2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 08:30:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 144709 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #850 on: January 17, 2012, 06:28:11 AM »

So Mulcair, Nash and Dewar are the frontrunners?
There was never a point in this race at which it was not clearly Mulcair's to lose, and it's becoming less likely with every passing day that such a point may yet occur. It would still be Mulcair's to lose even if it were purely a ROC race - though it would be much more likely to actually happen then, and is possible even as is.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #851 on: January 17, 2012, 06:31:26 AM »

If the final ballot came down to Mulcair v. Nash, would an ABM movement spring up or would he win because one didn't organize (think Dion '06)?
Unless I'm reading this very very wrongly (someone please correct me in that case), the vast majority of votes will be IRV votes mailed in advance, so an ABM movement would have to spring up before non-negligible numbers of people start mailing.
Which probably means the media Topp narrative is actually helping Mulcair.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #852 on: January 17, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »

If the final ballot came down to Mulcair v. Nash, would an ABM movement spring up or would he win because one didn't organize (think Dion '06)?
Unless I'm reading this very very wrongly (someone please correct me in that case), the vast majority of votes will be IRV votes mailed in advance, so an ABM movement would have to spring up before non-negligible numbers of people start mailing.
Which probably means the media Topp narrative is actually helping Mulcair.

The instructions from the party aren't clear, but some people will vote by IRV in advance and some will vote at each round.

I suppose than the mail/online votes are IRV in advance.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #853 on: January 17, 2012, 07:18:46 AM »

Well online votes could theoretically be either, though you'd have to be glued to your pc. How many votes are these going to be, though? Clearly the people actually voting physically at the convention are a negligible quantity.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #854 on: January 17, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »

We can vote at the convention? Then, I guess that's what I'll be doing. Anyone else here going?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #855 on: January 17, 2012, 10:30:17 AM »

Eh, the description I read made it sound like that. You better make double sure.
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #856 on: January 17, 2012, 11:02:58 AM »

Sounds like it will be similar to 2003, where you could vote at convention, online or mail... me i did the online (same for the Ontario leadership race). I'm still thinking about going, since its around the corner from my house Smiley

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Democratic_Party_leadership_election,_2012

nice list on wiki, and all the endorsees (many we left out but still biggies)

Oh, anyone know who Robert Chisholm might back? that couild be a game changer for someone.

Was also a nice write-up in the star about Saganash...
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/politics/article/1116528--ndp-leadership-candidate-romeo-saganash-knows-what-it-s-like-to-beat-the-odds
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #857 on: January 17, 2012, 11:21:22 AM »

http://leadership2012.ndp.ca/convention/how-vote

That sounds pretty clear to me. Hmmm... wonder how many people will vote on the day instead... wonder how many people will end up not voting because they intended to vote on the day and then life interfered, too.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #858 on: January 17, 2012, 12:20:43 PM »

We can vote at the convention? Then, I guess that's what I'll be doing. Anyone else here going?

Mmm, I don't think so. The Toronto Comic-con is the same day. Quality time with my boyfriend versus party convention. Tongue
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #859 on: January 17, 2012, 12:40:57 PM »

Liberals fear Mulcair.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/actualites/quebec-canada/politique-canadienne/201201/16/01-4486501-direction-du-npd-les-liberaux-craignent-lelection-de-mulcair.php
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #860 on: January 17, 2012, 12:42:19 PM »

Mmm, I don't think so. The Toronto Comic-con is the same day. Quality time with my boyfriend versus party convention. Tongue

Comic-con is in the burbs, to far for a non-driver like me.
OR you could do like me, get your NDP supportive boyfriend to finally take out a membership Smiley

Side bar... do you prefer comic-con over fan expo? been meaning to get my ass to one.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #861 on: January 17, 2012, 01:05:14 PM »

Really!? Sad

I was hoping for an atlas meet up. Oh well...  political conventions are all the nerdiness I need. I'm no fan of comics and whatnot.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #862 on: January 17, 2012, 01:23:34 PM »

Dewar gets 3 Manitoba MLA endorsements

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #863 on: January 17, 2012, 01:40:41 PM »

OR you could do like me, get your NDP supportive boyfriend to finally take out a membership Smiley

Side bar... do you prefer comic-con over fan expo? been meaning to get my ass to one.

Comic-Con is in the Metro Toronto Convention Center this year, right across the street from the CN Tower. And last year it was in the Direct Energy Center. Nowhere near the burbs. Tongue Also my boyfriend's from California so no membership for him. Besides, he used to complain about me supporting the NDP and not the Liberals because they had "no chance" and the Liberals were "leftist"(I know, I know) until the NDP became the official opposition last May.

As for Fan Expo, I've never been. I live in Timmins during the summer, so I'm too far away for that.

Sorry Earl. Sad I could always dress up as Mulcair for the convention, though?
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #864 on: January 17, 2012, 01:53:56 PM »

Comic-Con is in the Metro Toronto Convention Center this year, right across the street from the CN Tower. And last year it was in the Direct Energy Center. Nowhere near the burbs. Tongue Also my boyfriend's from California so no membership for him. Besides, he used to complain about me supporting the NDP and not the Liberals because they had "no chance" and the Liberals were "leftist"(I know, I know) until the NDP became the official opposition last May.

As for Fan Expo, I've never been. I live in Timmins during the summer, so I'm too far away for that.

Sorry Earl. Sad I could always dress up as Mulcair for the convention, though?

Well Shut the Front Door!... might have to look into going then this year, could have sworn that one was up in Markham.

Ahhh i used to hear that complaint all the time back home in Eastern Ontario... less so these days.

Dewar seems to be sweeping to some degree Manitoba (southern mostly), any reason?
Still waiting to see if Chisholm backs anyone... common, get on with it! I don't know if any of his previous endorsers have come out in support of anyone else.
I only just realised my long time friend and new MP Dan Harris is going for Mulcair
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #865 on: January 17, 2012, 01:57:10 PM »

Yeah, he introduced him at a few of Mulcair's Toronto events. I saw him talk when I went to one, but I didn't speak to him directly. It took all my courage to actually have a conversation with Mulcair, himself.

William Molls, who was the NDP candidate for St. Paul's in the 2011 election was there as well. I think he said he was on his team? But I forget. It was a while ago.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #866 on: January 17, 2012, 02:24:34 PM »

Yeah, he introduced him at a few of Mulcair's Toronto events. I saw him talk when I went to one, but I didn't speak to him directly. It took all my courage to actually have a conversation with Mulcair, himself.

William Molls, who was the NDP candidate for St. Paul's in the 2011 election was there as well. I think he said he was on his team? But I forget. It was a while ago.
I have yet to get to any events... i'm hoping to maybe get to the Leaders event tmr... i hate being a working man Tongue
How was Mulcair your reation/thoughts to Mulcair in person?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #867 on: January 17, 2012, 02:29:20 PM »

I met Mulcair about 3 years ago. Let's just say he's an... interesting conversationalist, but a lot calmer than the ROC media would have you believe.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #868 on: January 17, 2012, 02:41:21 PM »

I met Mulcair about 3 years ago. Let's just say he's an... interesting conversationalist, but a lot calmer than the ROC media would have you believe.

Sounds like your just being polite Tongue whats your real perseption of the man?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #869 on: January 17, 2012, 03:26:54 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2012, 03:49:44 PM by Holmes »

No, it's true. He's really soft-spoken and friendly. Answered all the questions asked, didn't shy away from any (then again, he was surrounded by NDP supporters, so yeah). Poked fun at the media back calling him right-wing (back then), and at the Liberals and Conservatives. He was nice.

So I don't believe the "he's too angry" complaints. Or rather, I think he can control his anger? At least, if it comes out against Harper, I won't mind.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/01/17/liberals-fear-mulcair-leadership-of-ndp/
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #870 on: January 17, 2012, 05:22:17 PM »

I know my endorsement was useless, but I'm un-endorsing the half-canadian who is running for NDP leader.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #871 on: January 17, 2012, 05:49:43 PM »

Did you oppose Dion's '06 candidacy for that reason? Of all the things to criticize Mulcair for... that should be near the bottom of the list.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #872 on: January 17, 2012, 05:50:34 PM »

Why is dual citizenship bad now? You'd think it'd help with relations with the country in question...
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #873 on: January 17, 2012, 06:47:34 PM »

Did you oppose Dion's '06 candidacy for that reason? Of all the things to criticize Mulcair for... that should be near the bottom of the list.
I opposed Dion for a LOT of reasons. Even my grandmother, who had voted Liberal in every Federal or Provincial election in her entire life, refused to vote for Dion.

Unlike the US, you can be leader even if you are not born here. People choose to be Canadian. My father did. Mulcair should choose to be Canadian, and not leave a backup option.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #874 on: January 17, 2012, 06:54:44 PM »

At any rate, the PM's statement shows he's hardly ruling out a variant of "just visiting" for use by the Permanent Campaign if Mulcair wins. Ditto for Rae.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 32 33 34 [35] 36 37 38 39 40 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies