2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:39:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 144722 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1175 on: March 07, 2012, 05:52:16 PM »

Not openly, but they might on preferences. I saw speculation that Topp might throw in with Mulcair a few weeks ago, but that makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Topp+Nash+team+against+Mulcair+managers/6266402/story.html
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1176 on: March 07, 2012, 07:10:53 PM »

Not openly, but they might on preferences. I saw speculation that Topp might throw in with Mulcair a few weeks ago, but that makes absolutely no sense.

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Topp+Nash+team+against+Mulcair+managers/6266402/story.html
Topp bowing out and endorsing Mulcair is the most hilariously rediculous idea I've ever heard.  There seems to be quite a bit of (possibly personal) animosity between them.  And it seems like few of Topp's big-name backers could ever stomach voting for him (just picture Libby Davies casting her ballot with Mulcair as her first choice lol)
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #1177 on: March 08, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »

Damn it!  I may just end up having to put him first on my hypothetical ballot.  I really hope he at least makes clear his support for a Palestinian state (or lack thereof) or opposition to Israeli settlements (or lack thereof).  Not to mention the things the Charest government did while he was in it, and his explanation of his flirtations with the Conservatives seem less-than-satisfactory to me.  He also has some explaining to do regarding his Bay-Street donors.  But I can't see anyone else leading the NDP to power, but I really wish it didn't have to be with his approach.  I really wish Topp had more charisma, he'd be great if it weren't for that.  I STILL wish Megan Leslie or Peter Julian were running.  Nash needs to get to Quebec and work really hard campaigning if she wants to hang onto it, by the look of this poll.  She'll have a bit of time, but she'd still have a helluva lot of work to do (I'm surprised they're so unfavorable to her.  Is it that her French sounds too European? lol).

By the way, just out of curiosity...are Andrea Horwath and Adrian Dix likely or expected to make endorsements?  I'm a bit surprised that they haven't yet, seeing as they could be potential kingmakers (or queenmakers, if one or both of them go for Nash).  Dix especially.

Well in regards to the Middle east, its well known why he is more pro0Israel since his seat is very jewish; but i believe he has said he support party policy on the issues... my issue with him was how he treated Libby.
What don't you like about his explanation? i'm pretty sure its what actually happened;
Topp also has Bay street backers who have given larger sums of money then Mulcair who has more but given less (from what i remember) so Mulcair ain't the only one. Unfortunately in the days of post-gov't funding parties have to generate funds. I'm glad to see there are some progressives on bay street! i hope Tongue
Topp, in my opinion was never going to win; No seat (so another year without a leader!) NO elected experience outside of ACTRA and the NDP, and his campaign has been far too aggressive and blatantly anti-mulcair. Is he had one, i think Mulcair would had resigned.... i think Topp has made the blood that bad between the two. I agree i wish Nash had more charisma to her and the french thing i don't get either... a quebecer can maybe jump in, i'm franco-ontarian so my accents probably off too Tongue
Hmmm i thought most leaders haven't endorsed (except Michaels in NFLD)? I know the premiers haven't endorsed anyone... makes sense, who wants to divide.

If you don't want Mulcair as your first spot, don't. I doubt this is going to be a first or even second round win for anyone.

I think Libby made the wrong choice in Topp, i thought she would have found a better place within the Nash camp? I wonder how many Topp initial supporters regret their choice to endorse him early on?
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1178 on: March 08, 2012, 01:59:58 PM »

Leader / BC / AB / PR / ON / QC / AT / CAN / M / F

Mulcair / 25 / 12 / 26 / 25 / 37 / 30 / 27 / 25 / 29

Topp / 20 / 12 / 30 / 24 / 19 / 27 / 21 / 18 / 24

Nash /20 / 12 / 25 / 27 / 16 / 27 / 22 / 18 / 26

Wait, what is this? A poll of members, or of supporters? And is it just of decided voters, in traditional Canadian style, or does it include "undecided" in a separate category? Is it an internal for one of the candidates?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1179 on: March 08, 2012, 02:03:27 PM »

Sorry it came from a forum poll i believe...

Forum released a poll but i don't have an account so i can't link it.
https://www.forumresearch.com/PollsLogin.asp?c=ar95eryrn5r5&f=MHJED_Pn0nqn-9vqr_-_Srqr4ny_V557r5_c1yy_(S147z_er5rn4pu)_(FDEFDFDI).2qs

Leader / BC / AB / PR / ON / QC / AT / CAN / M / F

Mulcair / 25 / 12 / 26 / 25 / 37 / 30 / 27 / 25 / 29

Topp / 20 / 12 / 30 / 24 / 19 / 27 / 21 / 18 / 24

Nash /20 / 12 / 25 / 27 / 16 / 27 / 22 / 18 / 26

Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1180 on: March 08, 2012, 02:16:55 PM »

Yes you said that in the post above, but where did you see the numbers, and does that indirect source answer any of my questions?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #1181 on: March 08, 2012, 02:35:51 PM »

I was over at Rabble.ca and thats where i grabbed the numbers... looks like it was a pool of all canadians... not just NDP members

"Forum Research polled Canadians (n=1675, 5 Mar) with different putative NDP leaders at the helm.  They seem to indicate that with Topp or Nash, we're back in 4th place in Québec.  The results are:"

Leader/Cons/Lib/NDP/Green/Other/Undec

Mulcair/29/21/27/7/4/3/9
Topp/31/23/21/7/6/3/9
Nash/30/22/22/8/6/3/8
Unspecified/33/22/25/4/5/1/11

More NDP numbers (not repartitioning undecided):

Leader/BC/AB/PRA/ON/QC/ATL/CANADA/MALE/FEMALE

Mulcair/25/12/26/25/37/30/27/25/29
Topp/20/12/30/24/19/27/21/18/24
Nash/20/12/25/27/16/27/22/18/26

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1182 on: March 08, 2012, 10:03:11 PM »

At Issue: No insight we haven't heard a thousand times before. They think that Mulcair wins if Cullen places 3rd, and that Nash places second no matter what.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #1183 on: March 08, 2012, 10:09:57 PM »

I was over at Rabble.ca and thats where i grabbed the numbers... looks like it was a pool of all canadians... not just NDP members

"Forum Research polled Canadians (n=1675, 5 Mar) with different putative NDP leaders at the helm.  They seem to indicate that with Topp or Nash, we're back in 4th place in Québec.  The results are:"

Leader/Cons/Lib/NDP/Green/Other/Undec

Mulcair/29/21/27/7/4/3/9
Topp/31/23/21/7/6/3/9
Nash/30/22/22/8/6/3/8
Unspecified/33/22/25/4/5/1/11

More NDP numbers (not repartitioning undecided):

Leader/BC/AB/PRA/ON/QC/ATL/CANADA/MALE/FEMALE

Mulcair/25/12/26/25/37/30/27/25/29
Topp/20/12/30/24/19/27/21/18/24
Nash/20/12/25/27/16/27/22/18/26

Oh I see, it's support for the NDP depending on who the leader is, not support for leadership candidates.

Not a tremendously useful poll, but at least the numbers make more sense that way.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1184 on: March 09, 2012, 03:42:02 PM »

Damn it!  I may just end up having to put him first on my hypothetical ballot.  I really hope he at least makes clear his support for a Palestinian state (or lack thereof) or opposition to Israeli settlements (or lack thereof).  Not to mention the things the Charest government did while he was in it, and his explanation of his flirtations with the Conservatives seem less-than-satisfactory to me.  He also has some explaining to do regarding his Bay-Street donors.  But I can't see anyone else leading the NDP to power, but I really wish it didn't have to be with his approach.  I really wish Topp had more charisma, he'd be great if it weren't for that.  I STILL wish Megan Leslie or Peter Julian were running.  Nash needs to get to Quebec and work really hard campaigning if she wants to hang onto it, by the look of this poll.  She'll have a bit of time, but she'd still have a helluva lot of work to do (I'm surprised they're so unfavorable to her.  Is it that her French sounds too European? lol).

By the way, just out of curiosity...are Andrea Horwath and Adrian Dix likely or expected to make endorsements?  I'm a bit surprised that they haven't yet, seeing as they could be potential kingmakers (or queenmakers, if one or both of them go for Nash).  Dix especially.

Well in regards to the Middle east, its well known why he is more pro0Israel since his seat is very jewish; but i believe he has said he support party policy on the issues... my issue with him was how he treated Libby.
What don't you like about his explanation? i'm pretty sure its what actually happened;
Topp also has Bay street backers who have given larger sums of money then Mulcair who has more but given less (from what i remember) so Mulcair ain't the only one. Unfortunately in the days of post-gov't funding parties have to generate funds. I'm glad to see there are some progressives on bay street! i hope Tongue
Topp, in my opinion was never going to win; No seat (so another year without a leader!) NO elected experience outside of ACTRA and the NDP, and his campaign has been far too aggressive and blatantly anti-mulcair. Is he had one, i think Mulcair would had resigned.... i think Topp has made the blood that bad between the two. I agree i wish Nash had more charisma to her and the french thing i don't get either... a quebecer can maybe jump in, i'm franco-ontarian so my accents probably off too Tongue
Hmmm i thought most leaders haven't endorsed (except Michaels in NFLD)? I know the premiers haven't endorsed anyone... makes sense, who wants to divide.

If you don't want Mulcair as your first spot, don't. I doubt this is going to be a first or even second round win for anyone.

I think Libby made the wrong choice in Topp, i thought she would have found a better place within the Nash camp? I wonder how many Topp initial supporters regret their choice to endorse him early on?
My issue with his explanation was that he said he realized his views on the environment were too out of sync with the Conservatives (specifically Kyoto).  If he were truly a social democrat (or left-liberal), he would've realized before negotiating with them that he didn't belong in the CPC (not just with the environment, but social programs, labour, corporate tax breaks, gay rights, health care, etc.). He broke off the talks because he was too far off environmentally from them, but he said nothing about the other issues.  He also sat in the Charest government while it tried to raise tuition fees and take away basic labour rights (which makes you wonder if all of his labour supporters did any of their homework before backing him).  And his talk of "renewal" and "modernizing" sends chills down my spine, almost to the point of hearing Tony Blair's voice.  And as it's been pointed out, Blair ran on a more radical platform in 1994 than Mulcair is now.  Considering what Blair did with the Labour Party, I cringe to think of what Mulcair will do with the NDP.  Though I'm forced to admit, with these polls, that I have no choice to put Mulcair as No. 1 on my (hypothetical) ballot.  He'd better keep Libby on his front bench, and as Deputy leader.  She still tweeted some not-so-nice post about him during the last debate (though you can't blame her). 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1185 on: March 09, 2012, 03:48:06 PM »

I will be thrilled beyond measure if Mulcair loses. Not because I dislike him either...
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1186 on: March 09, 2012, 04:47:25 PM »

Interesting article.  If true, it would explain why Singh was so bizarrely harsh on Topp at the last two debates.
http://www.globalnews.ca/canada/mulcair+singh+appear+to+team+up+in+ndp+leadership+contest/6442597793/story.html

Basically, it suggests that Singh is Mulcair's attack dog, doing his dirty work for him, and that it's an open secret.  His arguments against Topp's capital gains tax proposals were pretty bizarre, saying they'd hurt charities, and a woman's right to choose.  He even called Topp a liar.  He also pulled a Captain Renault by going after Nash, asking how she can claim to understand Quebec if she hasn't lived there, even though he hasn't either.  Pretty pathetic, actually. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1187 on: March 09, 2012, 04:50:59 PM »

Shocker: the two rightmost candidates are allies. That's nothing compared to what Harper and the Permanent Campaign have in store for whoever wins... which only Mulcair is capable of handling. What I want to know is how things work downballot- but alas, that has to wait until Alice Funke posts again next Wed.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1188 on: March 09, 2012, 07:33:27 PM »

Shocker: the two rightmost candidates are allies. That's nothing compared to what Harper and the Permanent Campaign have in store for whoever wins... which only Mulcair is capable of handling. What I want to know is how things work downballot- but alas, that has to wait until Alice Funke posts again next Wed.
Sorry.  Wasn't quite aware that such dirty tricks were so common in Canada. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1189 on: March 09, 2012, 08:02:17 PM »

Negative attacks in a leadership battle are unusual for the NDP, (though what Singh did is very mild by Grit/Tory standards) I agree. Another reason why I think Mulcair might have problems is because his personality isn't in the traditional happy-warrior mold of NDP leaders. That doesn't mean being a "pleasant vegetable"- after all, Jack Layton threw (at Iggy and especially Paul Martin) and took punches, but it does mean storing the iron fist underneath the pillow. Mulcair's the reverse. And yes, there is a pillow, which I can attest to from personal experience.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1190 on: March 09, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »

Negative attacks in a leadership battle are unusual for the NDP, (though what Singh did is very mild by Grit/Tory standards) I agree. Another reason why I think Mulcair might have problems is because his personality isn't in the traditional happy-warrior mold of NDP leaders. That doesn't mean being a "pleasant vegetable"- after all, Jack Layton threw (at Iggy and especially Paul Martin) and took punches, but it does mean storing the iron fist underneath the pillow. Mulcair's the reverse. And yes, there is a pillow, which I can attest to from personal experience.
What I didn't realize was that it's common for one candidate to simply act as a stooge for another.  The article makes it clear that they tend to hang out together in the debates, and it's basically an open secret that Singh is planning to back Mulcair later.  Like it's all arranged that Singh is doing Mulcair's bidding. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1191 on: March 09, 2012, 10:27:43 PM »

You can't have a formal pact for two reasons: a) Counter to party culture b) how the balloting system works. 90% of voting will be done pre-convention. Perhaps the most famous pact in recent memory is Dion-Kennedy in '06, but that's the LPC, where such things are expected.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1192 on: March 09, 2012, 11:07:40 PM »

Here's last night's At Issue panel discussing the race.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/03/09/pol-at-issue-ndp-leadership.html
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1193 on: March 10, 2012, 12:17:49 AM »

Not going to watch those hacks. TV pundits are too used to the Liberals and Conservatives, and know the inner workings of those parties really well, but they don't know anything about the NDP.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1194 on: March 10, 2012, 12:02:48 PM »

Does anyone outside the NDP, apart from Alice Funke, know anything about the NDP?

Vintage Simpson.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/jeffrey-simpson/will-mulcair-beat-the-ndps-defenders-of-the-faith/article2364630/

Nash profile.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1143227--ndp-leadership-toronto-mp-peggy-nash-fights-for-her-neighbourhood?bn=1

BC standings.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hopefuls%2BBattle%2BSunday/6280154/story.html
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1195 on: March 10, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »

Explicit Thirdism? Fat chance.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-canadienne/201203/09/01-4504256-la-troisieme-voie-de-thomas-mulcair.php
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1196 on: March 10, 2012, 12:33:10 PM »

Does anyone outside the NDP, apart from Alice Funke, know anything about the NDP?
And how many of those inside it do?
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #1197 on: March 10, 2012, 02:21:33 PM »

For sure, La Presse wants the NDP infringing.

It is not a secret than Desmarais prefers Liberals. Their blatant campaigning for the scolarity fees increase proved than they are the propaganda arm of Desmarais/Power Corporation.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1198 on: March 10, 2012, 03:20:16 PM »

This is true. I wont watch At Issue until Funke is on the panel.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1199 on: March 10, 2012, 03:32:18 PM »

The French press definitely favours Mulcair and the Quebec pundit class has been saying said "elect Mulcair or we'll start writing your obituaries in Quebec" since the race started.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 45 46 47 [48] 49 50 51 52 53 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies