Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 18, 2017, 10:51:28 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Cast your Ballot in the 2016 Mock Election

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: Generally Useless, Cath, TJ in Wisco)
| | |-+  The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 42 Print
Author Topic: The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 180952 times)
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 05, 2012, 12:46:05 pm »
Ignore

Why do you assume I wouldn't love my child?
I'm not at all accusing you of not loving your hypothetical child. I'm simply pointing out that by being so intolerant of their lifestyle (getting pissed when they bring their partner around) you're making life a lot, lot harder for them than it needs to be.

Love does not mean always agreeing with everything someone does. It is in many cases the exact opposite: still honestly hoping the best for someone when you are distinctly not in agreement. Loving one's enemies does not mean they are no longer enemies.

In the case of a child, I would have made a promise before God to raise that child in the practice of faith upon baptism and engaging in a homosexual act or entering into a homosexual relationship is a grave sin thus contrary to God's teachings. Their partner would not be permitted to enter my house as a partner and my child would not be permitted to see his/her partner. I would teach my child to remain celibate with every bit of effort I can muster. It would likely be difficult to succeed but what choice would I have? Loving a child would include wishing them eternal life in heaven not just temporal happiness.

Since when does someone not have the authority to choose who can or cannot enter into his house? Parents have authority over their children while they are providing food, clothing, shelter, education, etc. for their children.

I don't object to a parent stopping their kid from being negatively influenced by someone they know.  It's the reasoning behind this decision that I find quite bothersome.

Gabriel Cáceres

"He who feeds you, controls you." -Thomas Sankara
TJ in Wisco
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 05, 2012, 12:47:45 pm »

I'm not at all accusing you of not loving your hypothetical child. I'm simply pointing out that by being so intolerant of their lifestyle (getting pissed when they bring their partner around) you're making life a lot, lot harder for them than it needs to be.

Love does not mean always agreeing with everything someone does. It is in many cases the exact opposite: still honestly hoping the best for someone when you are distinctly not in agreement. Loving one's enemies does not mean they are no longer enemies.

In the case of a child, I would have made a promise before God to raise that child in the practice of faith upon baptism and engaging in a homosexual act or entering into a homosexual relationship is a grave sin thus contrary to God's teachings. Their partner would not be permitted to enter my house as a partner and my child would not be permitted to see his/her partner. I would teach my child to remain celibate with every bit of effort I can muster. It would likely be difficult to succeed but what choice would I have? Loving a child would include wishing them eternal life in heaven not just temporal happiness.

Since when does someone not have the authority to choose who can or cannot enter into his house? Parents have authority over their children while they are providing food, clothing, shelter, education, etc. for their children.

I don't object to a parent stopping their kid from being negatively influenced by someone they know.  It's the reasoning behind this decision that I find quite bothersome.

Entering into a homosexual relationship is sinful, therefore the partner would clearly be a negative influence.

"A thought sent back in time to the theocracy panic of 2005: If you dislike the religious right, wait till you meet the post-religious right." -Ross Douthat

Donald Trump is not a poster on the Atlas Forum, so no, I can't infract him for violating the ToS.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 05, 2012, 12:48:04 pm »
Ignore

Well it is rude for one, and contradicts the notion of love thy neighbor. Typical.

Yeah, after four years of being a non-disruptive poster on the forum, never considered a troublemaker, even someone who was liked well enough to be elected Atlasian President, Napoleon should be allowed to stay.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 05, 2012, 12:49:56 pm »
Ignore

Entering into a homosexual relationship is sinful, therefore the partner would clearly be a negative influence.

Gabriel Cáceres

Joe Republic
YaBB God
Kiribati

View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:06 pm »
Ignore

Can we outlaw religion, yet?  I'm sick of these horrific people cluttering up our planet with their bigotry.
TJ in Wisco
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #780 on: April 05, 2012, 12:55:11 pm »

This is why this thing got closed last time, because instead of actually arguing why something is supposedly "absurd", "ignorant" or "bad" you can all collectively troll anyone who disagrees with you and post it in this thread as though it's self-evidently stupid by your collective liberal group-think.

"A thought sent back in time to the theocracy panic of 2005: If you dislike the religious right, wait till you meet the post-religious right." -Ross Douthat

Donald Trump is not a poster on the Atlas Forum, so no, I can't infract him for violating the ToS.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 05, 2012, 01:00:37 pm »
Ignore

A religious accusing others of groupthink? You can't help but love this sh**t.

It's okay. Step outside when you're ready. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:03:43 pm by Governor Napoleon »Logged

Yeah, after four years of being a non-disruptive poster on the forum, never considered a troublemaker, even someone who was liked well enough to be elected Atlasian President, Napoleon should be allowed to stay.

TJ in Wisco
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 05, 2012, 01:04:29 pm »

And what if I was in the closet? Would that disqualify my opinion any?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 01:06:41 pm by Senator TJ »Logged

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 05, 2012, 01:07:14 pm »
Ignore

And what if I was in the closet?

Weird phrasing.
Anyway my best friend since childhood is gay and came out to me. When you're ready, you will be accepted more than you may think right now. Not to mention, you will feel a lot better.

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 05, 2012, 01:11:08 pm »
Ignore

This is why this thing got closed last time, because instead of actually arguing why something is supposedly "absurd", "ignorant" or "bad" you can all collectively troll anyone who disagrees with you and post it in this thread as though it's self-evidently stupid by your collective liberal group-think.

I hope that this thread gets closed once and forever if it continues to go down the path you are describing here.
Solitude Without a Window
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #785 on: April 05, 2012, 01:17:40 pm »
Ignore

It's sad to see how easily certain people are ready to make the lives of those they love miserable, in good faith.

Our numbers are dwindling. Our words are confused.
Some of them have been twisted by the enemy
until they can no longer be recognized.

Now what is wrong, or false, in what we have said?
Just some parts, or everything?
On whom can we still rely? Are we survivors, cast
away by the current? Will we be left behind,
no longer understanding anyone and being understood by no one?
Must we rely on luck?

This is what you ask. Expect
no answer but your own.

Bertolt Brecht
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 05, 2012, 01:37:26 pm »
Ignore

What is there to argue, really?  If you hold morals like this because of your religious beliefs, there really isn't much to argue.  I, myself, have my own interpretation of the Bible that pisses off both militant Christians and militant atheists because they don't think my view on religion is the right one.

In fact, this is why I almost never argue religion with people or even discuss it with those who don't share my theological views.  But it was that one post in particular that bothered me, personally.  Religion should never surpass human decency, in my opinion; especially since that was ultimately what Christ preached: human decency.

Anyway, this is my last post on the matter.  I didn't intend to hijack this thread and I wish I had just been quiet about it in the first place, now.

Gabriel Cáceres

Solidarity Forever
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 05, 2012, 01:55:48 pm »
Ignore

Now that that's over:

Does the US electorate agree with the birther stuff that Obama was not born here?

I for one symphatise with the birthers.  Obama has not conclusively proved his birth and Sheriff Arpaio is doing an investigation.

Republicans should use the birther issue more.  Why are they not pursuing it? 

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

19:08   oakvale   keep your furry horror out of here please

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

Senator R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.13

View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 05, 2012, 05:35:00 pm »
Ignore

I'm beginning to think Inks was right about this. Nearly every time a post ends up in here, it becomes a flame war.

Yelnoc
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #789 on: April 05, 2012, 11:22:58 pm »
Ignore

Maybe its time for the silent majority to speak.  All of the people who were bitching about Inks's decision to close this thread are, by and large, the same spammers and circle-jerkers that regularly degrade the quality of The Atlas.

Paul Kemp
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #790 on: April 06, 2012, 12:22:02 am »
Ignore

Maybe its time for the silent majority to speak.  All of the people who were bitching about Inks's decision to close this thread are, by and large, the same spammers and circle-jerkers that regularly degrade the quality of The Atlas.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.45, S: -1.57

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #791 on: April 06, 2012, 12:23:43 am »
Ignore

LOL ... dude, why do you even post here?  A large amount of your posts are dedicated to simply reposting stuff in this thread.  Try actually engaging in poltical discussion instead of spending most of your time on the Forum Community board.  After all, this is a POLITICAL forum.
Compassion Fills the Void
BRTD
YaBB God
Ukraine

View Profile
« Reply #792 on: April 06, 2012, 12:38:59 am »
Ignore

LOL ... dude, why do you even post here?  A large amount of your posts are dedicated to simply reposting stuff in this thread.  Try actually engaging in poltical discussion instead of spending most of your time on the Forum Community board.  After all, this is a POLITICAL forum.

Respect your elders Inks. He's been around on this forum A LOT longer than you have.

Because "Wow, do the other options SUCK"
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #793 on: April 06, 2012, 12:45:37 am »
Ignore

Respect your elders Inks. He's been around on this forum A LOT longer than you have.

Whoa dude. Don't you see his stars are green? Where is your hall pass?!

dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #794 on: April 06, 2012, 12:47:48 am »
Ignore

Can we outlaw religion, yet?  I'm sick of these horrific people cluttering up our planet with their bigotry.
If that's supposed to be ironic, it worked!

“To oppose something is to maintain it.
They say here "all roads lead to Mishnory." To be sure, if you turn your back on Mishnory and walk away from it, you are still on the Mishnory road. To oppose vulgarity is inevitably to be vulgar. You must go somewhere else; you must have another goal; then you walk in a different road.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #795 on: April 06, 2012, 12:54:14 am »
Ignore

I just glanced through his recent posts...he's had somewhere between 2-5 posts (depending on how you define things) of any substance on a real subject in his last 105 posts.  It doesn't take long to do because most of his posts are either one line, or long quotes with nothing added.  Inks is 100% correct.  He's like your buddy, but without the bright colors and old timey piano playing in the background.

“To oppose something is to maintain it.
They say here "all roads lead to Mishnory." To be sure, if you turn your back on Mishnory and walk away from it, you are still on the Mishnory road. To oppose vulgarity is inevitably to be vulgar. You must go somewhere else; you must have another goal; then you walk in a different road.”
― Ursula K. Le Guin, The Left Hand of Darkness
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #796 on: April 06, 2012, 02:41:40 am »
Ignore

The last 2 pages are good examples of why this is a stupid thread. TJ posted something that one can certainly find very disagreeable (I do) but which is an opinion and probably a fairly common opinion in the world.

Now, instead of actually responding to that and proving via argumentation why it is wrong, someone posts it here. General sneering ensues. When he responds here, his response is just quoted back. That's playground taunting of the kind that would be embarassing even to a 9-year old.

Are you guys really so uncertain of your opinions that you need to post them here to get validation? And do you really have to accuse homophobes of being closeted to make your points? I know some of you are young, but still. Grow up and either stand for your views or shut up about them.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #797 on: April 06, 2012, 04:09:22 am »
Ignore

The homophone ending up being gay meme has been around for ages. It is actually sad how often it ends up being the case. I thought TJ would have seen a reaction like that coming before he posted that. I didn't see this outrage when people (including moderators) almost bullied Miles off the forum.
I don't really put posts in here though except when I wanted to make a point about locking this thread.
oh, and im actually older than you but not by much
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:18:29 am by Governor Napoleon »Logged

Solitude Without a Window
Antonio V
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #798 on: April 06, 2012, 04:25:06 am »
Ignore

Thank you.

Our numbers are dwindling. Our words are confused.
Some of them have been twisted by the enemy
until they can no longer be recognized.

Now what is wrong, or false, in what we have said?
Just some parts, or everything?
On whom can we still rely? Are we survivors, cast
away by the current? Will we be left behind,
no longer understanding anyone and being understood by no one?
Must we rely on luck?

This is what you ask. Expect
no answer but your own.

Bertolt Brecht
Gustaf
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #799 on: April 06, 2012, 04:59:05 am »
Ignore

The homophone ending up being gay meme has been around for ages. It is actually sad how often it ends up being the case. I thought TJ would have seen a reaction like that coming before he posted that. I didn't see this outrage when people (including moderators) almost bullied Miles off the forum.
I don't really put posts in here though except when I wanted to make a point about locking this thread.
oh, and im actually older than you but not by much

Eh, I know it has. I don't live under a rock. It's just that it's rather crude. It is, essentially, just name-calling.

And I wasn't specifically talking about you nor about, strictly speaking, actual age. The mental age of this behaviour is under the threshold for being allowed on the forum, after all.

Also, I don't know what the Miles thing you're refering to is.

This place really has become a cesspool of degenerate whores...

Economic score: +0.9
Social score: -2.61

In MN for fantasy stuff, member of the most recently dissolved centrist party.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 29 30 31 [32] 33 34 35 36 37 ... 42 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout