MA: Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute II (Statute)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:43:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute II (Statute)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: MA: Amendment to the Mideast Abortion Statute II (Statute)  (Read 9765 times)
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2011, 04:47:33 AM »

You're acting like a bunch of Francoists, folks. Any way for the people to repeal this affront to freedom?

It's unconstitutional. Roe v Wade still stands and if the Governor signs it, I will challenge it on that basis.

This may open a big can of worms. If we start scanning each and every bill which has ever been passed in any Atlasian region by applying the criterion whether a certain bill may violate rulings made by a US court before the year 2004, we might find that many bills are actually "uncostitutional" in that sense.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #51 on: September 03, 2011, 08:31:35 AM »

You're acting like a bunch of Francoists, folks. Any way for the people to repeal this affront to freedom?

It's unconstitutional. Roe v Wade still stands and if the Governor signs it, I will challenge it on that basis.

This may open a big can of worms. If we start scanning each and every bill which has ever been passed in any Atlasian region by applying the criterion whether a certain bill may violate rulings made by a US court before the year 2004, we might find that many bills are actually "uncostitutional" in that sense.

It is clear in the Constitution that those rulings are carried through into Atlasia and the wording of our constitution reflects the judicial ruling (right to privacy under due process) that 'legalised' abortion.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #52 on: September 03, 2011, 08:36:39 AM »
« Edited: September 03, 2011, 08:38:51 AM by Assemblyman of the Mideast ZuWo »

It is clear in the Constitution that those rulings are carried through into Atlasia and the wording of our constitution reflects the judicial ruling (right to privacy under due process) that 'legalised' abortion.

I don't necessarily challenge your interpretation of the matter. My point is that if we had a look at Atlasian bills passed in the past, we could find plenty of cases where US rulings could interfere with Atlasian legislation. It's not that I have actually done that, but I imagine that this could be the case. And this is the "can of worms" I was alluding to. Matters could become extremely complex and tedious.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2011, 09:44:17 AM »

I don't necessarily challenge your interpretation of the matter. My point is that if we had a look at Atlasian bills passed in the past, we could find plenty of cases where US rulings could interfere with Atlasian legislation. It's not that I have actually done that, but I imagine that this could be the case. And this is the "can of worms" I was alluding to. Matters could become extremely complex and tedious.

The constitutional basis (right to privacy/due process) for Roe v Wade exists within the existing constitution. Any judicial ruling would probably be very concise as a result. If a regional assembly were to enact a law that violated Brown v the Board of Education it would be so apparent it wouldn't take much legal wrangling to strike it down. The same is true of any bill that contradicts Roe v Wade.

If the bill is passed and signed, then it sits on our books as an example of unconstitutional legislation. Abortion will still be permitted in the Region therefore the bill is nothing more than a 'trigger bill', but it is so strict and so much of an affront to both women and to the scientific secular debate concerning the beginning of 'personhood' that it has no place on the books at all.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #54 on: September 03, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »

If the bill is challenged and overturned, we are going to introduce a bill which will bypass Roe v. Wade. We will follow the path the Kansas State Legislature has shown us with their bill that establishes heavy restrictions for abortion clinics. I am confident that we'll be successful.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #55 on: September 03, 2011, 11:34:44 AM »

If the bill is challenged and overturned, we are going to introduce a bill which will bypass Roe v. Wade. We will follow the path the Kansas State Legislature has shown us with their bill that establishes heavy restrictions for abortion clinics. I am confident that we'll be successful.

Is that the Kansas bill that was blocked by the court in July?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #56 on: September 03, 2011, 11:37:24 AM »

Yes. The bill is currently blocked, but the last word has not been spoken yet.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2011, 11:48:12 AM »

Yes. The bill is currently blocked, but the last word has not been spoken yet.

I'll follow it closely then and may challenge your proposed law on the same basis.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2011, 11:50:47 AM »

So be it. Our new Judge will have something to do then.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2011, 02:17:26 PM »

You bunch of santorums!
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #60 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:48 PM »

Considering that Santorum came out on top when I made the "Presidental Candidate Selector 2012 test", I'll take that as a compliment. Wink
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2011, 10:35:32 AM »

Hopefully we can challenge this freedom-hating bullsh**t now.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:32 AM »

What a cultivated way of putting forward an argument for a vice-presidential candidate like you. Wink
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2011, 05:46:29 PM »

Do you honestly not care at all for all the lives that are and will be terminated?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #64 on: September 05, 2011, 11:32:52 AM »

Do you honestly not care at all for all the lives that are and will be terminated?

Actually, I care far much more about a woman's freedom to choose what the hell she wants to do with her body. She is faaaar more important than a fetus and has more gray matter than a fetus. I also care a lot more about having safe and legal abortions rather than illegal abortions and unsafe dangerous illegal abortions.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #65 on: September 07, 2011, 06:26:06 PM »

Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 4, and the NAYs are 1.  The AYEs have it, and the bill is passed.  The bill is now passed onto the Governor for his signature or veto.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies