2012 NDP leadership convention
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:38:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  2012 NDP leadership convention
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 61
Author Topic: 2012 NDP leadership convention  (Read 144795 times)
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #900 on: January 19, 2012, 06:31:35 PM »

Scott Stinson: what policy differences?

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2012/01/19/scott-stinson-an-ndp-leadership-debate-minus-the-debate/
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #901 on: January 20, 2012, 03:13:01 PM »

Simpson gushes over the field.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/opinions/jeffrey-simpson/what-to-like-and-fear-about-the-ndp/article2292765/

Gerry Caplan warns of the inherent dangers.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/second-reading/gerald-caplan/the-establishment-and-the-ndp-a-match-made-in-political-heaven/article2309566/singlepage/#articlecontent
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #902 on: January 20, 2012, 05:30:05 PM »

Mulcair on a membership drive.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/mulcair-launches-ambitious-ndp-membership-drive-in-quebec/article2309865/
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #903 on: January 22, 2012, 10:24:38 PM »

Brian Topp got some more endorsements. The biggest seems to be that of another comedian, Colin Mochrie (I'm sure our British and American friends will recognize him from Whose Line Is It Anyway?)

Topp also got the endosement of former MP Bill Siksay and current MP Chris Charlton
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #904 on: January 22, 2012, 10:29:49 PM »

Brian Topp got some more endorsements. The biggest seems to be that of another comedian, Colin Mochrie (I'm sure our British and American friends will recognize him from Whose Line Is It Anyway?)

I thought he would be better than that. Sad
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #905 on: January 22, 2012, 10:33:55 PM »

Topp: No negative campaigning?

http://www.straight.com/article-589066/vancouver/leadership-candidate-brian-topp-says-ndp-can-win-not-copying-conservatives-and-suppressing-voter-turnou
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #906 on: January 22, 2012, 10:36:18 PM »

Well, Topp was the head of the actor's union. He's going to get all of the actor's endorsements.

But, I think the most coveted celebrity endorsement will be that of the Barenaked Ladies. Who will BNL support? (I think they're the most famous NDP supporters)
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

« Reply #907 on: January 22, 2012, 10:44:54 PM »

Colin Mochrie appears everywhere.

I don't think that a Canadian can go a single day without seeing that man on TV or hearing about him.

Hell I even knew a guy who saw him walking down the street in London... ENGLAND!
lilTommy

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -5.04

« Reply #908 on: January 24, 2012, 08:21:46 AM »

Well, Topp was the head of the actor's union. He's going to get all of the actor's endorsements.

But, I think the most coveted celebrity endorsement will be that of the Barenaked Ladies. Who will BNL support? (I think they're the most famous NDP supporters)

Topp musn't have been too happy with Polley endorsing Nash then eh.

Ya i think whomever steven page endorses will get another big boost, and some more national attention.

Now its Dewar on the mild attact against Mulcair...
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Dewar+calls+Mulcair+clarify+position+bulk+water+exports/6039912/story.html

Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #909 on: January 24, 2012, 09:08:07 AM »

Anyone remember when Harper made Iggy and Layton members of the privy council? Said something about security?

Anyone else think that he should make Nash, Dewar, and Mulcair (not to mention Turmel) members as well?

Hell I'd appoint those 4 plus Topp, Ashton, Cullen, Sanganash, Harris, Chisholm, Martin, and Davies.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #910 on: January 24, 2012, 12:18:22 PM »

...and more Labour endorsements for Nash:

Gil McGowan of the Alberta Federation of Labour (AFL)
Sid Ryan of the Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) - the only one i know, multiple Oshawa candidate and an outspoken firebrand, i like him but he is said to rub many people the wrong way.
Lana Payne of the Newfoundland & Labrador Federation of Labour (NLFL)
Rick Clarke of the Nova Scotia Federation of Labour (NSFL)
Mary Lou Cherwaty of the Northern Territories Federation of Labour (NTFL)

RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #911 on: January 25, 2012, 08:06:13 AM »

Some policy contrasts.

http://www.punditsguide.ca/2012/01/battlelines-visible-under-the-surface-of-ndp-leadership-race/
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #912 on: January 25, 2012, 08:45:46 AM »

Did anyone catch Mulcair on 22minutes last nite?
http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/01/24/22-minutes-sneak-peak-cold-mulcair-will-that-be-a-toque-or-beret/

I thought he performed rather well, was calm and light hearted, laughs and smiles abound. A tad scripted but hes a politician so hes going to talk shop no matter where he is, and on a national broadcast thats his motive is to get his message out. Loved the Che comment, and his slap at Harper; i found he basically negated the dual citizenship stuff. hes already earned the nickname tommy now thanks to Critch.

If i were Nash or Dewar (i think Topps been on before) i'd be asking 22minutes to script them into scenes too now!

minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #913 on: January 25, 2012, 08:58:58 AM »

What kind of show is that? Doesn't exactly seem designed to make its guests look bad.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #914 on: January 25, 2012, 10:04:57 AM »

What kind of show is that? Doesn't exactly seem designed to make its guests look bad.

Its a political satire show about canadian/world news/politics... and yes it is designed to poke fun at their guest, and with their skits. The Rick Mercer show is the same type of humour. Along the same lines as the Daily Show
Jack Layton was a regular and was probably the best Federal Leader to be able to joke abouts and in many cases at his own expense; they routinely made fun of how lefty the party was, or how small the caucus was, etc.
If you can laugh and play along, since its all in beau-jest i think you come off looking relatable and likeable.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #915 on: January 25, 2012, 12:01:11 PM »

It's weird how there were two Canadian regulars on that show.
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #916 on: January 25, 2012, 12:37:01 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17eBELp8tEA
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #917 on: January 25, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »

Canada has it's own brand of political satire (as does the UK for that matter) that would not work well in the other country, or even other countries in general.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #918 on: January 25, 2012, 01:32:04 PM »

Another biggie for Dewar... Maher Arar
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/story/2012/01/25/pol-ndp-dewar-arar.html

"...Arar is the Canadian citizen who was deported from the United States during a stopover flight and sent to Syria, his country of birth, in 2002. He was jailed for suspected links to terrorism, but never charged with a crime, and faced torture during his imprisonment for a year"

His wife, Monia Mazigh was a NDP candidate in 2004 in Ottawa South (i believe, a riding with a high arab/muslim population)... Could she or ever he be a candidate in 2015?
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #919 on: January 25, 2012, 01:38:55 PM »

If Dewar wins the leadership, Mazigh could well win Ottawa South in 2015.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #920 on: January 25, 2012, 03:10:04 PM »

McGuinty isn't going anywhere until he retires. And Mazigh can't win the white middle to middle-upper class vote that dominates Ottawa South. The NDP received 13% in the OSo both in 2004 and 2006, but from very different constituencies. Mazigh did really well in the immigrant communities, but Sader lost most of that support. And despite being an Arab himself, he was able to pick up support from middle class whites who were probably drawn in by the national campaign.

I was just a couple months shy of turning 18 for the 2004 election, and I would have voted for her initially, I learned a couple days before the election that she was against same-sex marriage and I would have voted Green.  I guess it's good I couldn't vote, because that would have been a blemish on my clean voting record Wink

It's weird how there were two Canadian regulars on that show.

Yes, not to mention a couple of Canadian non regulars as well (Kathy Greenwood).  Actually come to think of it, both Mochrie and Greenwood were briefly on This Hour Has 22 Minutes.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #921 on: January 25, 2012, 03:47:04 PM »

She has no business being an NDP candidate, then.
lilTommy

Political Matrix

« Reply #922 on: January 25, 2012, 03:50:36 PM »

My thoughts exaclty... i was excited that she was a) female b) minority, both badly need representation... but not at the expense of another group.
Plus McGuinty might be a Liberal leadership candidate... maybe, probably not but you never know.
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #923 on: January 25, 2012, 11:06:59 PM »

And THAT my friends, is the EXACT attitude I was referring to when I said the NDP has an attitude in it that makes people want to leave.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #924 on: January 25, 2012, 11:08:10 PM »

Wasn't there a high-profile female MP booted from the NDP caucus for opposing SSM a few years ago?
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 34 35 36 [37] 38 39 40 41 42 ... 61  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies