What European countries allow handgun ownership? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:01:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  What European countries allow handgun ownership? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What European countries allow handgun ownership?  (Read 15356 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« on: August 14, 2007, 07:20:32 AM »

Austria - but restricted. 

To apply for a carrying license, you have to be 21, take a safety handling-course, take a psychological examination (=250$), you must have no crimes committed so far and you have to give the local authority a legitimate reason why you want to purchase a gun. Normally you just need to say for personal safety reasons and the license is yours. You also have to be a EU-citizen.

After 4-6 weeks you´ll get your license from the local authority and after you took the safety handling course you are allowed to purchase up to 2 guns with mandatory registering afterwards and you have to inform the local authority if you change your place of residence.

I don´t know exactly how much the costs for the license application and the safety course are though but I think you´ll pay between 500 and 1000$ in the end for all 3 steps: The application, the psychological examination and the safety course.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 02:30:55 AM »

Hmmm, looks like WalterMitty's delusion about European gun laws is dead wrong...

What´s he thinking ?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 12:16:08 PM »

Hmmm, looks like WalterMitty's delusion about European gun laws is dead wrong...

What´s he thinking ?

He claims that his views would be "normal" in Europe and always talks about "civilized countries" where handguns aren't allowed.

Ahh that´s a myth - aquiring a gun is just more difficult here in the EU than in the US, but it´s not outlawed, except in the UK I think. As far as I know you can get a handgun mostly everywhere for the conditions I stated.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 01:21:13 PM »

Hand guns are legal in France. We are probably the most hand gun friendly nation in Europe

I would have never expected that. Learn something new everyday.

They allow them because they would never be used if faced with a foreign enemy. They'd be used to buy foreign support. You know the old joke. "French guns for sale, never used, only dropped once"
Well all I'll say is... the percentage of active hunters in France is sure several times higher than in Germany, probably not much different from the US.

Not only in France hunting is popular, also here in Austria.

My neighbor is county hunting master or whatever that is called and the friend of my sister also enjoys to go for a hunt and has 2 rifles. He also said that he´ll take my niece (now about 9 months old) with him for hunting when she´s old enough to carry a gun *lol* I´m not amused with this at all ... Tongue Further I have also 2 uncles who are hunters ...
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 09:24:26 AM »

Antifa with guns? Huh Someone has a serious problem with reality here...

Bingo
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies