Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:49:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Obama schedules joint session job speech at same time as GOP Debate.  (Read 14298 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: September 01, 2011, 10:39:32 AM »

children, please, all this back and forth and back and forth and back and forth...it's boring.  if you're not mentally strong enough to strike a killer blow, then sit the zuck down already.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #126 on: September 01, 2011, 10:42:02 AM »

This reminds me of the time people were flipping out over giving his acceptance speech at the DNC in a stadium. People love to freak out over non-issues with Obama, too bad he gave them some legitimacy this time.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #127 on: September 01, 2011, 11:28:02 AM »

Nine pages.  Wow.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #128 on: September 01, 2011, 11:34:39 AM »

yeah, it was like, "Please, tell me Obama is not that dumb...Oh, he is that dumb!!!...But Boner probably doesn't have the balls to again tell the POTUS who's driving the bus....Oh, he does have the balls!!!"
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #129 on: September 01, 2011, 12:15:46 PM »

Well, he doesn't have to let them into the Oval Office, at least for the next 14 months.

Don't count your chickens. The election is a year away, we all know measuring drapes too early can end up making you look stupid.

Well, in JJ's case that ship has sailed long ago.
It's like expecting from Mel Gibson not to say something because it'll make him look anti-Semite.

jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #130 on: September 01, 2011, 02:01:40 PM »

...how long before a Dem labels Boehner's rejection as racist? 

let me clear my throat...

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/08/31/wolffe_opposition_to_obama_speech_possibly_based_on_skin_color.html
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #131 on: September 01, 2011, 02:05:10 PM »

He is right of course. Bhoener is notoriously jealous of any man that sports a better tan than his.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: September 01, 2011, 02:13:32 PM »

or maybe the POTUS shouldn't have waited 32 months into his term before focusing on jobs

or maybe Obama should have come back from vacation a few days earlier.

or maybe he should have given the speech from the White House instead of from a joint session of Congress.  Could have done it Wednesday then.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe he needs the applause.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #133 on: September 01, 2011, 02:22:54 PM »

What part of "at least" don't you understand?  Or do you think Obama will be both President for life and immortal?  Smiley

Talk about twisting words, I never said that. Around here, you can never tell who is overconfident about Republican chances, they seem to think things are guaranteed sometimes.

Well, I said he's going to be in the Oval office for "at least" 14 months.  That doesn't mean he will out of the fifteen months from now. Roll Eyes  It means he's going to be there for at least 14 months.

Yes, talk about twisting words and you get DrScholl. 

Well, he doesn't have to let them into the Oval Office, at least for the next 14 months.

Don't count your chickens. The election is a year away, we all know measuring drapes too early can end up making you look stupid.

Well, in JJ's case that ship has sailed long ago.
It's like expecting from Mel Gibson not to say something because it'll make him look anti-Semite.

I can PX's excuse.  English isn't his first language; he had trouble a few days ago understanding how a calendar works.

Scholl, what part of "at least" don't you understand.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #134 on: September 01, 2011, 02:32:27 PM »

I can PX's excuse.  English isn't his first language; he had trouble a few days ago understanding how a calendar works.

Yeah, that happens a lot with us, non-MENSA members.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #135 on: September 01, 2011, 02:41:13 PM »

Ah, yes, this tool box. He's among my favorite "journalists" that frequent MSNBC. Always good for a laugh.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #136 on: September 01, 2011, 02:42:45 PM »

MENSA thanks you for disassociating yourself from them.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #137 on: September 01, 2011, 02:46:18 PM »

Ah, yes, this tool box. He's among my favorite "journalists" that frequent MSNBC. Always good for a laugh.

If I try to walk into his house without an invite, can I say it is based on my skin color too?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #138 on: September 01, 2011, 02:53:13 PM »

Maybe Obama calculated the fact that Boehner would say "No", because the media would then create a buzz promoting the Republican debate for which then more people including Republicans and Independents would turn in to watch, resulting in more Republicans getting a nice view of Perry so that he wins the nomination and more Independents get a negative view of Perry because of his backwards positions on various issues. And Obama now thinks that Perry is easier to beat then Romney ...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #139 on: September 01, 2011, 02:57:36 PM »

Maybe Obama calculated the fact that Boehner would say "No", because the media would then create a buzz promoting the Republican debate for which then more people including Republicans and Independents would turn in to watch, resulting in more Republicans getting a nice view of Perry so that he wins the nomination and more Independents get a negative view of Perry because of his backwards positions on various issues. And Obama now thinks that Perry is easier to beat then Romney ...

Ok. No.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #140 on: September 01, 2011, 03:04:47 PM »

I doubt if it will.

I think someone on staff at the White House screwed up.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #141 on: September 01, 2011, 03:06:40 PM »

Like engraved "Mr. and Mrs. John Boehner Sr request your presence" invitations?  You're saying there's no precedent for the president saying "I want to address congress on this date."?  I haven't heard anyone besides Boehner say what Obama did was unusual while House and Senate historians have called Boehner's rejection unprecedented.  Boehner's camp isn't even denying that they raised no objections when called about the date.

I think the new timing is better for Obama than his requested one anyway.

As far as I know, there is an invitation, by letter, send by the House and Senate for anyone to address a joint session.  I actually posted the link stating that, and there is an invitation sent, even for the SOTU.  There were some question on if one should have been sent to Clinton in 1999.

Congress passes a joint resolution first, and then invites the person delivering the address:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joint_session_of_the_United_States_Congress

While I'll stop short of complaining that the Obama thinks of himself as a monarch, and that this emperor has no clothes, at the least someone at the White House screwed up.

It was like Al Haig saying, "I'm in charge, here, at the White House," and quickly getting a call from Tip O'Neil saying, "No, you're not."

Yeah but that's a formality.  There's never been any known hesitation with the date a president requested so why expect a problem.  Even Boehner's own account doesn't dispute that they voiced no objection when they first heard the date.  There was no real reason for Obama to think it wouldn't go forward- that's never happened before until Coach Limbaugh called for this block.

I'm in the minority but I do buy that the conflict was a coincidence of sorts.  Not that Obama's people didn't know about the debate or even enjoy the humor of it but I assume they primarily wanted to do it as soon as congress was back in session.  First night back in session was the one Obama asked for. They probably figured one of the 20 GOP debates falling on the same night wasn't a reason to avoid the date, especially considering the debate can easily be delayed by an hour (and obviously would have been has there been a conflict).  They also wanted to avoid Thursday because of the NFL conflict but will apparently navigate that one without much problem either.

or maybe the POTUS shouldn't have waited 32 months into his term before focusing on jobs

or maybe Obama should have come back from vacation a few days earlier.

or maybe he should have given the speech from the White House instead of from a joint session of Congress.  Could have done it Wednesday then.

This is what I was thinking. Maybe he needs the applause.

Obama wants to show it's his current priority- hence, doing it as soon as congress is back- that he is dependent on congress to act- hence addressing them and calling on them to pass his plan.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #142 on: September 01, 2011, 03:39:03 PM »

Yeah but that's a formality.  There's never been any known hesitation with the date a president requested so why expect a problem.  Even Boehner's own account doesn't dispute that they voiced no objection when they first heard the date.  

It is not a formality.  The President doesn't get to order Congress to do things (except convene).  Somebody at the White House forgot.  The President cannot order a joint session.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I think it was someone on staff that forgot how this works, especially since having Pelosi on speed dial isn't going to work anymore.  It was a mistake; the White House corrected it.
t_host1

« Reply #143 on: September 01, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »

WOW,
Sept 8: going to haf to make a beer run for this one,
football,
big speech - because of the joint session, means - his jobs plan will have to be written down in advance, then CBO can score, and a GOP response;
wife's B-day - grill'n steaks and stuff, wonder if she realizes how big it will be... the evening?

I'll need to take a nap this day...

even if Obama reschedules - realizing, 'ya no, I ain't got anything new anyway'....

I'm still taking a nap.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #144 on: September 01, 2011, 04:44:24 PM »

WOW,
football,
big speech - because of the joint session, means - his jobs plan will have to be written down in advance, then CBO can score, and a GOP response;
wife's B-day - grill'n steaks and stuff, wonder if she realizes how big it will be... the evening?

even if Obama reschedules - realizing, 'ya no, I ain't got anything new anyway'....

I'm still taking a nap.

Bernanke is speaking earlier in the day.  Smiley
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #145 on: September 01, 2011, 05:02:45 PM »

WOW,
football,

I'm still taking a nap.

Bernanke is speaking earlier in the day.  Smiley

...and Becky Quick comes on at 6am

krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #146 on: September 01, 2011, 06:07:01 PM »

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-walsh-to-skip-obama-jobs-speech-20110901,0,6203960.story

Joe Walsh is going to be talking to job creators.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #147 on: September 01, 2011, 06:17:15 PM »

Well, obviously I am of no use to them. With you they have already reached their quota of hacks.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #148 on: September 01, 2011, 06:21:24 PM »

Well, obviously I am of no use to them. With you they have already reached their quota of hacks.

Hacks are welcome, along with everyone else.  Those with an inability to qualify need not apply.  It would more like they don't have any use for you.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2011, 06:25:24 PM »

Hacks are welcome

Yeah, we kind of got that some time ago.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies