Risk Domination IX [Round 4: Jas]
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:13:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Risk Domination IX [Round 4: Jas]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7
Author Topic: Risk Domination IX [Round 4: Jas]  (Read 21280 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 20, 2011, 11:53:04 PM »
« edited: February 15, 2012, 11:42:49 AM by Bacon King, VP »

Game rules:

There are only a few main differences between this version of RISK and the traditional version, which will be detailed below.

The map

N.B.: I've misplaced the image files I used for the previous games, but they were rather unwieldy anyway so I've decided not to replace them.  Instead I'll be using Dave's forum-based map generator.  This has forced a few changes, hopefully not too dramatically.

The biggest difference is clearly the map we'll be using.  Instead of 42 territories in the world, our map is based on the 48 contiguous states of the US.  This difference has forced a few more rules to change; e.g. the number of initial deployments, the number and layout of the regions, etc.

For clarification, no border exists between Utah and New Mexico and between Arizona and Colorado (the 'Four Corners'); there is no border between Massachusetts and Maine; and there is a border between Delaware and New Jersey.

Here is the map showing the layout and bonus value of the regions (which will be explained later):

Starting the game

The states will be distributed randomly, and the method by which the battalions are deployed will be explained in one of the next few posts.

To begin with, all players will be given 25 battalions each to deploy among their states at the start of the game.  All battalions must be deployed, and each state must contain at least 1 battalion (at all times throughout the game).

Taking a turn

As in the traditional game, each player's turn is divided up into three stages, which must be performed in order:

1. Reinforcements

Each player will receive a number of battalions equal to their number of states divided by three, rounded to the closest whole number.  A minimum of three battalions is granted even if that formula would equal less than three.  So, for example, if a player controls 11 states, they'll get 4 reinforcements (11/3 = 3.7).

For easy reference:

10 states or fewer = 3 reinforcements
11-13 states = 4 reinforcements
14-16 states = 5 reinforcements
17-19 states = 6 reinforcements
20-22 states = 7 reinforcements
And so on.

Players will also receive a bonus number of reinforcements if they control any of the regions as shown in the map above at this point of their turn.  The number of reinforcements they'll receive depends on which region(s) they control, and those numbers are given in the table in the map itself.

Players may also trade in any sets of cards at this point too.  Cards will be explained in more depth later.  This is the only stage of your turn in which you may trade in cards.

2. Attack

Since this is a message board based game, I've had to employ a slightly different method to ensure that attack phases are performed efficiently and as quickly as possible.

All you need to do in this stage is post how many battalions you're sending to attack a neighboring state, how many of them you're willing to risk losing before calling a retreat, and how many battalions you want to leave in that state if you conquer it.

On that last part, you'll need to leave a minimum of three battalions there; if you attacked with less than three battalions, then you'll just have to keep however many battalions you used there.  Unless you specify how many battalions you're putting in your conquered state, I'll assume you want the maximum there.  If you say that your attack order is to "do or die", then there will be no retreat and the maximum number of battalions will be left in the conquered state.

You may attack as many states as you want during this stage, or none at all if you wish.  But always remember to leave at least 1 battalion in each of your states at all times.

If you conquer at least one state during this stage, you'll receive one card.  You will not receive any more than one card per turn, unless you destroy an opponent; in which case you receive any cards they were holding as well.

The dice rolls are performed using an online random number generator, found here.  You'll just have to trust me that I'll do it fairly. Smiley

3. Tactical Move

Once you've finished your attack phase, you may perform a tactical move if you wish.  You can move as many battalions as you want from one of your states to one neighboring state (remembering to leave one battalion behind, of course).  You may only perform one tactical move each turn.

Cards

Cards work on exactly the same principle as in the traditional version.  In this version, each card represents one of the 48 states, and a RISK figurine (either an infantryman, cavalry, or cannon).  In addition to the 48 state cards, there are two wildcards.

Once you've collected a 'set' of three cards, you may trade them in at your next turn for more reinforcements.  A set of cards can be: three infantrymen (worth four extra battalions); three cavalry (worth six extra battalions); three cannons (worth eight extra battalions); or one of each (worth ten extra battalions).

On trading in your cards, you'll receive an additional 2 battalions for each card that represents a state that you control.  Those battalions will only be placed in that particular state.

The wildcards do not represent any state, and are simply a stand-in figurine in order to make any set of three cards.

Cards are dealt randomly, and the state represented on each one will not have any deliberate connection with states you conquered during that turn.

Your cards will be sent to you by PM, and it is your responsibility to keep them secret.  I'll be keeping a record of who has what card, for organization's sake.

Clarifications of rules

I've tried to make sure everything is clear here.  However, if you want me to clarify any of the above rules, I'll be happy to do so. Smiley
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 12:11:33 AM »

I'd love play and lose again, sure!
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 03:39:35 AM »

In!
Junkie
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:50:15 AM »

This game is not my strong suit, but I would be interested if there is a spot.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 09:04:31 AM »

I wanna play!
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:22:04 AM »

I'm in.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 05:13:18 PM »

Up for another non-aggression pact? Tongue
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2011, 08:56:44 PM »

Okay, final list of players is as follows: Gustaf, Joe, Vosem, Marokai, Jas, and Junkie.

I've PM'd everybody asking for their color preferences.

A little late, unfortunately, but if you'd like you can be an alternate in case someone has to drop out of the game.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 05:24:40 AM »

I'll do my best to defend my title.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 06:17:37 AM »

First map
(format shamelessly stolen from Joe Republic)

GENERALS

[1]  Joe

[2]  Junkie

[3]  Marokai

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Vosem

[6]  Jas

The next step is for you all to decide how you want your initial 25 battalions to be deployed.  As you can see, I've already taken the liberty of placing 1 in each state for you, which leaves you with 17 to deploy wherever you please.

The order of turns has been decided randomly, and is shown on the map.

Instructions

Please send me a PM with your deployment orders for your first 4 battalions.  I'll then post an updated map, and we'll repeat.

Do not post your deployments here.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »

This feels weird.  Kind of like a cab driver sitting in the back seat while a passenger drives.  Cheesy
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 12:28:59 PM »

I'm not 100%, but I think that between my control of Texas and Montana, I am in the lead in terms of actual land under my control.

That being said, Marokai has by far the best initial deployment. He should be able to take the Pacific and defend it without too much trouble.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 04:28:45 AM »

The map

GENERALS

[1]  Joe

[2]  Junkie

[3]  Marokai

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Vosem

[6]  Jas

Instructions

Please send me a PM with your deployment orders for your next 4 battalions.

Do not post your deployments here.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 02:48:15 PM »

The map

GENERALS

[1]  Joe

[2]  Junkie

[3]  Marokai

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Vosem

[6]  Jas

Instructions

Again, send me your next 4 deployments by PM.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 05:31:22 AM »

The map

GENERALS

[1]  Joe

[2]  Junkie

[3]  Marokai

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Vosem

[6]  Jas

Instructions

Send me your five final deployments via PM.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »

And we're done with placement!

GENERALS

[1]  Joe

[2]  Junkie

[3]  Marokai

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Vosem

[6]  Jas

Joe Republic: it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [8 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions controlled]

= 3 reinforcements
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 09:23:37 PM »

Wait, so how does this game work exactly?  Can I put reinforcements in any state, or does it have to be my own?  Could I attack from, say, Massachusetts to Florida?
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 10:04:53 PM »

Tongue

Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »

Okay, I've glanced through some of the previous games and I think I have a basic understanding of the rules now, so...

All reinforcements to MA.

Attack ME to NH to VT, do or die.
Attack MA to RI to CT, do or die.

Then await further orders. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 01:48:04 PM »

All reinforcements to MA.

Attack ME to NH to VT, do or die.
Attack MA to RI to CT, do or die.

Then await further orders. Smiley

Reinforcements

Of the 3 available reinforcements, 3 has been deployed in Massachusetts, where there are now 13 in total.

Maine invades New Hampshire (Gustaf) with 8 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Joe Republic [8] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [1] [6]
Gustaf [1] rolls 1 die:   [1]
Gustaf loses 1 battalion

Joe Republic conquers New Hampshire and places 8 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Maine.

----------

New Hampshire invades Vermont (Vosem) with 7 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Joe Republic [7] rolls 3 dice:   [2] [5] [5]
Vosem [1] rolls 1 die:   [4]
Vosem loses 1 battalion

Joe Republic conquers Vermont and places 7 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in New Hampshire.

----------

Massachusetts invades Rhode Island (Vosem) with 12 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Joe Republic [12] rolls 3 dice:   [2] [4] [5]
Vosem [1] rolls 1 die:   [4]
Vosem loses 1 battalion

Joe Republic conquers Rhode Island and places 12 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Massachusetts.

----------

Rhode Island invades Connecticut (Gustaf) with 11 battalions available to attack, while 1 battalion will defend.

Joe Republic [11] rolls 3 dice:   [6] [1] [3]
Gustaf [1] rolls 1 die:   [2]
Gustaf loses 1 battalion

Joe Republic conquers Connecticut and places 11 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Rhode Island.

Awaiting further orders.

(Current map)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 01:56:41 PM »

Good.  Okay, now attack CT to NY for as long as I can do so with 3 dice.  If I take it, move everybody there and then tactical move everybody in VT to NY and end turn.

If forced to retreat, attack VT to NY as long as I have 3 dice.  If I take it, move whoever's left in CT to NY and end turn.

If that fails, await further orders.

Thanks. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 01:59:16 PM »

Just so everyone knows, this is a lot more time consuming than it looks. Even using Joe's existing templates there's still a million different things to fill in and keep track of. I had to preview and fix things three different times just now because I kept noticing different mistakes I'd made Tongue Massive props to Joe for putting up with it for so long!

Okay, I've glanced through some of the previous games and I think I have a basic understanding of the rules now, so...

I understand the game may be somewhat confusing for a first-time player such as yourself, but please make sure that you are familiar with the rules I've quoted in the first post of this thread.

(edit- ninja'd by your post there, Joe. doing those moves now)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 02:03:45 PM »

Eeeh, you kind of get into a routine after a while, and I still found it more enjoyable than a chore.  Otherwise I wouldn't have run so many games for so long.

Anyway, you don't have to completely mimic the template if you don't want to.  Do it whichever way you find easiest. Smiley
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 02:14:31 PM »

Good.  Okay, now attack CT to NY for as long as I can do so with 3 dice.  If I take it, move everybody there and then tactical move everybody in VT to NY and end turn.

If forced to retreat, attack VT to NY as long as I have 3 dice.  If I take it, move whoever's left in CT to NY and end turn.

If that fails, await further orders.

Thanks. Smiley

Vermont invades New York (Junkie) with 6 battalions available to attack, while 5 battalions will defend.

Joe Republic [6] rolls 3 dice:   [2] [5] [5]
Junkie [5] rolls 2 dice:   [2] [2]
Junkie loses 2 battalions

Joe Republic [6] rolls 3 dice:   [5] [3] [5]
Junkie [3] rolls 2 dice:   [6] [6]
Joe Republic loses 2 battalions

Joe Republic [4] rolls 3 dice:   [2] [2] [1]
Junkie [3] rolls 2 dice:   [1] [5]
Both armies lose 1 battalion

The attack ceases.

----------

Connecticut invades New York (Junkie) with 10 battalions available to attack, while 2 battalions will defend.

Joe Republic [10] rolls 3 dice:   [3] [6] [3]
Junkie [2] rolls 2 dice:   [6] [3]

Joe Republic [8] rolls 3 dice:   [2] [2] [4]
Junkie [2] rolls 2 dice:   [3] [6]

Joe Republic [6] rolls 3 dice:   [2] [5] [3]
Junkie [2] rolls 2 dice:   [6] [2]
Both armies lose 1 battalion

Joe Republic [5] rolls 3 dice:   [4] [5] [1]
Junkie [1] rolls 1 die:   [3]
Junkie loses 1 battalion

Joe Republic conquers New York and places 5 battalions there, leaving 1 behind in Connecticut.

Tactical Move

A total of 3 battalions have been redeployed from Vermont to New York.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 02:19:47 PM »

Updated map

GENERALS

[1]  Joe

[2]  Junkie

[3]  Marokai

[4]  Gustaf

[5]  Vosem

[6]  Jas

Junkie: it is your turn.  You have 3 reinforcements.

+ [7 states ÷ 3 = 3 reinforcements]
+ [No regions controlled]

= 3 reinforcements
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies