Denmark parliamentary election: 15-09-2011
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:01:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Denmark parliamentary election: 15-09-2011
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15
Author Topic: Denmark parliamentary election: 15-09-2011  (Read 72167 times)
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: September 17, 2011, 12:21:45 AM »

Was anyone else surprised to learn that Denmark hasn't had a female PM before?

Though of course, they've always seemed -- to me anyways -- like the least "Scandinavian" Scandinavian country.
lowtech redneck
« Reply #301 on: September 17, 2011, 01:36:21 AM »

Heh.  If anyone is the least bit interested in an "American-style right-winger's" opinion, I'm not entirely displeased with the results.  It seems that the social-liberal party is the king-maker in this election cycle, and they are one of the three long-established Danish parties I would actually vote for.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #302 on: September 17, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »

Needs to be augmented with party strength maps for all parties represented in parliament. Smiley
And you shall receive.
I love you. In an intensely physical but nonetheless platonic way.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #303 on: September 17, 2011, 04:38:14 AM »

Though of course, they've always seemed -- to me anyways -- like the least "Scandinavian" Scandinavian country.

Sweden hasn't had a female PM yet either.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #304 on: September 17, 2011, 07:44:21 AM »

Wonderful maps Smiley
DL
Canada

« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2011, 09:34:16 AM »

Can anyone explain why it is that in Danish elections Copenhagen seems vote left compared to the rest of Denmark while innSweden it's the exact opposite and Stockholm is a bit stronghold for the right compared to the rest of the country (I don't know how Oslo is vis a vis Norway)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2011, 10:53:15 AM »

Can anyone explain why it is that in Danish elections Copenhagen seems vote left compared to the rest of Denmark while innSweden it's the exact opposite and Stockholm is a bit stronghold for the right compared to the rest of the country (I don't know how Oslo is vis a vis Norway)

This gets brought up a lot, but the answer (of course) is that Denmark is not Sweden and Stockholm is not Copenhagen. Or, really, it's to do with historic patterns of industrialisation (I don't think Stockholm was ever really an industrial city, not even in the way that London was - though that's not the same as saying it had no industry), class, wealth and so on, as well as political traditions; Copenhagen city has been run by the left for over a hundred years, while Stockholm has swung between the right and the left on a fairly regular basis (and this was even the case when the Social Democrats were absolutely dominant nationally in the 50s and 60s). These things tend to reinforce themselves.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2011, 12:08:14 PM »

The party vote maps will come in two seats (Left and Right) but will be posted at the same time. Will take longer because I have to work out the keys.
DL
Canada

« Reply #308 on: September 17, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2011, 05:09:07 PM by DL »

Well what ever the reason - I've always loved Copenhagen as a city (partly because it was actually the first European city I ever visited on a family trip when I was 8 - and needless to say at that age all I cared about was Tivoli Gardens and the mermaid and the pastries!) and their voting pattern is now one more reason to love it.

Now, I can't get this bloody tune out of my mind!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMbbg0k4Xeo&feature=related
Teddy (IDS Legislator)
nickjbor
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -1.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #309 on: September 17, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »

The party vote maps will come in two seats (Left and Right) but will be posted at the same time. Will take longer because I have to work out the keys.
Are all of these districts the same size population?
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #310 on: September 17, 2011, 06:23:54 PM »

Are all of these districts the same size population?

Not the same sieze, they're local city/community council districs, so they vary quite a bit.   
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #311 on: September 18, 2011, 10:25:54 AM »

For bigger images, the magic of right click remains the best option.
republicanism
Germany

« Reply #312 on: September 18, 2011, 10:33:37 AM »

What's the issue with that 3-4 districts in western mid Jutland? They really stick out on the A, V, K maps.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #313 on: September 18, 2011, 12:28:33 PM »

Purple heart
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #314 on: September 18, 2011, 12:52:23 PM »

Not going to happen, you just as well hope for the tooth fairy, either you get a left government which want a less restrictive immigration policies (through not by much), or you can get a right government which will keep selling out to DPP for a few tax cuts and a continued centralisation of power.

Less restrictive immigration policy, yeah right. The very important word in what you just said is "want". Your new PM might possibly want less restrictive immigration policy, but it's quite clear she is too afraid to challange the xenophobia, and that very little if anything will be changed on that front.  

You can think so if you have a superficial knowledge about how the Danish SD works. Yes the 24 year rule won't be removed*, but the point system will in worst case be replaced with a significant less extreme one, or be removed completely, giving access to any spouse in marriage where both are above 24. The first day after the election the entire left already said even before the government negotiation, that the increased border control will be dropped. Beside that the entire left support a losening of the asylum and immigration rules and that was before and up to the election.
I know it's a popular excuse among some rightwingers to excuse their cooperation with DPP, with SD would behave just as badly, but it's just a bad excuse. SD won't continue the heartless politic of the former government, neither will it open the borders up, it will push pragmatic policies toward immigration. As such some will find it to harsh, but it's ridiculous to compare it to the last 10 year of xenophobia.

*Mostly because it has been a enormous success, Muslim young womens has gone from the least educated group to the most, we have also seen a increase in the number of them on the labour market. 
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #315 on: September 18, 2011, 01:06:21 PM »

The right have traditional been split in the urban Conservative and the rural Venstre, the former more or less set up a autocratic regime in the late 19th century, which meant that they lost legitimacy and slowly collapsed. That together with the industrialisation was mostly focused on Copenhagen and a few other major cities lead to Social Democratic dominance in the major cities. the conservative stayed a viable force in the cities to the last two decades, where infighting, Venstre's takeover of their main policies and Venstre's move into the cities have slowly crushed them, and left them as the low tax party*.
Unless they find a empty niche which doesn't alienate their voters the descline of the party will likely continue. But they have done so before, in the 70ties they were in many ways the same situation as now, and they succedd in not only returning to power, but also get their best results in over a century and making their leader a fondly remembered PM.

*and that collapsed in this election with Liberal Alliance being even more agressive tax cut party, leaving them with only party loyalty as a reason to vote for them.
redcommander
YaBB God
« Reply #316 on: September 18, 2011, 05:16:02 PM »
« Edited: September 18, 2011, 05:18:39 PM by redcommander »

Not going to happen, you just as well hope for the tooth fairy, either you get a left government which want a less restrictive immigration policies (through not by much), or you can get a right government which will keep selling out to DPP for a few tax cuts and a continued centralisation of power.

Less restrictive immigration policy, yeah right. The very important word in what you just said is "want". Your new PM might possibly want less restrictive immigration policy, but it's quite clear she is too afraid to challange the xenophobia, and that very little if anything will be changed on that front.  

You can think so if you have a superficial knowledge about how the Danish SD works. Yes the 24 year rule won't be removed*, but the point system will in worst case be replaced with a significant less extreme one, or be removed completely, giving access to any spouse in marriage where both are above 24. The first day after the election the entire left already said even before the government negotiation, that the increased border control will be dropped. Beside that the entire left support a losening of the asylum and immigration rules and that was before and up to the election.
I know it's a popular excuse among some rightwingers to excuse their cooperation with DPP, with SD would behave just as badly, but it's just a bad excuse. SD won't continue the heartless politic of the former government, neither will it open the borders up, it will push pragmatic policies toward immigration. As such some will find it to harsh, but it's ridiculous to compare it to the last 10 year of xenophobia.

*Mostly because it has been a enormous success, Muslim young womens has gone from the least educated group to the most, we have also seen a increase in the number of them on the labour market.  

It will also probably be difficult, and not a priority for Helle to change the Danish immigration system because the SD has such a slim coalition in parliament. Only a few mps who become angered by a perceived loosening of immigration rules, could bring down the government with a vote of no confidence with Venstre and the DPP. I'm not an expert on Danish politics, but it does seem like Denmark has one of the strongest xenophobic sentiments in Europe right now if the DPP's success is anything to go by.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #317 on: September 19, 2011, 10:07:16 AM »

It will also probably be difficult, and not a priority for Helle to change the Danish immigration system because the SD has such a slim coalition in parliament. Only a few mps who become angered by a perceived loosening of immigration rules, could bring down the government with a vote of no confidence with Venstre and the DPP. I'm not an expert on Danish politics, but it does seem like Denmark has one of the strongest xenophobic sentiments in Europe right now if the DPP's success is anything to go by.

Honestly I have a hard time taking that sentiment seriously. PVV get better results in Netherlands, the Progress Party better in Norway. The reason for DPP success in getting influence is the same as the Norwegian Progress Party, it's stable, it get rid of the worst lunatics, when they open their mouth and it play after the parliamential rules.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #318 on: September 19, 2011, 11:59:21 AM »

And still polls far less than the openly fascist FN.
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #319 on: September 25, 2011, 04:49:36 PM »

Helle's message to British Labour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8JKTfLoD2s
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #320 on: October 03, 2011, 05:17:24 AM »

The negotiation has been finished
Here's the new government.

http://politiken.dk/newsinenglish/ECE1410871/new-govt--the-ministerial-list/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

The surprise is how weak posts the Social Liberals got (beside Margrethe Vestager), but it seem to have been the price for SD and SPP compromises on taxation. Beside that SPP have gotten some surprising heavy posts, through the foreign ministry has been weaken. But it seem to have benefitted Villy Søvndal, who has been left with the more ideological aspect of foreign policy, while the more practical and pragmatic aspect has been left to the Export and Foreign Trade Minister, the Development Minister and the Europe Minister.
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #321 on: October 03, 2011, 05:29:29 AM »

Which is the more powerful/influencial out of Economy Minister or Finance Minister?
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #322 on: October 03, 2011, 05:39:15 AM »

Which is the more powerful/influencial out of Economy Minister or Finance Minister?

Finance Minister. In many way the difference can be described more or less as the Finance Ministry makes the annual budget, while the Economy Ministry ensure that the former has used the right numbers. So the Economy Ministry is more or less a internal control ministry with little external influence.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #323 on: October 05, 2011, 07:33:17 AM »

Finance Minister. In many way the difference can be described more or less as the Finance Ministry makes the annual budget, while the Economy Ministry ensure that the former has used the right numbers. So the Economy Ministry is more or less a internal control ministry with little external influence.

After I looked close on the new ministriesm, it seem that the Ministry of Economy has been  significant strengthen, it has taken over the financial ministy's prognose and statistic departments. That mean that the two ministries are around equally strong. 
You kip if you want to...
change08
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom
« Reply #324 on: August 05, 2012, 06:44:52 PM »

http://drugi.euractiv.com/elections/denmark-unpopular-government-col-news-513795

Missed this one.

The Red-Greens are closing in on the Social Democrats in the polls and both are dangerously close to the People's Party. What the hell's been going on in Denmark for the new government to have become so hated, so fast? The right already took to flack for the Eurozone crisis here or is it genuinely just leftist voters getting depressed by austerity from a leftist government?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14 15  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies