1996: Bill Clinton vs. George W. Bush
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 01:48:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History
  Alternative History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  1996: Bill Clinton vs. George W. Bush
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 1996: Bill Clinton vs. George W. Bush  (Read 6213 times)
LBJ Revivalist
ModerateDemocrat1990

Political Matrix
E: -5.87, S: -2.87

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2011, 09:25:29 PM »

Say if instead of Bob Dole, George W. Bush ran against President Clinton in 1996...Any differences in history?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:41:44 PM »

You do know we have an "election what-ifs" section, right?
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:04:04 AM »

The question in my mind is who he chooses for Vice-President. Given that in 2000 he chose Dick Cheney, I can see him going after a similar type of Vice-President in this 1996. Maybe Howard Baker? former Senate Majority Leader and former Whitehouse Chief of Staff from Tennessee. James Baker woudl also be a good choice, having worked for Reagan and Bush41. Problem is James Baker is from Texas as well. I don't think Powell accepts. IMO Bush would need either an experienced diplomat or experienced legislator as seen by the possibilities above. Heck, maybe even Dole serves as a possible choice thanks to his 36 years in Congress.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 03:55:57 PM »

Problem is: Bush was Governor for less than two years in November 1996.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 06:11:36 PM »

I know, which, to me, makes his VP pick all the more crucial. Baker would beat out Gor in Tennessee, tie in moderates, give Bush a hell of a lot more experience on the back of the ticket, was pretty much, at least during his time, mr. universally respected.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 03:43:25 AM »

I know, which, to me, makes his VP pick all the more crucial. Baker would beat out Gor in Tennessee, tie in moderates, give Bush a hell of a lot more experience on the back of the ticket, was pretty much, at least during his time, mr. universally respected.

On the other hand, that would be basically a repeat of Dukakis/Bentsen: a lightweight presidential nominee and highly experienced and regarded vice presidential nominee. Hell, more than repeat, since Dukakis had far more experience and gubernatorial achievements under his best, than Bush in 1996).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2011, 01:23:07 PM »

On the other hand, that would be basically a repeat of Dukakis/Bentsen: a lightweight presidential nominee and highly experienced and regarded vice presidential nominee. Hell, more than repeat, since Dukakis had far more experience and gubernatorial achievements under his best, than Bush in 1996).

What's Dubya's alternative?
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2011, 03:36:19 PM »

I see no reason why Dubya wouldn't choose Bob Dole. Yes, Dole was a very boring, establishment-type choice, but he was also good friends with Bush the Elder and could easily alleviate tensions on the part of those who might be turned off by Dubya's lack of experience. Dole could also help win over moderates and maybe even some anti-Clinton liberals.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2011, 07:24:04 PM »

I see no reason why Dubya wouldn't choose Bob Dole. Yes, Dole was a very boring, establishment-type choice, but he was also good friends with Bush the Elder and could easily alleviate tensions on the part of those who might be turned off by Dubya's lack of experience. Dole could also help win over moderates and maybe even some anti-Clinton liberals.

Weren't Bush and Dole rivals? In 1988 they were rivals and Dole had the greatest chance of denying Bush the nomination, and Dole got the 1976 VP nomination over Bush.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2011, 09:30:52 PM »

Weren't Bush and Dole rivals? In 1988 they were rivals and Dole had the greatest chance of denying Bush the nomination, and Dole got the 1976 VP nomination over Bush.
Shortly after the 1992 election, Dole and Bush both spoke at a major Republican event in D.C. They spoke very positively of each other despite their past rivalries, and even brought each other to tears.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 09:36:09 PM »

Shortly after the 1992 election, Dole and Bush both spoke at a major Republican event in D.C. They spoke very positively of each other despite their past rivalries, and even brought each other to tears.

I think I remember reading about that in a Rush Limbaugh book.
I Am Feeblepizza.
ALF
United States

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:37:53 PM »

I think I remember reading about that in a Rush Limbaugh book.
Yeah, that's where I learned of it as well Tongue.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies