 10:07:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Abortion? Puerto Rico is definately liberal on a lot of issues, but I doubt that's one of them.
CTguy

« Reply #24 on: March 25, 2004, 10:37:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Abortion? Puerto Rico is definately liberal on a lot of issues, but I doubt that's one of them.

If it's not liberal on abortion, how come women used to flock to Puerto Rico to get abortions done?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies