Madame President
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 05:48:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Madame President
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: Who should be Palin's Vice President Pick?
Judd Gregg
Michele Bachmann
Mitch Daniels
Other
Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Author Topic: Madame President  (Read 18368 times)
NHI
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 23, 2011, 10:15:03 PM »

Coming Soon: Madame President: Election Night 2012
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 08:54:40 AM »

Prologue:

On September 3rd, 2011 Sarah Palin announced her in front of a large crowd in Iowa that she was running for President of the United States. The announcement was seen a major boost to the Republican Field and she rocketed to the top tier of candidates. Her entry seemed to sideline Michele Bachmann, and in some polls she either tied or beat Rick Perry for second.

Palin announces her campaign to a crowd of 10,000 people.

The pundits instantly jumped on the three person race to be the Anti-Romney and many analysts believed the nomination would go to Mitt Romney. Yet, Palin came out swinging and attacked all her opponents as being unable to defeat Obama, but specifically cited Romney.

"We don't need to nominate someone who is only pretending to be a conservative for political reasons. We need a true, red blooded conservative, not a RHINO!"

Palin's comments were seen as the first major attack on Romney's frontrunner status. The Romney camp did respond, but it was not one that was effective enough to derail Palin's RHINO remark. By ignoring all requests for interviews with the three major networks Palin focused on the debate. All eyes were on the September 7th debate, which included Perry and Palin.

The first victim of the night was Rick Perry. He was first questioned on his secessionist remark, which he tried to backtrack as a joke, but it seemed to fall flat. He was later questioned on this thoughts on social security and how he described it as unconstitutional.

Perry: I said those thoughts once, I've changed my mind.
Anchor: These comments were in your book "Fed Up".
Perry: Well, these comments, eh, my books are merely ways to stir a conversation.
Anchor: So you don't stand by what's in your book?
Perry:    I believe we have to make changes to our entitlements.
Anchor: But do you believe social security is unconstitutional?
Perry:    In its present form, yes.

Perry's end.

With Perry sidelined Sarah Palin came out as the winner. She spent the night effectively dodging gotcha questions, while presenting herself as the candidate that could beat Obama and the true conservative. Mitt Romney for the first time was attacked and Palin seemed to be leading the charged.

Palin asserts her as the frontrunner.

She criticized him on the Romneycare/Obamacare similarities and said, "It's hard to sometimes distinguish who is Mitt and who's Obama." The line drew a laugh from the audience and Romney continued to make his state's rights line, but it did not seem to be as effective, for Palin attacked him for the mandate part of his reform.

As the march towards Iowa began Sarah Palin conducted a series of interviews with all major networks, where she reaffirmed her positions and answered as to why she left the governorship. When pressed by Diane Sawyer.
Sawyer If she were elected and it became to intense or stressful, would you resign the Presidency?
Palin    No, and here's why Diane. First off, my term in Alaska was nearing an end, and I did not want to punish the people of Alaska why a needless investigation and such. Now I've said that, but on the presidency of course not. I would not resign. There's a mamma grizzly in me and I want to fight for this country and if given the opportunity to serve this country I would. Now what I will say is that I will not make a pledge to serve a second term. 
Sawyer Elaborate?
Palin Look at President Obama, he should have been focused on the economy and should still be, instead of reelection. Frankly, I don't know why he is running for reelection.
Sawyer Governor, you negatives are higher than your positives and many people, even republican have said they would never vote you and can't win. What is your response to that?
Palin First, I believe I can beat Pres. Obama if I am the nominee and second, many thought that about Ronald Reagan. Now I'm trying to make me out to be Reagan's heir, for no one could replace or replicate that great man, but I do see the comparisons. People thought he knew nothing. People thought he couldn't be elected. Well, he won two landslide victories.

Palin with Sawyer.

GOP Nomination Polling:
Romney: 22%
Palin:      21%
Perry:     16%
Bachmann: 13%
Paul:           10%
Cain:             8%
Huntsman:   4%
Gingrich:       3%
Santorum:    1%

With Palin's entrance Bachmann became yesterdays news and The Tea Party Queen effectively ended the coverage and focus on her. Now over the course of the months leading up to Iowa the President saw an uptick his popularity. As the unemployment rate slowly dropped  public confidence was restored. And, by January the unemployment rate hit 8.5% which the Administration hailed as a victory.
"Recovery has begun!" -Obama

2012 Polling:
Palin vs. Obama
Obama 54%
Palin      39%

Romney vs. Obama
Romney 46%
Obama 46%

When the Iowa caucuses came Sarah Palin won the first caucuses by a wider than expected margin and the rest they say was history. A late resurgent Cain came up from behind and sidelined Bachmann.

IOWA:
Palin:  34%
Cain:   20%
Bachmann: 19%
Perry:         11%
Romney:     10%
Other:          6%

A few week later Romney managed to pullout a win in New Hampshire, though Palin came in a surprising second. Most pundits figured she'd loses New Hampshire and by a large margin, but he narrow loss reaffirmed her as a serious player for the nomination.

New Hampshire:
Romney: 34%
Palin:      31%
Romney wins, but Palin remains
The media effectively painted the race as a Romney-Palin match. With Rick Perry bowing out, as well as Gingrich, Huntsman, and Santorum. Only Bachmann, Cain and Paul remained to challenge Romney and Palin. Yet the two candidates could not get much media coverage.

Despite wins for Romney in Michigan and Nevada, Palin won the prized endorsement of Nikki Haley in South Carolina and then went onto carry the state overwhelming. Though Romney came in second his place was downplayed as Bachmann came in less than a point behind him.

Those of the left applauded Palin's victories as while never disclosed publicly, everyone knew The White House wanted to face Palin. The GOP establishment was shaky, with an economy on the road to recovery and a President regaining public trust the last thing they wanted to do was nominate someone who could produce the biggest loss for the Republicans since Barry Goldwater.

Rove offers his perspective.

Karl Rove said on Fox and Friends, "Gov. Palin can fire up the base and present the conservative case, but what I fear as do many Republicans is that we're looking at a loss of epic proportions if she's the nominee. A Barry Goldwater rerun if you will."

Palin attacked Rove for his comments and continued her crusade as a populist candidate, one outside the Washington beltway and away from the establishment. "Come November we're going to shakeup that town, because America we're taking our country back!"

Though Romney held onto hope for Super Tuesday he received the final nail in his coffin. Right before the contests her former running mate John McCain announced that he would be supporting Gov. Palin for the Republican nomination.

"She the voice of our party. She reflects the concerns of millions of Americans. She's a champion and fighter my friends, and someone I deeply respect. My friends our next President, Sarah Palin!"

McCain makes his endorsement of his former Vice Presidential nominee.

McCain's endorsement gave a great bounce to the Palin campaign and she practically swept the contests on Super Tuesday, though narrowly in some places, Romney knew to save face, and possibly for a shot at the VP nod he would step outside, despite calls for him to fight all the way to the convention.

Romney and Palin campaign in Florida together, following his endorsement of her.

After Palin secured the nomination the Democratic National Committee began a full on attack of Palin. Citing her record as governor, her resignation and as an extremist. Palin waisted no time and returned fire on the Obama campaign, but luck seemed to be on the President's side. With the economy recovering and unemployment at 8.1% by June, many pundits saw Palin's campaign as a nonstarter.

A projected electoral map did not paint a pretty picture for the Governor and many GOP establishment figures began to fret over the Palin candidacy.

Obama: 330
Palin:     149
Tossup:   59

However the GOP establishment wouldn't have to fret for much long, as the GOP convention neared an uptick in unemployment was seen and the stock market took its biggest hit since 2008, prompting fears of recession. What would ensure would abate GOP fears of an Palin defeat, and elevate a Palin win.

MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 09:44:36 AM »

Continue Smiley
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:40:02 AM »

So does Obama eat a kitten?
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 12:50:30 PM »

This is great, please continue!

I'd like to see these names up for Veepstakes
--Jeb Bush of Florida
--George Pataki of New York
--Scott Brown of Massachusetts
--Jon Huntsman of Utah
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 01:00:56 PM »

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 02:47:17 PM »

I have trouble seein Palin, Perry, and Bachmann in one race. If this does happen, Bachmann or Perry would be forced to drop out, and Cain, Paul, Huntsman, and Romney would have the most to gain, way more then 6%.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 03:03:35 PM »

I imagine the bottom is going to fall out
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 03:44:33 PM »

July:
Obama vs. Palin
Obama 55%
Palin       37%

Most pundits predicted a Palin defeat similar to Barry Goldwater in 1964, or perhaps George McGovern in 1972. Palin kept a low profile in the weeks leading up the convention, but a list did leaked out potential vice presidential nominees, which caused speculations among Washington circles. The Palin campaign offered no comment on the list, and reporters began following the prospective candidates.

George Pataki:
Scott Brown
Jon Huntsman
Jeb Bush
Rick Perry
Tim Pawlenty
Olympia Snowe
Bob McDonald
Chris Christie
Mitt Romney

On MSNBC's Hardball, commentator Chris Matthews offered his thoughts on the leaked Veepstakes list.

Matthews I think if anything the majority of this list is lip service. I think she'll narrow it down to a Tim Pawlenty, maybe a Huntsman or even a Snowe. All of them seem like perfectly acceptable choices to moderate Palin's ticket. Let's turn to Michael Steele, former head of the RNC. Michael who's gonna be the nominee?
Steele I honestly wish I knew Chris. This list certainly has a lot of potential who would add a great balance to the ticket. I don't think Christie or McDonald will accept it and I don't think Bush will either. I think you right Huntsman be a great pick, as would Pawlenty, but the name you and many are skipping over is Scott Brown. I think he'd be a great balance to the ticket and he could help swing a state like New Hampshire.
Matthews She's not going to carry New Hampshire. She minds well pick Michele Bachmann or Rick Perry, because there's no way she's gonna win this thing. Not with those numbers.

As July slowly became August the unemployment numbers started to rise once more and the markets simply chugged along. The White House continued to comment that recoveries always take time and what we are experiencing is part of the recovery.

At a speech in Iowa Palin chided Obama for his failure on the economy and stated, "This economy is going to continue to spiral out of control, because of the failed policies of this President. When I'm in the Oval Office I will repeal the job killing law, Obamacare and I will see that the private sector thrives once again. His concern is for the public sector, government jobs, I'm concerned with your jobs!"

Sarah Palin agreed to a 60 Minutes Interview, in which she talked about her faith, her family, her politics and the main differences between her and Obama. In the interview Palin commented on the leaked list and cited that she would have her choice revealed shortly.

Palin narrows the Veepstakes list.

By the middle of August three names appeared to be in the running for Vice President.
Scott Brown
Tim Pawlenty
Olympia Snowe

Also, during this time a new poll was released showing that Palin's chances against Obama had improved as the economy began to slip and his approval ratings dipped back into the low forties.

Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 50%
Palin 43%

Mitt Romney commented on the Presidential race on the eve of Palin's Vice Presidential Announcement. He stated that he was not the pick, but was confident in Palin's pick. When asked if he would be interested in a role in a potential Palin Administration Romney did not say no to the idea.

As media coverage fell onto the states of Maine, Massachusetts and Minnesota, all three potential candidates were mum, but when pressed Olympia Snowe stated she was not going to be the nominee. "Sorry to upset you."

On August 24th, Palin headed to Florida for her big revelation. The media kept their eyes on Scott Brown and Tim Pawlenty, but both never left there respective states. By ten am, an hour before the announcement Palin leaked that the list originally leaked was not the finalized list. A finalized list came out that included some different names:

1. Marco Rubio
2. Kelly Ayotte
3. Jon Huntsman
4. George Pataki
5. (TBD)

However at the announcement rally most expected to see Marco Rubio emerge as the pick, given that Palin headed to Florida for her announcement. But, Rubio was not the pick nor the three other people on the list.

Palin makes her announcement....

At 11:00 Sarah Palin introduced her Vice Presidential pick. "The next Vice President of these United States Governor...."
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 03:45:13 PM »

I imagine the bottom is going to fall out

You imagine correctly. Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 03:52:21 PM »

I actually think Judd Gregg would be a good pick.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 04:08:17 PM »

I'd like you feedback on possible VP picks. Place your pick and I'll take your considerations.

Thank you.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 04:24:04 PM »

Jim Edgar! Experience, respect, dark-horse maverickyness, from a liberal state in a swing region with moderate-to-conservative views that can please Jon Huntsman, Steve King, and everyone in between.
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 05:22:56 PM »

I think Huntsman is the smartest pick. He levels out the Palin ticket, will help her recultivate the image she had in Alaska, maybe pivot to the center.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 08:52:26 PM »

Huntsman or Brown..But I have a hunch it will be Rick Scott Wink
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 09:09:20 PM »
« Edited: August 24, 2011, 09:16:46 PM by Rockefeller »

Huntsman moderate positions and foreign policy credentials make him perfect for Palin.

OTTL, I think if someone like Bachmann or Perry get the nom in 2012 and polls show Obama with a big led, then Hunstman is gonna kill for the VP slot.  Why?  Its keeps in him the public eye and puts him at the top of the pack for 2016, which is what Huntsman really wants--not 2012.

Also a VP debate featuring the former Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Cmte and the former Ambassador of China is blockbuster material...well, for me at least. 
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2011, 08:17:07 AM »

Palin Pivots to the Center
Sarah Palin announced to a large crowd of 15,000 people that she had selected former governor of Utah, Jon Huntsman as her running mate.

"He has a vast knowledge of experience when it comes to foreign affairs, particularly when dealing with China. His opinion is something I will value in the White House. He is an honest man, a man of principle and a man I want by my side as we take on Barack Obama and Joe Biden. Ladies and gentle the next Vice President of these United States, Gov. Jon Huntsman!" 

"I am honored to be asked by Gov. Palin to serve this country. Now we have our differences sure and she respects that, as I respect her views. Together I believe we will see this country through the economic storm and carry her back with your help to a place of pristine glory. Now I am aware that some are wary, for me having served with this President, but let me say this: Politics ends on election day. If you love this country you serve her. I served proudly then as Ambassador to China under a Democratic President and I will proudly serve her under a Republican President."

Huntsman's pick was seen as a masterful stroke by Palin who looked to move towards the center and attract more moderate and independent voters away from Barack Obama. Of the final five choices Huntsman was deemed by the media to be the strongest and wisest pick.

Palin and Huntsman at an event in New Hampshire.

It was eventually revealed that Mitch Daniels was the fifth person added to the list. However Gov. Daniels declined, citing that he did not have the full backing of his family. Pundits also saw Huntsman as taking advantage of his situation. If elected he would elevate his name and would be a strong candidate for his party's nomination down the road.

With the Huntsman pick shaking up the race The President looked to regain the momentum amid the Republican Convention. As the unemployment rate saw an uptick once more and his approval ratings drop to the low forties he unleashed Joe Biden, who at a campaign stop in Michigan blasted Jon Huntsman for running with Palin.

"Come on folks we're smarter than this and he ought to know better. Here's a nice guy from a small state, given the chance to work with Barack Obama in post partisan manner and yet he turns his back and runs for President, and when that blows up in his face he runs for Vice President. Jon Huntsman doesn't care about America, he cares about his political career!"

Biden blasting Huntsman on the stump.

Biden's comments received immediate attention and scorn from people on both side, and while the Palin campaign issued a statement, Huntsman refused to attack Biden, only saying: "I look forward to our debate, Mr. Vice President."

On the first night of the Republican Convention Mitt Romney gave a speech praising by Gov. Palin and Gov. Huntsman and attacking Barack Obama. "We love this land. We know we can do better and we will with Sarah Palin and Jon Huntsman!"

Also on that night Sen. John McCain and Michele Bachmann and Laura Bush all gave speeches praising Sarah Palin. The night was deemed to be a success, especially with a new poll released that showed Palin gaining traction as the economy began to slip.

Palin vs. Obama:
Obama 49%
Palin   45%

On the second night Rudy Giuliani delivered a speech that chided Pres. Obama for his handling of the economy and even criticized him on his dealing with foreign affairs.

"Osama Bin Laden is dead, thank goodness, but is our world secure? How has President done in dealing with Iran? Failed. How has this President done with North Korea? Failed. The President got Bin Laden and I am glad for that, but on the whole he has failed in the area of foreign policy and that my friends needs to change!"

Yet the speech that was seen as the highlight of the second night was the keynote speech given by Marco Rubio, which only reaffirmed his status as a rising star in The Republican Party and eventually Vice President or even President down the line. He introduced himself to the national stage in a way similar to Barack Obama in 2004.

"...This President loves America, I have no doubt of that. What I do doubt are his policies for America. I'm going to ask a question and I'm sure of what the response will be, but I'm going to ask it anyways. Are we as a country better off than we were for years ago? (NO!) I believe in change, let there be no mistake of that, but I believe in the right change, conservative change. Change that adheres to the Constitution, changes that respects the traditions of this great land. Change that is wanted by all the American people. If you reach the same conclusion as I have we cannot elect Barack Obama to another term in office, we need new ideas, new energies and new leadership in the Oval Office! America will continue to be the greatest country on the face of the earth, but only with a new President can we truly reaffirm her greatness."

By the third night the convention hall was buzzing and when Jon Huntsman finally took the stage to accept the nomination for Vice President he delivered a home run. The crowd went wild as the moderate Republican seem to appeal to the better angels and in a sense reaffirm the voice of moderation in the Republican party that had been missing.

"...We are a party of big ideas, not pale pastels as a great man once said. A big tent party that is inclusive, not exclusive. We have our differences on matters of policies, on matters of politics, but one thing is certain: We love this country. We proudly serve her, and not for political reason, but for the good of the country! I love America and I am deeply and profoundly honored to serve her once more. I accept your nomination for Vice President and accept the call to serve with the next President of the United States, Sarah Palin!"

Huntsman's speech was seen 37 million people.

On the last night Bristol Palin, along side her brothers and sister and father introduced Sarah Palin as a hockey mom and a mamma grizzly who was ready to bring the right change to Washington.

Palin accepted her party's nomination and proclaimed loudly that she would be the next President of the United States. "Sometimes we have to take a different course. We can't always turn to Washington to solve our problems. Now Alaska can't be seen from the White House, but we can see everything from up there and frankly it's time to make that city reflective of all the small towns and places across this blessed  land. Pres. Obama sees America not as we do. This country is a shining city on a hill and we will see that she remains it, and if you give me the chance to serve as your President I will honor you trust so help me God!"

Palin was speech was seen a record setting 42 million people.

The Convention following Palin's acceptance.

The result from the convention was a refreshened image of Sarah Palin. One that had not been seen since the early days of the 2008 campaign. The woman once the blunt of jokes and scorn was now her party's nominee and the first woman to be nominated by a major party. Democrats waisted no time in attack Palin who received a large boost from the convention, in most polls she was behind Obama by only two or three points, and some polls have her tied with him.

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2011, 08:34:06 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2011, 07:21:53 AM by NHI »

With Palin gaining more ground by the day The Democrats headed into their convention amid a shaky economy, that many economist were now saying border-lined on recession. The President sealed himself off on the week of the convention, concentrating on his speech and the economy. Yet, no one would be prepared for what was to come next...

"Yes, it is historic, but we must remember that she is not running as a woman for President, but a Republican woman for President. There's a difference."

The DNC chair's comments were immediately lambasted by the Palin campaign with Palin tweeting, "This is what's wrong with Washington, plain and simple. I'm proud to be a conservative woman and I honored to be running as a woman for President of the United States. Ms. Wasserman-Schultz needs to comeback from the stone ages and look at her own position."

Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 48%
Palin   46%

The week of the Democratic Convention Chris Matthews found himself in hot water over a comment he made, regarding the Palin candidacy.

"The only reason this woman is doing well in the polls is because the economy is tanking. People are frustrated with the economy so there voting on a referendum on the economy not the President and this woman seems to be collecting the reward. In any other circumstances Pres. Obama would be crushing this woman, but the only saying, it's the economy stupid is coming into play and stupid is collecting the reward."

Rather than issue a statement condemning the attack, Palin' campaign manager stated, "Gov. Palin will be addressing the matter on women in politics when speaks in New Hampshire tomorrow."

Palin was greeted by a large crowd in the Granite State, along side Sen. Kelly Ayotte who introduced her. In the speech Palin tried to bring some light on the importance of her candidacy, and that with her election America would transcend boundaries once thought immovable. She talked of the many women candidates who dared to run and had gotten so close, but never reached the finish line. Palin promised that she would do so. "I'm running for the daughters, the mothers, the sisters of today, and I'm running for those women of tomorrow. American has done many things, we're not ashamed to try and once more we will do it again."

Palin's speech in New Hampshire received even more praise than her convention speech.

New Hampshire Polling:
Obama 50%
Palin   49%

With Palin gaining more ground by the day The Democrats headed into their convention amid a shaky economy, that many economist were now saying border-lined on recession. The President sealed himself off on the week of the convention, concentrating on his speech and the economy. Yet, no one would be prepared for what was to come next...

Projected Map: Updated

Obama 257
Palin  200
Tossup     81

Key States:
Ohio
Obama 48%
Palin   48%

Florida
Palin 47%
Obama 47%

Pennsylvania
Obama 50%
Palin   48%

Nevada
Palin 49%
Obama 48%

Colorado
Palin 50%
Obama 46%

North Carolina
Palin 47%
Obama 47%

Virginia
Obama 48%
Palin   47%

Obama vs. Palin
Obama 47.9%
Palin   46.5%

Obama Approval Ratings:
Approve: 41%
Disapprove: 56%

Palin Favorable Ratings: (2011, entry into race)
Approve: 39%
Disapprove: 59%

Palin Favorable Ratings: (2012, pre-convention)
Approve: 41%
Disapprove: 55%

Palin Favorable Ratings: 2012, post-convention)
Approve: 48%
Disapprove: 50%

The Democratic Convention:
With his approval ratings around forty four percent Barack Obama headed into the last night of his convention following a week so-so speeches. Perhaps the highlight of the convention was the keynote speech given by Andrew Cuomo. He proved himself to be a rising star in the party and a contender for 2016.

"Sarah Palin is trying to turn America back. Turn America back to a forgotten era, a long forgotten era, one that seems so long ago, yet was only four years ago my friends. The America she sees is not the one we all see. It is an America of inequality, stagnant economy and taxes for the rich. That's not America, that's not my American, it's not your America, it's not our America!"

In Obama's speech praised Palin for her accomplishment as a woman in politics, but criticized her for lacking the experience needed to be President.

"...There are those who have criticized me for being a little wet behind the ears when I took office, but hey I think we've done alright. We could of had had a depression, we stopped it. America is slowly going back to work and our economy is growing. Now I could have given up and said I quit, but I've stayed the course and America is the better for it. We don't give in or give up. If it gets tough we don't stop, because that's not what America is about..."

Obama seemed to regain some momentum from his convention, especially when it came to the mantle of experience, something he couldn't run on four years earlier.

Headlines following his speech:
Politico: "Obama Hits Palin on Experience"
Wall Street Journal: "We could of"; Obama comes out swinging.
New York Times:    "The Gloves are off!"

Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 48.9%
Palin   45.0%

Obama 270
Palin   200
Tossup        68

Key States:
Ohio
Obama 49.0%
Palin   48.9%

Georgia
Palin 50.3%
Obama 47.7%

Nevada
Obama 48%
Palin   48%

North Carolina
Obama 49.11%
Palin   49.09%

Obama Approval Ratings:
Approve: 45%
Disapprove: 50%

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 09:31:54 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2011, 07:23:26 AM by NHI »

The First Presidential Debate took place at St. Anselm's College in New Hampshire. The focus of the debate was on Foreign Policy. Obama seemed to have the advantage over Palin, but she managed to avoid making any gaffes and stuck to her talking points, especially when it came to jabbing at Obama on matters such as Libya.

"Mr. President, I have to ask as many of Americans do, what was our reason for getting involved in Libya. Was it as matter of national security?

"Sarah, Gaddafi's regime has fallen,"

"Well, last time I checked he's still alive, Mr. President.

"But his regime has fallen, the Libyian people have risen up and taken control. Gaddafi will eventually be found, but the point is he's out of power."

"Well Mr. President you haven't answered my question on what's our mission there. Are we nation building, is it regime change? Mr. President what's going on?

"Governor, with all due respect you don't decide foreign policy, you don't set the agenda. I do, alright."

"Well, I am vying for that job Mr. President."

The debate was lively civil, save for Palin and Obama's exchange over Libya. The President was largely seen as the winner of the debate, but Palin did prove she was a tough fighter and did not self implode as many pundits predicted.

Headlines the following day:
Politico: "Palin lives another day"
Wall Street Journal: "I'm vying for that job"
New York Times:     "Obama Maintains Lead; Palin fights"

Who won the First Presidential Debate?
Obama 40%
Palin   29%

Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 49%
Palin   45%

Is Gov. Sarah Palin qualified to be President?
Yes: 44%
No:  49%

The one and only Vice Presidential Debate took place at the University of Mississippi between Vice President Joe Bide and Republican Vice Presidential Nominee Jon Huntsman. The content ranged from foreign to domestic policy. Huntsman cited his experience as Ambassador to China would help in dealing with foreign affairs. While, Biden cited the victories the Obama Administration had made in the area of foreign matters.

"Bin Laden is dead. The wars are coming to an end, slowly, but they are coming to an end. Now Barack- Pres. Obama has had to make some of the most crucial decisions since Franklin Roosevelt in my opinion and he has displayed tremendous courage and experience."

"Mr. Vice President, I don't question or discredit Pres. Obamas' accomplishments. I applaud him for the death of Bin Laden, but it goes beyond it sir. The wars have increased, this President promised to end them. This President promised an end to cowboy style diplomacy and he's only continued it with nation building in Libya-"

"Mr. Huntsman--"

"Please sir, let me finish. Iran is closer to obtaining a nuclear bomb, and China, probably the most important of all foreign matters, this President has been flat footed. I was there from 2009 until 2011 and let me tell you something and the American people. They are confident in that country. They believe they're the best and sure they've achieved success, but a lot of it was in part due to us. They steal our intellectual property, they manipulate their currency, their human rights are deplorable and yet we've done nothing. We're letting them gain ground and if the trend continues they'll surpass us as the number one economy and frankly I don't see that as a good thing. This is the greatest nation that ever was, and under a Palin Administration there will be no second rate economy for the United States of America. It's time we got serious about China, and with Pres. Palin we'll do it."

Biden attempted to rebut Huntsman, but ended up making a major gaffe which handed the debate to the former Utah Governor. The Vice President became flustered in his speech and referred to China as having "human rights that aren't perfect, but are better than some places."

Huntsman took that moment to finish Biden, "Mr. Vice President their one child policy, their lack of religious freedom or freedom of the press, an abandonment of legal rights, sir if you say that their humans rights aren't perfect, that's an understatement. I have some experience on China as I've stated and Mr. Vice President I am astonished by your statement. China has modeled some of their success after capitalism, but they are not on par with the United States. If they model their human rights after the United States then things maybe a little more on par."

Who won the Vice Presidential Debate?
Huntsman 59%
Biden 37%

Following the Vice Presidential Debate a major blow was rendered to the Obama campaign, the Supreme Court finally ruled on the Health Care Legislation, also known as Obamacare. The Court ruled the mandate portion of the law as unconstitutional, but let the rest of the law stand.

Palin Tweeted:One win for the American people and come January we will begin the process to fully repeal the job killing bill Obamacare!

Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 49%
Palin   47%

Palin was gaining ground and Obama seemed to be stalled. With his approvals still in the low forties and the economy heading towards the brink of recession he looked to pull out all stops and reverse the decline of his campaign and presidency...

zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 09:44:37 PM »

You left out a post convention bounce for Obama, that is pretty common.
But so far great timeline keep it up!
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 07:11:46 AM »

Thanks for catching me on the Democratic Convention. Has been added to second post on this page.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:56:46 PM »

Fantastic timeline! A great read! I can't wait to see how it progresses. Say, if Palin wins the Presidency, does Ron Paul get a cabinet position? Wink
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 04:16:44 PM »

Fantastic timeline! A great read! I can't wait to see how it progresses. Say, if Palin wins the Presidency, does Ron Paul get a cabinet position? Wink

We'll see...
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 10:07:23 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2011, 08:59:48 AM by NHI »

As Palin and Obama prepared for the second presidential debate; a town hall style format at Belmont University in Nashville, Tennessee the financial markets took the biggest hit since 2008. Investors panicked and the great intensity arose around the nation.

Headlines:
Politico: "Market's Big Plunge, Will Obama feel it?"
New York Times: Worst Day for Wall Street Since '08
Wall Street Journal: "Nightmare on Wall Street"

Palin was quick to respond following the hit on wall street and tweeted: "November 6th cannot come fast enough!"

Obama took a hit for the market's fall, and with a barrage of campaign ad attacking him from different groups his approval rating dipped to 37%. He went into the debate hoping to regain the momentum from  Palin. He had been dealt a blow with his Health Care Law and now on the economy. An off the cuff remark he made while at a fundraiser had him saying, "I can't catch a break, somedays I think one is enough, but then I look at the republicans and I say Barack you've got to run!"

Palin was largely seen as the frontrunner going into the debate and Obama liked that opportunity, hoping to play himself as the underdog and win on his efforts and progress that had been made since 2009. Chris Matthews' commentary seemed to sum up the mood of liberals everywhere:

Matthews: Let me finish tonight with the Presidential debate in Nashville. Tonight The President's got to be Superman, not Batman. He's got to steal the show, not hide in the shadows waiting for the right moment. That worked during the primary, this is the big leagues now and his future and presidency is on the line. He's got to nail her on quitting the governorship, He's got to nail her experience. He cannot dance around it. She's attacking him, he's got to fight back. Don't think about her a woman and her feelings will get hurt. She's in this race. She toppled Mitt Romney, she's taken on the big boys in her own state, she endured the gaffes of 2008 and here she is on the cusps of history. If he doesn't act the initials P.P. will be short for President Palin. That's Hardball, I'm Chris Matthews...more politics ahead with Al Sharpton.

The Second Debate got out to a rousing start with the first question being about the Supreme Court's ruling on the Mandate portion of Obamacare. Gov. Palin responded to the question and took great delight in answering it.

"I'm rather shocked, not on the ruling, but on the lack of foresight from the President. For a Constitutional lawyer I would have expected that to of been a red flag. Mandates are wrong, they are unconstitutional and the ruling by the supreme court illustrates boldly what is wrong with this piece of legislation. It will not stand and when I'm President we will repeal it."

"Sarah I know this is like Christmas to you and all conservatives out there,

"And to most Americans,"

(Chuckles) "The fact is the law was not overturned and what we did is historic. No more will people say of America, everyone doesn't have health insurance. People like it. I'm proud and I won't run away from it.

"Mr. President, only about 35% of Americans favor the law, so I would not call it liked. Now I'm not for saying you can't have health insurance, I am against this law which will bankrupt America. It is another entitlement we cannot afford to take on."

"There you go, trying to take that line that every republican has spun, oh it's socialism oh it's bankrupting us. Sarah, that old yarn isn't going to fly anymore."

"I'm for market based solutions, letting the people have involvement and choice in their coverage, not a government plan, a one size fits all, b/c everyone is not the same Mr. President and that is what the difference is here. I believe in the individual, and if I may, I've had the respect to address you not as Barack, but as Mr. President and do wish you'd show me the same respect, instead of addressing me as Sarah in a belittling tone."

"If you think that was belittling, I'm sorry but you're going to have to get over this thin skinned appetite if you want to hold this job, and on the issue of governor, you were governor, but then you quit, but if it satisfies you I'll address you as Governor from now on."

Who won the Second Presidential  Debate?
Palin 46%
Obama 45%

Is Gov. Sarah Palin Qualified to be President?
Yes: 47%
No:  49%

Obama's last remark seemed to draw some criticism from all side, with many saying that he appeared condescending towards Palin and that his remarks with over the line. Karl Rove offered a blasting response of the President's performance in the debate on the O'Reilly Factor.

Rove: The President is scared when he has to start attacking Gov. Palin in a demeaning manner. There is political attacks and then there is getting up in your face attacks. The President knows he's losing and is doing everything he can to destroy and discredit this woman in order for him to cross the finish line, and Bill latest Rasmussen Polling had Palin up by one, 48-47, so I'd be concentrating on fixing the economy instead of attacking Gov. Palin."

It wasn't just Rasmussen's poll that had Palin up by one, most polls now had Palin in the lead with just three weeks to go until election day. On Meet the Press David Axelrod hoped to dispel the notion of Palin leading and retrain the focus on Obama.

Axelrod: "I think people will go to the polls on November 6th and they're going to ask themselves two things, is America on the road to recovery and who do we trust? The economy is shaky, but it is recovering and this little blip we've seen

Gregory: Unemployment does stand at 8.5% right now, do you attest to that as the economy is recovering?

Axelrod: "Recoveries take time, but to finish, on the second question they will say do we want a woman who left the governorship to purse personal success, or someone who has stayed the course and prevented a second great depression. I think the answer will be quite clear. Barack Obama must be reelected."

Obama vs. Palin:
Palin 48.5%
Obama 47.7%

Projected Map:

Obama 231
Palin   200
Tossup: 107

Key States:
Ohio
Palin 48%
Obama 48%

New Hampshire
Obama 49%
Palin   48%

Nevada
Obama 48%
Palin   48%

Virginia
Palin  49%
Obama 49%

Florida
Palin 48%
Obama 48%

Colorado
Palin 50%
Obama      46%

Missouri
Palin  51%
Obama 47%

North Carolina
Palin 48%
Obama 48%

Michigan
Obama 50%
Palin   48%

Wisconsin
Obama 50%
Palin   46%

NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2011, 05:27:12 PM »
« Edited: August 27, 2011, 05:56:50 PM by NHI »

The third and final Presidential debate took place at the University of Tampa campus, and both campaign saw it as make or break moments for the election. Obama and Palin were essentially tied in all polls and with the economy weakening some saw it as Palin's election to lose, so she knew expectations would be extremely high. She had done well in the second debate and needed to exceed that performance.

On the day of the debate Huntsman made headlines following a confrontation with a voter at a town hall in New Hampshire. The voter criticized Huntsman and Palin for supporting an agenda that would favor the rich and punish the poor. Huntsman waisted no time in responding, following the interruption.  

"Ma'am please understand something, we're not running to give tax breaks to the rich, the rich in this country need to pull their share as well, however I know they'll take care of themselves. It's the middle class that we're concerned about and the terrible truth is President has seemingly forgotten the middle class. I know I won't, I know Pres. Palin won't."

The voter interrupted, "She doesn't even know Africa is a continent, how can you honestly run with her and believe she is qualified to be President?

Huntsman responded, "Because she has more experience than this President had when he took the office. She's been a mayor, a regulator of gas and oil, a governor. She took on people in her own party, she has a steel spine, unlike this President."

The day of the debate David Plouffe was interviewed by a local TV station in Ohio, in which he was asked about the unemployment rate, which stood at 8.5%.

"The American people don't care about it. It's just a number, it shouldn't matter. The American people need to look at where we were and where we are."

Going into the debate Palin and Obama were essentially tied in the polls,
Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 48%
Palin   48%

The debate focused extensively on the economy and domestic affairs. Palin chided Obama on his failure on the growing national debt and the unemployment rate. Obama stayed away from criticizing Palin throughout much of the debate, wanting to appear as a statesman; presenting his case for why he deserved to be reelected.

Yet the debate turned tense when Obama was questioned on the unemployment rate.
Moderator: "Mr. President, your senior advisor and campaign strategist David Plouffe said today and I quote "The American people don't care about it. It's just a number, it shouldn't matter. The American people need to look at where we were and where we are." Do you agree with his statement?

"Look what advisors or spouses say on the campaign trail is not the same as coming from the candidate's mouth.

Moderator: Do you agree with assessment Mr. President?

"I will say this, it is a number that reflects how much more we still have to do, but we've made progress, America is on the road to to recovery."

Moderator: Governor Palin, your response?

"Say it ain't so Mr. President, there you go again. Not answering the question. The trouble is when you took office unemployment stood at 7.7% and it has not been that since. You said if your stimulus package was passed unemployment would not go above 8%, Mr. President it has been all over the map. It's done everything, but go down."

"Governor, a year ago this time we still had it at 9%, so I would call it an improvement. It's not perfect, but it is dropping."

"I give it to you, it has dropped, but what have we seen it, over the last few months it has slowly crept up again, and now it's at 8.5% and my fear is it will continue to go higher if we continue your policies."

Moderator: "I'm sorry governor but your time is-"

"I know, but if I may just say this, in response to the first question. Yes, unemployment numbers do matter Mr. President, because there are snippets of the millions of America who are out of work and I find it insulting that you will not condone a statement by your own staff, or just admit yourself that unemployment rates matter, because they do Mr. President, they do!"

Now, I'm going to have to respond to this, Governor Palin but-

Moderator: "I'm sorry but we need to move on."

The debate pretty much returned to the talking points from both campaigns and no major gaffes occurred. The debates were all seen by a record number of people, the most was the final debate, having been seen by a record 63.4 million people.

"...Four years ago America was hurting. Our economy was on the verge of depression, but we stopped it. We still have more to do, so I ask for your vote and belief in me, because I know together we can go forward and accomplish all we set out to do. Thank you and Good night."

"...America is hurting. I've seen it as I go across this great land and it pains me to see the greatest country on earth settle for mediocrity. High unemployment rates and stagnant economies don't have to be the wave of the future. We can reverse the era of decline and bring America back and make her once more a shining city on the hill. I believe in her goodness and in the goodness of you the people, I ask for you vote and help to forge a new beginning. I thank you and May God Bless you and the United States."

Who won the Final Presidential Debate?
Palin 49%
Obama 46%

Is Gov. Sarah Palin qualified to be President?
Yes: 50%
No: 47%

Headlines:
Politico: "Unemployment Rates due Matter; Is Obama Toast?"
New York Times: "Small Clash, No Bite"
Wall Street Journal: Dead-heat Post Debate

The final debate seemed to only help Palin's case, but the national polls produced no clear winner, both Palin and Obama still hovered around 48%-47%, some polls had them tied, 48%-48% and only one poll had Palin leading 49%-48%.

In the final days of the campaign Palin was joined by her family at an event at the Statue Liberty, where Palin delivered a rousing speech to a crowd of little over a 1000 people. Following the speech she sat down for a one-on-one interview with Newsweek where she boldly predicted her political outcome.

Palin before her speech on freedom in America.

The cover of the magazine seemed to sum up the entire article.

An excerpt had Palin saying, "I'm not overconfident. I just believe so passionately in this country what I can do to get this country back on the right track, because we've not lost our course. It's never too late. So to get to the point of your question, I can win, I can beat Obama and bring America back."

A few days later Palin joined Nancy Reagan at a private gathering at the Reagan Library where she called the former governor, "Someone who would bring a smile and tear of joy to Ronnie's eye, you've brought the party back."
The campaign then compiled an image of the two together and began sending it out as a mailer to voters.

He defeated a failed incumbent.
He revived America's spirit.
Let's do it again, for the Gipper.
Palin/Huntsman, For America

On the eve of Election Night 2012 Obama and Palin spent their day crisscrossing America, from Ohio to Florida, to Wisconsin, New Hampshire, Colorado and North Carolina. Despite the bad news from the previous day (Unemployment shot up to 8.7%) Obama campaigned with the same confident, cool, calm demeanor that elected him.

"...I know it's been tough along the way, but we've come too far to let our moment pass. I'm still in this thing, I know you are committed. We made history four years ago, now I ask let's just do it once more. Thank you Charleston and God Bless you and God Bless the United States of America!"

Palin finished her campaign up in the battleground state of Ohio. Of the four candidates she had visited the state the most, with Huntsman, then Obama following. Palin once more made her case as the agent of change and a Washington Outsider who would fix the problems of America.

"Let us remember America is not broken, it is the leadership that has gotten us where we are today, but tomorrow people from Maine to Florida, to Texas, to California and to my home state of Alaska will voice together that it is time for a change. A change of direction, a change of ideas, and a change from Barack Obama!"

Obama vs. Palin:
Obama 48%
Palin   48%

Most polls indicated a dead even race, both candidate wrapped up their campaigns and went their ways home. Obama to Washington and Palin to Alaska. The campaign was finished, all the hands that could be shaken had been, the speeches were done, the confetti had fallen and the pundits were spent. Election 2012 was essentially finished, all that remained was the biggest part: Election Day!

Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies