Why the GOP is "perceived" to be out of touch
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:02:49 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Why the GOP is "perceived" to be out of touch
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Why the GOP is "perceived" to be out of touch  (Read 4789 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 22, 2011, 02:15:48 PM »

Largely, the population of the challengers to the president right now are seen as "loons".

In addition, rather than talking about the economy, jobs the national debt and other domestic issues, which are the OBVIOUS matters right now for probably 90% of Americans, we have Bachmann and Perry talking about:

1) Gay Marriage
2) Abortion
3) Ridiculous fiscal goals that are not feasible
4) Other Fringe issues that nobody quite frankly gives a s..t about.

You want to see what's wrong.  This is it.  Currently, I'm in Atlanta, which isn't very conservative, but it's amazing how many times I've heard since being down here that Perry is clearly out of touch with what's important to America. 
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:21:07 PM »

Largely, the population of the challengers to the president right now are seen as "loons".

In addition, rather than talking about the economy, jobs the national debt and other domestic issues, which are the OBVIOUS matters right now for probably 90% of Americans, we have Bachmann and Perry talking about:

1) Gay Marriage
2) Abortion

You want to see what's wrong.  This is it.  Currently, I'm in Atlanta, which isn't very conservative, but it's amazing how many times I've heard since being down here that Perry is clearly out of touch with what's important to America. 
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 02:27:56 PM »

Because "they are."
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 02:30:08 PM »

Liberals talk just about their radical positions gay marriage and abortion as much as Republicans do.  Its just that Democrats are not hounded by the liberal media. 
sg0508
United States

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 02:32:20 PM »

Liberals talk just about their radical positions gay marriage and abortion as much as Republicans do.  Its just that Democrats are not hounded by the liberal media. 
Incorrect.  Not one democrat over the last year has spoken about the "fringe issues" as the economy continues to struggle.  There's the difference.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 02:32:57 PM »

Somebody must give a crap about them or they wouldn't be talking about them.

The problem is what you call for is exclusivity, complete exclusivity of issues which is completely impossible. No party is going to have uniform opinions on everything and I frankly don't see the problem with talking about Abortion or whatever, as long the economy gets enough primary focus. The beauty of this internet age is you can choose what to listen to and what not to. If you don't want to hear a candidate's social issues, then change the station or pick a different youtube clip when they are on those matters.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »

When you think about it, you actually risk making it more out of touch.
sg0508
United States

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 02:34:17 PM »

The problem is what you call for is exclusivity, complete exclusivity of issues which is completely impossible. No party is going to have uniform opinions on everything and I frankly don't see the problem with talking about Abortion or whatever, as long the economy gets enough primary focus. The beauty of this internet age is you can choose what to listen to and what not to. If you don't want to hear a candidate's social issues, then change the station or pick a different youtube clip when they are on those matters. And America will, when they give "by default" an electoral landslide to Obama next year.  
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 02:35:46 PM »

1) Gay Marriage
2) Abortion

What's the point of this empty quoting?
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2011, 02:43:42 PM »

An overreliance on social issues combined with a willingness to push for tax cuts for the super rich.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 02:48:12 PM »

An overreliance on social issues combined with a willingness to push for tax cuts for the super rich.
They're not just willing to give the super rich tax cuts. That's their entire raison d'etre.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 02:50:14 PM »

1) Gay Marriage
2) Abortion

What's the point of this empty quoting?

An expression of agreement. I thought that was done here. Is it not? If so, I apologize.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 02:54:04 PM »

It's frowned upon by certain people. Some of whom just happen to be Moderators, coincidentally. 
Progressive
jro660

« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 03:09:20 PM »

What's radical about legalizing gay marriage? It's not like us liberals are trying to force everyone to attend a gay wedding. And abortion? It's issues that don't concern everyone and only benefit those who choose to use the services.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 03:40:55 PM »
« Edited: August 22, 2011, 03:45:45 PM by Grover Cleveland was a DINO »

They're not just willing to give the super rich tax cuts. That's their entire raison d'etre.

Yeah, the GOP in general doesn't care about "social issues" except for election purposes.

How did "Party of small government and fiscal responsibility" evolve into "TAX CUTS GOOD, SPENDING BAD, also payroll taxes aren't real taxes/"?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2011, 03:49:47 PM »

I don't think social issues really has much to do with it. I think it's more the focus on catering to the upper class and 'corporations' that influences people more on this front. The few who deny obvious scientific stuff don't help matters, though.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2011, 03:56:13 PM »

The GOP is also becoming increasingly defined as anger -reactionary, virulent anger-at liberals, at multiculturalism, at science, at secularism, at anything that upsets the idealized "past."

Thus, you have culture warriors, tax-cut zealots, business aristocrats, and religious fanatics pushing an agenda of "No", which is no agenda at all.

Of course, the Tea Party doesn't help the GOP's efforts to broaden their electorate..which is why the Republicans have a very energetic "base" but almost no power beyond that.
Link
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »

I don't see Obama or Biden bring these issues up... ever.  When the courts turned against the laws the administration did not defend DOMA but it did fight to delay immediate repeal of don't ask don't tell.

Sometimes its actually nice to talk about the FACTS.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2011, 06:42:18 PM »

Incorrect.  Not one democrat over the last year has spoken about the "fringe issues" as the economy continues to struggle.  There's the difference.

Yeah, because repealing DADT was imperative to ensuring economic stability. Roll Eyes
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2011, 06:45:46 PM »

Yeah, because repealing DADT was imperative to ensuring economic stability. Roll Eyes

Did anyone actually care about that?
Link
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »

There are three branches of government here in the United States.  Obama is the head of the EXECUTIVE branch.

The JUDICIAL branch struck down DADT.  Obama tried to delay the judicial branch's decision from taking effect immediately.

Let's try and discuss the FACTS.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2011, 07:25:26 PM »

Getting back to the actual topic, I'm getting sick of hearing certain people whine about social conservatives. Yes, the economy is issue number one, yes the deficit and debt are important. However, if you truly believe that abortion is the killing of a child, then by all means, why wouldn't it be an important issue? If it's killing, and I believe it is, then why should I remain silent about it? Hmmmm?Huh?....
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2011, 07:41:21 PM »

Getting back to the actual topic, I'm getting sick of hearing certain people whine about social conservatives. Yes, the economy is issue number one, yes the deficit and debt are important. However, if you truly believe that abortion is the killing of a child, then by all means, why wouldn't it be an important issue? If it's killing, and I believe it is, then why should I remain silent about it? Hmmmm?Huh?....

That issue doesn't really correlate as much as you'd think with other attitudes, particularly with our generation.
stegosaurus
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 1.83

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 07:45:48 PM »

There are three branches of government here in the United States.  Obama is the head of the EXECUTIVE branch.

The JUDICIAL branch struck down DADT.  Obama tried to delay the judicial branch's decision from taking effect immediately.

Let's try and discuss the FACTS.

Congratulations, you have a rudimentary knowledge of the "separation of powers". I was only illustrating that it's absurd to suggest that those in the Democratic Party haven't touched on social issues during the economic downturn. Equally absurd would be to suggest that to do so would be indicative of some level of incompetence. Even though social issues are not the primary focus, to pretend they simply don't exist is intellectually lazy and reckless.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 07:47:09 PM »

The problem is what you call for is exclusivity, complete exclusivity of issues which is completely impossible. No party is going to have uniform opinions on everything and I frankly don't see the problem with talking about Abortion or whatever, as long the economy gets enough primary focus. The beauty of this internet age is you can choose what to listen to and what not to. If you don't want to hear a candidate's social issues, then change the station or pick a different youtube clip when they are on those matters.

And America will, when they give "by default" an electoral landslide to Obama next year. 
If no one cares about it, why the hell does it matter.

Do you not see the problem with insisting the party cater 100% to you demands and 0% anyone else's should they conflict?

It sounds to me like you want to replace one group of arrogant, self-rightous people with another and it's all okay because your group is of course 100% right and they are completely wrong. Personally, I don't see any difference between what you want to do and what Conservatives have been doing to you guys, except reversing the equation. Purification has the same effect regardless of which direction the ideological pendulum swings. It doesn't work. You can't just drowned conservatives in an ocean somewhere and be done with them. You either have to work with them or place yourself in a different party from them. Thats the fact of political life in a polarized world and you clearly don't want to un-polarize the nation because you oppose a big tent party.

The GOP was out of touch in the 1950's when it was viewed as a party of rich northeastern Protestants. They didn't do very well then either. When Westerners decided to seek more influence, the answer from the NE Establishment was "Purge the nuts" and look what happened. They destroyed themselves within the party and the Democrats denied them consistent victory in elections.

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies