What European countries allow handgun ownership?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:56:58 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What European countries allow handgun ownership?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: What European countries allow handgun ownership?  (Read 15318 times)
Kodratos
Ataturk

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2004, 03:05:05 PM »

Do any of you know which countries in Europe still allow handgun ownership?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2004, 03:06:50 PM »

Switzerland in all likeliness, considering they hand out machine guns.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 05:28:59 PM »

Do any of you know which countries in Europe still allow handgun ownership?

They got banned over here after the Dunblane massacre and resulting public outcry
Kodratos
Ataturk

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2004, 05:30:32 PM »

I know Baretta is based in Italy, and Glock is based in Austria, but I wasn't sure if those countries still allowed the guns themselves.
Julien
Squidward
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2004, 06:09:47 PM »

Hand guns are legal in France. We are probably the most hand gun friendly nation in Europe
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2004, 07:17:24 PM »

Hand guns are legal in France. We are probably the most hand gun friendly nation in Europe

I would have never expected that. Learn something new everyday.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2004, 01:34:22 AM »

They allow them because they would never be used if faced with a foreign enemy. They'd be used to buy foreign support. You know the old joke. "French guns for sale, never used, only dropped once"
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2004, 02:07:18 PM »

They allow them because they would never be used if faced with a foreign enemy. They'd be used to buy foreign support. You know the old joke. "French guns for sale, never used, only dropped once"

Who uses handguns distributed among the civilian population to face foreign invaders?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2004, 02:37:49 PM »

Who uses handguns distributed among the civilian population to face foreign invaders?

Sitzerland distributes machine guns for that purpose,.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2004, 02:56:35 PM »

Sitzerland distributes machine guns for that purpose,.

My point was about handguns.  Obviously machine guns have practical military applications in pushing back foreign invaders.
Huckleberry Finn
Finn

« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2004, 05:13:34 PM »

In Finland it's legal to own handguns. You need to get a licence, but I don't think that it's a big deal. You should probably join a hunting or a shooting-sport club too, but I'm not sure about that.

In countryside almost everybody owns guns, because everybody hunts.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2004, 10:08:48 PM »

In Finland it's legal to own handguns. You need to get a licence, but I don't think that it's a big deal. You should probably join a hunting or a shooting-sport club too, but I'm not sure about that.

In countryside almost everybody owns guns, because everybody hunts.
And the abundance of guns don't actually unnaturally react with chemicals in people's brains to cause them to kill people randomly?

AMAZING.  What guns do you have?  Our media teaches us that our guns do exactly that.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 07:20:32 AM »

Austria - but restricted. 

To apply for a carrying license, you have to be 21, take a safety handling-course, take a psychological examination (=250$), you must have no crimes committed so far and you have to give the local authority a legitimate reason why you want to purchase a gun. Normally you just need to say for personal safety reasons and the license is yours. You also have to be a EU-citizen.

After 4-6 weeks you´ll get your license from the local authority and after you took the safety handling course you are allowed to purchase up to 2 guns with mandatory registering afterwards and you have to inform the local authority if you change your place of residence.

I don´t know exactly how much the costs for the license application and the safety course are though but I think you´ll pay between 500 and 1000$ in the end for all 3 steps: The application, the psychological examination and the safety course.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2007, 05:41:48 PM »

Iraqis.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2007, 12:22:03 AM »

Iraqis.

AK-47s aren't handguns. Lots of countries dole out submachine guns and assault rifles to party militias, reservists, and the general public to fight invaders or rebels.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2007, 01:55:28 AM »

Hmmm, looks like WalterMitty's delusion about European gun laws is dead wrong...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2007, 02:30:55 AM »

Hmmm, looks like WalterMitty's delusion about European gun laws is dead wrong...

What´s he thinking ?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2007, 12:10:36 PM »

What´s he thinking ?

He claims that his views would be "normal" in Europe and always talks about "civilized countries" where handguns aren't allowed.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »

What´s he thinking ?

He claims that his views would be "normal" in Europe and always talks about "civilized countries" where handguns aren't allowed.

Ahh that´s a myth - aquiring a gun is just more difficult here in the EU than in the US, but it´s not outlawed, except in the UK I think. As far as I know you can get a handgun mostly everywhere for the conditions I stated.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2007, 01:12:19 PM »

Well all I'll say is... the percentage of active hunters in France is sure several times higher than in Germany, probably not much different from the US.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »

Well all I'll say is... the percentage of active hunters in France is sure several times higher than in Germany, probably not much different from the US.

Not only in France hunting is popular, also here in Austria.

My neighbor is county hunting master or whatever that is called and the friend of my sister also enjoys to go for a hunt and has 2 rifles. He also said that he´ll take my niece (now about 9 months old) with him for hunting when she´s old enough to carry a gun *lol* I´m not amused with this at all ... Tongue Further I have also 2 uncles who are hunters ...
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2007, 12:50:22 AM »

If a boar charges a French hunter do you think he'd a) shoot it or b) surrender? Wink
DanielX
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2007, 06:18:39 AM »

If a boar charges a French hunter do you think he'd a) shoot it or b) surrender? Wink

Shoot it. It's not France's hunters that are the surrender monkeys, its a goodly part of its intellectual/political class.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2007, 10:29:41 AM »

Wrestle it to the ground and cook it in red wine, of course.
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2007, 02:55:37 PM »

Is it a german boar? If so then b)
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies