Who would you say are the most well known presidential loser to never make it
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 10:25:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Who would you say are the most well known presidential loser to never make it
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Who would you say are the most well known presidential loser to never make it  (Read 4266 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2011, 05:33:26 PM »

Dead people didnt rise from the grave to vote in 2000 like in 1960 Wink

Yea, instead they allowed less live people to vote.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -7.30

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2011, 05:36:33 PM »

1888 was not stolen.  Cleveland won the South virtually uncontested while Harrison won his states by smaller margins, thus Cleveland ended up with more PV.

1876 was a backroom political boss deal to let Hayes be President so the Democrats would get considerations in Congress and was a large part of the reason the electoral college in each state is now allocated directly on the popular vote winner instead of letting electors have a legitimate say in how they vote.

As for your thread topic, I would have to agree with above.  William Jennings Bryan was basically a celebrity in his day.  The only modern loser to hold true national name recognition at time of declaration of candidacy (and not be a VP like HHH, Gore or Mondale) was H. Ross Perot.

What about Bob Dole and John McCain? I wouldn't count them out(though Dole was VP pick for Ford).
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2011, 06:24:14 PM »

1888 was not stolen.  Cleveland won the South virtually uncontested while Harrison won his states by smaller margins, thus Cleveland ended up with more PV.
Harrison won his states because the Democrats political machines hated Cleveland so they rigged it for Harrison.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2011, 09:35:58 PM »

Harrison won his states because the Democrats political machines hated Cleveland so they rigged it for Harrison.

Pretty much this and why the Dems didn't nominated a gold democrat back in 1896.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2011, 10:22:14 PM »

Henry Clay - who should have been President. Sad
Jack1475
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2011, 12:20:11 AM »

Both John Kerry and Al Gore were people who everyone thought would win, and they lost.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2011, 01:02:52 AM »

How about John Quincy Adams. He didn't even receive the plurality of the electors.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2011, 04:15:07 PM »

Both John Kerry and Al Gore were people who everyone thought would win, and they lost.

Both John Kerry and Al Gore were neil bitting Bush in the polls but still weren't really the favorites in the election. Actually, Bush was beating Gore in most polls back in 2000 according to phk. Gore and Kerry weren't strong candidates to run for president and this is coming from a independent democrat that dispise Bush and co.
WillK

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »

How about John Quincy Adams. He didn't even receive the plurality of the electors.
He still won the presidency, so he doesnt fit the subject. 
WillK

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 11:21:26 AM »

to the White House?

I might have to go with Al Gore but Ross Perot, Bob Dole, John McCain, Barry Goldwater, George McGovern, Stevenson and Thomas E Dewey are up there. Henry Clay but I'm not convinced any pre 20 century candidate would come to mind in most people since most people tend to be ignorant about subjects such as history and politics.

I think Henry Clay is more well known to the average person than Stevenson or Dewey, and for younger people Goldwater and McGovern arent that well known.

I'd go with Dukakis, Kerry and Gore from recent years.  Burr and Clay from the past.
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 04:01:27 PM »

to the White House?

I might have to go with Al Gore but Ross Perot, Bob Dole, John McCain, Barry Goldwater, George McGovern, Stevenson and Thomas E Dewey are up there. Henry Clay but I'm not convinced any pre 20 century candidate would come to mind in most people since most people tend to be ignorant about subjects such as history and politics.

I think Henry Clay is more well known to the average person than Stevenson or Dewey, and for younger people Goldwater and McGovern arent that well known.

I'd go with Dukakis, Kerry and Gore from recent years.  Burr and Clay from the past.

AARON BURR! Sorry if I'm acting like Boss Tweed but I think the Burr-Hamliton feud was one of the greatest of all time. Why Kerry and Dukakis? Not to say they are unknown but not two of the most widely known presidential candidates of the past.
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2011, 06:26:47 PM »

Lol@ people saying any name older than Al Gore.
Mr. Taft Republican
Taft4Prez
United States

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2011, 07:00:05 PM »

William Jennings Bryan.
WillK

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2011, 10:02:06 PM »

to the White House?

AARON BURR! Sorry if I'm acting like Boss Tweed but I think the Burr-Hamliton feud was one of the greatest of all time. Why Kerry and Dukakis? Not to say they are unknown but not two of the most widely known presidential candidates of the past.

Kerry losing to Bush doesnt seem that long ago, so i figured it would still be remembered.
Dukakis... I don't know, maybe its just that i'm from Massachusetts.
Roemerista
MQuinn
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 5.91

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2011, 11:22:55 PM »

What about good ol' George McClellan?
Username MechaRFK
RFK
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 07:09:01 PM »

What about good ol' George McClellan?

Probably not.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 07:52:16 PM »
« Edited: September 02, 2011, 08:16:15 PM by Senator SayNoToRomney »

William Jennings Bryan (although he's only well known for the Scopes trial, and not his failed campaigns), Al Gore.

I considered including Henry Clay but he's not as well known.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies