What is the probability of these potential candidates running for prez in 2016?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:07:58 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  What is the probability of these potential candidates running for prez in 2016?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What is the probability of these potential candidates running for prez in 2016?  (Read 3894 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 27, 2011, 03:38:44 AM »

What's the probability that each of these potential candidates runs for the 2016 Democratic nomination for president? (Make whatever assumption you like about which party wins in 2012.)

Joe Biden
Hillary Clinton
Andrew Cuomo
Russ Feingold
Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar
Mark Warner

And, if we assume that Obama is reelected in 2012, then what's the probability that each of these potential candidates runs for the 2016 Republican nomination for president?

Jeb Bush
Chris Christie
Mike Huckabee
Bobby Jindal
Mike Pence
Marco Rubio
Paul Ryan
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 10:08:48 AM »

You're lending no credence whatsoever to the idea of Martin O'Malley running for the nomination? 
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 05:43:14 PM »

You're lending no credence whatsoever to the idea of Martin O'Malley running for the nomination? 

No, I am lending credence to that idea.  Just like I think McDonnell will run for the GOP nomination.  The names I listed aren't the most likely contenders.  Just the potential candidates for whom I think the question of "Will they run?" is most interesting.
Modernity has failed us
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2011, 06:09:37 PM »

Joe Biden - 10%
Hillary Clinton - 25%
Andrew Cuomo - 85%
Russ Feingold - 40%
Kirsten Gillibrand - 40%
Amy Klobuchar - 55%
Mark Warner - 35%

And, if we assume that Obama is reelected in 2012, then what's the probability that each of these potential candidates runs for the 2016 Republican nomination for president?

Jeb Bush - 45%
Chris Christie - 70%
Mike Huckabee - 40%
Bobby Jindal - 80%
Mike Pence - 60%
Marco Rubio - 80%
Paul Ryan - 65%
cavalcade

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 02:43:45 PM »

Joe Biden- 10%
Hillary Clinton- 20%
Andrew Cuomo- 80%
Russ Feingold- 25%
Kirsten Gillibrand- 30%
Amy Klobuchar- no idea
Mark Warner- 25%

Assuming none of the below is the 2012 VP candidate:

Jeb Bush- 5%
Chris Christie- 60%
Mike Huckabee- 50%
Bobby Jindal- 20%
Mike Pence- no idea
Marco Rubio- 70%
Paul Ryan- 40%

Being the 2012 VP candidate automatically bumps you up to 80-85%.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 07:34:25 PM »

I'd assume some of these people are dependent on decisions of others.  Like I doubt Gillibrand will run if Hillary does.  Maybe the same is true of Rubio and Jeb Bush.  Wondering if all the New York Dems and Florida Repubilcans means we'd see bipartisan repeal of the ban on same state tickets.

Anyway, I'll order all of them, guessing most likely to run to least...
Andrew Cuomo
Joe Biden
Mark Warner
Hillary Clinton
Kirsten Gillibrand
Amy Klobuchar
Russ Feingold

Jeb Bush
Bobby Jindal
Chris Christie
Marco Rubio
Mike Huckabee
Mike Pence
Paul Ryan

Wisconsins bringing up the rear...
NCeriale
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 09:42:09 PM »

Andrew Cuomo - 85%
Joe Biden - 35%
Mark Warner - 50%
Martin O'Malley - 50%
Hillary Clinton - 15%
Kirsten Gillibrand - 25%
Amy Klobuchar - 25%
Russ Feingold - 30%

Jeb Bush - 35%
Bobby Jindal - 65%
Chris Christie - 80%
Marco Rubio - 65%
Mike Huckabee - 35%
Mike Pence - 50%
Paul Ryan - 35%
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »

I'd assume some of these people are dependent on decisions of others.  Like I doubt Gillibrand will run if Hillary does.  Maybe the same is true of Rubio and Jeb Bush.  Wondering if all the New York Dems and Florida Repubilcans means we'd see bipartisan repeal of the ban on same state tickets.

I don't know about Florida, but my guess is that Gillibrand doesn't run if either Clinton or Cuomo runs.  Which means that I don't think Gillibrand is very likely to run.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What is Christie's route to a 2016 presidential campaign?  Does he run for reelection and risk a loss, or just retire from the governorship after one term like Romney, sparing himself the need to box himself in politically, as he may have to to position himself for the New Jersey general electorate?

A short time ago, I would have agreed with you that Christie was more likely to run than Rubio, but I'm starting to think it's the other way around.  Especially since Rubio is far more likely to be the 2012 VP nominee, which would set him up as the 2016 frontrunner.  Of course, I'm also more down on Bush's chances of running than you are, so that further inflates my suspicion that Rubio may run.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2011, 10:05:03 AM »

I don't know about Florida, but my guess is that Gillibrand doesn't run if either Clinton or Cuomo runs.  Which means that I don't think Gillibrand is very likely to run.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What is Christie's route to a 2016 presidential campaign?  Does he run for reelection and risk a loss, or just retire from the governorship after one term like Romney, sparing himself the need to box himself in politically, as he may have to to position himself for the New Jersey general electorate?

A short time ago, I would have agreed with you that Christie was more likely to run than Rubio, but I'm starting to think it's the other way around.  Especially since Rubio is far more likely to be the 2012 VP nominee, which would set him up as the 2016 frontrunner.  Of course, I'm also more down on Bush's chances of running than you are, so that further inflates my suspicion that Rubio may run.

Why do you think Gillibrand would pass if Cuomo ran?  That doesn't seem as clear to me as if Hillary ran. 

If Klobuchar is interested in running, she's playing it very close to the vest.  Then again, she's up for re-election next year so that'd make some sense. 

Biden seems to be clearly interested, even volunteering to donors unprompted, "Keep me in mind for 2016".  But I do think if Hillary were to run, he might decide it's pointless to compete with her (despite the usual "right of way" going to the VP).  I think even Cuomo might have second thoughts if Hillary got in, both because of her strength and because of loyalty to the Clintons, but that it probably wouldn't be enough to deter him.

I have only one connection to someone in DC and he seems to feel the CW is that Warner will run in 16, but I have no clue how reliable that is.  And of course, he was expected to run in 08 too.

Another name to add to the mix is Hickenlooper who I think is a somewhat likely candidate.

Rubio is the favorite to be running mate for Perry or Romney and as you suggest, if he were, his 2016 buzz would start immediately and his status would be elevated enough that he wouldn't be expected to defer to Bush's decision.  I'd put him at almost 100% to run if he's the losing 2012 VP nominee, unless maybe he's a true disaster.  If he's not the running mate, I think a Bush run could maybe keep him out and though he hasn't been quite as blunt as Biden, Bush has been direct that 2016 is on the table for himself.  If he wants to be president, it's clearly his best chance assuming Obama wins next year.

I do think Christie will run for re-election.  Because of NJ's off-year timing, he'd have to announce in 2013 or even 2012 that he's not running for a second term which amounts to an announcement of a 2016 pres. run that seems way too early for his style.  Christie hasn't shied away from boxing himself in: his defense of a Muslim judge, for example.  And though he'd risk a 2013 loss that could hurt a 2016 run, he doesn't seem risk averse.  And given Christie's popularity with the pundits, I wouldn't even completely rule out a 2016 run after a 2013 loss.  I would have ranked him even higher but I think there's an underrated chance that he's just not interested in being president or that he doesn't want to go through the vetting required of national candidates.

Can't see what would keep Jindal from running.  Maybe if he runs unofficially starting in 2013 and finds himself headed for a Pawlenty path?

I figure Rand Paul will run.  Also, in a hard-fought Romney-Perry nomination battle, I'd say there's a decent chance the runner-up runs again in 2016 if Obama is re-elected and the runner-up's supporters play "I told ya so."  You might think Romney would give up if Perry wins but he may be obsessed enough to keep trying, who knows?
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2011, 09:54:04 PM »

Why do you think Gillibrand would pass if Cuomo ran?  That doesn't seem as clear to me as if Hillary ran.

Because most of the NY fundraising base and political establishment would probably go with him if he ran.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2011, 11:45:52 AM »

Joe Biden 5%
Hillary Clinton 15%
Andrew Cuomo  25%
Russ Feingold 5%
Kirsten Gillibrand 10%
Amy Klobuchar 2%
Mark Warner 25%

Jeb Bush  15%
Chris Christie  25% (no better than 55:45 to win in 2013 imo)
Mike Huckabee 10%
Bobby Jindal  60%
Mike Pence  30%
Marco Rubio  60%
Paul Ryan  80%
Wonkish1

« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2011, 03:58:05 AM »

Joe Biden - 10%
Hillary Clinton - 20%
Andrew Cuomo - 90%
Russ Feingold - 20%
Kirsten Gillibrand - 30%
Amy Klobuchar - 70%
Mark Warner - 45%

Jeb Bush - 30%
Chris Christie - 80%
Mike Huckabee - 15%
Bobby Jindal - 60%
Mike Pence - 50%
Marco Rubio - 90%
Paul Ryan - 30%
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies