Can the GOP ever win the women vote? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:54:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Can the GOP ever win the women vote? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: In the next 50 years or so
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Can the GOP ever win the women vote?  (Read 7890 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: August 24, 2011, 05:48:38 PM »
« edited: August 24, 2011, 05:50:39 PM by Grover Cleveland was a DINO »

White males and white females voted Obama in Rhode Island, Vermont and Massachusetts.

They did, but here was the breakdown.  White males (WM) in Rhode Island tied 48-48.  White females (WF) went 66-33 Obama, a 33 point gender difference.  

Vermont WM was 63-33 Obama, WF was 71-28 Obama, an 13 point difference.  Bigger than the national average, but not that big for New England.

Mass WM was 53-46 Obama and WF was 65-33, a 25 point difference.

The national average was about a point 9 gender difference.  Without New England, it would probably be 3-4 points.  Why is there such a big separation in the sexes in New England?  I am genuinely curious.  I made a map charting gender differences, but I don't yet have enough posts to display it.

My guess would be the men are more likely to vote based on "fiscal responsibility" and "small government" in New England, while the women are more likely to emphasize "social justice."

It could also be that more women work and are well-educated in New England, which translates to feelings of independence from the views of men.

All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 11:05:42 AM »

Where is the "gender gap" the smallest, regionally?
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 03:56:47 PM »
« Edited: August 25, 2011, 03:59:53 PM by Grover Cleveland was a DINO »

I think the reason for a bigger "gender gap" in New England is because the two parties aren't as polarized in New England.

I mean, in the South or West, for example, the parties are more polarized. So you are less likely to have people from the same household splitting tickets.

Also, women probably don't marry as early in New England as say, the South (in other words, they remain single longer, which translates to more single female voters). Thus, they aren't really influenced by a conservative husband/partner.

Of course, that's just me speculating, I really don't know for sure...
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:44:16 PM »

Women are victims of discrimination, so really, the GOP is not going to get the majority of their votes.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 06:30:38 PM »

Women are victims of discrimination, so really, the GOP is not going to get the majority of their votes.

Women have voted for the GOP in landslides. If a GOP landslide happens in our lifetimes, count the women vote in with the male vote.

Women have, yes-in landslides. But notice the socioeconomic characters tics of people (including women) who vote Republican (in general).
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies