The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:43:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41
Author Topic: The Atlas Deluge of Absurdity, Ignorance, and Bad Posts  (Read 192889 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #925 on: May 12, 2012, 12:29:21 PM »

Allende ... stole nearly all the farmland in the country...

Oh come on now, are you really thinking about what you're saying?  You do realize all that land was stolen by Spanish aristocrats from the Indians, where were still slaves upon it in Allende's day (and are so still today!).
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #926 on: May 12, 2012, 12:31:01 PM »

The programme of land nationalisation started under the previous government. Made up of Christian Democrats. I wonder if they were Communists as well.

It was also found that Allende had been planning his own coup and was planning on massacring most of the officer corps and several hundred opposition politicians and journalists, as only the inauguration of the regime he was planning.

Who 'found' this information and where has it been published?
SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #927 on: May 12, 2012, 03:33:30 PM »

... Marxism is practical?

Theoretically, I am an anarchocommunist, For the sake of being practical, however, I embrace Marxism.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #928 on: May 12, 2012, 05:15:13 PM »
« Edited: May 12, 2012, 05:20:54 PM by Calveit »

A wannabe dictator in the Soviet Bloc, he was.

It's a good thing you're posting directly in the Deluge.

Sorry, you're right, there's a decent case he already was a dictator in the Soviet Bloc.  Facts are some crazy sh**t, aren't they?

Kid, do you really want to discuss Soviet Bloc with me?

I've been growing up witnessing a rocky transformation from communism. My immediate family actually lived through communism, older members lived through the entire era. And even those of them who are far from any left-wing sympathies would laugh now at your stupidity and ignorance.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #929 on: May 12, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »

The programme of land nationalisation started under the previous government. Made up of Christian Democrats. I wonder if they were Communists as well.

Not nearly on as wide a scale, and not by a private army loyal only the the President, and not after disobeying thousands of court rulings including a unanimous Supreme Court ruling against it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

[/quote]

It was found by soldiers after they raided one of the regional UP headquarters.  I actually probably shouldn't have brought that up since Allende wasn't directly implicated by it although its at very least indicative of the types of people his government was made up of.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #930 on: May 12, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »

Also, Congress was very likely to impeach Allende at that point, which means, if we agree that removing him was a good thing, that a bloody coup and bloody years of horrid regime were absolutely not necessary.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #931 on: May 12, 2012, 05:41:24 PM »

Also, Congress was very likely to impeach Allende at that point, which means, if we agree that removing him was a good thing, that a bloody coup and bloody years of horrid regime were absolutely not necessary.

Oh yeah, that's another thing, Congress did impeach him and he refused to step down.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #932 on: May 12, 2012, 06:18:37 PM »

Oh yeah, that's another thing, Congress did impeach him and he refused to step down.

Wrong. Congress did not impeach him. Chamber of Deputies passed a resolution that has no practical meaning outside of symbolic. And the Senate failed to pass the very same resolution with a required majority.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #933 on: May 12, 2012, 06:22:26 PM »

Let's assume, for the discussion's sake, that Congress and the Armed Forces would be right to remove Allende in order to protect constitution. But does that justify long years of a bloody dictatorship that followed?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #934 on: May 12, 2012, 06:36:44 PM »

Wrong. Congress did not impeach him. Chamber of Deputies passed a resolution that has no practical meaning outside of symbolic. And the Senate failed to pass the very same resolution with a required majority.

They impeached him in the American sense of the term but just barely did not have the 2/3rds majority to remove him from office.  He then refused to resign and indicated he wouldn't even if it were passed with a 2/3rds majority.

Let's assume, for the discussion's sake, that Congress and the Armed Forces would be right to remove Allende in order to protect constitution. But does that justify long years of a bloody dictatorship that followed?

No, it doesn't, and I never said it did.  In fact they probably could've just held new elections then and there because Allende was so incredibly unpopular.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #935 on: May 12, 2012, 06:41:15 PM »

I'm loving this. Knowledge is power.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #936 on: May 12, 2012, 07:31:38 PM »

Just drop the whole thing, it's a lost battle. As the long as neither party becomes pedo friendly I don't really care. That's why I don't like the LGBT thing, I don't where it's leading.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #937 on: May 12, 2012, 08:16:40 PM »

Not nearly on as wide a scale, and not by a private army loyal only the the President, and not after disobeying thousands of court rulings including a unanimous Supreme Court ruling against it.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

It was found by soldiers after they raided one of the regional UP headquarters.  I actually probably shouldn't have brought that up since Allende wasn't directly implicated by it although its at very least indicative of the types of people his government was made up of.
[/quote]

lol
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #938 on: May 12, 2012, 08:40:32 PM »

All of them are in the "As painful as a brain tumor" category.
batmacumba
andrefeijao
France

« Reply #939 on: May 13, 2012, 11:16:52 AM »

This rather belongs in the Utterly Sickening Posts Sh*tmine, but for the lack of such thread I got to post it there.

Click for context.

While nothing will cause lefties to spaz out more than suggesting Allende/the Spanish Republicans/Sandinistas were worse than their opposition (why only things happening in Spanish-speaking countries cause spaz-out reactions I don't know), the fact remains that the Latin left, especially of the Commie variety, especially of the pro-Soviet Commie variety at the height of the Cold War, were and are not very nice people.  If you don't believe that, I'll invite you to move to Cuba.  Since they'll put you up in the relative luxury accomodations reserved for Useful Idiots, you should subsequently renounce your European citizenships and get yourself arrested for a real representative taste.  I'm sure you'll love it.  They have nice weather and excellent cigars!

Edit:  Addendum:  Latin politics is not good guys and bad guys, it's generally bad guys and worse guys.  Pinochet was very bad but far better than what would have happened otherwise.  Perhaps saying the coup was a "positive event" was a bit too breezy, more like a non-negative event.

This only demonstrates your utterly ignorance about Latin-American politics. And that you're nothing but an imbecile. Who else was a commie, Goulart? Well, If those 'commies' had won, there would be the rising of a rural middle-class, which would avoid heavy rural flight at the 70's (probably the most important influence on southern-american underdevelopment on the following decades) and foment national industry, making an inner force for autonomous development. That was the whole matter. There, here or in Argentina, the Andes, anywhere in the region. Lula's success is only and entirely based on a new version of this reading. We would all have achieved 4 decades earlier what Brazil is achieving now, alone.
Let me tell you something, that being an imbecile you surely have no clue. These countries were not a Caribbean island run by US controlled mobsters. Even if TEH KOMMIUNIEESTZ had reached power and installed a soviet regime (something that only someone completely ignorant about what was the Latin-american 60's and 70's left or even the hardcore left would imagine. And don't come with Cuba, Castro wasn't even a commie before the USA positioned itself against him neither Cuba was a mess before the eastern block debacle - It was actually the Latin-american country with the best achievements, around that time) China would be the comparison. The soviets were less interested in such a development than the USA.

The struggle wasn't between 'commies' and 'non-commies'. It was between autonomists who assumed this position based on emancipation leanings (the main 'commie' speech was that we were never really independent / free) and an ancient elite whose power was based on being the foremen of great powers interests. It wasn't about central planning. It was about anti-imperialism.
We're talking here about people whose economical interest (poor people interested physicians, inner market oriented farmers, urban middle class professionals) was the existence of autochtonous populations with consumer's power. There are few things more imbecilic than the double-standard a-historical a-geographical bullsh**t you'd written.
Sure, if you believe that the sake of international capital based economy (which is conceptually linked to imperialist control, always - and I don't really care about what you think about the term 'imperialism', It is a historically based and valid geopolitical concept) is above anything else, than I must agree that a good guys/bad guys debate is pointless here. But to anyone who believes on humanism, people's empowerment and emancipation, democratic control of your own future and other political concepts which are important to non-imbecils, than, pal, It was a good guys / bad guys opposition. And those 'commies' were the good guys. They were the ones making the defence of freedom around.

The most amusing thing here is the undying tentative of putting the blame on those who were taken from democratically chosen positions. Even after debate over debate (on academical conditions, surely - I really don't care about what hacks have to say) demonstrates It's pure feces. This only sickens me. "Allende would make a self-coup! Goulart would make a self-coup!". F**k!!! How people are imbeciloid enough to not laugh on this!
What if Allende nationalized the whole freaking economy?? He was elected to do It, imbecile. Presidentialism is not parliamentarism. Any impeachment based on opposition to these policies are just grotesquely antidemocratic. Once democratic institutions are preserved and people can overturn what was done (which is something, alas, that our neoliberal fake-democracies are unable to provide, vide Greece), I'm sorry to inform, this is democracy. The rule from the people, by the people and to the people.

The second most amusing thing (and It always tells a lot to me) is that every time I read/listen to this specific bullsh**t - Chilean 73's coup - the round's coup defender is always a self proclaimed 'libertarian'. This only demonstrates how fake are the great share of these 'freedomers'. It's clearly not about freedom, It's about economics. That same brand of imbeciles defends another islander dictatorship as the quintessential model for society's organization.

Anyway, don't bother answering this. Any imbecile defender of Pinochet's coup is automatically on my ignore list. And, to the other guys, sorry about the rant. I just cannot stay calm on the whole matter of the XXth century's second half Latin-american dictatorship cycle. Personal matter.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #940 on: May 13, 2012, 11:39:35 AM »

Oh, no. Don't say sorry for that rant, there's really no need to. Smiley
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #941 on: May 13, 2012, 12:29:13 PM »

This rather belongs in the Utterly Sickening Posts Sh*tmine, but for the lack of such thread I got to post it there.

Click for context.

While nothing will cause lefties to spaz out more than suggesting Allende/the Spanish Republicans/Sandinistas were worse than their opposition (why only things happening in Spanish-speaking countries cause spaz-out reactions I don't know), the fact remains that the Latin left, especially of the Commie variety, especially of the pro-Soviet Commie variety at the height of the Cold War, were and are not very nice people.  If you don't believe that, I'll invite you to move to Cuba.  Since they'll put you up in the relative luxury accomodations reserved for Useful Idiots, you should subsequently renounce your European citizenships and get yourself arrested for a real representative taste.  I'm sure you'll love it.  They have nice weather and excellent cigars!

Edit:  Addendum:  Latin politics is not good guys and bad guys, it's generally bad guys and worse guys.  Pinochet was very bad but far better than what would have happened otherwise.  Perhaps saying the coup was a "positive event" was a bit too breezy, more like a non-negative event.

This only demonstrates your utterly ignorance about Latin-American politics. And that you're nothing but an imbecile. Who else was a commie, Goulart? Well, If those 'commies' had won, there would be the rising of a rural middle-class, which would avoid heavy rural flight at the 70's (probably the most important influence on southern-american underdevelopment on the following decades) and foment national industry, making an inner force for autonomous development. That was the whole matter. There, here or in Argentina, the Andes, anywhere in the region. Lula's success is only and entirely based on a new version of this reading. We would all have achieved 4 decades earlier what Brazil is achieving now, alone.
Let me tell you something, that being an imbecile you surely have no clue. These countries were not a Caribbean island run by US controlled mobsters. Even if TEH KOMMIUNIEESTZ had reached power and installed a soviet regime (something that only someone completely ignorant about what was the Latin-american 60's and 70's left or even the hardcore left would imagine. And don't come with Cuba, Castro wasn't even a commie before the USA positioned itself against him neither Cuba was a mess before the eastern block debacle - It was actually the Latin-american country with the best achievements, around that time) China would be the comparison. The soviets were less interested in such a development than the USA.

The struggle wasn't between 'commies' and 'non-commies'. It was between autonomists who assumed this position based on emancipation leanings (the main 'commie' speech was that we were never really independent / free) and an ancient elite whose power was based on being the foremen of great powers interests. It wasn't about central planning. It was about anti-imperialism.
We're talking here about people whose economical interest (poor people interested physicians, inner market oriented farmers, urban middle class professionals) was the existence of autochtonous populations with consumer's power. There are few things more imbecilic than the double-standard a-historical a-geographical bullsh**t you'd written.
Sure, if you believe that the sake of international capital based economy (which is conceptually linked to imperialist control, always - and I don't really care about what you think about the term 'imperialism', It is a historically based and valid geopolitical concept) is above anything else, than I must agree that a good guys/bad guys debate is pointless here. But to anyone who believes on humanism, people's empowerment and emancipation, democratic control of your own future and other political concepts which are important to non-imbecils, than, pal, It was a good guys / bad guys opposition. And those 'commies' were the good guys. They were the ones making the defence of freedom around.

The most amusing thing here is the undying tentative of putting the blame on those who were taken from democratically chosen positions. Even after debate over debate (on academical conditions, surely - I really don't care about what hacks have to say) demonstrates It's pure feces. This only sickens me. "Allende would make a self-coup! Goulart would make a self-coup!". F**k!!! How people are imbeciloid enough to not laugh on this!
What if Allende nationalized the whole freaking economy?? He was elected to do It, imbecile. Presidentialism is not parliamentarism. Any impeachment based on opposition to these policies are just grotesquely antidemocratic. Once democratic institutions are preserved and people can overturn what was done (which is something, alas, that our neoliberal fake-democracies are unable to provide, vide Greece), I'm sorry to inform, this is democracy. The rule from the people, by the people and to the people.

The second most amusing thing (and It always tells a lot to me) is that every time I read/listen to this specific bullsh**t - Chilean 73's coup - the round's coup defender is always a self proclaimed 'libertarian'. This only demonstrates how fake are the great share of these 'freedomers'. It's clearly not about freedom, It's about economics. That same brand of imbeciles defends another islander dictatorship as the quintessential model for society's organization.

Anyway, don't bother answering this. Any imbecile defender of Pinochet's coup is automatically on my ignore list. And, to the other guys, sorry about the rant. I just cannot stay calm on the whole matter of the XXth century's second half Latin-american dictatorship cycle. Personal matter.

All-Star Poster.  A-List.  Sex Icon.   A+++++ would buy again.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #942 on: May 13, 2012, 12:34:34 PM »

Click for context.

I'm sure your fine with Castro though....
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #943 on: May 13, 2012, 12:35:46 PM »

Click for context.

While nothing will cause lefties to spaz out more than suggesting Allende/the Spanish Republicans/Sandinistas were worse than their opposition (why only things happening in Spanish-speaking countries cause spaz-out reactions I don't know), the fact remains that the Latin left, especially of the Commie variety, especially of the pro-Soviet Commie variety at the height of the Cold War, were and are not very nice people.  If you don't believe that, I'll invite you to move to Cuba.  Since they'll put you up in the relative luxury accomodations reserved for Useful Idiots, you should subsequently renounce your European citizenships and get yourself arrested for a real representative taste.  I'm sure you'll love it.  They have nice weather and excellent cigars!

Edit:  Addendum:  Latin politics is not good guys and bad guys, it's generally bad guys and worse guys.  Pinochet was very bad but far better than what would have happened otherwise.  Perhaps saying the coup was a "positive event" was a bit too breezy, more like a non-negative event.

Awfully considerate of you to post this directly into the Deluge.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #944 on: May 13, 2012, 12:36:47 PM »

Batmacumba, you're my hero!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #945 on: May 13, 2012, 12:41:08 PM »

Click for context.

While nothing will cause lefties to spaz out more than suggesting Allende/the Spanish Republicans/Sandinistas were worse than their opposition (why only things happening in Spanish-speaking countries cause spaz-out reactions I don't know), the fact remains that the Latin left, especially of the Commie variety, especially of the pro-Soviet Commie variety at the height of the Cold War, were and are not very nice people.  If you don't believe that, I'll invite you to move to Cuba.  Since they'll put you up in the relative luxury accomodations reserved for Useful Idiots, you should subsequently renounce your European citizenships and get yourself arrested for a real representative taste.  I'm sure you'll love it.  They have nice weather and excellent cigars!

Edit:  Addendum:  Latin politics is not good guys and bad guys, it's generally bad guys and worse guys.  Pinochet was very bad but far better than what would have happened otherwise.  Perhaps saying the coup was a "positive event" was a bit too breezy, more like a non-negative event.

Awfully considerate of you to post this directly into the Deluge.
I took the pleasure away from you XD
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #946 on: May 13, 2012, 12:41:57 PM »

Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #947 on: May 13, 2012, 12:47:35 PM »

Click for context.

I am in awe, yes, awe in front of your debating skills! Keep going!
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #948 on: May 13, 2012, 01:04:09 PM »

And therefore we prove why the Latin left shouldn't be allowed power, as we see the nonsensical Castro apologia/promotion, bizarro world-view with no relation to actual reality, Stalinist buzzwords, thinly-veiled genocidal aspirations, complete contempt for human rights and the rule of law, selective "democracy" (winning the narrowest of pluralities using massive fraud against the wishes of the vast majority of the population now entitles one to govern as an absolute dictator), etc. etc.  Hence, why they should never be allowed anywhere near power.  Would people in hindsight have been opposed to a putsch in Germany in 1932?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #949 on: May 13, 2012, 02:13:18 PM »

And therefore we prove why the Latin left shouldn't be allowed power, as we see the nonsensical Castro apologia/promotion, bizarro world-view with no relation to actual reality, Stalinist buzzwords, thinly-veiled genocidal aspirations, complete contempt for human rights and the rule of law, selective "democracy" (winning the narrowest of pluralities using massive fraud against the wishes of the vast majority of the population now entitles one to govern as an absolute dictator), etc. etc.  Hence, why they should never be allowed anywhere near power.  Would people in hindsight have been opposed to a putsch in Germany in 1932?

Deluged.
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 [38] 39 40 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies