Dem Pollster Pat Caddell: "I have lived this nightmare"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:27:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Dem Pollster Pat Caddell: "I have lived this nightmare"
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Author Topic: Dem Pollster Pat Caddell: "I have lived this nightmare"  (Read 7224 times)
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2011, 08:00:15 PM »

Obama has a strong following of about 40+ percent who WILL vote for hime no matter what.

The Strongly Approve is now 21%

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Incumbency is what they said about Carter and GHWB.  The question asked by two of the three last two termers was, "Are you better off than your were four years ago."

Obamacare had some effects on Medicare.  Obama is below 50% with Hispanics.  Maxine Waters is shooting off her mouth this week.  (Obama, I do feel your pain there.)

I remember when everybody said Reagan was too right wing, even a running joke on All in the Family.  

Welcome to 1979.

J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2011, 08:08:25 PM »

No, but you may overestimating your non-monetary appeal.  Considering your avatar, you might have to ask your ex, Turkey, to take you back.  

Tsk, tsk. That's no way for a MENSA member to debate.

Sometimes I do have to use simple analogies so some people can understand them.

You options are limited.  Time to consider making nice-nice with your ex across the Dardanelles.  That is the cost of not having enough money, you can't life the way you'd want.  You have to, as they say in my neighborhood, "settle."  Individual or national, that is the price you pay.
m4567
Rookie
« Reply #77 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:12 PM »

None of the gop candidates are close to being as likeable/exciting as Reagan, and Obama isn't as bad as Carter. Obama can lose, but this is not 1980.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #78 on: August 20, 2011, 09:30:49 PM »

None of the gop candidates are close to being as likeable/exciting as Reagan, and Obama isn't as bad as Carter. Obama can lose, but this is not 1980.

"Jimmy Carter is a nice guy, but he's inept."  That was actually a line of dialogue from a 1980 SNL sketch.  A lot of people liked Carter, on a personal level, but that didn't stop them from kicking out of office.

(It wasn't until after he was tossed that his more prickly side came out.)
Ⓐnarchy in the ☭☭☭P!
ModernBourbon Democrat

« Reply #79 on: August 20, 2011, 11:52:31 PM »

Look up Bourbon Democrat sometime.

Anyway, were I American, I would probably be a Republican-leaning independent, depending on what the major issues of the time are (I liked the Democrats a bit more pre-2008, when the Republicans were just Democrats with more wars).

Because the bailouts/buyouts resulted in a massive misallocation of resources. The auto industry bailouts weren't as bad as the bank bailouts, but all they have done is allow poor auto companies to prosper while productive and efficient ones are punished (Case in point, Ford came out of the recession okay and didn't require a bailout, but GM and Chrysler did and thus the worse companies are getting the advantages).

I wasn't expecting that much, honestly, but I figured that at least there wouldn't be more wars and no cuts to military spending. I thought Obama might be better than Bush but it looks like I was very, very wrong.

Had the US dealt with the recession by giving out no bailouts, no Fed interventions, no FX interventions, and spending/tax cuts (though those would be optional they would be helpful), it would have lasted maybe half a year to a year longer, been a bit harsher, and followed by robust growth and a real recovery.

As it is now, the US has:

-Severely damaged the value of its currency
-Prevented better companies from acquiring the assets of the bloated banks that were bailed out
-Gone trillions of dollars into debt and lost its AAA rating with S&P

In exchange for:

-A recession that lasted about a year
-A recovery that was entirely fake, sluggish even in appearance, and fueled by easy credit
-Another recession that is literally right around the corner.

It is debatable as to which will happen. One could make a reasonable argument for each. On one hand, certain commodities are rising in price very quickly, which would indicate hyperinflation. On the other, the stock market's current state would indicate deflation or a depression.

No, hyperinflation and stagflation are entirely different. Hyperinflation is Zimbabwe a year ago, Germany in the 20s. Money becoming worthless, collapse of the currency, big problems for the world (if the US dollar loses value, it will really screw up the world economy). Stagflation is the US in the 1970s. Inflation on the rise, yet no growth that is supposed to accompany it.
President von Cat
captain copernicus

« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2011, 03:47:36 PM »

I have thought up another accomplishment for Obama to add to his list:

Helped secure compensation for economic damages and losses after an avaricious oil company polluted the Gulf of Mexico.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies