Bachmann raising $ from people who think she's Jewish
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:19:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Bachmann raising $ from people who think she's Jewish
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bachmann raising $ from people who think she's Jewish  (Read 1417 times)
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: August 31, 2011, 06:31:29 AM »

Apparently, confusion about a candidate's religion isn't a phenomenon unique to Obama:

link
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 07:43:37 AM »

How can anyone with a modicum of knowledge about Michele Bachmann think she's Jewish?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 08:02:43 AM »

That story smells like BS to me.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 09:23:00 AM »

How can anyone with a modicum of knowledge about Michele Bachmann think she's Jewish?

The last name.

I once worked for a candidate in the mid 1980's named Holtzman, staunch Catholic, blond hair, blue eyes. She did not live in a Jewish neighborhood.  She was out campaigning and somebody said to her, "I'm not voting for you; you're a JAP."  She had never heard the term before and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm not Japanese."

We actually had to figure out how to handle it, because the population was about 2/3 Catholic and I thing less than 3% Jewish.

It is quite common, unfortunately.

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 09:34:29 AM »

What's a JAP?
sg0508
United States

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 09:44:24 AM »

The last name.

I once worked for a candidate in the mid 1980's named Holtzman, staunch Catholic, blond hair, blue eyes. She did not live in a Jewish neighborhood.  She was out campaigning and somebody said to her, "I'm not voting for you; you're a JAP."  She had never heard the term before and said, "I'm sorry, but I'm not Japanese."

We actually had to figure out how to handle it, because the population was about 2/3 Catholic and I thing less than 3% Jewish.

It is quite common, unfortunately.

More proof about how so many Americans have absolutely no clue.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 09:55:11 AM »

Welcome to America! In America, you are entitled to vote, or donate, to the candidate of your choice for whatever reason you choose, or no reason whatsoever. If the irrational preferences of some Jewish Republican donors are against Romney, it is no reason for him to complain. It's not like he hasn't ever tried to raise money among fellow Mormons  for similiarly irrational reasons.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 09:57:43 AM »

Last names ending in "-man" are often Jewish, although names ending in "-mann" with 2 n's as in Bachmann usually are not. I've experienced similar confusion firsthand, although usually not in the form of people giving me money.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 10:18:00 AM »

Last names ending in "-man" are often Jewish, although names ending in "-mann" with 2 n's as in Bachmann usually are not. I've experienced similar confusion firsthand, although usually not in the form of people giving me money.

I know that, but if someone was going to give money to a candidate, surely they'd know a little bit about the candidate? And if someone knew a little bit about Michele Bachmann, I think they'd be able to infer she's not Jewish.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 10:43:44 AM »

Welcome to America! In America, you are entitled to vote, or donate, to the candidate of your choice for whatever reason you choose, or no reason whatsoever. If the irrational preferences of some Jewish Republican donors are against Romney, it is no reason for him to complain. It's not like he hasn't ever tried to raise money among fellow Mormons  for similiarly irrational reasons.

You're completely missing the point (as usual).  We don't understand how anyone could think Michelle Bachmann was Jewish, not complaining about the preferences of Jewish donors.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 10:47:16 AM »

"Jewish American Princess," a stereotype suggesting that Jewish girls in the US are spoiled brats. 
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2011, 10:50:09 AM »

"Jewish-American Princess" (no, I don't endorse the term), which I understood referred to a 'high-maintenance' middle-class young woman who had a bloated sense of self, superficially attractive but not worth the trouble.

Draw your own conclusions about culture, religion, economics, and feminism.  

Michele Bachmann is not Jewish, as should be obvious from her un-Jewish religious beliefs and her un-Jewish contempt for intellectuality... but she is not worth the trouble, and for reasons other than spending more money on cosmetics than she does on food.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2011, 04:03:17 PM »

Huntsman can win Florida after all.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2011, 04:38:30 PM »

"Jewish American Princess," a fairly derogatory term.  There were some references to it in literature and television in the 1970's and 1980's.  If you were under 40-45 at that time, you probably heard it.

Interestingly, Bachman did work one summer on a kibbutz and is fairly pro-Israel.  http://tcjewfolk.com/michele-bachmann-israel/  It might be more mutual interests.

I don't endorse the term "JAP," or "Jewfolk," either.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2011, 11:45:57 PM »

"Jewish-American Princess" (no, I don't endorse the term), which I understood referred to a 'high-maintenance' middle-class young woman who had a bloated sense of self, superficially attractive but not worth the trouble.

Draw your own conclusions about culture, religion, economics, and feminism.  

Michele Bachmann is not Jewish, as should be obvious from her un-Jewish religious beliefs

Michele Bachmann's religious beliefs are correctly characterized for what they are, "Christian," and, not for what they are not, "un-Jewish."

Yes, it is rather "obvious" that Michele Bachmann is a believer in Jesus Christ.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oh, I suspect that folks like Bill Buckley  would dispute the uncharitable implications of this remark.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 11:58:47 PM »

Michele Bachmann's religious beliefs are correctly characterized for what they are, "Christian," and, not for what they are not, "un-Jewish."

Yes, it is rather "obvious" that Michele Bachmann is a believer in Jesus Christ.

Bachman was very upfront about her religious views in that article.  Like many Christians, she realizes that Christianity has its origins in Judaism. 

1.  She has a Jewish sounding surname.

2.  She is very pro-Israel.
Link
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 03:29:10 AM »

Michele Bachmann is Christian in the same way Osama Bin Laden is muslim.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 07:27:06 AM »

1.  She has a Jewish sounding surname.

Not especially.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 07:54:54 AM »

In the US, it is.  Many "Jewish" surnames are either German or Eastern European in the US.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:21 AM »

In the US, it is.  Many "Jewish" surnames are either German or Eastern European in the US.

On the other side, many surnames "can be Jewish". BROWER is an example, and I have no Jewish ancestry before 1800; the Brower ancestor that came to the New World in the 1640s was a member of the Dutch Reformed Church. 

The first Jews of New Amsterdam almost all had Spanish or Portuguese surnames.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 08:41:40 AM »

Yes, not compared to Levi and Cohen. Next!  
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 09:11:07 AM »

On the other side, many surnames "can be Jewish". BROWER is an example, and I have no Jewish ancestry before 1800; the Brower ancestor that came to the New World in the 1640s was a member of the Dutch Reformed Church. 

The first Jews of New Amsterdam almost all had Spanish or Portuguese surnames.

Well, there were Jews in the colonial period, the Solis-Cohen family in Phila, for example, but most of the Jewish population of the US have ancestors that came here in the 1800's, generally from the Germanies or Eastern Europe.

As pointed out, I know people with the surname Holtzman, Abrams, Bergman, Jacobs, Rosensteel, and Rosenberger, none of whom are Jewish, nor have Jewish ancestors (and my old girlfriend, who was Jewish, had the surname Brown).  Many people assume, from the name, that they are Jewish.

I can see people making that assumption about Bachman.  Coupled with Bachman's fairly pro-Israel stance, and that she worked on a kibbutz in Israel one summer, I can sort of understand why someone might jump to that conclusion.
BigSkyBob

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 09:14:47 AM »

Michele Bachmann is Christian in the same way Osama Bin Laden is muslim.

Only in the sense that Jimmy Carter is a Christian in the same way Osama Bin Laden was a Muslim: their religious beliefs were sincere.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies