So, who won ...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 05, 2024, 08:56:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  So, who won ...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: the debate today ?
Perry

Romney

Bachmann

Paul

Cain

Gingrich

Santorum

Huntsman

Obama

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 66

Author Topic: So, who won ...  (Read 2111 times)
Averroës Nix
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »

Actually, retrospectively, I think Paul won.

It wasn't his best performance, but he successfully provoked a fight with the frontrunner, something that increases his perceived importance considerably.

Romney, meanwhile, is unlikely to have gained any new supporters from his good performance.

If you look at the debate as 1) a confrontation between two front-runners, Romney & Perry and 2) a contest among lower-tier candidates for attention and relevance, there's a compelling case for Paul as the winner of #2.

Of course, Paul also flubbed some answers (I'm thinking of explanation for leaving the party in 1988 - I don't think that the question itself was not answerable, but Paul's answer was meandering and puzzling to anyone without background knowledge) and struggled to give concise answers. Sound bites are stupid, but any candidate should acknowledge that they drive coverage and should try to throw out a few during a debate. Paul has a clear message, so this shouldn't be a huge challenge. Paul successfully appealed to his fervent supporters and managed to knock one of the front-runners a bit off-kilter, but he didn't manage to make a compelling appeal to other voters, and that's what he needs to do if he wants his campaign to break above 5-15%.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies